Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,074 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:27 AM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (104502 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 8:46am On Jun 05, 2016
Dear Nairaland Solar System Users,

My aim of creating this thread is to make it easier for would be solar panel consumers to make informed decisions before getting their own solar system. It will also enable me to be able to convince people about going solar and the best brand of products to purchase. People have been marketing solar businesses here and there, but we don't know if their products will last long in service.

I'm presently using some Indian products I suppose, and I'm quit satisfied with some while other ones are quit disappointing. So I employ all solar system users to kindly come in and talk about their batteries, inverters, charge controllers and solar panels.

I'll talk about the brands I'm using and also, will talk about the brands I've heard about.

INVERTER

Firstly, I'm using Microtek (1.6KVa/24V) Pure Sinewave Inverter which is a very strong one and is almost getting to it's sixth month. Why I classify it as a strong inverter is that on several occasions, I've had it plugged into a socket that feeds off itself mistakenly but it hasn't developed any fault at all. From what I've heard, this can outrightly damage an inverter. I've been more careful these days but as you all know it, mistakes are bound to happen and I usually tend to repeat it once in a while. By the way, it's made in India.

I've heard about Indian brands like Su-Kam, Luminous and Synergy. These set seems to be the high end Indian products and from what I've heard, it seems they do their work well tho might be costlier than others. My bro used his Luminous Inverter for 18 months before it developed fault.. I've heard only very little about other brands like MPower, SoccerPower, etc. From what I heard about these other inverters, they are ok.

From the person I purchased my solar system, I got to hear of American brand called TriStar. Quit expensive but does it job outstandingly well.

BATTERIES

This one seems to be the major problem people are likely to encounter when going solar. There are so many brands of batteries out there but getting a cheap one that will last long is quit difficult. I'm using 2 of 12V/200Ah PowerTek Deep Cycle batteries, of which one of them is giving me issues just within 6 months of purchase. One of the batteries never gets beyond 10.7 volts after full charge (and during initial us sage) while the other reaches 12.9V after full charge and during initial discharge. The man I bought it from asked me to have a car battery charger to charge the faulty one separately but I've not had the chance for that yet.

I've heard about Luminous, Synergy and Su-Kam batteries and from what I heard, they are pretty ok, although expensive. A friend of mine that works for a Solar system coy told me that the top three Indian products in Nigeria are the strongest ones among the Indian ones. And that they hardly get complains from consumers in that regards. My brother has used Luminous battery for 18 months and it appears to still be working fine while his Luminous Inverter seems to be faulty after using it for 18 months.

TriStar is expensive but better than the Indian batteries though.

One of the top Chinese brands in Nigeria is Mercury. I've not used it before, but based on what my bro said, he was like people that he knows that use it don't complain. It's quit cheap and in same range as some lower end Indian products in terms of prices.

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 8:46am On Jun 05, 2016
CHARGE CONTROLLER

In this case, I use a Chinese product and it did get faulty whenever my batteries discharge below the Low Voltage Disconnection Protection (LDP). I've changed this product twice (within six months) due to the guarantee period given by the guy that sold it to me. From its pack, it is more of a nameless product.

For charge controllers, TriStar is expensive but as usual will give you value for your money. I neither know nor have I heard much about Indian brands of Charge Controllers. Although I've used one in the past which worked pretty well and always tells me when I should switch off my inverter by a red signal light. Will get the name later and post on this thread.

SOLAR PANEL

For panels, I think any panel will do. All the consumer has to do is ensure that the ratings are accurate. Ask the seller to test the Short Circuit Current and Voltage for you and once done, multiply the current (I) by the Voltage (V) to see if it is close to or same as the panel power ratings in Watts. After confirming this, just take your panel home ensuring you prevent it from damage during transport and installation, and you should be good to go. Solar panels last for as much as 20 - 25 years or more. Though in dry seasons and dusty areas, they require cleaning once in a while. However, in rainy seasons, rainfalls can help you clean them up.

My products are 2 of 300W/24V panels. Quite heavy and large.

Someone asked me to help him acquire his own system and i therefore want to get inputs from Nairalander before making my decisions on brands to go for. So I ask that users of solar system come in and give their bitter or good experience using brands of batteries, inverters, charge controllers and solar panels. And also, mods please take us to front page for more contributions

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by khristals(m): 9:31am On Jun 05, 2016
mmmmmm.. nice
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by khristals(m): 9:31am On Jun 05, 2016
I would say something but most times when I use solar energy its to dry my washed clothes grin

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 9:42am On Jun 05, 2016
khristals:
I would say something but most times when I use solar energy its to dry my washed clothes grin

LoL! It goes beyond that.. Fortunately, its (sun/solar) rays can knock off electrons from panels which can be transmitted thru cables, thru controllers into the batteries. smiley wink

9 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by cybug: 10:11am On Jun 05, 2016
This is a wrong section to open this kind of thread... Take it to the Technology section.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 10:43am On Jun 05, 2016
cybug:
This is a wrong section to open this kind of thread... Take it to the Technology section.

Thanks, I'll definitely do..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:04am On Jun 05, 2016
Donald3d:
hw much did u get d panel

I got each panel for N49,000 as at January, this year..

It was more of a swap deal tho.. I lost a few bucks in the process. I returned the three 130W/12V panels I got and exchanged all three for one 300W/24V panel before paying him 49K to have one extra 300W/24V. I actually needed them in 24V to make upgrade easier and for it to consume less space on the roof.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:10am On Jun 05, 2016
Cc Seun, Lalasticlala.. I know this is neither a celebrity gist nor politics nor that of a killed animal but I do need to get some important info to enable me make the right decisions this time around. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Truman155(m): 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
a
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Bishops10(m): 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
[size=30pt] Pls who is the Minister for Solar[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
been using an inverter for some time now and so far it's been so good
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by doskie(m): 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2016
Okay.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by carreport(m): 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
Funny moniker by the OP 'Sycophantic Goat'

Please can we have a complete schematic diagrams from Solar panels - charge controllers - inverters - battery bank.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by dsaburi(f): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by emmyvet(m): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
Learning
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by davodyguy: 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
Its really interesting.

We just commissioned a mega gas station adjacent to Lagos Business School in Ajah and it is fully solar powered

No single electricity from the national grid.
All ACs, pumps, lightings and equipment all get fed from the solar panel.

It cost is millions of naira

We have 48 *3 batteries. Installed i.e 144 200Ah batteries and 93KVA total power available at the station

15 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Cherishing(f): 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
Oga you forgot to your contact Abi you no wan sell market

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
Chai! Some people own Solar Systems? So, you mean we have more than one Solar System, and people own them?

6 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by TrollTrap: 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
Might go into solar biz.....

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by kekakuz(m): 7:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
was about to but the mtn inverter until I heard it can't even power a laptop

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Flips: 7:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
SycophanticGoat:
Cc Se.un, Lalas.ticlala.. I know this is neither a celebrity gist nor politics nor that of a killed animal but I do need to get some important info to enable me make the right decisions this time around. Thank you.
Please I will like to buy a solar inverter (3.5kvA) + 4 batteries. Do you know a reliable seller(s) in Lagos?
Where did you get yours if I may ask?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by femimat(m): 7:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
I have a 2.4 kva inverter, what will it cost me to incorporate a solar panel... Thanks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Kelechi2020(m): 7:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
Following strictly....i would love to know the cost implications though...

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by maureeoy: 7:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
please this one on the roof how much does it cost? and how do i get it.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by promisengr(m): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nice thread
I'd like to know, how many typical household appliances and a panel power.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by promisengr(m): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nice thread
I'd like to know, how many typical household appliances can a panel power.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by sjahdey: 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Very interesting topic.

How much power do you generate?

What electrical appliances do you power with your system?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Flips: 7:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
femimat:
I have a 2.4 kva inverter, what will it cost me to incorporate a solar panel... Thanks
Please can a 2.4 kva with 2 batteries carry a fridge and fans at the same time?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by maureeoy: 7:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
is there a number to reach u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

110-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur's Last Meal Found Preserved In It's Stomach (Pics) / Snake Refuses To Come Out After Man Swallowed It During Magic Stunt. Photos / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.