Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,628 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library (858 Views)

Mysterious Winner Takes Earth Messages In Brazil, London And New York / Which African Country Is The Most Racist? / Racist 'tintin Au Congo' Banned From Library In Ny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library by mikelagos: 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
http://www./Entertainment/News.aspx?NewsId=1888

Racist 'Tintin Au Congo' Banned From Library

Brooklyn's chief librarian has yanked a nearly 80-year-old book from the shelves because it depicts Africans as monkeys.

Tintin Au Congo is the only book in the city library system hidden from public view after a reader complained that it was "racially offensive."

The popular Belgian children's work - due to be made into a movie by Steven Spielberg - is locked behind a series of hidden doors on the third floor of Brooklyn's central library.
Re: Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library by trekkie: 2:48am On Nov 16, 2009
i love tintin and i think it's silly to lock it away cos of a complaint. every thing in america is now about political correctness. is that the only copy in the world? that africans were depicted as monkeys is unfortunate however it is only indicative of the literary works of that era. some books i read (i can't remember which) referred to blacks as niggers because it was ok then to do so. to hide those works is to deny that racial slurs were once an acceptable staple in the literary diet. looking forward to the movie.
@ mike lagos do you know where i can get tintin comics to buy?
Re: Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library by agathamari(f): 2:07pm On Nov 17, 2009
trekkie:

i love tintin and i think it's silly to lock it away cos of a complaint. every thing in america is now about political correctness. is that the only copy in the world? that africans were depicted as monkeys is unfortunate however it is only indicative of the literary works of that era. some books i read (i can't remember which) referred to blacks as niggers because it was ok then to do so. to hide those works is to deny that racial slurs were once an acceptable staple in the literary diet. looking forward to the movie.
@ mike lagos do you know where i can get tintin comics to buy?
how much of this is because of political correctness and how much of it because some child showed it to his mom who started screaming it was racist and derogatory to her nad her neighbors. people get sooooo offensive about the smallest things nowday
Re: Racist 'tintin In Congo' Comic Banned From New York Library by trekkie: 11:21pm On Nov 17, 2009
agathamari:

how much of this is because of political correctness and how much of it because some child showed it to his mom who started screaming it was racist and derogatory to her nad her neighbors. people get sooooo offensive about the smallest things nowday

(1) (Reply)

How Nuhu Ribadu Lobbied To Unseat President Umaru Musa Yar’adua; Ibori Opens Up / 39 Batch 'a' Corps Members Gave Birth During Orientation Camp. / Male Drivers And Female Passengers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.