Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,017 members, 7,806,972 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) (59868 Views)

Young Ladies Almost Got Unclad In The Name Of Culture In Rivers State / Why Do People Always Have Bad Notions About The Mbaise People? / Advice To All Ladies (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by pweetychyka(f): 8:29pm On Jun 04, 2016
Fedayeen02:
so you have lost that love letter angry who will write another one for me shocked

Jux negodu

Hehehehehehehe

Wats ur work nau? U 'll write anoda #biggrin
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by londoner: 8:30pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Thanks for ur comprehensive explanation!

Its very well appreciated n Noted

No worries, my mum told me about this tradition a few years ago. I found it quite interesting. I can understand given what a woman marrying a women signifies to many of us but they just created an acceptable tradition to them in response to matters outside of their control. The fact that no one is looked down upon or rejected because of it is actually quite mature of the people I think. The relationship is not sexual between the women but more of a contractual understanding.

Now there are some other so called traditions that need to be done away with pronto though.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 8:35pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Hehehehehehehe

I'm not Obj the letter writer but i will write another cos of your low cut

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by pweetychyka(f): 8:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
londoner:

No worries, my mum told me about this tradition a few years ago. I found it quite interesting. I can understand given what a woman marrying a women signifies to many of us but they just created an acceptable tradition to them in response to matters outside of their control. The fact that no one is looked down upon or rejected because of it is actually quite mature of the people I think. The relationship is not sexual between the women but more of a contractual understanding.

Now there are some other so called traditions that need to be done away with pronto though.

Nice one!

Your mum has really done a good job!
Thanks to her

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by londoner: 8:45pm On Jun 04, 2016
age2richee:
First to comment, lol it's very weird and interesting. Why not just adopt a child?

True, I agree that adoption as well as female inheritance needs to be accepted much more. However, can I ask you something?

Do you generally feel that a woman should not have a surrogate to carry a child who will belong to her and her husband? Why do people go through fertility treatment and artificial insemination at all right?

Why don't they ALL simply adopt? That option is open to all women and men worldwide but they still don't simply go down that route.

Because we can't have our cake and eat it nuances are created. If we are going to continue to legitimise a man and woman through offspring and have inheritance be the sole affairs of the male members of the family then traditions like these are practiced and safeguarded until we think a little differently in these matters. Life happens in the midst of all the rules we seem to hold dear, so after all the hard work as a man, brother, husband and father can enrich others that did not lift a finger as if you did it all for their benefit. Even when you had a son but he died before you. This burden visits every generation with this same responsibility to have a male child, because if a man's son inherits he also needs to have a done to inherit from him......and so it goes on and on especially as tradition supercedes the concept a legal will.

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by focus7: 9:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
I know the barbaric tradition could only come from the SE region.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by londoner: 9:06pm On Jun 04, 2016
focus7:
I know the barbaric tradition could only come from the SE region.

Would you mind explaining what is barbaric about it though?

3 Likes

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by londoner: 9:10pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Nice one!

Your mum has really done a good job!
Thanks to her

Awww thanks

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Bimpe29: 9:15pm On Jun 04, 2016
Fedayeen02:
tell me plz
Apparently, it is uncivilized and primitive behaviour.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Bimpe29: 9:17pm On Jun 04, 2016
Kobicove:

How is it barbaric?

Do you even know the meaning of the word "Barbaric"? undecided
Apparently, it is uncivilized and primitive behaviour
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by glossy6(f): 9:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
ceemere:
Trash trash trash, atleast not in my own part of mbaise. Infact its not done anywhere in Mbaise. Mvmv OP just dey compile script for her new yeye movie. Mtchewww grin grin
You don't know because you are not conversant with your culture. it is an acceptable norm all over Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 9:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Hehehehehehehe

can we chat offline?
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 9:45pm On Jun 04, 2016
Bimpe29:

barbarism is when someone hacks a person to death in the name of religion. Continue in your muslim faith

2 Likes

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by pweetychyka(f): 9:49pm On Jun 04, 2016
Fedayeen02:
can we chat offline?
Its okay!
Hope I 've not committed any offence?
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 9:50pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Its okay!

grin grin No

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 9:51pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Its okay!

grin grin which offense kwa

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Edum13656: 9:53pm On Jun 04, 2016
It happens in most places including mine especially in olden days. everybody is now claiming...
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 9:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Its okay!

my internet is messing up
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
Big fool. Male LovePeddler! that's what you are. Oprah slept with countless men??

The tomato epidemic must've rot your brain. Lower human!
Festivalofholi:
Yeah, after she has slept with countless men ba? Ur a sex object, deal with it.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 04, 2016
Millerz:
Big fool. Male LovePeddler! that's what you are. Oprah slept with countless men??

The tomato epidemic must've rot your brain. Lower human!
Yeah, dats wot u all women r meant for. Objects we can dump our spe.rm on, nothing else.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Fedayeen02: 10:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
pweetychyka:

Hehehehehehehe

add me 7fb
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by londoner: 10:05pm On Jun 04, 2016
Well, not everyone is going to understand or agree with the concept, but that's fine it's not their practice which is fine but the pressure to have a male child and heir is something that virtually all Nigerian tribes have. Others find their own way to 'address' the issue when it presents itself. It could be getting another woman pregnant behind the wife's back, getting a second wife which the first accepts or just pressuring the first wife out of the narrative and her husband's home.

Maybe the issue here is that the woman is married to the wife rather than the husband taking a second wife? After all we are all used to that scenario and with a woman unable to have kids or not having a son, maybe people would 'sympathise' with the mans 'plight'.

I for one have no real issue with surrogate mother, adoptive mothers or contractual agreements between women about bearing a child for someone else or given a child for adoption to a women who is either unable to have children or who has no surviving male son in Igbolands current cultural context. What needs to change are the rules of inheritance but then they come from other entrenched rules about the root family and the married family where the female is concerned. It all has knock on effects which I doubt we are prepared to face.

1 Like

Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Bimpe29: 10:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
Fedayeen02:
barbarism is when someone hacks a person to death in the name of religion. Continue in your muslim faith
I understand ur sentiment better, even though d subject matter has no connection with religion.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Coolgent(m): 10:53pm On Jun 04, 2016
Chai! Chai!! Chai!!!
This is most important piece of information I have ever read in this year.
No wonder majority of Igbos are either Robbers, Kidnappers, Drug traffickers/dealers, rapist, 419ers, Baby factory, Gold diggers, Scammers Prostitutes or Militants/Terrorist.
What do u expect from Children born out of wedlock?

Warning: never have sex with ipob prostitute or else...
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by nkemdi89(f): 12:00am On Jun 05, 2016
ishiamu:

the later
Ok.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Nobody: 12:11am On Jun 05, 2016
Tribal bigots everywhere! undecided Is this culture not better than a particular tribe that are popular for promiscuity and high divorce rates?
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by MeAboki(m): 12:52am On Jun 05, 2016
Bookmarked for future reference.
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by xerxes456(m): 5:43am On Jun 05, 2016
uzor2:
It is a common practice in Igbo land for an older woman to marry a younger woman either for the husband or to bear children for her. It is not only in mbaise but in majority of the igbo land. It is equal to adoption of babies.
or Baby Factory...
Rabish...
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by 0ubenji(m): 9:10am On Jun 05, 2016
AxeurdaddyIX:

Keep Quiet. Whether Yoruba or Igbo or whatever. What's bad is bad. Let's be honest to ourselves.
Bros..I'm neither igbo nor yoruba
But I'd like to correct ur notion of GOOD/BAD
Nothin in life has its genric name as GOOD or BAD

It's our perception dat determines these moral entities..
This is an evidence of ur cognitive ability..
If u were asked today..wah propounded the basis of ur labelling this or dat "GOOD/BAD"..
If u r intellectual as I'd like to imagine u r..u wud hesitate for few seconds at such a questn..
Yea..u shud..coz it shud dawn on u dat u dint bring ur basis of good/bad directly from the womb..
Some factors basically impressioned dis upon u b4 ur cognitive abilities began to play a better part in shapin ur world-view..
These factors includes religion, peer-groups, native customs(exemplary from the thread's topic)..
U r bein told and taught what and what not to bliv is GOOD/BAD at a certain age b4 u began reasoning independently..
Erstwhile..each and evri1 of us stil buys these ideas that av been imbibed in us from one or two of the aforementioned factors..which makes us rebuke somtinz as gud or bad later in life.

Plz be discretional enuf not to always outrageously rebuke tinz or ppl's way of life as this or dat(more like u tryna abuse the "evri1 has a right to their opinion" cliche)
Remember..some tinz u call gud r bad to some opposing others..
It's juz a matter of perception nd moral acceptance..
This, sir, is the essence of religion, customs etc..."a smart way of concatenating/fusing worldviews"..so the issue of moral acceptance wud be narrowed down to sects rather than the individual..
U knw..if thr r 100 folks in 1room made up of ppl wit 100differing moral standards and worldviews;
unity, tolerance and moral acceptance of each other wud be a serious issue..
Buh if these 100 folks are made into two religious divisions with only two differing worldviews based strictly on religion(in dis case, whr ur religious standards supercedes ur personal standard)..tolerance is cheaper dis way for the sake of harmonious co-habitation..
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by 0ubenji(m): 9:14am On Jun 05, 2016
Coolgent:
Chai! Chai!! Chai!!!
This is most important piece of information I have ever read in this year.
No wonder majority of Igbos are either Robbers, Kidnappers, Drug traffickers/dealers, rapist, 419ers, Baby factory, Gold diggers, Scammers Prostitutes or Militants/Terrorist.
What do u expect from Children born out of wedlock?

Warning: never have sex with ipob prostitute or else...
Lolz..wat does being born in/out of wedlock have to do with determining a person's character?...
I fear naijans sha..
More like u wud debate dat pastor's children wud be d best behaved...smh
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by 0ubenji(m): 9:21am On Jun 05, 2016
Bimpe29:

Aunty scholar..so wahz ur definition of civilized and contemporary behaviour?..

The concept of polyandry and/or wide acceptance of "homosexuality" ..??(Amongst gross others)

Coz we both knw it's d same guys who intellectually empowered u to call dese cultural acts "uncivilized and primitive" dat pioneered a wide acceptance of "polyandry" and "homosexuality" in Africa
Re: Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 05, 2016
That practice is becoming obsolete, with the advent of modern legal system, I can choose to will my properties to anyone in event of my passing, male child or not. I don't know about Mbaise tho, am not from there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife’s Last Photo Alive: Oba Sijuwade Rides Rolls Royce Car With Sons / Ekiti Kete / Enugwu Ukwu In Anambra Where Pythons & Human Beings Live In Harmony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.