Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,338 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. (4141 Views)

Five People Shot Dead In Florida Airport / Orlando Attack: Woman & Her Son Chat Before He Was Shot Dead At Orlando Shooting / 50 People Shot Dead At Florida Gay Nightclub In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by kingsilly(m): 8:42am On May 31, 2016
For those asking bout tranquilizer, according to the defense team of the zoo, it takes around 5 min for the tranq to take effect and if shot the gorilla becomes restless till it kicks in, and that would be risky for the little boy
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by braithwaite(m): 8:50am On May 31, 2016
Explorers:

Can you just imagine, i dont just get what the past has to do with this.

I blame the zoo authority who should have take necessary steps to take down harambee instead of shooting him down..tranq him..and this animal are very sensitive when they notice the so called victim are defendless and unharming

2 Likes

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 8:50am On May 31, 2016
Damfostopper:
Atleast shooting shud av been delayed a further cos it looks like harambe wanted to help d child... Not shooting it with life bullets.... D behave like nigerians weneva d see animal na kill be dat

Tranquilizers should always be available at different locations few meters away from one another incase of a situation like this.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 9:23am On May 31, 2016
kingsilly:
For those asking bout tranquilizer, according to the defense team of the zoo, it takes around 5 min for the tranq to take effect and if shoot the gorilla becomes restless till it kicks in, and that would be risky for the little boy

I read there are newly developed ones that takes effect immediately after impact.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by kingsilly(m): 9:24am On May 31, 2016
Explorers:

I read there are newly developed ones that takes effect immediately after impact.

E never reach cicinnati zoo yet grin grin
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 5:24pm On May 31, 2016
I am beyond guttedangry angry angry

Is it not enough that humans capture endangered animals and enslave them in zoos's for the selfish excitement of humans?, yet, these endangered animals are not guaranteed safety even in captivity, so what is the essence of a zoo?

The Cincinnati Zoo should be closed down and the director fired immediately, i don't care what anyone says, endangered wild animals don't belong in the zoo, i would rather watch them extinct in the freedom of the wild than in captivity in zoo's.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by olu4life(m): 5:51pm On May 31, 2016
According to the report and video, the scene lasted for 10mins. I believe if the gorilla wanted to kill, wouldn't have taken up to a minute.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 6:01pm On May 31, 2016
olu4life:
According to the report and video, the scene lasted for 10mins. I believe if the gorilla wanted to kill, wouldn't have taken up to a minute.

I saw that too and i believe 10mins is too long for the gorilla to kill/harm the boy.

Witnesses said the gorilla looked like he was trying to protect the boy from panicked bystanders (pictured)
cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 10:54pm On May 31, 2016
Explorers:

I saw that too and i believe 10mins is too long for the gorilla to kill/harm the boy.

Witnesses said the gorilla looked like he was trying to protect the boy from panicked bystanders (pictured)
cc: Lalasticlala

Unlike their male counterparts, female gorillas are renowned to be very protective and have the unique intelligence of deciphering young ones especially mammal looking species, males on the other hand are quite territorial and in many instances have harmed their younger ones especially younger males.

No one should understand estimate the strength of a Gorilla either, however, if the Gorilla was going to harm or kill the baby, it would have been immediately it came in contact, reaction is usually impulsive as a means of defense, anything longer after two minutes for a female Gorilla becomes emotional.

It questions the amount of knowledge Zoo officials have about the animals enslaved in their facilities, Harambe was an endangered female adult (17 years), there were numerous means to have distracted her from the child, i am not even talking of utilizing a tranquilizer, worth more a deadly gun and if using a gun was the last resort, why shot to kill? why not shoot to immobilize? the options were numerous, however, they went for the fastest because officials panicked.

I would reiterate once more, that i would rather watch endangered species extinct in the freedom of the wild where they belong than in captivity.

I have never been a fan of Zoo's and this incident makes it even worse.

2 Likes

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by lapazi(m): 1:23am On Jun 01, 2016
880 humans died in the Mediterranean last week. 1 gorilla in a zoo died last week. The latter is headline news. Why?

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 3:47am On Jun 01, 2016
lapazi:
880 humans died in the Mediterranean last week. 1 gorilla in a zoo died last week. The latter is headline
news. Why?

Is Harambe the reason 880 humans perished in the Mediterranean? Did the 880 humans make conscious decisions to risk their lives by seeking greener pastures illegally?

The Gorilla was taken forcefully away from its natural habitat, enslaved against its wishes for the satisfaction of humans, the same Gorilla payed the ultimate price for the stupidity of a human whose 3 year old informed her he wanted to swim with the Gorilla and 5 mins found his way into the immediate habitat of the Gorilla.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 3:48am On Jun 01, 2016
Roland17:

Unlike their male counterparts, female gorillas are renowned to be very protective and have the unique intelligence of deciphering young ones especially mammal looking species, males on the other hand are quite territorial and in many instances have harmed their younger ones especially younger males.

No one should understand estimate the strength of a Gorilla either, however, if the Gorilla was going to harm or kill the baby, it would have been immediately it came in contact, reaction is usually impulsive as a means of defense, anything longer after two minutes for a female Gorilla becomes emotional.

It questions the amount of knowledge Zoo officials have about the animals enslaved in their facilities, Harambe was an endangered female adult (17 years), there were numerous means to have distracted her from the child, i am not even talking of utilizing a tranquilizer, worth more a deadly gun and if using a gun was the last resort, why shot to kill? why not shoot to immobilize? the options were numerous, however, they went for the fastest because officials panicked.

I would reiterate once more, that i would rather watch endangered species extinct in the freedom of the wild where they belong than in captivity.

I have never been a fan of Zoo's and this incident makes it even worse.
[b][/b]

Someone stated that a gorilla that will harm will beat the chest, he said harambe didn't. What were they even doing for 10mins?

Support the last statement, i hate zoos or wild parks. Will rather see museum or historical sites.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 7:28am On Jun 01, 2016
Roland17:
I am beyond guttedangry angry angry

Is it not enough that humans capture endangered animals and enslave them in zoos's for the selfish excitement of humans?, yet, these endangered animals are not guaranteed safety even in captivity, so what is the essence of a zoo?

The Cincinnati Zoo should be closed down and the director fired immediately, i don't care what anyone says, endangered wild animals don't belong in the zoo, i would rather watch them extinct in the freedom of the wild than in captivity in zoo's.

Sire, asides animal rights and everything. I want to understand why does who are calling for the zoo and parents head are doing it.

Please, is there any proven scientific research that says if a gorilla doesn't harm you within 10 minutes, then it will never harm you?

Probably, the darts that were able to tranquilise immediately were not available. The Zoo was faced with, human life or animal life? They chose animal life, I don't get the outrage. It's not like they went on a shooting spree and decided to kill Harambe. I saw the video on CNN, the way the Gorilla was dragging and pushing the child with feeble bones, in an enclosure filled with rocks. What if the child's head had come in contact with one of the rocks? With that force it will be instant death.

I don't want to believe that humanity is driving towards an era where animal life would be valued more than that of a human. Even humans are killed when it is necessary, talk more of an animal. In all these, it seems the 'justice for Harambe' agitators are not even considering the possiblity that a human child may have died in the process. I wonder if the poor child had died, would it have sparked media outrage like the death of Harambe did?

You mentioned trying to distract the gorilla, what if that hadn't worked and the child paid the ultimate price instead. Let's be open and consider every possiblilty here. I would love to hear from you, thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 7:40am On Jun 01, 2016
Explorers:
[b][/b]

Someone stated that a gorilla that will harm will beat the chest, he said harambe didn't. What were they even doing for 10mins?

Support the last statement, i hate zoos or wild parks. Will rather see museum or historical sites.

Sir.

Your first statement, is it a proven fact? If a gorilla doesn't harm you within 10 minutes of coming in contact with you and doesn't beat her chest. Does it mean we can then assume and be sure that we are 100% safe? That statement to me is just an assumption because no one was in Harambe's mind, she could as well be delaying what she wanted to do because of the on lookers. Maybe there were other reasons.

I do not support the killing of endangered animals on an ordinary day. But, I think Harambe's death was justified. This was clearly a case of human or animal life. Harambe may have unwillingly mauled the child. Did you notice the way the child was being dragged up and down. That is hard for a full grown adult, let alone, a child.

I think you are looking at a one sided possiblilty here. As much as the child may not have been killed immediately. That doesn't mean at the end he wouldn't be killed still. The tranquilisers that take immediate effect may not have been within reach then. Would you hinge your argument on the lack of those?

I saw your post on the lady that lost her eyes and hands to a chimpanzee rampage. I do not want to believe that it is only when things have gotten to that extent that the killing of an animal may be justified. Worse still, I do not want to believe that you have not considered the life of the child who was in the enclosure with a wild gorrila. I wonder, if people would have actually preferred the death of the child to the death of Harambe. God, we are talking human.

Sire, that child could be anyone's child, imagine it.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 7:44am On Jun 01, 2016
Chuksemi:

Sire, asides animal rights and everything. I want to understand why does who are calling for the zoo and parents head are doing it.

Please, is there any proven scientific research that says if a gorilla doesn't harm you within 10 minutes, then it will never harm you?

Probably, the darts that were able to tranquilise immediately were not available. The Zoo was faced with, human life or animal life? They chose animal life, I don't get the outrage. It's not like they went on a shooting spree and decided to kill Harambe. I saw the video on CNN, the way the Gorilla was dragging and pushing the child with feeble bones, in an enclosure filled with rocks. What if the child's head had come in contact with one of the rocks? With that force it will be instant death.

I don't want to believe that humanity is driving towards an era where animal life would be valued more than that of a human. Even humans are killed when it is necessary, talk more of an animal. In all these, it seems the 'justice for Harambe' agitators are not even considering the possiblity that a human child may have died in the process. I wonder if the poor child had died, would it have sparked media outrage like the death of Harambe did?

You mentioned trying to distract the gorilla, what if that hadn't worked and the child paid the ultimate price instead. Let's be open and consider every possiblilty here. I would love to hear from you, thank you.

You've spoken bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 7:52am On Jun 01, 2016
Explorers:

You've spoken bro.
Ha. Ok. Thank you sir.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 8:02am On Jun 01, 2016
johnydon22:

Soon mankind will look at how we treat animals with the same disgust and contempt we look at how our ancestors owned and treated slaves.

Or worse, we might get to a time when an animal can maul a human and just serve a jail term. When men would marry gorrila's like Harambe and bear kids. It just might get worse.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Explorers(m): 10:05am On Jun 01, 2016
Chuksemi:

Sir.

Your first statement, is it a proven fact? If a gorilla doesn't harm you within 10 minutes of coming in contact with you and doesn't beat her chest. Does it mean we can then assume and be sure that we are 100% safe? That statement to me is just an assumption because no one was in Harambe's mind, she could as well be delaying what she wanted to do because of the on lookers. Maybe there were other reasons.

I do not support the killing of endangered animals on an ordinary day. But, I think Harambe's death was justified. This was clearly a case of human or animal life. Harambe may have unwillingly mauled the child. Did you notice the way the child was being dragged up and down. That is hard for a full grown adult, let alone, a child.

I think you are looking at a one sided possiblilty here. As much as the child may not have been killed immediately. That doesn't mean at the end he wouldn't be killed still. The tranquilisers that take immediate effect may not have been within reach then. Would you hinge your argument on the lack of those?

I saw your post on the lady that lost her eyes and hands to a chimpanzee rampage. I do not want to believe that it is only when things have gotten to that extent that the killing of an animal may be justified. Worse still, I do not want to believe that you have not considered the life of the child who was in the enclosure with a wild gorrila. I wonder, if people would have actually preferred the death of the child to the death of Harambe. God, we are talking human.

Sire, that child could be anyone's child, imagine it.

Actually am not placing the life of an animal over that of the child. The zoo authority did what was necessary, but why that long, what were they doing for 10 minutes? What if the boy has fallen into a lion, tiger, leopard, bear, or crocodile enclosure?
Few days back for the first time i visited a large and popular shopping facility in my area. I noticed the security in the facility, lots of emergency exits perfectly directed to safety, lots of fire pumps, hoses, extinguishers , fire and security alarms on the walls.
All ive mentioned are within few meters away from each other so that if there should be fire/explosion, attack, robbery, within 5seconds someone will hit the nearest alarm and in a minute people wil exit the building safely

Zoos can be like that, why would they give us an excuse that darts or tranquilizers are not available or far away?
There should be atleast 2-3 trained shooters always in position at any moment with the tranquilizers very close. Most especially the areas they have lions, tiger, leopard, other big cats and bears. They can escape accidentally or sometimes people's stupidity. Nigeria mothers that are zoo goers will hold there kids firmly, but i learnt this boy said he wanted to swim with the the gorilla and he entered somehow.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 10:43am On Jun 01, 2016
Explorers:

Actually am not placing the life of an animal over that of the child. The zoo authority did what was necessary, but why that long, waht were they doing for 10 minutes? What if the boy has fallen into a lion, tiger, leopard, bear, or crocodile enclosure?
Few days back for the first time i visited a large and popular shopping facility in my area. I noticed the security in the facility, lots of emergency exits perfectly directed to safety, lots fire pumps, hoses, extinguishers , fire and security alarms on the walls.
All ive mentioned are within few meters away from each other so that if there should be fire/explosion, attack, robbery, within 5seconds someone will hit the nearest alarm and in a minute people wil exit the building.

Zoos can be like, why would they give us an excuse that darts or tranquilizers are not available or far away?
There should be atleast 2-3 trained shooters always in position at any moment with the tranquilizers very close. Most especially the areas they have lions, tiger, leopard, other big cats and bears. They can escape accidentally or sometimes people's stupidity. Nigeria mothers that are zoo goers will hold there kids firmly, but i learnt this boy said he wanted to swim with the the gorilla and entered somehow.

Yes, I get your point. They may have not been prepared for this kind of occurence. Let's hope proper safety measures are ensured now.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Oahray: 11:07am On Jun 01, 2016
See human beings that do not care about the lives of fellow humans pretending to love a random gorilla to bits. Smh.

I've seen the footage. If you had tried tranquilizing the gorilla, that kid would have been a goner 5 seconds after the shot. Most darts take some time to take effect, and activates this panic mode before subduing the animal. Don't you guys watch documentaries? I'd kill 5 more Harambes on the spot to protect a human.

Call me whatever, but I don't buy this nonsense about animals rights regardless of who is in danger. Even smart humans are sometimes unreasonable, much less creatures of the wild.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by IndianBwoy(m): 11:33am On Jun 01, 2016
Nigeruans reason like animals.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 9:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
Chuksemi:

Before i start, let me state clearly that we (Humans) are all animals.. if you are going to define the actions of Harambe in that moment as animistic, thus should be sacrificed at the altar of mediocrity, then you should sit and analyze the actions and activities of the perceived superior specie and tell me who the real animals are?

How do you argue and place animal rights aside? that sentence alone defeats the logic behind your argument. The human specie is a superior specie, however, the history and evolution of the human specie as scientifically proven is impossible without the Gorilla and its family. Would it sound right if i say, lets remove the pain of death and discuss the killing and kidnap of people in the Niger delta or in Borno? does that sound logical to you?

There would never be an era as far as i know, where animal life would become more valued than that of animals, however, does that mean making irrational arguments and decisions because it best suits us?

There are abound numerous scientific facts and resources about the female Gorilla and just like Zoo officials, many are not informed thus in a bid to protect their own kind are quick to blame a helpless wildlife.

I am not writing with probability here, if you must shoot, must you shoot to kill the Gorilla? killing the Gorilla in itself confirms Zoo officials had no idea or plan on how to deal with that sort of issue. Why was Harambe not killed immediately the child ventured into the Moat? the answer is simple, THEY WERE NEVER PREPARED FOR SUCH OCCURRENCE. stop making ridiculous excuses for officials who are harboring dangerous wild life in their facility, they understand the severity of danger housing these animals. don't you see what i am talking about here?

If you watched the video without emotions, based off the actions of the Gorilla can you conclude the Gorilla was going to harm the 4 year old? was killing Harambe the only resort? if a wild bird had made its way into the moat, would the officials shoot Harambe? or would humans revel in the awesomeness and excitement of a wild bird in the grip of a Gorilla?

How did these wild animals get to the zoo's? why do we have wild animals, that are protected species in the wild? did they ask to be enslaved for the amusement of humans? and now they are enslaved in zoo's their safety can not be guaranteed!!!

An innocent 4 year old warns his dumb and irresponsible mother, he wants to swim with the Gorilla inside the moat and 5 minutes later, this same kid evades 4-5 fences and finds his way inside the moat and some are justifying the killing of a Gorilla!!!!!....

The real issue here, is the despicable and irresponsible level of parenting exhibited by the parents of the 4 year old, they have no business raising a 4 year old, for freaking crying out loud, we are talking of a 4 year old here and not some teenager AND DURING ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS YOU NEVER FOR ONCE MENTIONED THAT, YOU HAVE CAREFULLY AVOIDED THAT ARGUMENT AND FACT.

CAN I ASK? IF ANOTHER 4 YEAR OLD FALLS INTO THE MOAT NEXT YEAR, SHOULD ANOTHER GORILLA BE KILLED? IT BEGS THE QUESTION, WHY EXACTLY DO WE HAVE ZOO's? WHO IS ENJOYING THE PRIVILEGES? THE ANIMALS OR HUMANS?
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 9:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
Oahray:
See human beings that do not care about the lives of fellow humans pretending to love a random gorilla to bits. Smh.

I've seen the footage. If you had tried tranquilizing the gorilla, that kid would have been a goner 5 seconds after the shot. Most darts take some time to take effect, and activates this panic mode before subduing the animal. Don't you guys watch documentaries? I'd kill 5 more Harambes on the spot to protect a human.

Call me whatever, but I don't buy this nonsense about animals rights regardless of who is in danger. Even smart humans are sometimes unreasonable, much less creatures of the wild.

If you would kill 5 more Harambes on the spot to protect one human, then WHY DO WE HAVE ZOO's? why are we capturing and enslaving them if the motive is to kill them at the slightest provocation. Are your intentions any different from poachers?
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by lapazi(m): 10:46pm On Jun 01, 2016
Roland17:

Is Harambe the reason 880 humans perished in the Mediterranean? Did the 880 humans make conscious decisions to risk their lives by seeking greener pastures illegally?

The Gorilla was taken forcefully away from its natural habitat, enslaved against its wishes for the satisfaction of humans, the same Gorilla payed the ultimate price for the stupidity of a human whose 3 year old informed her he wanted to swim with the Gorilla and 5 mins found his way into the immediate habitat of the Gorilla.

look my friend just pray you never find yourself in a terrible situation where your options are either get out or die trying....!
People literally dont have what to eat, famine has ravage the entire region (somalia and libya in particular) they cant go down south into the continent(kenya and uganda) because they are been hunted and killed as terrorist...there only option is to the sea, to eastern europe. Where if they succeed they are sure of being granted asylum, and you really feel the life of one gorilla is worth more saving, or its death is worth more talking about and investigated than the life and death of hundreds of people?

what is this world turning into...?
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Roland17(m): 12:29am On Jun 02, 2016
lapazi:

look my friend just pray you never find yourself in a terrible situation where your options are either get out or die trying....!
People literally dont have what to eat, famine has ravage the entire region (somalia and libya in particular) they cant go down south into the continent(kenya and uganda) because they are been hunted and killed as terrorist...there only option is to the sea, to eastern europe. Where if they succeed they are sure of being granted asylum, and you really feel the life of one gorilla is worth more saving, or its death is worth more talking about and investigated than the life and death of hundreds of people?

what is this world turning into...?

Bro,

How does your emotional outburst justify the killing of a Gorilla?

Who is responsible for the hunger, famine, xenophobic killings? Are Gorilla's picking arms and killing the human race? or are Gorillas responsible for the despicable level of poverty, hunger, corruption and environmental degradation witnessed in our world today? are Gorillas responsible for the incredulous level of hate and spite witnessed amongst humans today?

Your guess is as good as mine, The perceived superior specie (human) is perpetuating this level of absurdity on its own.

Don't get me wrong, the life of that child is very important and i am happy it was saved, so was the life of the Gorilla and just because we belong to a particular specie does not justify why another should be sacrificed needlessly when it was very avoidable.

SHOOT TO IMMOBILIZE THE ANIMAL AS THE LAST RESORT, NOT THE ONLY RESORT.

I will end with a chorus from Fela Anikulapo Ransome Kuti's beast of no nation "animal dey go overseas, animal dey put tie, animal dey wear agbada, animal dey put suit"
Please enjoy the attached video and you can fast forward to 4:39 if you are not a fan of his acoustics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCpua4dvUXs
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Tenderly1(f): 9:06am On Jun 02, 2016
You all are not getting it, the right question to ask is "why is the barrier wide enough that a child can pass through" I believe making a good barrier would have prevented all these from happening.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Tenderly1(f): 9:10am On Jun 02, 2016
kingsilly:
For those asking bout tranquilizer, according to the defense team of the zoo, it takes around 5 min for the tranq to take effect and if shot the gorilla becomes restless till it kicks in, and that would be risky for the little boy
Yes "one" tranquilizer would take some time to set in, what about 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 a good number that can knock him down, they would have taken that risk.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by upko1: 9:30am On Jun 02, 2016
One dead gorilla is causing all this dust??

I agree the parents and Zoo staffs were careless about the situation, but at least they didn't have to pay for their carelessness with the life of a 4years old.

The gorilla is dead, the 4years old is alive. It's a forking WIN right or wrong doesn't matter anymore.

1 Like

Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by upko1: 9:36am On Jun 02, 2016
Tenderly1:

Yes "one" tranquilizer would take some time to set in, what about 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 a good number that can knock him down, they would have taken that risk.
What? 3,4,5,6 shots of tranquilizer and risk aggravating a known wild animal, that isn't predictable. Maybe learn the hard way at the expense of the life of a 4yrs old.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by kingsilly(m): 9:59am On Jun 02, 2016
Tenderly1:

It's a human live that was @ risk ma'am, not a Racoon, i think you view will change if its your kid that fell through.
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 11:12am On Jun 02, 2016
Roland17:

Before i start, let me state clearly that we (Humans) are all animals.. if you are going to define the actions of Harambe in that moment as animistic, thus should be sacrificed at the altar of mediocrity, then you should sit and analyze the actions and activities of the perceived superior specie and tell me who the real animals are?

How do you argue and place animal rights aside? that sentence alone defeats the logic behind your argument. The human specie is a superior specie, however, the history and evolution of the human specie as scientifically proven is impossible without the Gorilla and its family. Would it sound right if i say, lets remove the pain of death and discuss the killing and kidnap of people in the Niger delta or in Borno? does that sound logical to you?

First, sorry I had to delete some of your arguments. I am typing with a phone. But I will address all the points you've raised.

Of course, the life of an animal would one day be of equal value to that of Man, if not of more value. The fact that the world is against the death of an animal to save a human is prove enough. Some actually prefer the boy died. The fact that this issue is weighty enough to be discussed/argued is prove that we are moving towards that era.

I left the part of the parents because, I believe mistakes happen. As costly as they might be, everyone is bound to make a mistake. I have been opportuned to guard toddlers once for a considerable period of time. Keeping watch over kids is not as easy as it sounds, accidents happen. Kids pour hot water on themselves, swallow poisinous substances and what not, even under the watch of the most careful parents. No one expected a child to actually crawl in. Their's was just a case of good day gone wrong.

While I agree that the zoo wasn't prepared. I believe this may have been their first case. I insist they did the right thing, being that it was the only option left.

Since you insist that life of the kid should have been risked, while the zoo tried diverse methods of retrieving him. What if he was your kid? Would you scream, ''pls leave the gorilla let it roughly drag my kid about. My kid won't die, I know because I think gorrilas don't kill kids?''

A gorrila killed a child when he stepped into his enclave in Australia in 2008. I don't still get why you seem so sure that the child couldn't die. We are talking Gorrila here. You are not in his head.

I do not know enough about evolving from apes, so I do not subscribe to that school of thought. Still, even if we include Animal rights in the equation does it mean we should let animals kill us, maim us and then simply let them serve a jail term for such acts? Because we can't kill them since they have rights?
Re: Right or Wrong? Gorilla Shot Dead In Zoo When Boy Fell Into His Area. by Chuksemi(m): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2016
Roland17:

Bro,

How does your emotional outburst justify the killing of a Gorilla?

Who is responsible for the hunger, famine, xenophobic killings? Are Gorilla's picking arms and killing the human race? or are Gorillas responsible for the despicable level of poverty, hunger, corruption and environmental degradation witnessed in our world today? are Gorillas responsible for the incredulous level of hate and spite witnessed amongst humans today?

Your guess is as good as mine, The perceived superior specie (human) is perpetuating this level of absurdity on its own.

Don't get me wrong, the life of that child is very important and i am happy it was saved, so was the life of the Gorilla and just because we belong to a particular specie does not justify why another should be sacrificed needlessly when it was very avoidable.

SHOOT TO IMMOBILIZE THE ANIMAL AS THE LAST RESORT, NOT THE ONLY RESORT.

Please, for the sake of clarification. Are you saying no matter what the situation was, the gorilla shouldn't have been killed even if the child had to die.

Or, are you saying the zoo should have had other mechanisms of handling such a situation that would emerge a win-win and that even if they didn't have such tools in place, they should have just let the child die other than kill the gorrilla?

Are you perchance, equating humans to animals in terms of value because we are plagued with certain ills? Even in the wild animals hunt those of lesser power for food.

The zoo said they had no other option left, the tranquilizers were not an option, if the child's life was to be saved. Are you saying they should have risked the life of a child so they can save that of the gorrilla?

Are you indirectly implying that the gorilla had more value than the child?

First, let's agree the zoo was ill prepared. What do you think they should have done now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

British Authorities Have Gone Mad / The Unknown Adolf Hitler: Seven Ironic Facts / Tel Aviv Holds One Of Largest Gay Pride Parades In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.