Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30425 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 4:36am On Aug 23, 2009
Lagos “Deports” 160 Northern Beggers Print E-mail
Written by From Samuel Aruwan, Kaduna
Saturday, 22 August 2009 03:50

About one hundred and sixty destitute northerners have been dumped on the outskirts of the Kaduna metropolis, allegedly by the Lagos State government, in its drive to free the state of the destitute and beggars, and who are mostly from the northern part of the country.

LEADERSHIP WEEKEND reliably gathered that the destitute were secretly dumped on Thursday at around 7 pm at Abuja Junction, along the Kaduna-Abuja expressway, very close to the Federal Cooperative College, Kaduna. The group included men, women and children, mostly crippled, deaf, blind, lepers and others with serious disabilities.

This correspondent has it on good authority that they were evacuated by policemen of the state security outfit Operation Yaki, to the Kano Road resettlement camp of people living with disabilities at around 9 pm the same Thursday, while some of them have taken refuge in other parts of the metropolis.

At the camp, one of them, Sani Ahmadu, in company of other deportees told LEADERSHIP WEEKEND that they were subjected to excruciating hardship before being taken to Kaduna where they were dumped. “The only thing we gathered was that Lagos State government wants to rid of the destitute, and they commissioned people with sticks, who arrested us and locked us in rooms with lunatics, children and women. We were about 13 in each room.”

He further said, “After forcing us into patrol vans, we were kept locked up for four days, They took away our money and property. They would give us food around 6pm then nothing more till 10 am the next day. They never took our health seriously. They just bundled us in vehicles and brought us to Kaduna. We are not from Kaduna. To us this is not fair, because we are Nigerians and we only went there for a while because of our poor condition, and we are suffering from different ailments.”

Another of the deportees, Hassan Ali, told LEADERSHIP WEEKEND that it is the failure of leadership that made them leave for Lagos to seek a means of livelihood. “As you know, we are aged and cannot afford the basic things of life, but if we had responsible leadership in our region, we would not leave our houses to a strange land to beg just to survive.

“They dumped us here and we don’t have food and Ramadan is likely to begin tomorrow (Saturday).We are also begging that we should be taken to Kano State, because I am from Albasu local government area of Kano State. Some of our women and children have gotten lost in Kaduna.”

The Kaduna State commissioner of Women Affairs and Social Development, Dr.Maryamu Laka Madami, confirmed the incident and stated that the state government is making arrangements to transport them to Kano and other states they are originally from, and that the government had taken steps to provide them with food and other essentials before the evacuation, for which, she said modalities have been put in motion.

On whether Kaduna State government will take action against the Lagos State government on the matter Madami, said, “First, we have to save lives and stabilise them, but I assure you we will certainly get in touch to correct some abnormalities. But I am reiterating that we have to solve the problem first and we are doing everything possible to take them to their states.”

The national vice president of the Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities (JONAP), Comrade Abdullahi Rilwan, decried the situation, describing the alleged action of the Lagos State government as worrisome, and a violation of the fundamental human rights of the affected as Nigerian citizens, to be deported within the territory of the country. He said, “It is because they are poor, deformed, or because of our disabilities. This also is a challenge to the 19 northern states’ governments and the Arewa Consultative Forum. We are also appealing for rights groups to intervene, because it is a clear violation of their rights and privileges as genuine Nigerians.”

The Sarkin Makafin Doka, Mallam Aliyu Yusuf, a blind man and leader in the camp, appealed for urgent attention for the deportees, saying they are in dire need of food and relief materials, considering that the camp cannot sufficiently accommodate all of them.

It would be recalled that the Kaduna State government, sometime earlier this year raised an alarm over the increasing presence of the destitute said to have been brought in to the state from the southern part of the country

Reacting, however, the Lagos State government denied that the destitute were maltreated in any way. Governor Fashola’s aide on youth, Mr. Badmus, speaking on the BBC Hausa radio service yesterday, said that the Lagos State government had written all the states concerned, adding that their eviction was in their own interest, considering the hazards they faced in Lagos.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by dinggle: 6:31am On Aug 23, 2009
Lagos state govt. did a good Job, Most especially now that boko haram group said they will start bombing the west/south. I also expect lagos state govt to go after all foreigners from Neighboring countries, they are a risk to our existence and a congestion to Lagos. We dont need them and they should go back, besides they are not suppose to take up employment in Nigeria if they cant set up their own private business.

1 Like

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by udezue(m): 6:51am On Aug 23, 2009
Good riddance
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by naijaway(m): 7:33am On Aug 23, 2009
Am not a lawyer but I know that this beggers stand a chance of getting more than $200,000 if handled right. I just hope the right consultations were made before this actions by the Lagos state government were carried out. This can become a platform for a realistic identification in Nigeria; If the so called deportees, concerned citizens, concerned communities and appropiate lawmakers and Federal and state government officals agree to set the record straight here.

From my point of view this should be a very crucial time in the social fabric in the nation. Yar adua or Goodluck should weigh in on this and I hope the Kaduna state government take this advantage and show some national and compassionate principle. Yar adua or Goodluck should use this situation and opportunity to listen to the states and see how to advice the states on this measure that leads to deportation.

FACTS:

* Lagos is part of Nigeria. A former capital and a very diverse state in terms of tribes making it an example to every other state in Nigeria and should also be the right state to set the record straight;

*The so-called deportees are Nigerian if they say so and there's no way to dispute that so it is not their fault if there's no way to poove that and the government can't really dispute that.;

*Commonsense of nationality and constitution allows Nigerians in Nigeria to relocate to any city or Lga regardless of state of their choice if they deem fit. There's not supposed to be partiality involved based on tribe or wealth but based on personal property and privacy. It is the state's government and the assistance of the Federal govt that is supposed to contain the health, population and comfort of beggers on the streets of Nigeria as a whole but their location wherever in the country shouldn't matter. ;

*This case can be deemed tribal and corrected sooner even with reparations, if Nigeria is a place of conscience and had a functioning government;

I just wish there will be a time in Nigeria where any state is more than 95% liveable, relocatable, and and respectful to citizens regardless of tribe. I also hope that  soon anyone  who has lived in a state depending on the state law of participation can be eligible to run for local elections and governorship regardless of tribe. Sooner than later everyone will feel important in any environment in Nigeria and not overwhelment if theres a word like that.  This is achieveable and good for national understanding and also adds to our values. Our laws and values don't really need light, water and high rise building to implement at least not all so there should be along the way things and situational scenerios that should be contained or expanded. This is one.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Bialegend(m): 11:08am On Aug 23, 2009
dinggle:

Lagos state govt. did a good Job, Most especially now that boko haram group said they will start bombing the west/south. I also expect lagos state govt to go after all foreigners from Neighboring countries, they are a risk to our existence and a congestion to Lagos. We dont need them and they should go back, besides they are not suppose to take up employment in Nigeria if they cant set up their own private business.
And you are living in nigeria yarning this useless opaks? Which law in nigeria says someone can not take up employment in nigeria if not in his or her private business? Some of you are just irritating to the core. By the way, kudos to Lagos state govt. for a job well done on moving those beggars out of their sight and back to where they come from. I don't know why begging should be a tradition in some places.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by SapeleGuy: 11:31am On Aug 23, 2009
A worrying development, this should have been handled with a lot more tact as the retaliation from the north whilst not necessarily affecting Lagos could be devastating for other non northern ethnicities residing in the north.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by vikiviko(m): 11:45am On Aug 23, 2009
Lets not tribalize it , eko o ni baje.

1 Like

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by illusion2: 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
where are all the northern monthly allocations going to?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by nex(m): 1:24pm On Aug 23, 2009
Fashola is a very hardworking governor and I see nothing wrong in him deporting non-indigenes from his state. He's only violating the same Article 13 of UN Human Rights Declaration which European countries have been violating for years and nobody complained.

What I don't understand is whether he found their state was Kaduna before he sent them to Kaduna. This kind of thing can cause war. You don't just deport people to another man's territory. That is very hostile territorial breach. Fashola really let me down if he really bunched beggars from different states together and deported them to Kaduna.

All of you, if you have nothing to do in Lagos, please go home. Just go home.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2009
eko o ni baje times a trillion

@ post -if you cant afford LAGOS go home all this overpopulating is fuckin Lagos up. Igbos who are not making money go home, Yorubas who are not making money GO HOME we dont need more poor people.

Everyone go home we tired of seeing deez damn okadas and danfo everywhere beggars on d street.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by dayokanu(m): 4:02pm On Aug 23, 2009
Kaduna is the capital of Northern Nigeria, Let them find their way from Kaduna to their respective villages.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 23, 2009
I thought we were all "one" nigeria (beggers included).

Hypocrites!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
nuzo:

I thought we were all "one" nigeria (beggers included).

Hypocrites!
Theres nothing hypocritical about what was said simple- If you do not have money to live in a specific area dont move there and build shanty towns, dont move there to become beggars, dont move there to increase crime, and devalue real estate .

FINALLY DO NOT MOVE TO A CITY AND LIVE POORER THAN HOW YOU WOULD IN YOUR OWN VILLAGE.

Fashola is correct hes doing it for their own interest
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Theres nothing hypocritical about what was said simple- If you do not have money to live in a specific area dont move there and build shanty towns, dont move there to become beggars, dont move there to increase crime, and devalue real estate .

FINALLY DO NOT MOVE TO A CITY AND LIVE POORER THAN HOW YOU WOULD IN YOUR OWN VILLAGE.

Fashola is correct hes doing it for their own interest

And that gives Fashola the right to deport nigerians to other parts of nigeria? shocked

I cant believe that you and those who shout down on people who dont believe in "one" nigeria could publicly display your hypocrisy up to this extent.

I weep for nigerians and double standards!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by MrCrackles(m): 5:14pm On Aug 23, 2009
This is some funny schitzo. . . .
Nigerians deporting Nigerians shocked shocked grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by alias64: 5:28pm On Aug 23, 2009
I have read many good things about this Fashola person. To be frank I am desperate for him to succeed but I am struggling to find a justification for the act. Someone please help.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 23, 2009
alias64:

I have read many good things about this Fashola person. To be frank I am desperate for him to succeed but I am struggling to find a justification for the act. Someone please help.

Exactly how I feel.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by SapeleGuy: 6:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
This action is unconstitutional according to section 4 point 41:
41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

Even those who should know better are ignoring the constitution (Fashola is a SAN) - If it is true, then this move is appalling.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 6:29pm On Aug 23, 2009
lol Fashola is governor of lagos and is doing everything to make lagos better

He is correct but his actions were wrong

legally he can lock up people for loitering and give them the choice JAIL OR HOMELAND LOL
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 6:29pm On Aug 23, 2009
alias64:

This is not the first of this and I myself have a hard time understanding why this is even allowed in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 6:30pm On Aug 23, 2009
jail or homeland lol
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by naijatoday: 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2009
well, if they were not depoted to their states, they will be sent to jail. Because in Lagos, begging and street trading is now a crime that can land you in jail.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 7:36pm On Aug 23, 2009
naijatoday:

well, if they were not depoted to their states, they will be sent to jail. Because in Lagos, begging and street trading is now a crime that can land you in jail.

Since when?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

[/b]

Since when?

loitering in Lagos is a crime duh!!! lol
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 7:41pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

[/b]

Since when?
naijatoday:

Give them the choice first; try them and find them guilty of the so-called loitering. Some will prefer to go to jail than being sent back to somewhere against their will. Fashola should know that there are thousands if not millions of Yoruba people doing VERY lowly stuff in the North. The North can find their own strategy of confiscating their (Yoruba) numerous buka and kabukabu businesses and send them packing to Yorubaland. The North will not differentiate between Lagos Yoruba and other Yoruba. Fashola is biting more than he can chew.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 7:45pm On Aug 23, 2009
What lowly stuff cause i have never heard of a yorubas leaving yorubaland to become beggars in the north or east and if its true its very uncommon.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 7:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

What lowly stuff cause i have never heard of a yorubas leaving yorubaland to become beggars in the north or east and if its true its very uncommon.

As mentioned, there are thousands of Yoruba outside Yorubland doing roadside or buka food selling, Okada and kabukabu among other lowly and menial stuff. These are lowly businesses, no doubt. Now, Fasola, in his wisdom, determined who is a beggar in Lagos. In like manner, the North can also determine who is a beggar and an unwanted element in their midst. You only need to go to the North and see the Yoruba population there.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 7:53pm On Aug 23, 2009
Are there beggars of Yoruba origin in Lagos? Answer is Yes; I have seen many of them. Have they been deported to their Yoruba states of origin? Are hausa beggars in Lagos of a different hue than Yoruba beggars in Lagos? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 7:56pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Are there beggars of Yoruba origin in Lagos? Answer is Yes; I have seen many of them. Have they been deported to their Yoruba states of origin? Are hausa beggars in Lagos of a different hue than Yoruba beggars in Lagos? Your guess is as good as mine.

He has done that.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 23, 2009
when you cut the hands of a man due to sharia law, dont expect Lagos to welcome him with open arms.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 8:10pm On Aug 23, 2009
Davidylan,

Pray tell, how many of the Lagos beggars have their hands cut via Sharia? Infact, how many hands have been cut by sharia in N Nigeria? We all know that Sharia was just a political ploy hatched to frustrate OBJ from power. I have seen many of the beggars; they have both hands intact, albeit some with leprous fingers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari Speaks On Arrival Of Her Baby, Thanks Those Who Congratulated Her / PDP Governors, Saraki In Osun For Mega Rally Tomorrow / Femi Fani Kayode: I Will Never Join APC, Till Jesus Comes (Throwback Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.