Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,693 members, 7,805,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation (642 Views)

How To Identify A Fake Recruitment Outfit / How To Identify Scam Interview Invitations / Pls Is This A Scam Interview Or Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation by Aniwhyte(m): 12:46pm On May 28, 2016
LaurelP:
I have seen so many Nairalanders complaining and lamenting their ordeal in the hands of fake scam companies who invite people for interview only to introduce them to fake drug marketing business.
I'm doing this not only because these companies waste people's time, energy and T-fair going to such interviews, but also because most of these scammers extort money from hapless job seekers thereby making their suffering times two.
Imagine a scammer extorting #10,500 from a graduate who have been unemployed for years, not to talk of the transport fare wasted going to such fruitless interviews or job chat as they usually call it.
Some people even borrow money to pay these sheep in wolves clothing, who promise them heaven on earth. Some will tell you that you will make half a million within 1 month and all that. If you're not careful, you will take a loan that you will not be able to repay thus causing embarrassment and lack of rest of mind. An unemployed person should have only himself to worry about, not having debts also.

So I believe that if we are properly guided, we will not fall into the hands of these scammers.
Having said that, there are ways by which one can identify a fake or scam interview invitation and there fore avoid such waste of time and money. The good thing is that most of their messages come in the same format, so you will know its fake!

1. The message does not bear a company name: most of these scammers won't include their names on the message you will receive. All you will see are the address, the time and date and a phone number. A genuine company will not hide its identity from a potential employee.

2. The message will say "interview/job briefing": whatever job briefing means I don't know!
3. You will see a code or reference: something like "HR=0056" or "REF=002". This is an indication of the code number of the person who invited you to the "job briefing".
4. It will contain a phone number: this is the number of your referer. Most genuine companies don't give phone numbers.
5. You will see HR Admin in the message instead of company name
6. If you call their number, they will be reluctant to give info on the company.

And pls, ignore those people sharing job flyers on the streets, and those ones they paste on walls. Those are scammers and some ritualists too. And also most of these so called agencies are avenues for duping unsuspecting job seekers. Pls shine your eyes well well.
I will post the names of some of these fake companies/ agencies later.

Pls if you have any experiences inthe hands of these scammers kindly share it here so that others can learn and avoid them too. Thank you

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation by ritzyvic1(m): 1:40pm On May 28, 2016
You are doing a good work bro
See a sample of such invitations that I got

Prior to your application,you will be interviewed on THUR 11/2/2016 by 9AM @ 16 Ondo str,behind keystone bank,Moshalasi B/Stop,Costain.Lagos.ADTN
Re: How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation by Anijay1212(m): 2:12pm On May 28, 2016
Nice info
Re: How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation by maxwell767(m): 2:20pm On May 28, 2016
Op thanks for that vital information...

I nearly fall a victim too... I got a message for a job interview some time ago Bt according to the message there was no companies name nor email address... Only a phone number... I decided to give it a try. But within me, I don't need anyone to tell me it was fake, so I called the number, requesting for authentication of that message... But the young man that received my call was saying another thing entirely.... Lol... But still I said to my self "make I go see how this people they do there scam" at least make I experience as é dy go" lol on that day I jst dressed normal and went cuz am familiar with that area (mangoro iyanapaja lagos) when I got there the place looks awful in fact this was one of the shops around there... Lol
After writing attendants I went in and saw some guys and two ladies... In my mind I said see office lord have mercy" after they gave us test... Then the main deal started... Come see talk...
I began to imagine if this guy that is talking is actually from this planet... He was sweating all over... His hanky became soaked lol... Even some guys that realized what was going on left... And the lady that came in late left also... So for me it was entertaining cheesy

After the whole story.. He said that to be part of it we should pay 11, 000 and we will get form and license lol.. For my mind I said na now the story begin....
He then ask us to come inside the other side of the supposed. Office to see him after three guys went in and came out with form... Lol I began to laugh inside my mind.. This guys na them them.. I went in cus I was the last person lol... Make una no laugh me I jst wanted to catch fun... I went inside and he asked me my name. I told him plus other questions... I answered.
He asked my why didn't I go while other left.. I said I don't because I want to see the end of it

He ok do I have the money na there wahala start.. I said no

He ask what of half of it... No was my answer

He paused for a while and ask don't u have anything to drop even if is #2000 or 1000.. Lolcheesy I said NO I DONT!! the guy smiled and said even if is 500 to show that am really interested... Again I said no Sir with a nice tone
He was speechless/ dumfounded lolzzzz.. I looked at him and said u told me to come for interview and u are demanding this huge money from me are u employing me or am I employing u... Besides if u wanna do this kind of thing u don't ask for money immediately... He said ok so will I bring the money after that he will give me the form... Lol.. I said ok.. Make the matter for end there.. I collected the form and that was the end.....

Lalasticlala cheesy I no wicked na jst make I catch funcheesy

Maybe latter I will tell u guys the second experience... This one na girls them one use tempt me..cheesy fine girls oo but as a sharp guy overcoming temptation is my Moto cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify A Scam Interview Invitation by Egbafriday0087(m): 9:15am On Mar 20, 2017
NoYou are invited for a recruitment exercise on Tue. 21/03/2017 by 9am at No.1 Olabisi Close, Mende, Maryland. Lagos residents only. 080-3453-5808. How true is this

(1) (Reply)

E-terra Technologies Limited Entry-level Job Vacancies - 4 Positions / VACANCY! Work From Home - Earn Some Money As A Student - / Queensland Academy Fresh Job Vacancies (5 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.