Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion (13433 Views)

Help A Nairalander Decide Which Of These Phones Should Be Bought / List Of Top Tecno Phones In 2017 That Can Still Be Bought In 2018 / Facebook Now Has Over 2 Billion Active Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by charlsecy(m): 9:59am On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.
That browser is bad news on Mobile.
tankara1010:
FIREFOX AND CHROME ARE SHITTY BROWSERS!
Chrome and Firefox, MOBILE-wise, are not good broswers. However, the only good thing about them is their ability to better render complex, animated websites with convoluted menu.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by druxy(m): 10:37am On May 29, 2016
only opera loads fast on edge network
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 10:40am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
If ordinary opera mini can sell for 1.2 billion dollars, only God knows how much chrome and Mozilla Firefox will sell
Pls opera isn't ordinary, this company has been around for a long time. Chrome mobile isn't riving it, it's only the pc version people really use. And what is Firefox Never heard of it. In my opinion I think 1.2b is cheap, opera is worth more than that. It's brand alone is worth more than that.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 11:32am On May 29, 2016
Chartey:

I actually like the new version. Click on the + sign in front of the URL space and you'll see "save for offline" among the options.
thanks my brother, I've seen the options. Thanks
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Chartey(m): 11:52am On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
thanks my brother, I've seen the options. Thanks
My pleasure chief.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Rexyl(m): 12:15pm On May 29, 2016
Israel5:
Chinese will buy everythng including sme countries soon

They should buy sambisa forest and make use of the place for modern agriculture. Buying a whole country might never be achieved
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Collinz2(m): 12:19pm On May 29, 2016
grossintel:
Pls opera isn't ordinary, this company has been around for a long time. Chrome mobile isn't riving it, it's only the pc version people really use. And what is Firefox Never heard of it. In my opinion I think 1.2b is cheap, opera is worth more than that. It's brand alone is worth more than that.
$1.2b is really cheap for opera.

1 Like

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Luukasz(m): 1:02pm On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
If ordinary opera mini can sell for 1.2 billion dollars, only God knows how much chrome and Mozilla Firefox will sell
Exactly how much will UC be sold too, I wonder.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by simiolu1(m): 1:57pm On May 29, 2016
Themandator:

Please just explain the uniqueness of Mozilla... I honestly do know. I visit playstore to find the millions of download it has and when I download I can't find anything interesting so delete and again I keep telling myself there must be a reason for this millions of download so I re-download only to have it dormant and then re-deleted.
Just what is the selling point.... I'm only begining to tolerate UC otherwise opera that allows me open as many tabs as I want to is still my favorite

If you're a website developer, you'd hate Opera. opera doesn't have the capacity to optimise the web app experience like chrome and Mozilla. Chrome, safari and torch browsers are built on the WebKit framework which opera does not support. Also, it's this part or the world that cares about data savings. so we want to save data at the expense of better use experience. if you don't understand let me ask you. between Mozilla, chrome, uc browser and opera, which ones offer a better experience on websites like Facebook, twitter, eBay, Amazon, yahoo mail, gmail etc?

as I type this, eBay and Amazon no longer support opera mobile (you can't access them with opera mini or Opera). I believe that in there nearest future, if opera doesn't offer a better web app experience, other major companies will drop it.

BTW, Mozilla allowance you to save a page for offline view as a PDF file. I just thought I'd add that
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by slightlyMad(f): 2:03pm On May 29, 2016
AoM3b:

Each browser opens a web page differently. Either in a mobile or desktop format and also minimized or maximized way. Take for example m.facebook.com it opens differently on chrome and opera and many other site also. Opera by default saves data and compress a site while chrome doesn't. Ucweb depending on your preferences will either reduce the size or max it out for you. So if a site is 10mb on a default (desktop version), opera can reduce it to like 3-5mb and same with ucweb but not on chrome

utter crap up there

every browser regardless of if it is from a mobile phone or desktop "GETS" a webpage the same way.
the only difference is the useragent value they send along with the get request.

whether you get a mobile optimized version, desktop version or a complete redirection to a mobile site of the same resource is totally dependent on how the website developer/company coded their web page.

Yahoo, facebook, twitter etc has a lot of developer power to implement mobile versions for their regular webpages,
a startup may decide to go with responsive pages (responsive pages are pages that adapt based on screen resolution of target devices)
a newbie like your lazy a55 may just put up a copied web page customized in microsoft frontpage, then glory in it without worrying about when it displays like messed up watermelon on mobile phones.

now with the 3 comparisons, your browser takes data and just displays it, when tech people say browsers are faster, they refer to the speed at which it renders downloaded content, manages downloaded content without eating RAM
but your claim in the bolded only further confirms my view that you are nothing but an illiterate
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by nani667: 2:15pm On May 29, 2016
on Mobile I use Opera for browsing... UC Browser for downloads... Chrome once awhile....

Firefox on Mobile is Shite....

on PC Google Chrome is the way ✔

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by AoM3b(m): 2:36pm On May 29, 2016
slightlyMad:

utter crap up there

every browser regardless of if it is from a mobile phone or desktop "GETS" a webpage the same way.
the only difference is the useragent value they send along with the get request.

whether you get a mobile optimized version, desktop version or a complete redirection to a mobile site of the same resource is totally dependent on how the website developer/company coded their web page.

Yahoo, facebook, twitter etc has a lot of developer power to implement mobile versions for their regular webpages,
a startup may decide to go with responsive pages (responsive pages are pages that adapt based on screen resolution of target devices)
a newbie like your lazy a55 may just put up a copied web page customized in microsoft frontpage, then glory in it without worrying about when it displays like messed up watermelon on mobile phones.

now with the 3 comparisons, your browser takes data and just displays it, when tech people say browsers are faster, they refer to the speed at which it renders downloaded content, manages downloaded content without eating RAM
but your claim in the bolded only further confirms my view that you are nothing but an illiterate

you are just a cow claiming to be literate here. Opera never opens a web page like any other browsers. Opera doesnt display a gif file nor animated items on page and if a browser doesnt do this hasnt it reduce data usage? You are just full of shit thinking are a genius
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Xionez(m): 5:29pm On May 29, 2016
charlsecy:
Chrome and Firefox, MOBILE-wise, are not good broswers. However, the only good thing about them is their ability to better render complex, animated websites with convoluted menu.

Very true. Chrome is better than Mozilla in this regard.
Most sites and devs see Chrome as the most common browser on Android especially for a day to day user. Browsers have their user agents set as 'Chrome' just so they can get these sites to function well on their apps.

I've downloaded virtually all the browsers on Playstore, as at last April, just to get a balance between RAM, Battery and Data usage.

Finally settled with OperaMini for day to day browsing and UCWeb to browse rebellious sites that refuse to render well on OperaMini (Engadget, i am looking at you) and also to download large files.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Themandator: 5:30pm On May 29, 2016
simiolu1:

If you're a website developer, you'd hate Opera. opera doesn't have the capacity to optimise the web app experience like chrome and Mozilla. Chrome, safari and torch browsers are built on the WebKit framework which opera does not support. Also, it's this part or the world that cares about data savings. so we want to save data at the expense of better use experience. if you don't understand let me ask you. between Mozilla, chrome, uc browser and opera, which ones offer a better experience on websites like Facebook, twitter, eBay, Amazon, yahoo mail, gmail etc?

as I type this, eBay and Amazon no longer support opera mobile (you can't access them with opera mini or Opera). I believe that in there nearest future, if opera doesn't offer a better web app experience, other major companies will drop it.

BTW, Mozilla allowance you to save a page for offline view as a PDF file. I just thought I'd add that

Thanks for the information. I will re-download again,right away and look out for this benefit you highlighted. BTW what about speed dial?
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 29, 2016
I use an Opera browser on my PC and I kinda prefer it more than Mozilla Firefox..

lofty900:
Mozilla Firefox is the best browser in the world for now. How come nobody ever use the desktop version of Opera only the mobile version? But people always use chrome and Mozilla Firefox both on phone and computers
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Xionez(m): 5:57pm On May 29, 2016
simiolu1:

I like this.
The internet space is all about Ads. Delivering dynamic content to the users. OperaMini only offers static ads which doesn't go down well with websites which have advertisements as one of their source of revenue, if not the only source. Eg Amazon, eBay, Instagram etc etc.

So more content, more work, more RAM, more data, more tasks for the SOC, more battery drain.

With their numerous open WiFi hotspots, near constant power supply and subsidized handhelds, its easy to constantly modify web experience.

But down here, such things doesn't often fly.
They don't pay for our data, power supply is erratic, prizes of phones not subsidized (no payment plan to even speak of). Even payment for advertised services is often difficult.

Slim and static and functional is the watchword in this case. This is why OperaMini seems to be king.
If they want a more dynamic and interactive UI with all the eye candy, they may download the app. Ask Konga and Jumia.

In essence, Chrome may not fly here due to PRACTICAL reasons, but in theory, its okay as a browser.

***EDITED POST***
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by simiolu1(m): 6:09pm On May 29, 2016
Xionez:

I like this.
The internet space is all about Ads. Delivering dynamic content to the users. OperaMini only offers static ads which doesn't go down well with websites which have advertisements as one of their source of revenue, if not the only source. Eg Amazon, eBay, Instagram etc etc.

So more content, more work, more RAM, more data, more tasks for the SOC, more battery drain.

With their with numerous open WiFi hotspots, near constant power supply and subsidized handhelds, its easy to constantly modify web experience.

But down here, such things doesn't fly.
They don't pay for our data, power supply is erratic, prizes of phones not subsidized (no payment plan to even speak of). Even payment for advertised services is difficult.

Slim and static and functional is the watchword in this case. This is where OperaMini thrives.
If we want dynamic and interactive with all the eye candy, we download the app. Ask Konga and Jumia.

In essence, Chrome doesn't fly here due to PRACTICAL reasons, but in theory, its okay as a browser.

I agree with you that it MAY not fly here (that statement is subjective because it depends on perspective) due to the practical reasons you gave but let tell you of my personal preferences.

1. I do not like having apps that don't offer me a better experience than i can get on a website. That's why I will never download apps for shopping online.

2. instead of installing multiple apps, why not install a container in which they can all function optimally? it'll save me disk space!

3. Some people don't care about data savings. I know someone who is a Glo postpaid customer. he gets 5gb every month. he still subscribes etisalat for his q5 and has spectranet internet at work. to him, data is nothing. he calls me to come and download sef so that the thing will finish

the point is opera appeals to those who love data savings above the user experience but it is not yet a better browser than Mozilla, chrome and safari (it doesn't even come close)

1 Like

Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Xionez(m): 6:20pm On May 29, 2016
lofty900:
lol I'm surprised at your comment. I updated my opera to the latest version and regretted. It can no longer download anything, no option to save pages. Nothing

I'm using the latest i presume...16.0.2168.
The saved pages is there. Click the + button to the left of the address bar and choose "Save for Offline"

The down side is that it "semi-saves" it to Media storage ie on reinstalling OperaMini, one cannot recall it from Media Storage like those days of Symbian.
UCWeb and Mozilla (thanks to SimiOlu for the notice)...can call them up from anywhere.

Download works for me as far as i am using a full data bundle. Doesn't work with OperaMini bundle on Airtel except its less than 2MB insize and its in picture format.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Xionez(m): 6:29pm On May 29, 2016
simiolu1:

I agree with you that it MAY not fly here (that statement is subjective because it depends on perspective) due to the practical reasons you gave but let tell you of my personal preferences.

1. I do not like having apps that don't offer me a better experience than i can get on a website. That's why I will never download apps for shopping online.

2. instead of installing multiple apps, why not install a container in which they can all function optimally? it'll save me disk space!

3. Some people don't care about data savings. I know someone who is a Glo postpaid customer. he gets 5gb every month. he still subscribes etisalat for his q5 and has spectranet internet at work. to him, data is nothing. he calls me to come and download sef so that the thing will finish

the point is opera appeals to those who love data savings above the user experience but it is not yet a better browser than Mozilla, chrome and safari (it doesn't even come close)

Made a mistake. I should have phrased my reply in a subjective context.
Post edited to reflect assumptions.

Like they say, to each his own.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.
That browser is bad news on Mobile. its doesn't actually close, consumes RAM like no mans business and lemme not get started on the data it consumes...even while browsing Facebook. Data Savings mode my foot.

I've got 31 tabs on OperaMini and RAM usage doesn't pass 35MB. You can quit the browser and it shuts down fully.

With Chrome, just 6 tabs is 39MB gone. No option to close the browser so its either you relegate it to background or u force close. Restart phone and its one of the first things to boot up.

Thats because google spys on their consumers.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by selfdefence: 7:41pm On May 29, 2016
Hope it will help the browser
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by ponti93(m): 11:53pm On May 29, 2016
Xionez:
Chrome my foot.
That browser is bad news on Mobile. its doesn't actually close, consumes RAM like no mans business and lemme not get started on the data it consumes...even while browsing Facebook. Data Savings mode my foot.

I've got 31 tabs on OperaMini and RAM usage doesn't pass 35MB. You can quit the browser and it shuts down fully.

With Chrome, just 6 tabs is 39MB gone. No option to close the browser so its either you relegate it to background or u force close. Restart phone and its one of the first things to boot up.
funny that particular feature is my some people like it.
Re: Opera Is About To Be Bought By A Chinese Consortium For About $1.2 Billion by goonsmi: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2016
grossintel:

Guy, we are still expecting your situation report on your thread . Hope there is concrete improvement Takie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix To Hold Free Hot 8 Concert With Mayorkun & Naira Marley / Build Your Own Iphone? This Guy Did And The Final Product Is Spot On! Read More / Facebook Rolls Out ‘watch Party’ Feature For Everyone Worldwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.