Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

FG Scraps Post-ume - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Scraps Post-ume (74424 Views)

Breaking! FG Scraps Tuition Fees In Federal Universities. / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities / FG Scraps CBT For Post-UTME Screening, Pegs Fee At N2,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 03, 2016
I think the screening exercise permitted by the minister is that final screening, where student submit their Waec, jam , result then the school could juxtapose all the results systematically, before issueing admission on merits. Other quota systems will you remain in place.

I don't think this is a welcomed development because it will be too cumbersome for universities to carefully select the best jamb results, considering the fact that jamb is a useless body...

Jamb should be more organized in my opinion ....
It should be more coordinated I mean their accredited centers shouldn't be in cafes or any digital Institute... They should get branch offices with specially designed systems for their examination... That is how post utme is conducted in Universities....

If jamb could be as effective as post utme to schools then. Our government are heading towards the right direction.. But if not scrap jamb instead...

Those saying this will lead to man no man... I don't think so.. With or without post utme man no man has being there

3 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Elxandre(m): 9:10am On Jun 03, 2016
Snow30:

SAT is entirely different. Plus not all schools in America require SAT. Plus you can rewrite SAT up to 6 times a year

What is entirely different about SAT aside the format?

Don't they also require meeting a school specified cut off? (for schools that need SAT)

It's even written up to six times a year.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Awaja(m): 9:19am On Jun 03, 2016
What of HND screening test ? What's there position? abi maKe dem suo deh go?
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 03, 2016
Project400:
Interesting, but it makes little rational sense.

Ideally;

1. UTME/Post-UTME should be scrapped,

2. Each Tertiary Institution should set its own standard/entrance exams, and

3. A National body (reformed UTME) should ensure that all institutions comply with exam policies and regulations.

With this new policy from the FG, we can safely say that Nigeria is not ready for a transformed education sector. We are far from attaining a global status. No citizen of any nation would leave his country to a Cyber Cafe in Nigeria to write a common entrance examination, not even the nearby Benin Republic or Ghana.

Education is not hard, hence, the leaders should not make it difficult for the citizens. Nigerian students go to developed countries all the time with only WAEC/GCE results, they get trained, and come back as better citizens. In this age, you can sit behind your computer in Obalende, and get an admission letter from Canada, China, Cyprus, etc by simply emailing your Transcript. We don't have to travel from Lagos to Ibadan to write an entrance exam for Postgraduate studies.

Education in this new age can be likened to Tourism, let's drop the Abacus way of life.

Project400.
true the average black man mentality believes life should be hard

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by amyzon: 9:32am On Jun 03, 2016
pfadom:

Why is it so hard to think before making comments. What is clueless in this policy? To curb corruption, you have to block all avenues that aid the monster. What good thing had post-UTME offered prospective candidates to our tertiary institutions rather than milking the parents dry.

Please think.
U are the one who really need to think, do u know the extent of malpractice that goes on in jamb, impersonation, private center things. Do u know what leads to having students that can't spell their names. Nothing is credible about jamb. Jamb should be scrapped not pume
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by jemmiee(f): 9:44am On Jun 03, 2016
joshysmartie:
I think the screening exercise permitted by the minister is that final screening, where student submit their Waec, jam , result then the school could juxtapose all the results systematically, before issueing admission on merits. Other quota systems will you remain in place.

I don't think this is a welcomed development because it will be too cumbersome for universities to carefully select the best jamb results, considering the fact that jamb is a useless body...

Jamb should be more organized in my opinion ....
It should be more coordinated I mean their accredited centers shouldn't be in cafes or any digital Institute... They should get branch offices with specially designed systems for their examination... That is how post utme is conducted in Universities....

If jamb could be as effective as post utme to schools then. Our government are heading towards the right direction.. But if not scrap jamb instead...

Those saying this will lead to man no man... I don't think so.. With or without post utme man no man has being there
You're making a point. Sha, let's watch and see. Any one they adopt will still favor me. #fingersCrossed
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by solash: 9:46am On Jun 03, 2016
[quote author=WebSurfer post=46208507][b]Na after we don pass through this suffer them come remove am abi? yeye people...

Well, let our younger ones enjoy while it last..

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by jemmiee(f): 9:47am On Jun 03, 2016
solite3:
true the average black man mentality believes life should be hard
Very true. A typical black man believes that anything he didn't struggle to get isn't worth having. Ai still wonder why our unions will use a slogan like aluta continua, the struggle continues.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Esso95(m): 9:49am On Jun 03, 2016
Snow30:

Am not trying to be the person of bad bearing news, but you do know each university has carrying maximum capacity? Even do the minimum score is 180, they can only accept a certain amount of people.

Now how many people do you think got above 210, 220 or had your score or even 250? See.... Now the best thing Nigerian universities can do is to lay more emphasis on WAEC, cause if they don't how will they choose those that will be admitted? Unless they want to rely on connection and money?
You mean the WAEC that is bedevilled with malpractises too?
That'll be worst! And scary too!
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Oladim001(m): 9:50am On Jun 03, 2016
Can someone please tell me the difference between screening and post-jamb? Because on post jamb past questions it is screening exam that is written on the body of the book oo.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Theoflux(m): 10:07am On Jun 03, 2016
Better_#Goodnews. JJC on a highlevel speed of 180 or above. C groove cheesy
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Snow30: 10:08am On Jun 03, 2016
Elxandre:

What is entirely different about SAT aside the format?

Don't they also require meeting a school specified cut off? (for schools that need SAT)

It's even written up to six times a year.

Didn't you read my latter posts. Only lower ranked schools in America have minimum SAT requirements. Higher ranked schools especially the top ones use A Holistic approach. Everything matters, SAT, GPA, TRANSCRIPTS, RECCOMMENDATIONS, ESSAY, TESTIMONIAL, CLASS RANK, SCHOOL PROFILE, and so on. Some people with perfect scores in SAT still get rejected by top schools and people with low scores, as low as 1900 still get accepted to Harvard and University of Chicago. So Jamb and SAT are different in the sense that America sees SAT different from how Nigerians see JAMB.

Americans try not to quantify someone's individuality with a 4 hours test , they will rather use your transcript and GPA and WAEC, which shows your achievements over 4 years.

That's why they call one country developed and the other "developing"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Snow30: 10:18am On Jun 03, 2016
Esso95:

You mean the WAEC that is bedevilled with malpractises too?
That'll be worst! And scary too!

Jamb has more errors and more technical problems and more malpractices than WAEC/GCE/NECO. Waec is way ahead of Jamb considering its west African exam. Which one do you prefer, a 3 hours test that everyone has different questions which means yours can be harder than others. That you will use a computer to do the exam that can off at any time, and even though its computer based your result still comes out days after, with errors to.

Or an exam written in paper and pen, everyone is tested with the same questions, which means its more standardised. You know that if you read wella you can get at least a C. Your exam will go smoothly no interruption unless your invigilator sends you out for misconduct.

You tell me? Which do you want to be based on? Unless you didn't take your WAEC seriously.

And don't get me wrong, am not hating on Jamb because i failed. I got a 241/400, but that is still to low, because many people got above that! I'm just being a realist. Jamb and Post Jamb are bleeped .
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Snow30: 10:22am On Jun 03, 2016
amyzon:

U are the one who really need to think, do u know the extent of malpractice that goes on in jamb, impersonation, private center things. Do u know what leads to having students that can't spell their names. Nothing is credible about jamb. Jamb should be scrapped not pume

Both should be scrapped
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by davbravo(m): 10:22am On Jun 03, 2016
menix:
Thank God ooo!!!, with my 181 i will get admitted into UNILAG to study medicine...
180 is the minimum cut off, that doesn't mean d sch wont increase their cut off for d respective courses

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by rezimero: 11:04am On Jun 03, 2016
Back to the regime of :
1. Buying and selling of JAMB results involving parents, prospective candidates and JAMB officials.
2. Return of heightened cultism on campuses that have been relieved of idle and unqualified students in recent past through post-jamb tests e.g. UNIBEN, UI, UNILAG, OAU, Babcock, Redeemer, Ajayi Crowther etc.
3. General corruption in the placement process of intending students identified with Nigerian bureaucracy.
This is one policy somersault that will backfire in no time and set our tertiary education back beyond comprehension with devastating effects and irreparable damage. IT WILL DEFINITELY SERVE NO USEFUL PURPOSE EXCEPT FINANCIAL BENEFITS TO CORRUPT OFFICIALS.
The ultimate solution is raising qualification requirement for Bachelor degree to GCE 'A' LEVELS. University education is not for all Tom , Dick and Harry as many want to believe in Nigeria nor a status symbol. It is for qualified students who have the aptitude to achieve and display rare attitude to excel in their studies.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Geofavor(m): 11:08am On Jun 03, 2016
jemmiee:
You're making a point. Sha, let's watch and see. Any one they adopt will still favor me. #fingersCrossed
hmm. Seems you blast jamb. Your school and course?
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Geofavor(m): 11:16am On Jun 03, 2016
Snow30:

Jamb has more errors and more technical problems and more malpractices than WAEC/GCE/NECO. Waec is way ahead of Jamb considering its west African exam. Which one do you prefer, a 3 hours test that everyone has different questions which means yours can be harder than others. That you will use a computer to do the exam that can off at any time, and even though its computer based your result still comes out days after, with errors to.

Or an exam written in paper and pen, everyone is tested with the same questions, which means its more standardised. You know that if you read wella you can get at least a C. Your exam will go smoothly no interruption unless your invigilator sends you out for misconduct.

You tell me? Which do you want to be based on? Unless you didn't take your WAEC seriously.

And don't get me wrong, am not hating on Jamb because i failed. I got a 241/400, but that is still to low, because many people got above that! I'm just being a realist. Jamb and Post Jamb are bleeped .
Wrong! Only about 10% of students who sit for waec in Nigeria each year write the exam without one malpractice or the other. Waec/gce/neco are the worst exams we have in this country. Jamb have upgraded and improved their exam with the commencement of the CBT. We now have little to no malpractice in jamb. The problem now is that some centers are not well equiped with efficient systems and this affects students performance.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by joe4christ(m): 11:27am On Jun 03, 2016
bettercreature:
This will just make admission more difficult for a common man
With post UTME,they have no choice they must give you admission if you beat the cut off mark
But now it will boil down to connection,i mean you have to bribe before you get admission

First time I'm seeing someone share my view on this development. One cannot just start to imagine the chaos this will cost in 2yrs time. They will still revisit this policy cos it won't last. Just the plain truth, and it won't speak well of the Government and it's inconsistences
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Oluwahelpme(m): 11:36am On Jun 03, 2016
This is what u get when u are been ruled by bad govt. Jamb is the main problem of education sector in nigeria. The candidates who score high marks in Jamb are not the best candidates, hence dull students are been pushed to universities thereby producing dull graduates. And here we are. Our graduates are not employable. This education minister lacks wisdom. He does not know that jamb is the problem of education in this country, not post utme. Jamb should be scraped.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Snow30: 12:19pm On Jun 03, 2016
Geofavor:
Wrong! Only about 10% of students who sit for waec in Nigeria each year write the exam without one malpractice or the other. Waec/gce/neco are the worst exams we have in this country. Jamb have upgraded and improved their exam with the commencement of the CBT. We now have little to no malpractice in jamb. The problem now is that some centers are not well equiped with efficient systems and this affects students performance.

That's what you think? Where did you get the statistics from tho? How come there are still special centres till date. The invigilators give them all the questions and answers stored in the server for that day, for people to practice.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Geofavor(m): 12:33pm On Jun 03, 2016
Snow30:

That's what you think? Where did you get the statistics from tho? How come there are still special centres till date. The invigilators give them all the questions and answers stored in the server for that day, for people to practice.
Stop asserting baseless claims. There are no jamb special centers! The questions are released directly from Jamb's online software that day, at the stipulated time. Even the invigilators don't have access to questions before the exam time.

If you complained about inefficient systems, I might agree with your plight. But malpractice? Naah!

On the other hand, we have an obscene amount of waec special centers. The question papers are given out, before or immediately the exam starts, to a guru to solve. He solves all the questions quick and photocopies them. Then they distribute the solutions to the students.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by damsco92: 12:43pm On Jun 03, 2016
bettercreature:
This will just make admission more difficult for a common man
With post UTME,they have no choice they must give you admission if you beat the cut off mark
But now it will boil down to connection,i mean you have to bribe before you get admission
...i beat a school cut-off mark even far beyond still I wasn't offered admission...so tell me somtin else
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by LemonBoy1: 1:08pm On Jun 03, 2016
ishowdotgmail:

I should ask u to do so. Can't you read the post, it stated that some unis will go above this i.e 180. Naming UI, OAU nd Unilag as examples. Nawa oooo undecided

Oga, you mean you understood it but only chose to interpret from a tribal point of view because he gave some random examples? Well done oh.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Goldenokey(m): 1:16pm On Jun 03, 2016
Got the news this morning, but is this really gonna work?
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by justame(m): 1:38pm On Jun 03, 2016
But what about the money I paid to register and my score comon guys this is awkward. What do you think?
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by ejomsuccess(m): 2:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
With these new policy, it means I will surely be admitted. Anyways, whether post utme is scrap or not, I will be admitted into Unilag this year by the grace of God
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by abbyk(m): 3:31pm On Jun 03, 2016
indeed a far better decision ..... cos having gone through tertiary institution, getting a job is another huddle.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by FuckTheM0ds(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2016
ishowdotgmail:
Why exempting UI, OAU nd Unilag......

Well the answer is simple; 3 best institutions in nigeria

Location; all in SOUTH WEST nigeria tongue
South 'Waste' Zone. A.k.a universities of the brown roof republic
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by kingposh(m): 5:58pm On Jun 03, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
@all, there are rules guiding admission into any institutions, there's a % of discipline to be admitted, quota system also applies to fg schools, so just having high score is not enough if your score is too low compared to others of the same discipline or same state with yours, also the jamb registrar was only citing reference of schools he knows that takes above 180, the schools are not classified as A list or C list, however, if you choose a school with high competition, then know you really need to work hard.
if a school sets its cutoff at 180, and those that choose law are about 500 with school having 200capacity, don't jump up for joy because it's not reasonable for you to expect the school to admit you if there are about 300candidates scoring 230 and above seeking admission for the same discipline.
there are other ways to weed out students without post utme, if you can't cope with rigours of academic activities, then you will be sent home, schools adopt it mostly for the revenue generation and not for academic prowess.
u are correct

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Snow30: 7:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
Geofavor:
Stop asserting baseless claims. There are no jamb special centers! The questions are released directly from Jamb's online software that day, at the stipulated time. Even the invigilators don't have access to questions before the exam time.

If you complained about inefficient systems, I might agree with your plight. But malpractice? Naah!

On the other hand, we have an obscene amount of waec special centers. The question papers are given out, before or immediately the exam starts, to a guru to solve. He solves all the questions quick and photocopies them. Then they distribute the solutions to the students.

Whether there are waec special centres, it shouldn't concern you. If you prepare you will pass. But for jamb i know of really smart guys, top class guys that will over prepare for jamb but still get 190, 210. And forgive me, dumber guys getting 270, 250, 280.

It shows that jamb doesn't measure a persons real academic abilities

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

WAEC 2020: Meet Ogwubie Chikemzi Praise Who Made Parallel A's In Her WAEC Result / UNIBEN Student Makes A Portrait Of The VC With 6000 Bottle Covers (Photo) / South African Schoolgirls Smoking In School. See Reactions (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.