Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip (10950 Views)

Road Trip, Abuja - Tafawa Balewa(bauchi) - Wukari(taraba) - Makurdi - Abuja / Lagos To Zaria Road Trip (with Pics) / My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:21am On Jun 05, 2016
So I have this trip coming up, Will be moving to Abuja...
Now I plan to drive through Enugu because I understand the roads are better.
My longest trip before now is Enugu to Gombe in one stretch so stamina is not the issue. Its more of needing the help of the house to validate what Google maps is showing me.
I've done Enugu Abuja before but that was through the markudi route (my choice then was better roads) but this time I plan to do it through Lokoja.
Please see the Google map images attached and offer any suggestions on correctness or need to alter any part.
Also please where are the bad spots I should watch out for? I hear Ajaokuta is not good angry

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:35am On Jun 05, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by kingreign(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2016
Piyke:
So I have this trip coming up, Will be moving to Abuja...
Now I plan to drive through Enugu because I understand the roads are better.
My longest trip before now is Enugu to Gombe in one stretch so stamina is not the issue. Its more of needing the help of the house to validate what Google maps is showing me.
I've done Enugu Abuja before but that was through the markudi route (my choice then was better roads) but this time I plan to do it through Lokoja.
Please see the Google map images attached and offer any suggestions on correctness or need to alter any part.
Also please where are the bad spots I should watch out for? I hear Ajaokuta is not good angry

Follow Ajaokuta, although its rough, but even smaller cars than yours still use the same road.
The worst failed portion (sic) of the roads start from the Geregu power grid to the long span bridge.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by bravolad(m): 8:57am On Jun 05, 2016
I do Owerri to Abuja regularly but I go through Owerri to Onitsha - Onicha Ugbo - Uromi to Ewu junction to Okene to Lokoja and then Abuja. I spend less hours via this route because the roads are relatively ok. However, I have peeps who do the Enugu route but each time we take off together, I usually get to Abuja before them.

They also complain that the Enugu route is lonely. The Ajeokuta stretch of the route is very bad so you need to be careful there.

Safe trip.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Stancity(m): 9:19am On Jun 05, 2016
Piyke dont tell me you are leaving East permanently.... angry
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:12am On Jun 05, 2016
Dearest friend

I think the sections of the road that are bad along the Ajaokuta route are lesser than the sections of the road that are bad on the Lokoja Okene route.

However, the Ajaokuta route has more twists and turns but the Lokoja Okene route has more straights.

But the Ajaokuta route has fewer terribly dangerous potholes and the Lokoja Okene route has more than a fair share of terribly dangerous potholes so it cancels out. Especially around Okene and some parts of Edo, well I do not remember the name of the places.

If you can do as F1 drivers do, pin it down on the straights and do it safe and slow on the twists and turns, given the bad nature of major sections of Edo and Lokoja Okene routes, it is technically possible to get to abuja faster with the Ajaokuta route.

You are less likely to lose a tire on the Ajaokuta route due to bad roads and more likely to lose a tire in Edo route due to terrible roads

Now assuming you like to keep it steady at 120 - 140 km/hr, then you can do that for hours on end on Ajaokuta route but with the Lokoja Okene route, you will have so many instances of dialing the speed down and then having to pick it up again and before you know it you will have to slow down again in an almost unending cycle on the Lokoja Okene route, not so for the Ajaokuta route.

It just depends on the driver and the car.

Do me a favor, please bring along your A/C kit. I have been planning to visit Owerri because of you, but you are coming to Abuja, please bring it along and give me some professional A/C love even if I have to pay.

Safe trip

2 Likes

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 12:16pm On Jun 05, 2016
kingreign:

Follow Ajaokuta, although its rough, but even smaller cars than yours still use the same road.
The worst failed portion (sic) of the roads start from the Geregu power grid to the long span bridge.

Thanks Kingreign
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 12:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3554500_giphy_giff78492f0513c659e69dab2e47f56720

@ Gazzuzz I can't seem to see the image you attached. Have a feeling its that antelope munching pop corn grin Can you repost?

2 Likes

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by aieromon(m): 12:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
Owerri-Okigwe-Enugu-Ajaokuta-Lokoja-Abuja

Okene-Lokoja expressway no dey look anybody face.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
bravolad:
I do Owerri to Abuja regularly but I go through Owerri to Onitsha - Onicha Ugbo - Uromi to Ewu junction to Okene to Lokoja and then Abuja. I spend less hours via this route because the roads are relatively ok. However, I have peeps who do the Enugu route but each time we take off together, I usually get to Abuja before them.

They also complain that the Enugu route is lonely. The Ajeokuta stretch of the route is very bad so you need to be careful there.

Safe trip.

Thanks mate. Is this route through Auchi?
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 1:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
Stancity:
Piyke dont tell me you are leaving East permanently.... angry

Definitely not permanently, but for now
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 1:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
IdaraCHODB:
Dearest friend

I think the sections of the road that are bad along the Ajaokuta route are lesser than the sections of the road that are bad on the Lokoja Okene route.

However, the Ajaokuta route has more twists and turns but the Lokoja Okene route has more straights.

But the Ajaokuta route has fewer terribly dangerous potholes and the Lokoja Okene route has more than a fair share of terribly dangerous potholes so it cancels out. Especially around Okene and some parts of Edo, well I do not remember the name of the places.

If you can do as F1 drivers do, pin it down on the straights and do it safe and slow on the twists and turns, given the bad nature of major sections of Edo and Lokoja Okene routes, it is technically possible to get to abuja faster with the Ajaokuta route.

You are less likely to lose a tire on the Ajaokuta route due to bad roads and more likely to lose a tire in Edo route due to terrible roads

Now assuming you like to keep it steady at 120 - 140 km/hr, then you can do that for hours on end on Ajaokuta route but with the Lokoja Okene route, you will have so many instances of dialing the speed down and then having to pick it up again and before you know it you will have to slow down again in an almost unending cycle on the Lokoja Okene route, not so for the Ajaokuta route.

It just depends on the driver and the car.

Do me a favor, please bring along your A/C kit. I have been planning to visit Owerri because of you, but you are coming to Abuja, please bring it along and give me some professional A/C love even if I have to pay.

Safe trip

Many thanks bro. The F1 strategy will surely help. Funny enough I usually do that. I climb in and out of pot holes due to my car's limited ground clearance.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Stancity(m): 1:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
Piyke:

Definitely not permanently, but for now
Alright bro... I wish you all the possible best and safe journey to Abuja....

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
bravolad:
Safe trip.

I like this route, very familiar territory, and you get to pass through my village.

2 Likes

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
aieromon:
Owerri-Okigwe-Enugu-Ajaokuta-Lokoja-Abuja

Okene-Lokoja expressway no dey look anybody face.

pot holes or robbers?

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by bravolad(m): 1:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
Piyke:

Thanks mate. Is this route through Auchi?

Definitely yes.

GAZZUZZ:

I like this route, very familiar territory, and you get to pass through my village.

What's the name of your village? I like this route a lot.

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by aieromon(m): 2:02pm On Jun 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

pot holes or robbers?

Pot holes no dey look anybody tires nah.....
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2016
Finally this trip comes up tomorrow and I've decided to use the Enugu route. Not so sure if I can get pictures as I'm the only one driving. Will update though.
Thanks everyone for helping out.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Stancity(m): 8:50pm On Jun 18, 2016
Piyke:
Finally this trip comes up tomorrow and I've decided to use the Enugu route. Not so sure if I can get pictures as I'm the only one driving. Will update though.
Thanks everyone for helping out.
Safe journey.... If taking pix will distract you while driving, just let it go and focus on the road....

Let this journey no turn to permanent oo cus am even trying to lure Kingrein to East since Gazzuzz is just like Kainji Dam in Lag..

2 Likes

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Ikenna351(m): 1:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
Some people have trained themselves, based on what they are observing, to only look out for and beat the drum of things not working in their lives and ignore the ones working, and yet they wonder why things not working are getting bigger and dominating in their life experience. Such that they apply it to every subject presented before them.

Abuja-Enugu highway is one of the smoothest route/road to travel from North to East, yet some people seems to only focus on few kilometers that is a little bit rough in the journey that may not take more than 10 mins to drive through, forgetting the rest of the roads you drive smoothly for hours in the journey.

That route is also one of the safest route from North to East, while travellers in other routes experience robberies both day and night sometimes.

The Abuja-Enugu route appears to be the longest to get your destination, but what about it? If you are driving a fun car and catching fun every moment you in a journey, would you really be bothered about distance. Life is meant to be fun and not some routines people have programmed themselves to live.

There is nothing wrong in seeking clarification. But one question that should come to the original posters mind is "Why is Abuja-Enugu route calling you this time?". The idea, impulse or urge to to take the route came to you from your Inner being, but as physical mind always do, it tries to logic everything, "Two heads are better than one, so let get others opinion about my desire". There is nothing wrong with that though. Just that I have chosen to follow guides from my Inner being than external conditions or others opinion.

Whichever way, have fun in the journey.

Ikenna, Lion King.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by kingreign(m): 4:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ikenna351 my Guy awfa? Where you go hide?
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
kingreign:
Ikenna351 my Guy awfa? Where you go hide?

you will get a thesis for this question.

Runs out of thread...... grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
Thanks to my Father in heaven the journey was seamless. Did it in 8hrs via Enugu as planned with no untoward events.
Managed to take a few pics too.

Pics loading...

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
Stancity:
Safe journey.... If taking pix will distract you while driving, just let it go and focus on the road....

Let this journey no turn to permanent oo cus am even trying to lure Kingrein to East since Gazzuzz is just like Kainji Dam in Lag..

Lol@ Gazzuzz being like Kanji. But Oga Gazz comes to PH na
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:05pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ikenna351:
Some people have trained themselves, based on what they are observing, to only look out for and beat the drum of things not working in their lives and ignore the ones working, and yet they wonder why things not working are getting bigger and dominating in their life experience. Such that they apply it to every subject presented before them.

Abuja-Enugu highway is one of the smoothest route/road to travel from North to East, yet some people seems to only focus on few kilometers that is a little bit rough in the journey that may not take more than 10 mins to drive through, forgetting the rest of the roads you drive smoothly for hours in the journey.

That route is also one of the safest route from North to East, while travellers in other routes experience robberies both day and night sometimes.

The Abuja-Enugu route appears to be the longest to get your destination, but what about it? If you are driving a fun car and catching fun every moment you in a journey, would you really be bothered about distance. Life is meant to be fun and not some routines people have programmed themselves to live.

There is nothing wrong in seeking clarification. But one question that should come to the original posters mind is "Why is Abuja-Enugu route calling you this time?". The idea, impulse or urge to to take the route came to you from your Inner being, but as physical mind always do, it tries to logic everything, "Two heads are better than one, so let get others opinion about my desire". There is nothing wrong with that though. Just that I have chosen to follow guides from my Inner being than external conditions or others opinion.

Whichever way, have fun in the journey.

Ikenna, Lion King.

Very true Ikenna, this route is bliss. Just that little stretch at Ajaokuta. Really enjoyed the journey!

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
Departed a little later than planned...It was 7:27am at the dot when I got into the car.
Also below is a snapshot of my instrument cluster before takeoff

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:38pm On Jun 19, 2016
Made my way through all the villages and got to Okigwe under an hour.
Took this random pics at Okigwe. 1st is at the junction proper and 2nd at the cattle market

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
I used Google maps in combination with a drawn map which a friend helped me with. In fact they almost a perfect match
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:50pm On Jun 19, 2016
It was nice coming into Enugu. Couldn't resist the temptation to get a pic of Honda place!

Continued to Abakpa junction and headed towards Nike Lake resorts. Was surprised that the whole of the road leading to Nike Lake resort was now tarred solid

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2016
My target speed was 120-150km/hr, more around 140km/hr. My mental rev limiter always kicked in at 160km/hr.

Speed depended on smoothness of road, How far ahead I could see and traffic.

I was at Opi junction at 10:04am...

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
At Obolo afor. Opi junction to Obolo afor and co is a bit rough but nothing to worry about

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
Took the turn at Otukpa and ended up at the bridge over the Niger abi Benue

Next was Geregu power plant... and the journey continued...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cars Are Melting In Kuwait Due To High Temperature / Driving Schools In Lagos: Someone Help Me Out Pls / 5 Major Reason Why It's Difficult To Rotate A Steering Wheel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.