Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:52 PM

Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers (32093 Views)

What Causes Sneezing / Help A Slowly Dying Fellow-cold, cattarh and sneezing / Why Do We Say 'bless You' Or 'gesundheit' When People Sneeze? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by haneetram: 4:43am On Jun 05, 2016
Growing up in a Christian home, I often heard my mum say “bless you” after sneezing. I realized nothing was said after coughing or burping but only sneezing. Some days ago I was in physiology experiment class and the teacher sneezed. A student quickly replied “bless you”.
This teacher was obviously Chinese and for a moment I wondered if he understood why she said “bless you”...........

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by johnchukky: 5:25am On Jun 05, 2016
So what are we going to do now?

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 05, 2016
This reason is, Ignorance!

Another reason is, The moment you sneezed your heart stops for a split second and continue working again, so the christians folks consider it miracle for continuation of their heat beat meanwhile its mere biological make up.

84 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 05, 2016
Cos some deluded human beings believe in superstition and luck. Dey expect good things to just happen to dem even wothout working for it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by iamauxin(m): 11:48am On Jun 05, 2016
Jewish...... because they feel it's a rendezvous to give out blessings

English........to appear well-mannered and cultured

Russians.......to to make it appear that they won't launch missiles on you when you mess up.

Nigerians.....Yorubas... For lack of something to say
Hausas....just for stereotyping purposes.
Igbos.....to sell their goods

146 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Alexandro15: 11:48am On Jun 05, 2016
Here to know why
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by mccoy47(m): 11:48am On Jun 05, 2016
Only illiterates do dat angry

Ur welcome grin
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 05, 2016
It is absolutely out of place in modern society.

However it is imperative to tell apologize to people around by courtiously saying
"Am sorry "

Yes u have to apologize for involuntarily disseminating millions of microbs into the air.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by oppybouy(m): 11:48am On Jun 05, 2016
Well, cos you can't have enough of God's blessing I suppose smiley but really, its just simple courtesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Dandeson1(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by tolexy111: 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
Nonsense making FP. Mtcheeew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by akereconfi: 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
aaronson:

Another reason is, The moment you sneezed your heart stops for a split second and continue working again, so the christians folks consider it miracle for continuation of their heat beat meanwhile its mere biological make up.

It's a miracle, but let me rest my case.

Anyway Bless you wink

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Ocutegan(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
Would you rather love to be told "curse you" them even get time pray for you, you dey find reason.

Bless you though

13 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by kimond101: 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
I don't know about saying "Bless you " but in Islam we are encouraged to say "Alhamdullilah "

The narrations of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

Some of the reasons for saying “Alhamdulillah” are as follows:

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by mrofficial(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
Funny

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Kizyte(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
I don't know why! Can I ask Google? I'm sure that guy knows everything. angry
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Ijaya123: 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
Simple courtesy.

Also an indication of good mannerism.

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Decrozz(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
I wonder oo
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by cnnamoko(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2016
F
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Sunnykaka(m): 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
Waiting concern me... shocked shocked
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by jessejagga(m): 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
letz ask google
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by sarjay1000: 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
I even heard if u sneeze then someone somewhere is calling ur name...whatever the reason it has become part of our culture that even future generations will follow

3 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Olukokosir(m): 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
The heart stops for some seconds nd person wey no gt gud heart fit die

My tot doe

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by JustCare: 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
Well, it's just out of superstition I guess.

Meanwhile, bless you op tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Martinmania(m): 11:50am On Jun 05, 2016
Actually the sound yhu make when you sneeze sounds like "bless you"... Buh Nigerians would put sentiments on anything.. If my mum sneezes and I don't say it I'm in soup

2 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by labamo07(m): 11:51am On Jun 05, 2016
Google it up...........
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Olufhemy(m): 11:51am On Jun 05, 2016
& this thing made FP?
Probably nairaland needs some adults as MODs
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by palsenator(m): 11:52am On Jun 05, 2016
Obviously it does not add any value because who God don bless, no man can curse. If you ill not stop saying someone is blessed at any tine or circumstance, I think you are inviting Blessing to yourself. I don't say it though but I still won't condemn those that do say it.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:52am On Jun 05, 2016
aaronson:

Is there even a greater miracle than your biology?

Talking monkeys, on a giant floating, rotating sphere...what more miracles do you need...

4 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by GoodMuyis(m): 11:53am On Jun 05, 2016
Because they feel like saying it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vaginal Discharge: How To Tell If It’s Normal / FG Seeks COVID-19 Patients For Herbal Drug Trials / Tim Godfrey Healed Of Paralysis After Scientists Told Him His Bones Are Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.