Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,471 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

My Bicycle Restoration Project - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Bicycle Restoration Project (17043 Views)

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project / Aston Martin Unveils ₦7.6m Bicycle, Would You Buy It?(Photos) / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Edunwa302(m): 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
Like ur spirit
I smell engineering as ur profession
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2016
xvbill:

@redcliff i was able to strip down the original red paint color with simple diy ingredients. The primary was caustic soda, depending on the surface area u want to strip, 100grams of caustic soda will be enough then u will need some sought of sticking agent something to make the caustic soda stick to the surface u will be striping. So for that u will need flour, mix 20grams of flour to the 100grams of caustic soda and u will get a dense paste, then u apply to the surface u want to strip.
Note!!!
U must wear protective rubber gloves so it doesn't contact ur skin, it burns the skin, caustic soda burns skin.
It strips off oiled base paint, the types used for metallic surfaces.
U have to leave the paste on the surface till it destroy the paint, u will notice the paint will start to spoil. It should take an hour or more for it to fully work.
. if u can get a paint stripper it will be more easier and effective instead of this simple diy paint stripper, i looked for it in naija but i didnt get it. @ redcliff its easy to source abroad.
U can see the effect on my handle bars, it was black olor b4, now its stripped

Oh wow. I tell you. Im very impressed that you did that. But to be honest i dont think i would have done that for myself except the frame was rusted and old. Im very impressed. I want to ask. How did your paint hold up? How did you paint it? I can see from your other thread that you sold the bike already. Normally if there was a powder coating company or folks that powder coat in nigeria, it would have made a lot of sense because powder coating is the method used to spray bicycle frames. At least almost all of them.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:36pm On Jul 30, 2016
Edunwa302:
Like ur spirit
I smell engineering as ur profession

I swear i for become engineer o. But i never took science class serious in SS1. I gats switch. grin but one thing i know is that, with the right tools and idea, anybody can achieve anything. Nigeria has ideas but no tools.

2 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Edunwa302(m): 4:29pm On Jul 30, 2016
redcliff:

I swear i for become engineer o. But i never took science class serious in SS1. I gats switch. grin but one thing i know is that, with the right tools and idea, anybody can achieve anything. Nigeria has ideas but no tools.
Awch!!! You would have been pro had it been you are in the field
Can't wait to see your finish product
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 31, 2016
redcliff:

Oh wow. I tell you. Im very impressed that you did that. But to be honest i dont think i would have done that for myself except the frame was rusted and old. Im very impressed. I want to ask. How did you paint hold up? How did you paint it? I can see from your other thread that you sold the bike already. Normally if there was a powder coating company or folks that powder coat in n8geria, it would have made alot of sense because powder coating is the method used to spray bicycle frames. Atleast almost all of them.

Haha i was just curious. Its the normal spray, auto base used on cars i used on my bike. But the bike u saw on that other thread which i sold was my old bike. That one was a rhino free fall. Its a lime green and black bike
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 9:16am On Jul 31, 2016
xvbill:

Haha i was just curious. Its the normal spray, auto base used on cars i used on my bike. But the bike u saw on that other thread which i sold was my old bike. That one was a rhino free fall. Its a lime green and black bike

It was sprayed for you or you did it yourself?
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2016
My self. But my friend owns the car spray shop
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:28am On Jul 31, 2016
xvbill:
My self. But my friend owns the car spray shop

Okay cool!
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2016
So its the end of the month and y'all know how it is. I bought a few items for the bicycle and i am not sure when they would come by. I hope it doesnt take a while. I got a bike light with 1200 lumens although i saw one of 10k lumen but i was going to have problems of fixing it sonewhere. The handlebar is already filled up and the fork that has a spave for light doesnt have the fitting structure for the light. It comes with its own battery that needs to be attached somewhere. I aready had too many things hanging out if the bike and i dont need extra so i ditched it. Decided to get this

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2016
Its going to be easier because ibwould just shift the bell on the right side of the handlebar a bit to the left and attach it because its small and i am sure it can fit in. But the problem here is that it needs a battery and i have to get one. So last week, i got a power bank as a gift from my employer and i would be using that. Its in a tube form and i checked it, it fits into the controller box very good without obstructing anything. The only thing i would be doing is to pad it a bit with the foam from the old handlebar.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
Meanwhile i made a video of trying to do a rough connection of the wires to just see what happens and it did not power on. I took the battery in to charge to see if maybe it was dead before. Who knows.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Foo2gEweI
Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yumSZpHPCU

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2016
In my last video, i tried to do something someone from a previous post asked me to do. Make a quick video if i could and i obliged unwillingly. So i was just curious like i said in my previous video, i ordered a few thing that would be coming later in the new month and i just wanted to be sure what i bought (the kit) was working perfectly. So i roughly fixed all the chords into the controller and i tried to start the LCD but it was not working. So i took the battery inside to charge it for a while and when i brought it back it wasnt still working. So i figured maybe the key on the ignition of the battery wasnt just to lock the battery to the rack for security alone. It was also a stary button to send power to the controller. I inserted the key in the ignition and turned it on and also turned the display buttom on and it worked!. So apparently it shows the weather temperature, distance ran, current speed, battery levels and alot more other things i did not take time to check.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2016
I raised the back part of the bicycle up and pressed down the throttle and i under 5 seconds i was getting speeds of 50kph. I was very impressed and this is without the pedal assist system. I am guessing with the pedal assist, i should get a speed of 70kp. Well we would see! But im already super excited with this. Its exactly what i hoped for.

Then again there was a little problem. As the wheel was spinning i smelt the tire like it was frictioning against something. As i coulnt do 3 things at the same time , i had to look to see where the tire was making contact with. I did not really see anywhere but later on i found this

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
I figured the brake pad was rubbing off on the rear tire and i am sure it is because the tire itself is a bigger dimension to the previous one there but i would try to adjust the brake to see how that goes...but overall, all is going normally.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:55am On Aug 01, 2016
This was a test run. Raised the back tires up. 57kph. Without pedal assist. shocked . This is even faster than one of the best swiss/world bicycle. The stromer st2s. Well in terms of speed though.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by kingreign(m): 11:57am On Aug 01, 2016
redcliff:
This was a test run. Raised the back tires up. 57kph. Without pedal assist. shocked . This is even faster than one of the best swiss/world bicycle. The stromer st2s. Well in terms of speed though.
Hope not to be on such bike. embarassed
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
kingreign:

Hope not to be on such bike. embarassed

Lmao! whats the difference between a bicycle and a power bike biko? besides, the road is good and free.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
in one of my last posts, I calculated a speed of 50kph and this was because the bicycle's rear brake was rubbing off on the tire, therefore not enabling it to reach its full potential. As soon as I got it fixed, it let loose and did its thing.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by kingreign(m): 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2016
redcliff:

Lmao! whats the difference between a bicycle and a power bike biko? besides, the road is good and free.

Wider tyre tracks on the sports bike
I prefer a 4 wheel vehicle.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:22pm On Aug 01, 2016
kingreign:

Wider tyre tracks on the sports bike
I prefer a 4 wheel vehicle.

well, I was wise enough to get a wider tire track than the old tire on it. Each man to his own. I would prefer having a bicycle that I can use to do city run than always hopping the bus or using a car to do a city run. because I would also consider paying for park space. its far more convenient and you dont have to work with the pace of the bus plans. Its easier to get to the main train station. with a normal bicycle on full pedal its 15mins. this also includes uphill pedaling. With this, it should be approximately 5-7 mins. Now Imagine someone who has a job located 15mins away from his house and can use this everyday. They are priced possession here and there are dedicated tracks for bicycle owners and these tracks are respected by all. I dont see a problem with this.

3 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by calebify1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2016
redcliff:
wow
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:43am On Aug 02, 2016
Successfully fixed the speed sensor to the bike frame and a second part (magnet) on the rear tire. I carefully made sure i aligned them both and what this is that as the tire spins at any speed, the sensor calculates the so called speed and sends it to the controller box which also sends the reading to the LCD screen.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:15am On Aug 05, 2016
I feel so sad for Nairaland. I am considering closing my account after this thread. Bigotry and tribalism has finally taken over. It wasnt like this in 2009. Damn!

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:24am On Aug 05, 2016
I later discovered after many online search that my bottom bracket is a lockring bottom bracket. Although its quite old, its findable if you look properly. Apparently i was been charged 200chf (70k) to order this. Somw people are just mad and wicked at the same time. I looked online and saw it. It just cost 19chf (7300). But you would be needing three set of these and just one cost 19chf. In an instance you want to take out the whole bottom bracket, you need to buy the lockring spanner, pin spanner and one other one i am not sure of the name. (Would update it when i get the name). In my case i just need to fix the PAS assist and anything to hold it down on the pedal is ok for me. Apparently, the lockring itself is one of three things you woyld ve pulling out of the bottom area and i thought to myself i only need to take out one ring, place another in that space and put the ring back. So there are two rings that would be in the space of one. I am hoping it does work otherwise i would have to change the whole bottom bracket to a more modern one that can accomodate the PAS ring i want to put in. Its a flat one so it should basically fit. ( i hope).

This is a picture of the Locring screw, the one that has openings around its circumference and the other abnormal looking ring is the one that comes with the PAS system. I loosened the screw that holds the magnet and the sensor on it. so right now, its basically just another mettal

This is how I want it to be when its fitted into the bottom bracket. The ring under it is flat enough to be held by the tightening force from the lock ring at its back.

this image is the lock ring spanner. Park tool HW-5

This is the second magnet that rotates with the pedal. its carefully fitted and tight that it does not come off. Its somewhat a hard rubber plastic. (if I may put it that way) So as This one moves and it rubs off the sensor of the other magnet, the controller box reads the speed at which you move it and synchronizes it with the speed of the motor.

Trying to figure out the best way to place the zip tie that holds the controller box tight in the box. I coulf not apprently because the biggest zip tie i got wasnt big enough in this postion. I have to turn it a horizontal manner. But I later found out this would be useless because the controller sits tight.

Successfully connected the PAS sensor to the bottom brack and this is what it looks like now and I have sprayed it to blend with other parts of the bike so it looks good now.

more pics
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by kingreign(m): 12:32pm On Aug 05, 2016
redcliff:
I feel so sad for Nairaland. I am considering closing my account after this thread. Bigotry and tribalism has finally taken over. It wasnt like this in 2009. Damn!
@ italicized comment, don't try it. There is no need for such.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Tochex101(m): 8:30pm On Aug 05, 2016
kingreign:

@ italicized comment, don't try it. There is no need for such.
I concur, don't try it. Your doing a real good job and want to close one of the few remaining threads one can find peace, sanity and maturity.
Nairaland is here for all of us to learn and share knowledge.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:57pm On Aug 05, 2016
I actually did leave one time but when nairaland restored its backup i found my username working again... when im done i would put this on my private website and do a few editing... i hope to work on my mercedes benz 560SEC soon. But i would wait a bit because the things i want to do inside that moto. Only God go save person. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:30pm On Aug 08, 2016
I needed to do a touch up painting of some parts of the bike. Like some parts that were not part of the initial spray job and some that chipped out as a result of screwing and coming in contact with sharp objects. I also used a double layer protective coat gloss finish. so I focused on one side of the bike then went to the other side. But before that;

the main cable that connects to the motor of the tire, I was able to successfully zip tie it to the frame and hide it a bit so the bike doesnt look too worked on. I tried to maintain precision as best as possible. and when I am wiring, I would try to organize the cables come form the brakes, LCD, battery, brakes and pedal in a very neat manner so it looks good to the eyes.

I already installed the sensor on the pedal. If you look properly, you can see all rings sitting at where they are supposed to

I wrapped a few parts I dont want to to be affected by the spray with a masking tape. before spraying. its important you do this so that delicate parts dont get affected. Also you should have a nail poslish remover by the side in case something touches somewhere you dont like. you can clean that out immediately. I must advice. use that with caution because of it potency!

Cables carefully placed waiting for the spiral wiring to come in the mail so I can carefully organize it. I advise that you should think of how you want the wiring structure to be in order to not make wiring mistakes.

Pedals already fixed. Made a mistake with this but corrected it afterwards.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
Today, I was able to successfully fix the chain and the second gear selector. It was a very tough one! I am glad that is over. Apprently, the bicycle is ready to be ridden the way it is. but I would need to fix a few more things. I think i messed up with my tube when fixing the front tire so it got flat and I have ordered for a patch for the tube.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:51pm On Aug 08, 2016
i am basically done with this bicycle. the next thing i need to do are these:

1. Get the back light (it has a GPS system on it. So, this bike would be un-steal-able.
2. Fix the front healight (which hasn't come yet)
3. I am considering buying any of these two bags. Maybe someone can help me make that decision (I would upload pictures shortly).
4. Fix the wiring system. (the components for this are not here yet)
5. Fix the bad front tire.
6. connect cable ends (not here yet)
7. Connect new leg Stand.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 1:09pm On Aug 08, 2016
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 11:36am On Aug 10, 2016
Hello Everyone, this may be the last post for me on this thread. I was able to get the spiral wrap and this is what it looks like

This picture shows the first steps i took already in wrapping some wires in needed to connect directly to the controller.

more pics of the wrapping process. I must say, its time consuming.

This is the wire that comes from the motor, speed sensor, torque sensor and the battery.

getting ready to be routed on into the controller

Carefully placed into the controller. for final cover. I made use of zip ties to hold the wires in place in the controller box

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can You Drive On Nigerian Roads Without Scratches? / How Much Do You Spend On Transportation Daily? / Mercedes-Maybach Unveals Vision 6 Cabriolet At Pebble Beach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.