Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard (4483 Views)

7 Reasons Why Polytechnic Students Are Rated 2nd Class Student. / The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student / PHOTO: Young Girl Rejected By Catholic School For Refusing To Shave Her Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by ganaziah(f): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
Andrew Jones who is a student of Amite High school in Louisiana, Mexico, is reportedly the head of his class and a first class student but none of these attributes had been enough to allow the school authorities overlook something as simple as his beard.

Jones who had been meant to deliver the valedictory speech during the graduation has also been stripped of that honour over his violation of the school policy on facial hair.

Local news station, WWLTV , reports that the 4.0 student has sported his goatee for four years now, but is also amo0ng a group of 14 students asked to shave their beard upon their arrival at the school's graduation ceremony held on Wednesday, May 18, 2016.

Upon their arrival at the ceremony, they had been warned that if they refused to go into the bathroom to shave their beards, they would not be graduating with the rest of their class.

The reports reveal that Jones had been the only one who had refused on the grounds that the rule had never been enforced prior to the graduation ceremony.
Jones had held his ground even though he knew his high school graduation was a once in a life time event.

Speaking during an interview, Jones said:
"Eventually they took my gown.

"They told me they had to take my gown from me. It doesn't make sense, every day of school I went with it, even more, I did shave. I had like sides and everything, but I shaved that for graduation."

Expressing her displeasure over the situation, Jones' aunt, Sabrina Davis said:

"What was the real issue that he couldn't walk with his class?
"He was top of his class, you know, that moment was the most important moment of his life."

Mr Kolwe also revealed that the Principal for Amite High was unavailable to explain the reasons for allowing Jones sport a beard throughout the school year but not on graduation day.

http://pulse.ng/gist/in-mexico-first-class-student-barred-from-graduation-for-refusal-to-shave-beard-id5059174.html

2 Likes

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Florblu(f): 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2016
Where is the beard?Awon alainise

1 Like

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Fxwarrior: 6:46pm On Jun 01, 2016
Being found worthy in learning but not in character.
That dude is even sporting a tattoo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by bodee(m): 7:34pm On Jun 01, 2016
Fxwarrior:
hmmn, you must be a student or an alumni of OAU.

Albeit, beards or no beards, it doesn't matter, what actually matters is the guy's character and impacts on the society. Whatsoever is considered as a sane or decent dressing is simply a product of culture which is in itself even dynamic and usually imported.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Akious2k2(m): 8:01pm On Jun 01, 2016
Fxwarrior:
Mr. Go Oil & Gas Companies go c both old & young Expatriates wey get tatoo & beards... Funniest thing is dat even d blacks respect dem 4 what dey got "upstairs". All dsame, I don't encourage having tatoo sha

2 Likes

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Cutehector(m): 8:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
I come dey think say d bear bear go resemble Osama bin Laden own

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by prinsam30: 8:12pm On Jun 01, 2016
I think say na only naija dey Fantastically Corrupted

1 Like

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 01, 2016
Choi see fine guy. Where the beards nah?
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
How this kind take make 1st class sef? dada for head; tattoo for arm; goatee for chin; earrings for ear? Dude must have bribed his way through school! angry

Dayuuuum! Na high school the guy dey sef dey form bad badoo baddest. Nonsense! angry

1 Like

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
If it was in the US there'll be a lawsuit.

Its not right at all.

This is a student who has struggled academically to get the best grades.

It is a different thing if it had been in the school policy from the start.

You never cautioned him for four years, now you bring the rule out of the blues.

I can't even see anything wrong... Its their culture to keep hair.
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by ganaziah(f): 9:26pm On Jun 01, 2016
juhan:
Choi see fine guy. Where the beards nah?

No be only fine guy o, he con sabi book join.
No be small thing o grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by ganaziah(f): 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
If it was in the US there'll be a lawsuit.

Its not right at all.

This is a student who has struggled academically to get the best grades.

It is a different thing if it had been in the school policy from the start.

You never cautioned him for four years, now you bring the rule out of the blues.

I can't even see anything wrong... Its their culture to keep hair.

Louisiana is the United States bro
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 01, 2016
ganaziah:

No be small thing o grin
no be small thing at all o my dear God just bless some people.
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by iykekelvins(m): 10:01pm On Jun 01, 2016
LastMumu:
How this kind take make 1st class sef? dada for head; tattoo for arm; goatee for chin; earrings for ear? Dude must have bribed his way through school! Dayuuuum! angry
How does that affect him being brilliant and being able to have first class? undecided
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by GlorifiedTunde(m): 10:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
ganaziah:

Louisiana is the United States bro

I know. But got confused with the Mexico wink

Thanks
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by CaptainEColeJnr: 11:11pm On Jun 01, 2016
He's just nursing a little goatee.. what's wrong with that?

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Izyyblaze(f): 11:33pm On Jun 01, 2016
Nna onwekwara ife mmadu ama nfu bikonu. Goatee ko, goatee ni. Mtcheew, the school should say their problem with the guy already!!
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by pendusky(m): 11:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
Where is the beard?
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by RealAdewole(m): 12:09am On Jun 02, 2016
ganaziah:

No be small thing o grin
By his appearance can this guy make 1.1 for Nigeria?
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by brayan(m): 12:14am On Jun 02, 2016
Na beareds be that? they should tell them to also shave their privates

1 Like

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Gudiza(m): 12:32am On Jun 02, 2016
Mumu guy...who him beards hep??
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by ganaziah(f): 12:57am On Jun 02, 2016
RealAdewole:
By his appearance can this guy make 1.1 for Nigeria?

To be frank, I do judge people by appearance on how intelligent they are, that was before sha until my school days, you'll see guys that look like gangsters but their is booklicious.

You'll just be wondering like..... shocked
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by RealAdewole(m): 1:03am On Jun 02, 2016
ganaziah:

To be frank, I do judge people by appearance on how intelligent they are, that was before sha until my school days, you'll see guys that look like gangsters but their is booklicious.

You'll just be wondering like..... shocked
those that I've met ruined their career by nt giving a damn, it even cost some extra year
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by pwettiejay(f): 8:26am On Jun 02, 2016
How many beards be this? I was xpecting something very long and bushy angry they don't have a point jhur

1 Like

Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by overtlyderanged: 9:31am On Jun 02, 2016
Once again, societal limitations re-surface to cause undue chaos. Smh
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by lovat(m): 5:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
Izyyblaze:
Nna onwekwara ife mmadu ama nfu bikonu. Goatee ko, goatee ni. Mtcheew, the school should say their problem with the guy already!!
nwata akwukwo
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Fxwarrior: 6:14pm On Jun 02, 2016
bodee:
hmmn, you must be a student or an alumni of OAU.

Albeit, beards or no beards, it doesn't matter, what actually matters is the guy's character and impacts on the society. Whatsoever is considered as a sane or decent dressing is simply a product of culture which is in itself even dynamic and usually imported.

Insubordination is a punishable offence. Its a total disregard for the ethics, values, code of conduct and rules and regulations of an institution.
It was even written thus backing it up but the dude ignored it and towed the path of ignominy and had to be disciplined.
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by Izyyblaze(f): 9:46pm On Jun 02, 2016
lovat:
nwata akwukwo
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by lovat(m): 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2016
Izyyblaze:

yes undecided
Re: First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard by efficiencie(m): 10:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
Foolishness is no respecter of persons...or even race! Here is a guy who spots a beard, looks like an average ghetto rapper and even has a tattoo yet he is the BEST IN HIS CLASS! Making him cut his beard for a single event will not change who he has grown to be and neither will it have any impact on the proposed path of this bright mind...and for goodness sake, if spotting a beard is a crime why didn't the school authorities signify that in his registration form (or whatever document necessary) and why did they indulge him all these years only the dig out a dumb norm - of no beards on graduation day - from no where...indeed foolishness is no respecter of persons...

(1) (Reply)

10 Nigerian Snacks Every 80s/90s Child Can Relate To / Rivers State University Of Sci. & Technology (RSUST): Aspirants, Under/graduates / Riot In Delta State Polytechnic Ozoro, (DSPZ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.