Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,129 members, 7,807,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. (9329 Views)

List Of States Owing Salaries Of 6 Months And Above? Why Single Out Osun State? / Photo Of Atiku Abubakar In 1991 When He Contested For Governorship Election / 2 Days Blackout, For 6 States, Critical Transmission Line To Be Complet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 8:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
An idea just occurred to me, and I need the opinions of Nigerian Constitutional Lawyers, as well as the general public. After examining the constitution, I have not found it anywhere stated that the same person cannot run for Governorship of several states.

Since Nigerians have always talked about a revolution; Here is one for you, Many of you have clearly stated being happy with Governor Fashola and non-Lagosians have wished he could be their Governor. Why not? And what stops this from happening? This would also be a test of the strength of Nigerian constitution. Indigenes of various states should organize their people, and place Governor Fashola on their state ballot.

I am laughing very hard while typing this. But the question is why not? If we all believe that elections are being rigged heavily in Nigeria, we should test our constitution and laws. Putting fashola on various Gubernatorial ballots of various states should send a message. He can become administrator of all the states without running for presidency. Do you like this idea? Some may call it insane, but does our constitution prevent it?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by nex(m): 8:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
It is insane. Read the constitution properly.

No jokes.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by Ade0001(m): 8:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
one of the conditions is that he must have resided in the state for a while (i think up to 5yrs) before the election.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by sjeezy8: 8:52pm On Aug 24, 2009
everyone should vote him for president
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by vigasimple(m): 8:53pm On Aug 24, 2009
It is difficult pollitically but I don't think it is disallowed constitutionally.

Then Nigeria is NOT like the USA when you can write people's name on the ballot. There is no room for independent candidates under the present constitution.

And PDP will go to court to make sure FASHOLA is disqualified in all those states so that they can get their hands on the prize assets which is LAGOS STATE.

What FASHOLA can do between Now and next years is to invite some serious aspirant in any states concern to SHADOW him and see how he governs and make decisons which made people to applaud him, so is like having disciples and protegees. It is doable and much more feasbile.

The only question will be whether such 'trainees' if they get elected do what they have been trained?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by MrCrackles(m): 8:59pm On Aug 24, 2009
vigasimple:

The only question will be whether such 'trainees' if they get elected do what they have been trained?
No gaurantees. . .
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by Omowunmimi(f): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
larez:

Since Nigerians have always talked about a revolution; Here is one for you, Many of you have clearly stated being happy with Governor Fashola and non-Lagosians have wished he could be their Governor.

and who are the many ? how did he touch the lives of the masses ~?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by ajadrage: 10:00pm On Aug 24, 2009
@poster, I got nothing to say, but I gots to do the grin
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 10:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
I'm really not out to ruffle feathers or create issues. Rather this is about promoting dialogue. Our current constitution is somewhat lacking. We owe it to ourselves to seek resolutions to the myriads of issues plaguing us. To better our constitution, we need to test it. It has to withstand scrutiny. Our legislators still find it difficult to pass a freedom of information act which enables every Nigerian taxpayer a right to know how his tax funds are being spent.

A large percentage of Nigerians from various webpolls indicate that they are unimpressed with Maurice Iwu leading INEC. Yet our leaders fail to yield to us. Causing constitutional scrutiny, and shaking the foundations that they rest comfortably on could be our last resort and a form of protest in regards to our welfare. Making it difficult to continue with the status quo may spur corrective action.

This subject is to raise awareness and promote dialogue. The other alternative such as what MEND has embarked on creates further suffering of the poor. It may make more of an impact to begin to tackle issues cerebrally, which will notify our politicians of an aware constituent. With knowledge comes awareness, and with an educated population, dictators feel the threat and have no choice but to concede.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by davidif: 1:28am On Aug 25, 2009
An idea just occurred to me, and I need the opinions of Nigerian Constitutional Lawyers, as well as the general public. After examining the constitution, I have not found it anywhere stated that the same person cannot run for Governorship of several states.

Wow, you have the mind of a lawyer for discovering that loophole.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 10:29am On Aug 25, 2009
;d
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by adekampe: 10:54am On Aug 25, 2009
Nigerians can be very stupid and foolish atimes. . .The man fashola is trying to get his feet in lagos and make a difference and here we have this idiot who is trying to overwhelm him.In the event he fails in this six state task,this idiot will be the first to come and and condemn him.

@ Poster:

You are the biggest fool on nairaland.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 11:17am On Aug 25, 2009
adekampe:

Nigerians can be very stupid and foolish atimes. . .The man fashola is trying to get his feet in lagos and make a difference and here we have this idiot who is trying to overwhelm him.In the event he fails in this six state task,this idiot will be the first to come and and condemn him.

@ Poster:

I guess these are the kind of names that you call your Father and Mother daily at home. You are a poster child for why an internet connected PC might be too much of a tool in the hands of a retard.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by adekampe: 11:53am On Aug 25, 2009
I now see why your hinking is backward instead of forward.Youre erratic and entirely 1978.Must i really be browsing from 'an internet connected PC'?can i not be on a blackberry,smartphone or even wireless on my laptop?

Allow fashola concentrate on the task at hand.there's still so much to be done.roads need fixing,badagry expansion is underway,there's sill so much to do in education.fourth mainland bridge still pending,traffic congestions everywhere.lekki-epe expansion underway

you people should leave him alone and stop disturbing with your misguiding suggestions and statements
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by sjeezy8: 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2009
adekampe:

I now see why your hinking is backward instead of forward.Youre erratic and entirely 1978.Must i really be browsing from 'an internet connected PC'?can i not be on a blackberry,smartphone or even wireless on my laptop?

Allow fashola concentrate on the task at hand.there's still so much to be done.roads need fixing,badagry expansion is underway,there's sill so much to do in education.fourth mainland bridge still pending,traffic congestions everywhere.lekki-epe expansion underway

you people should leave him alone and stop disturbing with your misguiding suggestions and statements

fourth mainland bridge is a terrible idea, he should just deal with mainland congestion 4 BRIDGES all going the same way is crazy
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by jaybee3(m): 12:05pm On Aug 25, 2009
and what states do you have in mind if i may ask?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by adekampe: 12:10pm On Aug 25, 2009
@ Sjeezy8:

God bless you.What we should be doing is advising this man fashola on how he can better deliver on the task at hand rather than making such silly statements as the poster has done.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 12:12pm On Aug 25, 2009
jay bee:

and what states do you have in mind if i may ask?

As stated in the original post, this is merely an idea. The number of states was not a consideration but a random attention getting number. I can see some erratic responses from people who are incapable of conceptual thinking. An idea is a seed. Contributions may help carve it into a beautiful tree.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2009
sjeezy8:

fourth mainland bridge is a terrible idea, he should just deal with mainland congestion 4 BRIDGES all going the same way is crazy

The bridge that you refer to as fourth mainland bridge is infact an excellent idea, and should have been done like 10 years ago. Have you seen the Lekki Masterplan? This bridge infact connects the Lekki-Ajah corridor to the Ikorodu-Sagamu axis. My only problem with it is the termination point. Even though it branches into Ikorodu, it should continue further and connect to the Ikorodu-Sagamu expressway at the Itoikin road junction. Trust me on this, my background is in Planning/design with lots of experience in the United States.

Even though Lagos State claims overpasses and ramps are expensive to build, I will however advice that they should be done regardless. Using roundabouts as substitutes will be regretted in the future. If the roundabouts are being considered as interim options, then the government should make sure that they acquire the properties that will be needed for the overpasses and ramps in the near future. This near future may come much sooner than expected. The cost of the real estate at that point will be ridiculous.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by 1luvkipsus: 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2009
This threat must have come from an insane mind.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by bilms(m): 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2009
NIGERIAN CAN NEVER GROW UNTILL WE CHANGE OUR WAYS

what has fashola done to deserve this,

is putting the masses in more mess any Good to the public?

IS FASHOLA DIFFeRENET FROM THOSE PEOPLE SELLING ON D ROAD SIDE? ACCORDING TO THE LAW NO,

SO Y WILL HE BE PUNISHING THEM IN D NAME OF HELPIN,

lets assume fashola's mother is one of those mothers selling on d road and a governor came to send them away without providing any alternative option dat can at least sustain them a little, will he became the Governor today when they cant send him to school anymore?,

and some one is here giving him credit as in he has done any good to the masses
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 1:02pm On Aug 25, 2009
bilms:

NIGERIAN CAN NEVER GROW UNTILL WE CHANGE OUR WAYS

what has fashola done to deserve this,

is putting the masses in more mess any Good to the public?

IS FASHOLA DIFFeRENET FROM THOSE PEOPLE SELLING ON D ROAD SIDE? ACCORDING TO THE LAW NO,

SO Y WILL HE BE PUNISHING THEM IN D NAME OF HELPIN,

lets assume fashola's mother is one of those mothers selling on d road and a governor came to send them away without providing any alternative option dat can at least sustain them a little, will he became the Governor today when they cant send him to school anymore?,

and some one is here giving him credit as in he has done any good to the masses

I'm not sure what you mean, Can you elaborate?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 1:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
Now I get you. My opinion is that Fashola has begun to establish some form of sanity and lawfulness. Lagos had become a dump for the rest of Nigeria and for indigenes, we found this very unacceptable. How many people will be proud of their state being known worldwide as dirty and chaotic? Fashola deserves credit for taking on issues that many thought were impossible. Better yet, being someone who grew up in Lagos before the mass exodus that left it a mess, he could appreciate back during Gowon's days when we could take blankets to the water front at Marina, spread them out, and have picnics into late hours of the night while watching the beautiful lights of ships sailing into the habour. We never had to worry about crime or people excreting along the shore of the Marina.

The one thing that I still hold against Murtala Muhammed was how he imported almajiris in trailers from the North and dumped them at Oyingbo. They soon migrated all over Lagos and Marina, excreting anywhere that they could. Trust me when I say Lagos was like Abuja then, and you could feel comfortable picking up candy that you dropped on the street, wiping it off and eating it. Remember that the Queen of England visited Lagos back then during Gowon's leadership. Try to find pictures of that event. Tinubu square used to have fountains running especially during the weekends. Kids used to play in these fountains, and we usually had Carnival caravans coming from all over the world to visit Lagos. I can remember things like a British Christian Ship named MVP Logos, that came to Lagos. It was open to the public, and people went there to tour and buy Christian books.

Lagos also had many attractions and forms of recreation including parks, Various amusement rides and shows, we had places with bumper cars and a lot more. Power was constant and noone had to worry about it. Takwa Bay was prettier than Florida then and visiting there was like a trip to Hawaii complete with pristine blue clear glassy waters and rental huts with well stocked bars. This is the Lagos that I grew up in. Murtala Muhammed changed it into the dirty place that we recently knew it as. It was a strong tourist attraction and many came from all over the world to visit it.

How should people like me feel looking at how Lagos has degressed? I bet Fashola feels the same way. Visit Abuja and you'd feel like you are in Miami even without the ocean next to it. Lagosians who grew up and knew Lagos from what it was owe it to their future generations to bring it back to it's times of prominence. We have been badly diluted with people who have no clue of how to live in civilization. With Surulere and Apapa basically gone to the docks, we are left with the Lekki-Ajah and Badagry areas to bring back the livestyles that was once Lagos. What do today's kids have for recreation apart from getting drunk and prostitution? Lagos used to be a place full og dignified people. I support Fashola 100% for attempting to bring back the rightful progressive nature of Lagos state.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by vikiviko(m): 1:25pm On Aug 25, 2009
On the topic of discussion whether the constitution allows an Individual to contest for an office in more than one state, i doubt the practicability but would have been a dynamic idea and litmus test to elect a credible person.

As for Fashola heard he's performing .My worry is the Lekki  Axis , the traffic is unbearable,not to forget  obalende bus stop its an eyesore.

I hope when i see Lagos again it must have been transformed to a better place.

eko o ni baje
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by Afam(m): 1:36pm On Aug 25, 2009
adekampe:

@ Poster:

Exactly.

As long as extremely ridiculous and silly posts are allowed on this forum the quality of discussion will continue to go down.

How on earth would a sane mind come up with the nonsense written above?
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by sjeezy8: 1:42pm On Aug 25, 2009
adekampe:

@ Sjeezy8:

God bless you.What we should be doing is advising this man fashola on how he can better deliver on the task at hand rather than making such silly statements as the poster has done.

lol i think d poster was just kidding lol

larez:

The bridge that you refer to as fourth mainland bridge is infact an excellent idea, and should have been done like 10 years ago. Have you seen the Lekki Masterplan? This bridge infact connects the Lekki-Ajah corridor to the Ikorodu-Sagamu axis. My only problem with it is the termination point. Even though it branches into Ikorodu, it should continue further and connect to the Ikorodu-Sagamu expressway at the Itoikin road junction. Trust me on this, my background is in Planning/design with lots of experience in the United States.

Even though Lagos State claims overpasses and ramps are expensive to build, I will however advice that they should be done regardless. Using roundabouts as substitutes will be regretted in the future. If the roundabouts are being considered as interim options, then the government should make sure that they acquire the properties that will be needed for the overpasses and ramps in the near future. This near future may come much sooner than expected. The cost of the real estate at that point will be ridiculous.

The bridge is a good idea if it MUST be done, but for now I think Fashola needs to focus on congestion in mainland. I've seen the lekki master plan and i feel the 4mainland bridge  is mainly about the future booming real estate in Ikorodu. Lagosian middle and upper class are buying land in Ikorodu but it looks like their neglecting mainland AGAIN.

The bridge to me is like going around the REAL problem MAINLAND, but then again with no help from federal government limited things can only be done.

But since these developments are already in action they might as well extend it  to the Ikorodu-Sagamu expressway.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by sjeezy8: 1:49pm On Aug 25, 2009
larez:

Now I get you. My opinion is that Fashola has begun to establish some form of sanity and lawfulness. Lagos had become a dump for the rest of Nigeria and for indigenes, we found this very unacceptable. How many people will be proud of their state being known worldwide as dirty and chaotic? Fashola deserves credit for taking on issues that many thought were impossible. Better yet, being someone who grew up in Lagos before the mass exodus that left it a mess, he could appreciate back during Gowon's days when we could take blankets to the water front at Marina, spread them out, and have picnics into late hours of the night while watching the beautiful lights of ships sailing into the habour. We never had to worry about crime or people excreting along the shore of the Marina.

The one thing that I still hold against Murtala Muhammed was how he imported almajiris in trailers from the North and dumped them at Oyingbo. They soon migrated all over Lagos and Marina, excreting anywhere that they could. Trust me when I say Lagos was like Abuja then, and you could feel comfortable picking up candy that you dropped on the street, wiping it off and eating it. Remember that the Queen of England visited Lagos back then during Gowon's leadership. Try to find pictures of that event. Tinubu square used to have fountains running especially during the weekends. Kids used to play in these fountains, and we usually had Carnival caravans coming from all over the world to visit Lagos. I can remember things like a British Christian Ship named MVP Logos, that came to Lagos. It was open to the public, and people went there to tour and buy Christian books.

Lagos also had many attractions and forms of recreation including parks, Various amusement rides and shows, we had places with bumper cars and a lot more. Power was constant and noone had to worry about it. Takwa Bay was prettier than Florida then and visiting there was like a trip to Hawaii complete with pristine blue clear glassy waters and rental huts with well stocked bars. This is the Lagos that I grew up in. Murtala Muhammed changed it into the dirty place that we recently knew it as. It was a strong tourist attraction and many came from all over the world to visit it.

How should people like me feel looking at how Lagos has degressed? I bet Fashola feels the same way. Visit Abuja and you'd feel like you are in Miami even without the ocean next to it. Lagosians who grew up and knew Lagos from what it was owe it to their future generations to bring it back to it's times of prominence. We have been badly diluted with people who have no clue of how to live in civilization. With Surulere and Apapa basically gone to the docks, we are left with the Lekki-Ajah and Badagry areas to bring back the livestyles that was once Lagos. What do today's kids have for recreation apart from getting drunk and prostitution? Lagos used to be a place full og dignified people. I support Fashola 100% for attempting to bring back the rightful progressive nature of Lagos state.

Very true surulere and apapa weren't always like that. My parents always recall the times when they grew up before all the migrants came and congested EKO. The eko i know outside of my area and off the island is hell.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by Bialegend(m): 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
sjeezy8:

Why should everyone vote him for president? Is he from the South East or South South? Last time i checked, he is a Yoruba.
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by Afaukwu: 3:01pm On Aug 25, 2009

Nada. He lost it by deporting fellow Nigerians. I thought you guys say he is not interested in the presidency and that you people dont care if he does not rule? Hypocrits of the first order
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 3:09pm On Aug 25, 2009
vikiviko:

On the topic of discussion whether the constitution allows an Individual to contest for an office in more than one state, i doubt the practicability but would have been a dynamic idea and litmus test to elect a credible person.

As for Fashola heard he's performing .My worry is the Lekki  Axis , the traffic is unbearable,not to forget  obalende bus stop its an eyesore.

I hope when i see Lagos again it must have been transformed to a better place.

eko o ni baje

O baje ti grin
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 3:17pm On Aug 25, 2009
And here comes the tribalists who find nothing good about Nigeria but migrate away from their hometowns to degrade places of civilization. Y'all can hate all you want, but Lagosians are becoming galvanized on a single purpose of redeeming what they knew and lived. This will be a Legacy to their future generations.

Bushman come Lagos, learn Yoruba and begin think sey him don land. hatas should migrate back home. Maybe we should add a filter to threads like this limiting it to bonafide Lagosians

I am truly sick and tired of these folks coming to lagos to mess it up while still having nothing good to say about it. If Lagosians went to their villages and made this kind of noise, they will instantly become kidnap victims with a ransome of N10m on their heads. why does the Nigerian atmosphere allow so much jealousy and bad belle? Wow!!

LAGOS IS NOLONGER THE FEDERAL CAPITAL, ALLOW US TO DEVELOP AND BUILD UP OUR HOMELAND

Eko o ni baje OOOOooooooooo!!!!
Re: Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. by larez(m): 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2009
Internet hoodlums moving together in packs seeking their prey. Harassing, desecrating, hating and pillaging. Worse yet, deleting response posts that put them back in line. Such cowards with yellow bellies. Seun better get control back of his creation before these touts cause massive migration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jonathan Removes National Security Adviser Sarki Mukhtar With Immediate Effect. / Traditional Ruler, Others Killed In Zamfara / Public Power Supply Continues To Improve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.