Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Sewing for beginners - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Sewing for beginners (92145 Views)

Simple Beginners Guide To Going Natural In Nigeria + Starter Kit / Sewing For Beginners @elveela Fashion School / Sewing For Beginners (theory And Practical) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:44am On Dec 05, 2017
hypnotic:
A mobile sewing machine can help with those small stitches

https://hadassahlingerie.smemarkethub.com/products/139521/mini-sewing-machine/

I don't think so. I would rather buy a table sewing machine which can deal with all types of sewing.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Olinga(f): 10:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
marylandcakes:

Most fridge bulbs and sewing machine light bulbs are the same as long as you follow the specifications which is- 15V, 240w and the screw cap is SES. You can’t go wrong. The difference between the two is just the packaging.

Ma pls are you in lagos. Can i learn physically from you?
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:19am On Dec 07, 2017
Olinga:

Sorry I’m not based in Lagos. It is very easy to learn anything online these days, just send in any queries you may have and I will try and answer them for you.

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 4:16pm On Dec 11, 2017
Olinga:

You will be saving money by learning online from the OP. Its free

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 1:27am On Dec 14, 2017
Rubyventures:

You will be saving money by learning online from the OP. Its free

That’s right.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Olinga(f): 3:17pm On Dec 14, 2017
marylandcakes:

That’s right.

Pls can you teach me how to make off shoulder top
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:14am On Dec 15, 2017
Olinga:

Pls can you teach me how to make off shoulder top

My video for the off shoulder blouse is below, please let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4DamS9giAc
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 3:59am On Dec 18, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvlj3sPRmFY

This video shows how to sew a padded top
Re: Sewing for beginners by salewa01: 12:25pm On Dec 18, 2017
plz house, am always having problem with armhole.plz who can put me through, I will really appreciate
Re: Sewing for beginners by salewa01: 12:27pm On Dec 18, 2017
pls house am aving a problem with armhole who can put me through. I will appreciate
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 12:50pm On Dec 18, 2017
salewa01:
pls house am aving a problem with armhole who can put me through. I will appreciate

What kind of problems are you having? This thread has really helped me understand armholes a lot. I too used to have problems.

I know that the difference between the front and back arm hole is 1/2".
Re: Sewing for beginners by salewa01: 1:11pm On Dec 18, 2017
thank you ma.@Rubyventures .it normally tight .I normally cut 18 inches burst is 36. plz I need more straight explanation.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 5:15am On Dec 20, 2017
salewa01:

What is the actual measurement of your armhole?
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 5:56am On Dec 20, 2017
I’m going to assume that your armhole measurement is 18”
That means that the half length is 9” for the back and front.
Your shoulder slope will be 3/4” drop. (Medium for standard)
Start your arm hole measurement after the shoulder slope drop if it is a top with sleeves and at the shoulder point if it is a sleeveless top.
For your arm hole curve go out 1” to draw your curve, but for the front you will have to go in 1” before drawing the armhole curve. I will do a diagram for you later so you can understand it later.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 10:55am On Dec 20, 2017
hope this diagram can help you understand?

Re: Sewing for beginners by hypnotic(m): 12:26pm On Dec 20, 2017
Re: Sewing for beginners by Wunmis: 4:06pm On Dec 20, 2017
Good day house... I just saw this tutorial post... God bless you for impacting knowledge without charging a dime... Pls kindly help answer this question... In making a pencil skirt do you add dart allowance to the waist circumference and also to the hip circumference?
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
Wunmis:
Good day house... I just saw this tutorial post... God bless you for impacting knowledge without charging a dime... Pls kindly help answer this question... In making a pencil skirt do you add dart allowance to the waist circumference and also to the hip circumference?

Thanks for your lovely comments.

When making a pencil skirt you only add dart allowance to the waist circumference not the hips. You can add 1/4” ease allowance to the hips.

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:50am On Dec 21, 2017
Thanks OP

I have really gained a lot of knowledge following you on this thread and on YouTube.

Thanks for this. stay blessed
Re: Sewing for beginners by EsteemedB(f): 3:43pm On Dec 21, 2017
Nice thread.A fashion Intern is needed in Lagos.He or She must be able to cut/sew male and female cloths.And must be within Isheri,Idimu,Council and its environs.Interested persons should send their e-mails to -enoah51@yahoo.com.Payment is based on the number of cloths you sew.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 6:20am On Dec 22, 2017
Rubyventures:
Thanks OP

I have really gained a lot of knowledge following you on this thread and on YouTube.

Thanks for this. stay blessed

You are welcome �

Keep up the support.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 12:10pm On Jan 03, 2018
marylandcakes:

You are welcome �

Keep up the support.

Happy New Year
@Op looking forward to more challenging videos.

I have finally got my sewing machine. Thanks for all your advice it really helped me to make a good decision and helped my pocket also. grin

so bring on the sewing projects!!
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 10:43pm On Jan 05, 2018
Rubyventures:

Happy New Year
@Op looking forward to more challenging videos.

I have finally got my sewing machine. Thanks for all your advice it really helped me to make a good decision and helped my pocket also. grin

so bring on the sewing projects!!

Happy new year to you and all my fellow Nairalanders.

I pray that we learn more from each other this new year. Thank.

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:46am On Jan 06, 2018
Turning your boring top into a dress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BYly-qreVM
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 9:49am On Jan 07, 2018
The video above clearly shows how you make a circle skirt and also how to add gemstones to fabric. There is also a bit of bias making. Please let me know if you have any queries. Thanks
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 1:48pm On Jan 08, 2018
marylandcakes:
The video above clearly shows how you make a circle skirt and also how to add gemstones to fabric. There is also a bit of bias making. Please let me know if you have any queries. Thanks

Can I do this same design using one skirt only?
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 2:23pm On Jan 09, 2018
Also , I know that This is the season of Velvet. Can you please do a video on either plain or floral velvet material . With video explanations.

Thanks
Re: Sewing for beginners by DeeMarh(f): 7:15am On Jan 10, 2018
Hi Marylandcakes, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I really have passion and flair for sewing and fashion designing and I've been looking for good AFFORDABLE places to learn around here in Surulere Lagos but haven't seen yet. Seeing this thread is like a dream come true for me and I hope it will really help me learn from the scratch.
I'm going to be using my mum's sewing machine and sewing equipments.
You are really doing a great work, keep it up!
Thanks!
Re: Sewing for beginners by DeeMarh(f): 7:21am On Jan 10, 2018
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:32am On Jan 10, 2018
DeeMarh:
I also intend starting up a fashion business with this

Welcome on board,

Me too I have learnt a lot from this thread, Its such a shame that this thread is hidden in this section.

I got my sewing machine a couple of months back with tips and guidance from the OP. Why pay for a sewing class when you can get it free?

The only cost is your data.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 6:29am On Jan 11, 2018
DeeMarh:
Hi Marylandcakes, I'm just seeing this thread for the first time. I really have passion and flair for sewing and fashion designing and I've been looking for good AFFORDABLE places to learn around here in Surulere Lagos but haven't seen yet. Seeing this thread is like a dream come true for me and I hope it will really help me learn from the scratch.
I'm going to be using my mum's sewing machine and sewing equipments.
You are really doing a great work, keep it up!
Thanks!

Hello Deemarh, you’re come to the right place. Please feel free to ask any questions. You are very much welcome.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Enugu Police Arrest Two Ladies Walking On The Road For Indecent Dressing / Lady's Before & After Makeover Photos Spark Outage Online / 5 Ways To Make Your Beard Grow Faster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.