Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,691 members, 7,805,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use (4111 Views)

High Quality Dashcams - Does Any Want Or Use Them? / Original Autel Maxiscan MS609 To Know Why Check Engine Light Or The ABS Is On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by FEGEITOK: 2:01pm On May 28, 2016
Forgive my backyard statistics

But it seems to me that 99.9% of local car electronics/electrical technicians use only a test light to try to troubleshoot issues

When service manuals usually recommend multi-meters for tests?

Which would you rather have?

Can a test light substitute for a multi-meter?

I think for me the answer is multi-meter. But just how do they get to sort out issues with just a test light and without consulting factory manuals?

I want to learn oooo
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On May 28, 2016
FEGEITOK:
Forgive my backyard statistics

But it seems to me that 99.9% of local car electronics/electrical technicians use only a test light to try to troubleshoot issues

When service manuals usually recommend multi-meters for tests?

Which would you rather have?

Can a test light substitute for a multi-meter?

I think for me the answer is multi-meter. But just how do they get to sort out issues with just a test light and without consulting factory manuals?

I want to learn oooo
Any Auto electrician who uses light bulb to test is a quack simple
Modern cars with ECU need a Multimeter to test diff currents and voltage plus readings, cos diff in voltage leads to behavior change in electronic components in our modern car.
This is mine

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:28am On May 29, 2016
both have a role to play in diagnosis.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by tutuwater(m): 9:04am On May 29, 2016
What is with abusing people using a straight forward light bulb tester. It is more effective to use a light bulb tester in checking for shorts and leakages. A multimeter has its own purpose too. Use what you are familiar with and stop abusing others.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by Nobody: 9:34am On May 29, 2016
tutuwater:
What is with abusing people using a straight forward light bulb tester. It is more effective to use a light bulb tester in checking for shorts and leakages. A multimeter has its own purpose too. Use what you are familiar with and stop abusing others.

Does a light bulb tell you what voltage you're reading? Does it tell what the polarity is? We're talking bulb here, not an LED.

Just so you know, a bulb has a hell of a lot more internal resistance than a digital multimeter. Measure across the 5V reference outputs from an ECU, and you could kill it. Same goes for measuring V in sensitive modules like instrument clusters, ABS modules, TCU's etc.

I have not had a test bulb amongst my test equipment for over 2 decades. I do have an LED power probe, and I seldom use even that. Voltmeters, oscilloscopes or picoscopes are all safe to use, and I rely more on these as modern systems become more complex, and measured voltages become smaller. Try measuring 900mV with a 12V 10/21W tungsten bulb, and see what the results are.

A technician who will not invest in a digital multimeter that starts from as low as £4.99 is a cowboy.

1 Like

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 9:51am On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
yeah exactly, and you also need an oscilloscope (this one na the father).
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
Bro nor fall my hand ohh
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 9:53am On May 29, 2016
Siena:

Does a light bulb tell you what voltage you're reading? Does it tell what the polarity is? We're talking bulb here, not an LED.

Just so you know, a bulb has a hell of a lot more internal resistance than a digital multimeter. Measure across the 5V reference outputs from an ECU, and you could kill it. Same goes for measuring V in sensitive modules like instrument clusters, ABS modules, TCU's etc.

I have not had a test bulb amongst my test equipment for over 2 decades. I do have an LED power probe, and I seldom use even that. Voltmeters, oscilloscopes or picoscopes are all safe to use, and I rely more on these as modern systems become more complex, and measured voltages become smaller. Try measuring 900mV with a 12V 10/21W tungsten bulb, and see what the results are.

A technician who will not invest in a digital multimeter that starts from as low as £4.99 is a cowboy.
bro u even gratified it with that name cowboy, its simply QUACK.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 9:55am On May 29, 2016
Siena:

test light (scope on a rope, lol), DMM and oscilloscope and scan tool are the four basic diagnostic tools a technician needs for the trade.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by FEGEITOK: 10:05am On May 29, 2016
After I called a local electrical tech to help me fix a short which I earlier posted about.

I stayed back to observe him and every time he performed an action my heart would sink.

He kept throwing away factory rubber shields, cutting wires here and there, and probing pins

The next day my MAF failed, I do not know if it is a coincidence or it is his use of 12V via the test bulb to keep probing the various components

The one that made me not ask him to come back was when he wanted to start working on the ECU while the battery terminals were still connected.

Thankfully, he came in the afternoon and when he said he would have to come back the next day to complete, we haggled over pricing

Then I paid him 50% and he left, I gathered all the insulators he threw away and tried to return everything as closely as possible to how it was when it left the factory and didn't allow him to touch the ride again.

I think that his work destroyed my MAF, I cannot say for certain.

But I cannot allow him to cost me an ECU in the name of fixing shorts

1 Like

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by FEGEITOK: 10:12am On May 29, 2016
Siena:

Voltmeters, oscilloscopes or picoscopes - how much do these cost for DIYs not professional level?

isn't the voltmeter embedded in the DMM? Do I need a dedicated voltmeter?
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:41am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Bro nor fall my hand ohh

Both have a role. Knowing when to use which is important. Quick diagnosis of "certain" circuits can be done with ease using a 12v bulb, with the right rating. Nothing about falling hand, just being realistic. A DMM will give you voltage, a bulb will give you a perception of the amount of current you are working with.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 10:41am On May 29, 2016
cocoduck:
test light (scope on a rope, lol), DMM and oscilloscope and scan tool are the four basic diagnostic tools a technician needs for the trade.
wen u say test l ight hope you dont mean light bulb wink
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 10:46am On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Both have a role. Knowing when to use which is important. Quick diagnosis of "certain" circuits can be done with ease using a 12v bulb, with the right rating. Nothing about falling hand, just being realistic. A DMM will give you voltage, a bulb will give you a perception of the amount of current you are working with.
how can a light bulb give you an accurate reading of current? GAZZUZZ as U know Im not a Mechanic but I am Engineer so I work with this day in day out so I can vest my experience in this part U nor go win dis one bross.How can light bulb tel U the direction of flow?
How can a light bulb test any component wen the procedure requires one terminal of the battery being removed? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by Nobody: 10:50am On May 29, 2016
FEGEITOK:

Voltmeters, oscilloscopes or picoscopes - how much do these cost for DIYs not professional level?

My error. I was still in bed whilst responding.

Digital multimeter.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On May 29, 2016
FEGEITOK:
After I called a local electrical tech to help me fix a short which I earlier posted about.

I stayed back to observe him and every time he performed an action my heart would sink.

He kept throwing away factory rubber shields, cutting wires here and there, and probing pins

The next day my MAF failed, I do not know if it is a coincidence or it is his use of 12V via the test bulb to keep probing the various components

The one that made me not ask him to come back was when he wanted to start working on the ECU while the battery terminals were still connected.

Thankfully, he came in the afternoon and when he said he would have to come back the next day to complete, we haggled over pricing

Then I paid him 50% and he left, I gathered all the insulators he threw away and tried to return everything as closely as possible to how it was when it left the factory and didn't allow him to touch the ride again.

I think that his work destroyed my MAF, I cannot say for certain.

But I cannot allow him to cost me an ECU in the name of fixing shorts
You are very lucky he needs one of this to work with your ECU,I know most technicians w ont use this in Nigeria to them its waste but this prevent damage to components by ESD

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 10:56am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

wen u say test l ight hope you dont mean light bulb wink
hahahahaa of course I mean a light bulb, because there has to be a current flow, but it must be done with a wiring diagram.
Remember Current V=IR
V is voltage or pressure or potential difference

I is Current or the main little devils themselves

R is resistance or the opposition to the flow of the little devils.

So sometimes you will need to load the circuit to test its integrity. You must do it with a wiring diagram so as not to cause more trouble.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 10:59am On May 29, 2016
FEGEITOK:

These cost £4.48

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:02am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

how can a light bulb give you an accurate reading of current? GAZZUZZ as U know Im not a Mechanic but I am Engineer so I work with this day in day out so I can vest my experience in this part U nor go win dis one bross.How can light bulb tel U the direction of flow?
How can a light bulb test any component wen the procedure requires one terminal of the battery being removed? grin grin

GAZZUZZ:

Both have a role. Knowing when to use which is important. Quick diagnosis of "certain" circuits can be done with ease using a 12v bulb, with the right rating. Nothing about falling hand, just being realistic. A DMM will give you voltage, a bulb will give you a perception of the amount of current you are working with .

perception meaning:
Simple Definition of perception. : the way you think about or understand someone or something. : the ability to understand or notice something easily

Using a lamp to test for voltage in failing circuit (not ECU related) is quicker and more accurate than using a DMM, the meter might always give you a 12v reading if you were searching for voltage, but a lamp might not glow as bright as a 12v feed straight from the battery. That's where perception comes in. I have a DMM, actually several, but a lamp with the right rating is a winner any day.

1 Like

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On May 29, 2016
cocoduck:
hahahahaa of course I mean a light bulb, because there has to be a current flow, but it must be done with a wiring diagram.
Remember Current V=IR
V is voltage or pressure or potential difference

I is Current or the main little devils themselves

R is resistance or the opposition to the flow of the little devils.

So sometimes you will need to load the circuit to test its integrity. You must do it with a wiring diagram so as not to cause more trouble.
grin grin grin grin grin, Ok I understand what you mean and in a way I'm so sorry for using the word QUACK,I have had a moment of rethink.
On a diff note that's try error procedure.This what the rewire does, they end up frying your ECU,well if you get teh heart you can continue but if you come across a well informed customer and you fry their components you don enter one chance be that
But you do know there is a probe for this right and it doesn't cost a arm and leg,these are cheap,I wil love you to buy these if U are into it.
ie this bellow

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 11:11am On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

perception meaning:

Using a lamp to test for voltage in failing circuit (not ECU related) is quicker and more accurate than using a DMM, the meter might always give you a 12v reading if you were searching for voltage, but a lamp might not glow as bright as a 12v feed straight from the battery. That's where perception comes in. I have a DMM, actually several, but a lamp with the right rating is a winner any day.
Ok fair enough but like what circuite in the car?
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:15am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Ok fair enough but like what circuite in the car?

anything that is not powered by an ecu and utilizes 12v. I have a lot of lamps for different diagnosis.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 11:18am On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

anything that is not powered by an ecu and utilizes 12v. I have a lot of lamps for different diagnosis.
Ok fair enough I can see how that works, but what would you say with someone testing and ECU powered components as simple as a fan switch relay with a bulb?would that not amount to an attempt to fry the ECU
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:23am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Ok fair enough I can see how that works, but what would you say with someone testing and ECU powered components as simple as a fan switch relay with a bulb?would that not amount to an attempt to fry the ECU

Fans are powered by relays, the relays are instructed to work by an ecu (small current 12v) using a bulb to test voltage output at fan side poses no hazard to the ecu.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 11:26am On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

grin grin grin grin grin, Ok I understand what you mean and in a way I'm so sorry for using the word QUACK,I have had a moment of rethink.
On a diff note that's try error procedure.This what the rewire does, they end up frying your ECU,well if you get teh heart you can continue but if you come across a well informed customer and you fry their components you don enter one chance be that
But you do know there is a probe for this right and it doesn't cost a arm and leg,these are cheap,I wil love you to buy these if U are into it.
ie this bellow
That is why I said, it MUST be done with a wiring diagram, so you don't end up causing more problems.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by Nobody: 11:51am On May 29, 2016
Lots of modern cooling fans are shifting away from the traditional fuse and relay set up, where they were pretty much stand alone systems, with a radiator-mounted thermo switch.

My 2000 Audi A4 4.2 V8 Quattro actually has a stand alone cooling fan control module. The circuit is also linked to the climate control panel, and testing voltages other than the fat 12V direct to the fans with a bulb, will pop not just the control module, but also the digital climate control panel. I have come across folk who have popped these testing the circuitry with an analogue voltmeter, which has no internal power, and relies on voltage from the component you're checking for voltage at. These have less internal resistance than a bulb, yet they are still capable of wrecking any semi-conductors.

Then there are cooling fans which are actually controlled by the engine ECU, via the CTS. You don't want to be testing this with a bulb. Yes, there are parts of a circuit that have a direct 12V+ feed. But, for the avoidance of errors, test bulbs are frowned upon in the industry. A competent technician should learn to interpret readings with a digital multimeter, LED power probe, oscilloscope or picoscope.

Dealerships here supply SST's, so every tool required for testing is available to all their technicians. If an audit was carried out, and a tech was found testing circuitry with a bulb, he / she would get a disciplinary, and the dealership would be marked down on the audit. I have seen that happen countless times.

I had a technician from a local garage testing pulses to injectors using a bulb, and of course, he got nothing. He ripped out the wiring harness, and when replacement gave the same results, he concluded the ECU was bad. £1200 later, the car still wouldn't run. This is when the car was towed to my place. The fault? A blown 15A fuse that feeds the switched 12V+ which is common to all the injectors. This was in a 2009 Mercedes-Benz E320. Cost of repair? Half an hours labour, and .76p for a fuse.

It could have been worse, God knows what this garage billed their customer (I didn't get to meet him / her).

3 Likes

Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 12:08pm On May 29, 2016
Siena:
Lots of modern cooling fans are shifting away from the traditional fuse and relay set up, where they were pretty much stand alone systems, with a radiator-mounted thermo switch.

My 2000 Audi A4 4.2 V8 Quattro actually has a stand alone cooling fan control module. The circuit is also linked to the climate control panel, and testing voltages other than the fat 12V direct to the fans with a bulb, will pop not just the control module, but also the digital climate control panel. I have come across folk who have popped these testing the circuitry with an analogue voltmeter, which has no internal power, and relies on voltage from the component you're checking for voltage at. These have less internal resistance than a bulb, yet they are still capable of wrecking any semi-conductors.

Then there are cooling fans which are actually controlled by the engine ECU, via the CTS. You don't want to be testing this with a bulb. Yes, there are parts of a circuit that have a direct 12V+ feed. But, for the avoidance of errors, test bulbs are frowned upon in the industry. A competent technician should learn to interpret readings with a digital multimeter, LED power probe, oscilloscope or picoscope.

Dealerships here supply SST's, so every tool required for testing is available to all their technicians. If an audit was carried out, and a tech was found testing circuitry with a bulb, he / she would get a disciplinary, and the dealership would be marked down on the audit. I have seen that happen countless times.

I had a technician from a local garage testing pulses to injectors using a bulb, and of course, he got nothing. He ripped out the wiring harness, and when replacement gave the same results, he concluded the ECU was bad. £1200 later, the car still wouldn't run. This is when the car was towed to my place. The fault? A blown 15A fuse that feeds the switched 12V+ which is common to all the injectors. This was in a 2009 Mercedes-Benz E320. Cost of repair? Half an hours labour, and .76p for a fuse.

It could have been worse, God knows what this garage billed their customer (I didn't get to meet him / her).
What you said is correct, but even in ultra modern cars, a test light has its place, the fan you are talking about, if I understand, is PWM controlled, but the DC motor it self needs positive and negative to work. So in this case one will need to make sure the circuit still has its integrity, there is another tool called the load pro, it does almost the thing, put a load on the circuit, The same system you just elaborated used in Toyota Matrix
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by cocoduck: 1:36pm On May 29, 2016
Op when I say test light, I don't mean the one you made on your own, because chances are that the bulb you will use will draw too much current, so you have to buy a professional test light with not more than 200mA ratings. According to Mr Paul danner (pbuh), computer electronics use 100mA, testing the circuit with a 200mA test light will not damage it, I doubted it and tried it and it worked, now, here is a practical way you can test it without a car, I remember a while ago I took an LED and connected it directly to a 12v battery, it just flashed for a millisecond or so and went out, so it got burnt, without any sign, then I took a resistor and connected it in series to another LED, this time the LED lighted up and stayed on until I disconnected it from the battery,I tried it on a tail light bulb, the bulb didn't glow,even a little bit, so I took the same resistor connected it in series with the positive lead of the DMM and connected it in series also to the battery and I still got 12v, even the other lead gave the same result, how do you explain this? It is simple, current has to flow, and current is not another word for volts. Paul danner has made several videos on how to test three wire Wheel speed sensor circuitry using a common test light (200mA maximum!) or use a resistor in series. You need to see those videos, they are free of charge.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 3:30pm On May 29, 2016
cocoduck:
Op when I say test light, I don't mean the one you made on your own, because chances are that the bulb you will use will draw too much current, so you have to buy a professional test light with not more than 200mA ratings. According to Mr Paul danner (pbuh), computer electronics use 100mA, testing the circuit with a 200mA test light will not damage it, I doubted it and tried it and it worked, now, here is a practical way you can test it without a car, I remember a while ago I took an LED and connected it directly to a 12v battery, it just flashed for a millisecond or so and went out, so it got burnt, without any sign, then I took a resistor and connected it in series to another LED, this time the LED lighted up and stayed on until I disconnected it from the battery,I tried it on a tail light bulb, the bulb didn't glow,even a little bit, so I took the same resistor connected it in series with the positive lead of the DMM and connected it in series also to the battery and I still got 12v, even the other lead gave the same result, how do you explain this? It is simple, current has to flow, and current is not another word for volts. Paul danner has made several videos on how to test three wire Wheel speed sensor circuitry using a common test light (200mA maximum!) or use a resistor in series. You need to see those videos, they are free of charge.
now you have spokem this was the point I was trying to understand from you.I be don buy Boxing gloves and ticket to come fight U b4, make I go ask for refunds grin grin grin grin
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 3:41pm On May 29, 2016
Siena:

True
@ GAZZUZZ, I think this is what I found at with my fan hence I made reference to it.I think my car has one of those fans controlled by the ECU and not a fuse and relay set up.cos U can never directly run wires from the battery to it to make it work it wont work, I tried it, I ended up buying a brand new fan still did not work.Problem was a stuck heating valve and leaky radiator. 318Ci 2002
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:10pm On May 29, 2016
erico2k2:

True
@ GAZZUZZ, I think this is what I found at with my fan hence I made reference to it.I think my car has one of those fans controlled by the ECU and not a fuse and relay set up.cos U can never directly run wires from the battery to it to make it work it wont work , I tried it, I ended up buying a brand new fan still did not work.Problem was a stuck heating valve and leaky radiator. 318Ci 2002

You connected direct voltage from a battery to a circuit without knowing the pinout. Not very smart.
Re: Test Light Or Multimeter - Which Would You Rather Have Or Use by erico2k2(m): 4:38pm On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

You connected direct voltage from a battery to a circuit without knowing the pinout. Not very smart.
Ofcos not very smart hence I wasted £70, grin grin
that's what happens when one is ignorant and goes beyond his boundaries of expertise cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cost Of O2 Sensor For Toyota Corolla 2003. / Which Should I Go For? 206 Or 406 / Uses Tap Water VS Uses Coolant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.