Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,725 members, 7,802,185 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving (18467 Views)

What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / Lagos Woman Drives Off With LASTMA Official Hanging On Her Car Bonnet (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by AutosBay(m): 12:41am On May 29, 2016
The danger

If you notice that your bonnet looks loose as you drive along, stop and check it. Don't wait until you get home - you might not!

The worst danger if your bonnet flies up as you are driving along is that you will do something silly because of the shock. It will take a moment to realise what has happened, there is a loud bang, the windscreen may break, and then you can't see anything! A natural reaction is to brake hard and fast.

Think quickly and overcome this natural urge. Braking hard will frighten the driver behind, thus doubling the problem! If you have been keeping a safe distance there will be no danger from the vehicle in front. If the road bends you should be able to see where it goes by looking out of the side windows. The biggest danger is instability, due to wind resistance, and from traffic following closely behind.

Action!

Check your mirrors (all of your mirrors).
Hold the steering wheel firmly to counter wind resistance.
Brake firmly if it is safe to do so.
If you are on a motorway move over to the hard shoulder before braking. Try to look out of the driver's window. Ask your front passenger (in a gentle scream) to look out on their side.

http://smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/Driving_emergencies/bonnet.htm

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by hemartins(m): 1:00am On May 29, 2016
Only God can save when such happens.

17 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by AutosBay(m): 1:04am On May 29, 2016
@ hemartins I agree

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Tellemall: 1:31am On May 29, 2016
When your bonnet flies up while driving, it's time you bought a new car.

28 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by veekid(m): 6:40am On May 29, 2016
ok
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by edlion57(m): 6:41am On May 29, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]Simple ans. ...you stop and close it grin

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Harmored(m): 6:41am On May 29, 2016
Fly up ke undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by chrisbaby24(m): 6:43am On May 29, 2016
Abeg ooo...make dat one no happen oo...!!

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by tuoyoojo(m): 6:44am On May 29, 2016
as a driver hope for the best ( getting home safe)

prepare for the worse

that experience could really be frightening

may God not let us experience it

amen

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Nutase: 6:44am On May 29, 2016
wink
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by dayoungmoney1: 6:45am On May 29, 2016
Nice tips
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by kirchofff(m): 6:46am On May 29, 2016
Nawa o....more reasons y we should always check our cars before making dem Road-bourne

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by damton(m): 6:47am On May 29, 2016
let's just hope we are not caught in such a terrible situation
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by donziller(m): 6:47am On May 29, 2016
is easy 2 say Dan do
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Fineboi2(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2016
Op you funny ooo
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by cole265(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2016
It happened to me before at ibadan / Ife express. It was only God that saved me grin
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by chimah3(m): 6:50am On May 29, 2016
Hmmm...just make sure your car is always checked before hitting the road!!!

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by frankdGreat125: 6:52am On May 29, 2016
Just leave dia and go
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by nedu2000(m): 6:53am On May 29, 2016
When that happened to me,all I did was look out of my rare and side mirrors,brake slowly,then parked by my left because that was where I had the clearest view to do so,as I had no passengers. Fortunately it's unlikely a vehicle will be coming head-on.
There are worse scenarios

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by powerfulsettingz: 6:54am On May 29, 2016
Park and pull over na
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Nobody: 7:02am On May 29, 2016
AutosBay:
The danger

If you notice that your bonnet looks loose as you drive along, stop and check it. Don't wait until you get home - you might not!

The worst danger if your bonnet flies up as you are driving along is that you will do something silly because of the shock. It will take a moment to realise what has happened, there is a loud bang, the windscreen may break, and then you can't see anything! A natural reaction is to brake hard and fast.

Think quickly and overcome this natural urge. Braking hard will frighten the driver behind, thus doubling the problem! If you have been keeping a safe distance there will be no danger from the vehicle in front. If the road bends you should be able to see where it goes by looking out of the side windows. The biggest danger is instability, due to wind resistance, and from traffic following closely behind.

Action!

Check your mirrors (all of your mirrors).
Hold the steering wheel firmly to counter wind resistance.
Brake firmly if it is safe to do so.
If you are on a motorway move over to the hard shoulder before braking. Try to look out of the driver's window. Ask your front passenger (in a gentle scream) to look out on their side.

http://smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/Driving_emergencies/bonnet.htm

..as a saying goes like this.... ""Show me your friend and I'll tell u the kind of person u are""

it's obvious you deal with rickety cars..lol

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Nobody: 7:02am On May 29, 2016
tnx op.... but is that really possible except u are driving a motor not a car

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by dotedote: 7:04am On May 29, 2016
This could be frightening. Self composure is always d best bet. Another reason I won't do all these Japanese junks, they are so light. German all the way.
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by phlamy(m): 7:09am On May 29, 2016
sholexy21:
tnx op.... but is that really possible except u are driving a motor not a car

Ok so it's not about the car. In my own case, I forgot to close the bonnet properly and was on high speed when I noticed. Before I could say jack, it was a loud noise I heard. The screen was shattered and the bonnet destroyed. It was terrible.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Nobody: 7:15am On May 29, 2016
nedu2000:
When that happened to me,all I did was look out of my rare and side mirrors,brake slowly,then parked by my left because that was where I had the clearest view to do so,as I had no passengers. Fortunately it's unlikely a vehicle will be coming head-on.
There are worse scenarios
..this is a through confession your car is not road worthy

....don't worry I'll look out for u and get that

rickety car impounded,

by the way what is your vehicle registration number?
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Nobody: 7:18am On May 29, 2016
This happened to me on January 14th, 2016 as I was on my way to Lagos after the Xmas holiday.

When I got to Owerri, I pulled over and requested my Cousin who was travelling with me to go buy brake oil so we can top it. I opened the bonnet while waiting for him to bring the brake oil, when he eventually came back, he could not buy the oil so I told him to come into the car that we would buy it at the next junction, I completely forgot that the bonnet wasn't closed properly.

We begun our journey again and about 6 minutes later while on top speed, the bonnet forcefully opened, shattered my windscreen, bent the bonnet and prevented me from seeing incoming vehicles. It was just God that saved us because the closest car to me suddenly saw what happened and slowed down. I was also able to steer the car off the road.

The most annoying part was being intermittently stopped by VIO and FRSC on while I was driving with a shattered Windshield.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by Safemode(m): 7:19am On May 29, 2016
noted
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by femyodsky(m): 7:28am On May 29, 2016
I thank God for not allowing my bonnet to fly up on two occasions that I didn't close it properly

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by 7footre(m): 7:28am On May 29, 2016
Happened once when an uncle was driving me to a park to take a bus, he simply wind down his window, and brought his head outta the window and parked the car. I adored and glorified his calmness that day....

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by MoreWahala: 7:30am On May 29, 2016
It has happened to me twice, the fault of mechanics not closing the bonnet. Its really a terrible experience but thank God for safety.
Re: What To Do When Your Bonnet Flies Up While Driving by thesicilian: 7:41am On May 29, 2016
hemartins:
Only God can save when such happens.
God can save but its not only Him. They just told you what to do to save yourself. If that fails then you can call on God.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / PAL-V Liberty Flying Car: An Overview / Having Issues With Your Car AC ,lets Discuss It Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.