Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,425 members, 7,781,242 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:10 AM

Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers (32095 Views)

What Causes Sneezing / Help A Slowly Dying Fellow-cold, cattarh and sneezing / Why Do We Say 'bless You' Or 'gesundheit' When People Sneeze? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by homesteady(m): 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
dexterinc2003:
It is still used in modern society, even in the western world. Wiki is your friend.

National Geographic reports that during the plague of AD 590, "Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"wink, since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague."[7] By AD 750, it became customary to say "God bless you" as a response to one sneezing.[8]

A typical polite response after being told "bless you" in response to sneezing is to thank the person who has said it.

aaronson so can you now STFU undecided
Can you now see that you are the ignorant person here?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by kannymoore(m): 12:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
kenonze:
It is absolutely out of place in modern society.

However it is imperative to tell apologize to people around by courtiously saying
"Am sorry "

Yes u have to apologize for involuntarily disseminating millions of microbs into the air.

you sef...

do you apologize when you MESS... I bet YOURS has far more microbes innit??!!!

I TRUST YoU...Fine Girls FARTS never disappoint !!! grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Justicealh3(m): 12:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
aaronson:
This reason is, Ignorance!

Another reason is, The moment you sneezed your heart stops for a split second and continue working again, so the christians folks consider it miracle for continuation of their heat beat meanwhile its mere biological make up.
We muslims says it too, not only christians. When ever the seater beside u sneezing, the sneezer will say Alhamdullahi, u beside the sneezer will say, Harama'kallah, (Bless u).
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Reference(m): 12:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
Olufhemy:
& this thing made FP?
Probably nairaland needs some adults as MODs

These are the kinds of topics that are of greatsst value to people in general. It js good to know things and share knowledge. The dislike for anthropology is one major fault line amongst Nigerians. We know very little about peoples, care less and suffer the consequences all the time.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by emvico(m): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2016
haneetram:
Growing up in a Christian home, I often heard my mum say “bless you” after sneezing. I realized nothing was said after coughing or burping but only sneezing. Some days ago I was in physiology experiment class and the teacher sneezed. A student quickly replied “bless you”.
This teacher was obviously Chinese and for a moment I wondered if he understood why she said “bless you”...........
is that all? mr attention seeker
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Twaci(f): 1:16pm On Jun 05, 2016
kannymoore:

you sef...

do you apologize when you MESS... I bet YOURS has far more microbes innit??!!!

I TRUST YoU... Fine Girls FARTS never disappoint!!! grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by emvico(m): 1:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
Justicealh3:
We muslims says it too, not only christians. When ever the seater beside u sneezing, the sneezer will say Alhamdullahi, u beside the sneezer will say, Harama'kallah, (Bless u).
harama'kallah is like - haram,boko haram
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by kannymoore(m): 1:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
Twaci:
cheesy cheesy

Shebi nah?

wink wink wink wink wink grin

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Twaci(f): 1:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
kannymoore:

Shebi nah?

wink wink wink wink wink grin
I comment my reserve lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by kannymoore(m): 1:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
Twaci:
I comment my reserve lipsrsealed

naughty you.... tongue...grin
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by CrazyScientist: 1:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
kimond101:
I don't know about saying "Bless you " but in Islam we are encouraged to say "Alhamdullilah "

The narrations of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

Some of the reasons for saying “Alhamdulillah” are as follows:

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best

I'm a Christian but I love your writeup.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by CrazyScientist: 1:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
Twaci:
cheesy cheesy

Twaci! So you're alive... cheesy
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Twaci(f): 1:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
CrazyScientist:

Twaci! So you're alive... cheesy
Hey Crazy! cheesy

Happy Sunday!
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Olufhemy(m): 1:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
Reference:

These are the kinds of topics that are of greatsst value to people in general. It js good to know things and share knowledge. The dislike for anthropology is one major fault line amongst Nigerians. We know very little about peoples, care less and suffer the consequences all the time.

I was thinking there are better topics, such as A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY, REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD WRITE A WILL ET AL.
What has this topic so far generated?

For what it's worth, I believe you meant epistemology as against anthropology
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by dabossman(m): 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
dexterinc2003:
It is still used in modern society, even in the western world. Wiki is your friend.

National Geographic reports that during the plague of AD 590, "Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"wink, since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague."[7] By AD 750, it became customary to say "God bless you" as a response to one sneezing.[8]

A typical polite response after being told "bless you" in response to sneezing is to thank the person who has said it.

Finally, someone who makes sense based on a quick research (I presume). I had feared that I would go through 3 pages without any enlightening answer.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by CrazyScientist: 1:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
Twaci:
Hey Crazy! cheesy

Happy Sunday!

Happy Sunday too Miss Nairaland forever cheesy
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by dabossman(m): 1:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
Olufhemy:

I was thinking there are better topics, such as A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY, REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD WRITE A WILL ET AL.
What has this topic so far generated?

For what it's worth, I believe you meant epistemology as against anthropology

Sometimes we tend to forget that Nairaland is a forum for all. It is not the Economist, or Political Watch. It is for everyone with varying interest. From those who want to read about celebrities, to cleavages and snakes, sports, whatever. It is the reader's duty to click on threads that appeals to their interest and ignore those that don't.

Mind you, this topic can be quite educating for those who seek general knowledge. Learning doesn't start and stop with the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by brojoshua: 1:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
I prefer to say "pele" which is a Yoruba word and which is a right greeting to him who coughs or knocks his foot against something, but this word has no exact English interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by straighttalk(m): 1:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
kimond101:
I don't know about saying "Bless you " but in Islam we are encouraged to say "Alhamdullilah "

The narrations of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) encourage us to say “Alhamdulillah” when we sneeze.

“Alhamdulillah” means “All praise is due to Allah”. A rightfully curious mind will wonder why are we supposed to express our gratitude to Allah for the insignificant act of sneezing. On the contrary, sneezing is no insignificant reaction of the body. Sneezing is a great blessing from Allah where various muscle groups come in to play. The muscles of the stomach, chest, neck and eyes are used for this seemingly insignificant reaction of the body.

1) Harmful substances contained in the body are dispelled when one sneezes. Especially when the harmful substances are strong, an odour can be smelt. We are saved from many sicknesses and diseases by the mere act of naturally sneezing as these harmful substances are expelled.

2) Our entire lives are in the control of Allah. If Allah wishes, he may cause our bodies to cease where we will not be able to make even the slightest move. When one sneezes, a person’s face becomes distorted for those few seconds. If Allah wished, he could have kept us with the same distorted expression permanently. It is only through the mercy and grace of Allah, that he grants us our normal expressions again.

3) When a person sneezes, the eyes automatically close. By the eyes remaining open, potential damage can be caused to the eyes. Allah causes the eyes to close to save us from such harm.

4) Sneezing generally causes the breathing passages to open up, thus allowing a person to breathe easily. In exchange of the many benefits we enjoy from sneezing naturally, it is only fair that we say our heartfelt gratitude to Allah by saying “Alhamdulillah”

And Allah Knows Best

May Allah increase you in knowledge Aaamin! In addition to above, it's one of the six obligations or duties of one Muslim upon the other, failure to do which is a haram (sin).
Allah and His rasul know best!

3 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Tobium1(m): 1:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
kenonze:

However it is imperative to tell apologize to people around by courtiously saying
"Am sorry "

Yes u have to apologize for involuntarily disseminating millions of microbs into the air.

U just said what's on my mind! Instead of apologising, Dey will now be expecting a "bless u" in return

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by whizzler: 2:02pm On Jun 05, 2016
kimond101:

And Allah Knows Best
well said, additionally and this is where I think hits the topic, the person(s) beside u says " Yar Hamaka Allah" meaning " May Allah have mercy on u/bless u". The sneezer replies with yah dikum Allah Wa yuslih balakum meaning "May Allah guide u n improve condition" in summary I think it's a borrow of islamic culture

2 Likes

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by chamboy(m): 2:07pm On Jun 05, 2016
kenonze:

"Am sorry "

abeg here in cali dey still say it.. i dunno wat u call modern
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by banmee(m): 2:16pm On Jun 05, 2016
Festivalofholi:
Cos some deluded human beings believe in superstition and luck. Dey expect good things to just happen to dem even wothout working for it.

You mean like most christians?

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by BumbleBee2ice(f): 2:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
Dnt knw d real story/reason behind it bt me jst believe it a simple act of courtesy.
Av also seen an indian man who has neva bin to Nigeria b4 say it to anoda wen d latter sneezed, dats to show its not only a norm around here. Even my daughter started saying it to pple wen she was jst a year old nd still does.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by LAUWALI222(m): 2:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
bcoz he breath out disease
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by sugarbeesmith(m): 2:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
stevecantrell:

You also notice that when someone presumed dead in the morgue wakes up, after many hours, the first thing they do is sneeze several times.
then we have to thank God for that

1 Like

Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by nd07(m): 2:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
Festivalofholi:
Cos some deluded human beings believe in superstition and luck. Dey expect good things to just happen to dem even wothout working for it.

But must one work for every good thing coming to him/her?
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by nd07(m): 2:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
chamboy:
abeg here in cali dey still say it.. i dunno wat u call modern

Thanks dear. Don't mind people that hold inferiority view about their society
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
bc they have met a member of Winners church.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by olisaEze(m): 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2016
The practice of blessing someone who sneezes dates as far back as at least AD 77, although it is far older than most specific explanations can account for. Some have offered an explanation suggesting that people once held the folk belief that a person's soul could be thrown from their body when they sneezed, that sneezing otherwise opened the body to invasion by the Devil or evil spirits, or that sneezing was the body's effort to force out an invading evil presence. In these cases, "God bless you" or "bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil. Moreover, in the past some people may have thought that the heart stops beating during a sneeze, and that the phrase "God bless you" encourages the heart to continue beating.
Re: Why People Say Bless You After Sneezing..... Answers by dahmie2013: 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nice one OP, neva thut of it, we grew up with dat notion. Sumtyms it's good 2 questn our beliefs'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tim Godfrey Healed Of Paralysis After Scientists Told Him His Bones Are Old / Man Commits Suicide By Hanging In Imo (Graphic Photo) / What Is This White Spots On My Penis?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.