Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,577 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research (649 Views)

Polygamy Is Not A Sin And Its Very Good / Kate Wore Short Skirt To My House And My Short Thing Turned To Long Thing [pics] / My Pillar Of Truth Behind the Truth On Polygamy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research by prinsam30: 2:58pm On May 29, 2016
– Research from 140 countries show
Want to live a little longer? Get a second wife.

Contrary to erroneous belief and perception that polygamy may shorten life, recent research has shown that Polygamy is the key to a long life.

New research suggests that men from polygamous cultures outlive those from monogamous ones.

After accounting for socioeconomic differences, men aged over 60 from 140 countries that practice polygamy to varying degrees lived on average 12% longer than men from 49 mostly monogamous nations, says Virpi Lummaa , an ecologist at the University of Sheffield, UK.

Lummaa presented her findings last week at the International Society for Behavioral Ecology’s annual meeting in Ithaca, New York.

The key to a long life could be as simple as getting a second wife.

Research suggests that men from polygamist cultures live 12 per cent longer than those who limit their affections to one woman at a time.

It is thought men benefit from having a fuss made over them by a gaggle of women. They may also better care of themselves into old age when they have a large family to feed, this week’s New Scientist reports.

Sheffield University researchers uncovered the ‘benefits’ of polygamy by scrutinising World Health Organisation data on marriage practices and on life span.

The analysis shows that men who live in countries where it is common to have more than one wife tend to outlive their monogamous counterparts.

The finding took into account a country’s economic situation to minimise the effect of better nutrition and healthcare in monogamous Western nations.

It is thought that the pressure of having to provide for big families may lead to men taking better care of their bodies and their health. They may also benefit from the care and attention of several wives.

Scientist Lance Workman, an evolutionary psychologist at Bath Spa University, said: ‘If you have got more wives to look after you, they might fuss over you and that might help you live longer.

‘We know that in monogamous societies married men live longer than bachelors.’
Evolution may also have a role to play, with the fierce competition for women in polygamist societies ensuring only the fittest specimens get the girl – and have children.

Good genes would be passed on, endowing good health on future generations.
Dr Workman said: ‘If you look at polygamist societies, men are quite competitive towards other men because the pressures are bigger.

‘The most successful men can have four”, he said.

http://therenaissanceng.com/polygamy-is-key-to-long-life-research

Re: Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research by Vinshu(f): 2:59pm On May 29, 2016
Useless.

How can a man have two wives? They are humans not cattle. Good thing it remains illegal here
Re: Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research by Cutehector(m): 3:11pm On May 29, 2016
Funny enough, wen a woman has a competitor, she will start becoming up and doing..

1 Like

Re: Polygamy Is Key To Long Life- Research by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 29, 2016
I concur!

As long as I have my own second husband too grin

(1) (Reply)

When You Get Married To A Mechanic Who Is Used To Sucking Fuel From A Caburetor. / Who Should The Wife Put As Her Next Of Kin? / My Wife Dating My Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.