Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! (2019 Views)

District 9 Video? / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by rottenguy: 2:00am On Aug 24, 2009
I dey watch this film come see say dem yab Nigeria.  Nija rep don fall sotay sotay sotay dem dey make fun of OBJ!!!

Despite the fact say those people wey dem show be 100% South Africans.

Here is the link of the upload. enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YddjWHw0c3o
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by bbngozi(f): 3:33am On Aug 24, 2009
ok i will definitely watch that movie, I'm not sure where the movie was going with that scene but i guess i will find out
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by aieromon(m): 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2009
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by shotster50(m): 12:40am On Aug 25, 2009
Talk about a new Image. After watching this movie, I came out of it thinking we would be better if we just changed our country's name to something else. They really stuck the knife into us.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by davidif: 1:49am On Aug 25, 2009
omo, them don kill us for the movie oooooooooooo grin cheiya. We seem to have a bad reputation everywhere in the world. My friends from Ghana and even Zimbabwe (of all places) says that we have a terrible reputation there. My oyinbo roomate tells me that he is tired of seeing e-mails flooding his boxes of some new offer to make money, heck, i even saw the word Niggeria in my house when i moved in.

By the way, the so called Nigerians don't seem to be speaking a Nigerian language. At least, i would have thought that they would be speaking Yoruba. On another note, we should be happy that it was not Borat that came to our country, look what he did to Kazakhstan.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by maedan(f): 4:01am On Aug 25, 2009
How embarrassing. I don't know whether to call this unfair or very risky. This could start a wave of Naijaphobia around the world. We have a bad rep already without some crappy movie making us look even worse. Or do they want to bring back all those South African xenophobic killing of Nigerians? So annoying.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by shotster50(m): 6:38am On Aug 25, 2009
I would have preferred if Borat clowned Nigeria. At the very least you already know he will take the piss. But this is on some serious levels.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by maedan(f): 11:14am On Aug 25, 2009
You're so right it's serious. Some people are calling it creativity, the movie makers just being funny as usual. Talking about Borat, he's wanted dead in Kazakstan; he dare not show his face anywhere near that country or he'll be lynched. No one likes to collectively be made a fool of. You can joke about Germans and Chinese and even Africans in movies - Americans are known to laugh even at themselves, they are their own worst critics. But this thing in District 9 is a big dent, a slap in the face. Worse of all, it wasn't even funny. So what was the point? undecided
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by davidif: 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
You're so right it's serious. Some people are calling it creativity, the movie makers just being funny as usual. Talking about Borat, he's wanted dead in Kazakstan; he dare not show his face anywhere near that country or he'll be lynched. No one likes to collectively be made a fool of. You can joke about Germans and Chinese and even Africans in movies - Americans are known to laugh even at themselves, they are their own worst critics. But this thing in District 9 is a big dent, a slap in the face. Worse of all, it wasn't even funny. So what was the point?

Look you are taking this thing waaaaaaaaaay too serious. Most people (non-nigerians) DON'T CARE. Chai, Nigerians are too ultra sensitive.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by maedan(f): 8:59pm On Aug 25, 2009
@ davidif

I'd really appreciate it if you, seriously, piss off. Who cares if non-Nigerians don't care? Why should they? The point is, I care. Quit trying to gag me and face your own identity crisis issues.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by mamagee6(f): 12:48am On Aug 26, 2009
Obasanjo is a waste of time.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by davidif: 2:06am On Aug 26, 2009
I'd really appreciate it if you, seriously, piss off. Who cares if non-Nigerians don't care? Why should they? The point is, I care. Quit trying to gag me and face your own identity crisis issues.

I don't have an identity crisis issue at all, infact i am very very very confident about myself. I am not insecure like most people are who get worked up over just another FICTIONAL movie. I don't get worked up over some hollywood movie because at the end of the day, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Its just a good old sci-fi (read again: SCIENCE FICTION) flick.

By the way, why can't we learn to make fun of each other for once instead of taking ourselves waaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. Just look in the mirror and ask yourself, why am i getting so worked up over FICTION. It is what it is, absolute fiction. Even if they didn't make fun of Nigerians, it still wouldn't matter as it would not change anything and like i said earlier, NOBODY CARES.
Re: District 9 Obasanjo Yabbing! by nearest(m): 9:40am On Aug 27, 2009
Doing a movie about nigeria isn't wrong, but what i hold against movie makers is that they don't seem to think about the effects it will have on the citizens of nigeria in their country. i think their government do sponsor these filmmakers, look at what happened in south africa, the government said they had intelligence reports that these things were going to happen but they didn't take pre-emptive measures to avoid it. the nigerian govt. should be doing somethings on the foreign ministry side, lets make these south africans know we are humans.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Plans To Fund Nollywood / Is There Any Cinema In Anambra State? / Gulder Ultimat Search Soundtrack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.