Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Save Oyo State Public Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Save Oyo State Public Schools (13699 Views)

Decay In Public Schools In Akwa Ibom (Photos, Video) / PHOTO: Public Schools In Kano Flooded Days After First Heavy Downpour / Private schools in Rwanda close down as public schools become more attractive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 30, 2016
The economic situation of the country is bad enough. Education should be any government's priority. It is a shame that the plan of government is to privatise schools and make it difficult for the under privileged to have access to basic Education.

I implore the Oyo State government to rethink their decision.

Private bodies and NLC are already speaking against it.

lalasticlala, OAM4J, mynd44

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 30, 2016
Ibadan, May 30, 2016.
PRESS STATEMENT
MUSLIM COMMUNITY CONDEMNS SALE OF
SCHOOLS IN OYO STATE.

The Muslim Community of Oyo state (MUSCOYS) has condemned in strong terms the proposed plan by Oyo State Government to sell off schools in Oyo state contrary to the provisions of Universal Basic Education Act of 2014 and Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999.
It is a strange phenomenon that Oyo State Government without consultation with all stakeholders unilaterally decided to sell what belongs to all the entire citizenry.
It will be recalled that the state Governor, Sen. Abiola Ajimobi in 2015 set up Oyo state Inter religious/Inter ethnic Committee whose function is to meet regularly on issues of this nature but unfortunately met only once after its inauguration and this issue was not table at the meeting.
It is expected that to take a decision on such important matter, an education summit ought to have been organised before such pronouncement. It is like putting the cart before the horse.
While we sympathise with government on paucity of funds, the Muslim Community of Oyo state will not allow the government to trade away the future of the children of the downtrodden just because of a few shylock.
It is worrisome and disappointing that a governor that swore on his inauguration to protect the constitution now went against it by violating provisions of the same constitution and thereby destroying Obafemi Awolowo’s legacy of free education in the state which the Governor promised to uphold.
One of the hallmarks of the present administration is the creation of peace in the land. The ripple effects of this policy may create chaos and anarchy in the state.
For record purposes ``the Universal Basic Education of 2014 states that ``every government in Nigeria shall provide free compulsory and Universal Basic Education for every child of primary and junior secondary school age’’.
It also provides that every parent who contravenes this act commit an offence and is liable to a fine or imprisonment or both.
We, therefore appeal to government to rescind this decision of waging war against its people for which the Governor swore to uphold.
Signed.
------------------------ -------------------------
Alhaji Ishaq Kunle Sanni Alhaji Mursiq Siyanbade
Chairman Secretary

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 30, 2016
Dear Cmrde, pls join NLC/NUT rally against Oyo State Govt's plan to sell secondary schools in the State to interested private buyers. The rally will take off from the NLC office on Wed 1st June by 8.00 am. Thks for your sopport. Cmrde Kofo Ogundeji, NLC State Secretary.

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Florblu(f): 11:04pm On May 30, 2016
After sacking most of the teachers
Ajimobi is really at work
#ThatHisHeadThatIsNotCorrect

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 6:23am On May 31, 2016
Florblu:
After sacking most of the teachers
Ajimobi is really at work
#ThatHisHeadThatIsNotCorrect

He is going to throw more people into the labour market.
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 7:59am On May 31, 2016
Gov. Daniel of Ogun returned schools to Missions and over 21,000 students dropped out of school, [/b]as their parents couldn't afford the N25,000 - N35,000 per term fee charged by new owners. [b]Gov. Amosun came, he listened to the yearnings of the downtrodden and in June, 2011, less than one month in office, his government took the schools back. He saved public schools and his people jubilated. Many entreaties were made to him by the the disgruntled Shylocks to allow them continue exploiting the people, he never caved-in. He remains on the side of the people. Ajise bi Oyo laari, Esin iwaju ni teyin wo sare. May God guide our govt. to toe the people's path.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by GuDErboY(m): 5:06pm On May 31, 2016
Naija!!!!!! Nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by OLUJOSHINS(m): 5:06pm On May 31, 2016
This is appalling

selling school!!!!!!

So the govt cannot maintain schools again haa Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by massinola(m): 5:06pm On May 31, 2016
mean while, when you cook stew with fresh tomatoes

7 Likes

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by ariesbull: 5:07pm On May 31, 2016
It is the capital of the the most sophisticated race ..who are we to save the schools of the sophisticated ones

Pls where can I buy tomatoes
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Tobyshegz(m): 5:08pm On May 31, 2016
noted.
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by omolola15(m): 5:08pm On May 31, 2016
I don't understand. I need to hear the governor's side of the story. Just this morning I still discussed with a friend on how the governor and one organization I don't know their name are developing and building new structures for schools.

Is he repairing them to sell them?

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by FagsamPHP(m): 5:09pm On May 31, 2016
k
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Peacetemi: 5:09pm On May 31, 2016
Haahaa Nigeria is finished. Let's kidnapp all our politicians and start selling them.

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Dreal11247: 5:09pm On May 31, 2016
The annoying thing is that most of these politicians that are destroying the educational system in this country were trained through scholarships. God will help us.

3 Likes

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by lepasharon(f): 5:09pm On May 31, 2016
Obunka
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by manutdrichie(m): 5:10pm On May 31, 2016
Difference between APC govt and PDP govt

9 Likes

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by horlabiyi(m): 5:11pm On May 31, 2016
We told y'all to vote out this clueless omo iya elewa but you didn't listen saying he's the best thing after slice bread.

Apart from the Mokola bridge what other did he commission in his 5yrs as Oyo governor? Shine your eyes come 2019

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by sanandreas(m): 5:13pm On May 31, 2016
Dividends of change. Enjoy!!!
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Ahmeduana(m): 5:16pm On May 31, 2016
massinola:
mean why, when you cook stew with fresh tomatoes
MAIN WHILE!

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by madridguy(m): 5:16pm On May 31, 2016
Ajimobi must be a comedian trying to pull our legs. I trust his carpenter, he won't dare removing nail with his teeth. Awon oloribobo.

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Lilimax(f): 5:16pm On May 31, 2016
What!
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by rafkollinz: 5:20pm On May 31, 2016
ajimobi watz wrong wif dt man nowwwww it is obafemi awolowos legacy dc guy want destroy. eh so ma WO oooo ko San owo sukuu to fi jade n he now cum cum destroy some 1 legacy

ahhhhhh aye le
eh so fun gomina wa pe

o ti yooooooo
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by TeamSimple(m): 5:20pm On May 31, 2016
he don red
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 31, 2016
Copied: A NOTE TO GOV AJIMOBI: YOU MUST PAUSE FOR THOUGHT AND ACT FOR POSTERITY TO BE ON YOUR SIDE

I have been having sleepless nights ever since I saw your EXPRESSION OF INTEREST advert, asking interested individuals to pay N250,000 application fee for public-private-partnership and ownership of the public schools in Oyo State. I am terribly worried!

While some of your close associates have said you ONLY intend to return the mission schools to the original owners - the religious bodies, but right thinking concerned citizens, like me, consider the advert a clear step towards the sales of public schools, into the private hands for profit making. You are not even smart enough to hide the anti-people idea.

Why will you be calling for an expression of interest, asking people to pay, and equally calling for stakeholders meeting? Shouldn't the latter precedes the former? Shouldn't your call for the expression of interest be specifically targeted at religious bodies, the missionaries? Why won't you involve the State Assembly in this monumental policy process, especially when you do NOT have a cabinet?

YOU MUST PAUSE FOR THOUGHT.

Mr Abiola Ajimobi, you should NOT set a bad precedence in Oyo State for other non-progressive governors in Nigeria. You once noted that the Legendary Late Obafemi Awolowo conceived many good ideas in Ibadan, and implemented them, including FREE EDUCATION. Now, you should NOT conceive destroying foundation education totally, if you can not solve the problem.

If you are, just like your Dad - Late Chief Ganiyu Ajimobi faithfully was, a true political follower of Late Awolowo, you would strive hard to maintain his legacies, or make them better. Remember you took advantage, and partly rode to power on your father's political legacy as an Awoist. Awolowo was a thinking-leader, you can develop your thinking capacity too. And by the way, God is NOT wicked, as to have given us ONLY one Awolowo!

We know, even if you are succeeded, due to possible lack of strong opposition, in selling the public schools under the pretense of returning mission schools, it will be temporal, as surely those who would have bought the schools will be at a loss eventually.

But the students, parents and the hapless teachers would have been badly affected. This is why we MUST NOT allow you to succeed in selling the public schools to private hands. We MUST help you NOT to make a terrible mistake.

There is nowhere in the world where foundation education is fully privatized. At least, I can say of the UK, Canada and the USA, where capitalism have not covered their eyes to the welfare of the less-privilege in the society. The rich there, through taxes, pay for the education of children of the less-privilege. In fact, in Scotland and Canada, government pays for the primary and secondary education of all children, all children, whether they attend public, private or religious schools. In Scotland, government knows the cost of providing free education for a child in public school. So, if you decide to place your child in a private school, government will pay for the equivalent cost in a public school, and you will pay the balance. In Canada, if any parent takes his child to private school, he first pays, but such parent eventually claims the money through the process of tax return. In fact, if the parent is unable to pay, the school sends the bill to government.

When I was conducting personal research into solving this problem in 2013, I contacted a good number of school teachers and principals in Oyo town who told me that many of the students don't even have money to buy lunch, not to talk of having money to buy notebooks. Now, would selling the schools to private owners or a share to joint owners (who are meant to make profits) solve this problem? Certainly no.

In the US where I currently live, we pay taxes. Our children attend public school because it offers the same quality as the others. We don't pay any fee, but we are encouraged to freely donate to school, and the PTA determines how such donation is used. Our 3 children get breakfast at 7.30am, lunch at 12pm and snacks at around 2pm for ONLY 40 cent, and they close at 3.00pm. We pay 40 cents per child for their meals because our income level is considered higher than been qualified for the free meals. Some people get absolutely FREE MEAL. Some people also pay more than we do for the same meal, because their income is higher than ours. We are even allowed to appeal the school board's decision for asking us to pay for the meal, if we are not satisfied. Any school material (e.g. reading books, notebooks, pens etc) we buy for our children, we claim the cost back in filling our annual income tax return. Now this may interest you, the school nurses/audiologists/speech pathologists/psychologists etc conduct hearing, speech, and other tests to the children regularly in school, and they help them improve in their learning experience. Any serious case is referred to the hospital for treatment.

I believe this idea can be replicated in Nigeria with some possible amendments, indeed in Oyo State, if there is WILL AND DETERMINATION to do so. Gov Ajimobi, you can start it in Oyo State. Your successor can continue later. Please do NOT be a lazy thinker.

12. We shall work assiduously to achieve a UNESCO student/teacher ratio in our primary and secondary schools. Our agenda in education will emphasize Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to ensure that we produce students with cutting-edge skills for the needs of the modern world. Let me take time out to commend our teachers who have had to work under challenging environments and who were yet expected to turn out our children, not only as productive members of society but also as patriotic citizens. We cannot thank you enough and I pledge that you will not have to wait for the
heavens before you receive your rewards. We shall be partners in this process of restoration and together, we shall restore the glory for which the educational sector of Oyo State got its renown."

I can tell you now, that you are already going far, derailing from the substances of this speech. You still have three years to make a difference!

DR OLARINRE SALAKO wrote from the USA.

PS: Any reader who agrees with this NOTE should please share

14 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 31, 2016
O Lord,when ll nigerians stop crying.is God teaching us like d israelites? o Lord,please allay us and afflict our oppressors
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by truthspeaks: 5:27pm On May 31, 2016
Nawa oo
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by Timbuktu14(m): 5:27pm On May 31, 2016
The Governor is bragging that they ain't seen nothing yet! Can you imagine!? What in the world is this man thinking for heaven's sake?

1 Like

Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by bayocanny: 5:28pm On May 31, 2016
The present administration in oyo state is not something to write about, all I can see here is white elephant project
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by laurel03(m): 5:28pm On May 31, 2016
Ajimobi don dey smoke Osogbo weed walahi.... Ds 2nd term is a flop...
Re: Save Oyo State Public Schools by chukslawrence(m): 5:29pm On May 31, 2016
K

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Light: UNN Medical Students Embark On A Peaceful Protest (Pictures) / LASU Graduates 8 First Class Out Of 17,695 / 7 Great Ways To Spend ASUU Strike Or Any Holiday Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.