Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,932 members, 7,806,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30423 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 8:17pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Are there beggars of Yoruba origin in Lagos? Answer is Yes; I have seen many of them. Have they been deported to their Yoruba states of origin? Are hausa beggars in Lagos of a different hue than Yoruba beggars in Lagos? Your guess is as good as mine.

A resounding YES to that.

Lagos has it's own problems to worry about. . . . .The Northerners should not add to our misery in the South West.
Good move by Fashola. . . . . .Loitering/Wandering is a crime anywhere. . . .
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by NiggNogg(m): 8:19pm On Aug 23, 2009
Do you really think removing 160 beggars from Lagos is going to help?

I agree it is a start, but it is a drop in the ocean!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 8:19pm On Aug 23, 2009
i know these people are somewhat the cancer to society but who has ever heard of deporting nigerians in nigeria?
well they do come to lagos and beg and only bring the mega city down but i mean idk . . .

this is very unfortunate.

and with all these boko haram threats and this and that they have to take EVERY precaution and be very watchful of EVERYTHING so i dont blame them.

also . . .
i wish their women had more rights   lipsrsealed
damn shariah law  angry
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 8:23pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

A resounding YES to that.

How is an Hausa beggar different from a Yoruba beggar?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 8:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

How is an Hausa beggar different from a Yoruba beggar?

A Yoruba beggar is in a Yoruba territory. . .Hausa beggar ain't.
Besides, it's an open secret that these Hausas use Yoruba peops as sacrifice whenever there's a civil unrest in Lagos.
Why take em with open arms? They should deport all of em. . . .

Matter of fact. . . .All vehicles coming to Lagos should be searched so as to weed off these Northern lepers. . .
If there are Yoruba beggars in other parts of Nigeria too, let em be deported.
Enough is enough.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:26pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Are there beggars of Yoruba origin in Lagos? Answer is Yes; I have seen many of them. Have they been deported to their Yoruba states of origin? Are hausa beggars in Lagos of a different hue than Yoruba beggars in Lagos? Your guess is as good as mine.

yes ohh i agree thats why i said EVERYONE not just the northerners

If you cant pay taxes you must leave
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 8:30pm On Aug 23, 2009
THE AMAKA:

i know these people are somewhat the cancer to society but who has ever heard of deporting nigerians in nigeria?
well they do come to lagos and beg and only bring the mega city down but i mean idk . . .

this is very unfortunate.

they come and beg not even look for job using their children
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by THEAMAKA(f): 8:33pm On Aug 23, 2009
well what can we say.
Nigeria there is almost no opportunities.
but then again most people in the north are notorious for taking their education for granted.
a lot of them dont go to school, especially their young girls.
the problem is only going to get worse.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 8:37pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

A Yoruba beggar is in a Yoruba territory. . .Hausa beggar ain't.
Besides, it's an open secret that these Hausas use Yoruba peops as sacrifice whenever there's a civil unrest in Lagos.
Why take em with open arms? They should deport all of em. . . .

Matter of fact. . . .All vehicles coming to Lagos should be searched so as to weed off these Northern lepers. . .
If there are Yoruba beggars in other parts of Nigeria too, let em be deported.
Enough is enough.

Unless yorubaland is a sovereign country this statement holds no water.

And why should hausa people people use yoruba as sacrifice if the yorubas are the majority in lagos?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by LadyT(f): 8:38pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

Lagos “Deports” 160 Northern Beggers    Print  E-mail

Another of the deportees, Hassan Ali, told LEADERSHIP WEEKEND that it is the failure of leadership that made them leave for Lagos to seek a means of livelihood. “As you know, we are aged and cannot afford the basic things of life, but if we had responsible leadership in our region, we would not leave our houses to a strange land to beg just to survive.

“They dumped us here and we don’t have food and Ramadan is likely to begin tomorrow (Saturday).We are also begging that we should be taken to Kano State, because I am from Albasu local government area of Kano State. Some of our women and children have gotten lost in Kaduna.”

Oh please many wanted to go home they just didnt have the means stop selective reading people!

And how many of you actually help beggers. Abeg carry them comot jor
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

Unless yorubaland is a sovereign country this statement holds no water.

Yorubaland ain't a sovereign country. . . . .
Northerners are free to move everywhere but they cannot constitute a nuisance in Lagos in the name of freedom of movement.
Begging alms on the streets of Lagos is constituting a nuisance. . . . .so Fashola is right to deport these undesirable elements.

And why should hausa people people use yoruba as sacrifice if the yorubas are the majority in lagos?

Were u a tot during the infamous Ketu riot?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2009
the northern clashes with yorubas in lagos
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 23, 2009
Folks this issue is as complicated as Nigeria itself

As a country that claims to be one, every 'Nigerian' have the right to live where they like and the first reaction to this is that what Fashola has done is illegal under the law.

But as a guy who has lived in the North for one year during my service year, I have seen how people are willing to sabotage the boarders and allow non Nigerians from Niger Republic to come through the boarders and live amongst them. And most times these people tend to head further South which is why population is out of control in Nigeria.
So from this point of view you can see that while Fashola's action may not be supported by the law, how else do you deal with a situation like this

But the lesson in the long run is that, Fashola is already practicing devolution on many fronts and I think other States should try to see how much devolved powers they can excersize.

We are supposed to be a Federal Republic and various States should begin to excersize there devolved powers.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:30pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

As a country that claims to be one, every 'Nigerian' have the right to live where they like and the first reaction to this is that what Fashola has done is illegal under the law.

He did not deport all the Hausas living in Lagos. . . . .He deported the ones constituting a nuisance.
Go to Buckingham Palace with your British passport and beg alms and letz see if your ass won't be tossed. . . .
Fashola has the right to keep his State clean and if deporting beggars is his first move in getting Lagos clean. . .by all means let him do it.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Hauwa1: 9:33pm On Aug 23, 2009
suffer not the poor

lai lai lolo, lai lai lolo
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

He did not deport all the Hausas living in Lagos. . . . .He deported the ones constituting a nuisance.
Go to Buckingham Palace with your British passport and beg alms and letz see if your ass won't be tossed. . . .
Fashola has the right to keep his State clean and if deporting beggars is his first move in getting Lagos clean. . .by all means let him do it.

How did he know this ppeople were from Kaduna

lets not get into legal technicalities because this is illegal under law, it amounts to discrimination based on looks and language.

It may be the only option, that I understand.

But don't try to justify it under the law.  

Lagos is neither Buckingham Palace nor Aso Rock.

This is Akin to London Metropolitan police deporting a Beggar who spoke with Scotish accent to the outskirts of Edinburgh . . . . .it is unacceptable under the law.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 9:37pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

But as a guy who has lived in the North for one year during my service year, I have seen how people are willing to sabotage the boarders and allow non Nigerians from Niger Republic to come through the boarders and live amongst them. And most times these people tend to head further South which is why population is out of control in Nigeria.
So from this point of view you can see that while Fashola's action may not be supported by the law, how else do you deal with a situation like this

But the lesson in the long run is that, Fashola is already practicing devolution on many fronts and I think other States should try to see how much devolved powers they can excersize.

We are supposed to be a Federal Republic and various States should begin to excersize there devolved powers.

it was legal you cant live in lagos and not pay taxes. Pitching up shanty towns is illegal, loitering is illegal and that is what these people do.

jail or leave
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:41pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

How did he know this ppeople were from Kaduna
lets not get into legal technicalities because this is illegal under law, it amounts to discrimination based on looks and language.

Where else would they be from?
Even a dog can tell the difference between a Mallam and a Yoruba man.

It may be the only option, that I understand.
But don't try to justify it under the law.  

U can sue the Governor if he's committing a crime.

Lagos is neither Buckingham Palace nor Aso Rock.
This is Akin to London Metropolitan police deporting a Beggar who spoke with Scotish accent to the outskirts of Edinburgh . . . . .it is unacceptable under the law.

England and Scotland are 2 different countries. . . . .Kaduna and Lagos are not.
It is not unacceptable to get rid of undesirable elements in one's city. . . . London Met do that from time to time.
Under normal circumstances, they should be locked up for begging alms and sent back to where they came from.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

it was legal you cant live in lagos and not pay taxes. Pitching up shanty towns is illegal, loitering is illegal and that is what these people do.

jail or leave

If people don't pay taxes you either fine them or jail them

If people put up illegal buildings you relocate them to a new home while detroying the illegal buildings

If people are lotering you take them to welfare homes

To relocate people to the middle of nowhere, where you don't even have jurisdiction without the consent of the local powers is illegal.

That is why they have deportation powers all arround the world which most times are executed in agreement between the two Countries concerned. Yet in this case we are talking about Nigerians being ejected against their will and without a court order.

I am not particularly critical of what Fashola did, but its important to speak the truth.

In a country where the law works, this amounts to criminal kidnap. But ours is not a Nation of laws. we are not even working towards a unified goal otherwise why will Northerners be so happy to keep allowing people through their boarders from Niger Republic.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 9:43pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

As mentioned, there are thousands of Yoruba outside Yorubland doing roadside or buka food selling, Okada and kabukabu among other lowly and menial stuff. These are lowly businesses, no doubt. Now, Fasola, in his wisdom, determined who is a beggar in Lagos. In like manner, the North can also determine who is a beggar and an unwanted element in their midst. You only need to go to the North and see the Yoruba population there.

There is a major difference here even in your example.

The Yorubas there doing lowly stuff at least are a productive member of society. That is fundamentally different from absolutely useless begging. If they were cleaning the streets and begging for handout at the same time, then one would say they are productive.

If the north try to dispatch a lot of the southerners doing lowly jobs in the north, then their society and economy would only collapse more as the south run their transportation business and eatery.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Where else would they be from?
Even a dog can tell the difference between a Mallam and a Yoruba man.

U can sue the Governor if he's committing a crime.

England and Scotland are 2 different countries. . . . .Kaduna and Lagos are not.
It is not unacceptable to get rid of undesirable elements in one's city. . . . London Met do that from time to time.
Under normal circumstances, they should be locked up for begging alms and sent back to where they came from.

Scotland and England have a unified immigration system and answer to the same Government in West Minister just like we do. Yes there are devolved powers that will not allow london met secretely relocate anyone to scotland without contacting the Scotish police or authorities.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by chic2pimp(m): 9:48pm On Aug 23, 2009
I can see this topic is very touchy. I seriously don't know whose side to take
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 9:49pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

If people don't pay taxes you either fine them or jail them

If people put up illegal buildings you relocate them to a new home while detroying the illegal buildings

If people are lotering you take them to welfare homes

To relocate people to the middle of nowhere, where you don't even have jurisdiction without the consent of the local powers is illegal.

That is why they deportation powers all arround the world which most times are executed in agreement between the two Countries concerned. Yet in this case we are talking about Nigerians being ejected against their will and without a court order.

I am not particularly critical of what Fashola did, but its important to speak the truth.

how can you fine someone who doesn't have proper funds to pay them?

i agree with you but welfare homes for people who cant afford rent ?

what investor will build homes for people who cant pay rent?

what documentations do they have?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2009
Despite the fact that it might be unlawful to deport Nigerians within Nigeria, I have never been the type to embolden the execution of laws that restrict your progress if you can ignore it without doing something awful.

Lagos is over-populated and the beggars are an eyesore, unproductive and a migration of other people's problems to a state that has its own problems.

As long as you are not chucking out a productive nigerian, please chuck out the useless ones.

What is the point of boasting of lawfulness but can't boast of progress.

Sending them back to the north would not kill them, they lose virtually nothing and Lagos gains.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 9:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

Scotland and England have a unified immigration system and answer to the same Government in West Minister just like we do. Yes there are devolved powers that will not allow london met secretely relocate anyone to scotland without contacting the Scotish police or authorities.

This is Nigeria. . . . .Just like London Met will not secretly relocate any miscreant, they will not put up with begging alms as well.
TBH, this is apple n oranges. I don't see nothing wrong in what Fashola has done.
If the Governor of Kaduna feels some Yorubas are begging alms as well in his State. . . .He should deport em to Lagos as well.

Letz not apply tribalism here. . . . . .These peops contribute nowt to the development of Lagos State.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 9:58pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

This is Nigeria. . . . .Just like London Met will not secretly relocate any miscreant, they will not put up with begging alms as well.
TBH, this is apple n oranges. I don't see nothing wrong in what Fashola has done.
If the Governor of Kaduna feels some Yorubas are begging alms as well in his State. . . .He should deport em to Lagos as well.

Letz not apply tribalism here. . . . . .These peops contribute nowt to the development of Lagos State.

I thought they said it is a kind of business to them?That some people actually send them outside to beg.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2009
After all is said and done, considering what northern rulers have done to Nigeria, though it might be legally wrong to deport Nigerians from parts of Nigeria, these guys have wrecked Nigeria in many ways: while their leaders have been at the forefront of looting and maladministration in Nigeria, their followers, goaded on by some of the same leaders have been killing and maiming southerners like no man's business. Rather than this deportation which is at best a cosmetic and most likely a short-living approach, the south should consider seriously carving itself away from the north. This is a more lasting approach. This is not about Biafra, but about a southern Nigeria rid of the North.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2009
If a group of hundreds of Southerners went to Kano with the sole intent of setting up drinking joints or postituting themselves and nothing else, and the Kano government rounded them up and sent them back to Lagos, we will all be rejoicing that it is not too harsh and wonder why they are going to provoke the local customs/ideals.

It might not be illegal to setup a drinking joint in Nigeria but aspects of the north have stated they do not want it, so if they only deport you but not kill or flog you, it would not be so bad.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 10:01pm On Aug 23, 2009
On another note, why not the beggars be made to pay tax from the proceeds of their begging? Some of 'em net like 1000 naira daily? grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:01pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

I thought they said it is a kind of business to them?That some people actually send them outside to beg.

Then that's sad. . . . .
I have seen some kids like Arabs too. . . . .Those adorable kids and their mothers hound people and beg for money till the cows come home.
They should be the first on the Jumbo plane to Niger Republic or wherever they came from.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Not exactly sure why the bit in bold is of any use to this argument.

But what you don't seem to get is that not all Hausas are from Kaduna . . . .Nigerians do not carry identities showing their state of origin.
You have a right to be happy with Fashola's action, but don't try to justify it under the law.

Generally I think we need an honest debate about the Future of Nigeria.

One Nigeria should not be only when it is convenient.
We are either one or we are not. The idea that a State Government executes such an action in 21st century Nigeria tells you there is something wrong with the country itself.

Nigerians should be Nigerians, productive or not. (the talk about apples and oranges is even more shameful).
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2009
Sagamite:

If a group of hundreds of Southerners went to Kano with the sole intent of setting up drinking joints or postituting themselves and nothing else, and the Kano government rounded them up and sent them back to Lagos, we will all be rejoicing that it is not too harsh and wonder why they are going to provoke the local customs/ideals.

It might not be illegal to setup a drinking joint in Nigeria but aspects of the north have stated they do not want it, so if they only deport you but not kill or flog you, it would not be so bad.

Based on this alone, I tend to change my position in support of the deportation. You only need to be reminded of how unsafe southerners are in northern Nigeria. Thanks Sagamite.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Is Talking Nonsense - Edwin Clark / Femi Fani Kayode: I Will Never Join APC, Till Jesus Comes (Throwback Video) / Sir Ahmadu Bello's Statement Made On October 12, 1960. Days After Independence.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.