Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad (57646 Views)

Edo Indigenes Who Were Killed In Accident On Return From Spain, Identified. PICS / Photos Of 8 Edo Indigenes Who Died In Fatal Accident On Return From Spain / "My Sister From Abroad Survives Fatal Accident On Way To Benin" (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by andyanders: 1:55pm On Jun 07, 2016
Op, maybe the kind of friends you have and their attitude.

Never take offence over people's action and attitude as that is their life.I wouldn't wanna blame anybody but the guys who wanna act over ascent issue when they know that one cannot force himself to speak what he/she don't know. Most of the ascent you observe guys speaking here is just street language. An educated person from the US you come across wouldn't act or speak out to impress anybody. The language or ascent will flow naturally.

When you first get to the US, you have to blend naturally as you cannot force yourself to speak the language.You learn the language just like a new born baby trying to flow with any language.

Op, it could be the level of your so called friends that you took as a case file. In fact, I wouldn't wanna talk much about this.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by sukkot: 1:55pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:

Abeg. Grasscutter, antelope and other bush meats aside rats, snake, bats are much better than those abroad premature meat.
thats that primitive mind you still have brah. you are still stuck in the prehistoric stone-ages spiritually. this is what the bible calls ' the valley of dry bones '

3 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:
Some Nigerians, when they return from abroad often display some nasty and childish habits when they return home, and these silly and childish attitudes are enlisted below;

1. Unnecessary use of foreign accent to intimidate local people

When some Nigerians living abroad return home, they begin to use these foreign accents to create unwanted scenes. They do this to show people that they are not of the same class. A times when you tell them, you can't understand their statement, they will say "Are u deaf"? The ones that annoy me most are those based in cotonou, Ghana, Uganda, china forming British accent. Honestly these ones need serious psychiatric evaluation.

2. High level of Pride

Living abroad is not a guarantee that one will be richer than Dangote or Mike Adenuga so why the overbloated ego? Some will even make it look like they're doing you a favour talking to you. This is common with the ladies.

3. Unnecessary show off

I know of some Nigerians who have lived their whole life abroad and are still able to be casual. But for some, they will wear socks and jacket under the intense sun and will be screaming to people's hearing that they regret coming to Nigeria.

4. They condemn our local dish

When a friend of mine returned from Canada, he told me to take him to a restaurant because he went hungry and I was elated he still has passion for our local dish. I took him to one fascinating local restaurant at Ibadan. When they served us pounded yam/egusi soup complimented with all sorts of assorted bush meats. Instead of eating the meal, he walked out from the restaurant telling me he couldn't eat that shiiit . Honestly, I was embarrassed by his comment.

5. They demand for undue Respect

Some of them are so proud that they will give you this proud look because they feel you want to beg pounds or dollars from them. I really don't blame them, after all it is what they experience often when they visit home as friends, family and even enemies want to benefit from their pocket.

6. Hotel becomes their home

I know most of them prefer lodging in a hotel because they are scared of mosquito bite, non availability of light and other negative factors in their parents' house. Though I wouldn't call this a silly act but I feel staying in your parents' house especially when located in the village will attract more parental blessing.

7. They neglect their old friends

This is common to some abroad based Nigerians. They tend to ignore the friends they left in Nigeria because they feel they have climbed the ladder of greatness. Last year, a very good friend of mine arrived from the UK and what surprised me most was that he refused to come to my house after a week of arrival. I used my church mind to go to his place and he started acting like I came to beg for money. This silly attitude of common with some of them.

8. They condemn our culture and values

It's a pity that some Nigerians are so engrossed with the westerner culture that they view African culture as being fetish and archaic when they returned home. For them to prostrate for elders and even their parents is like displaying stupidity act. This is nothing but outright nonsense.

I think it has to do with the mindset of the persons involved. I agree some of the things you wrote there may be true while others may not be true. You may need to see things from the other person's perspective before drawing a final conclusion.

My greatest fear when returning to Nigeria some years ago was security. I believe you must have heard of cases when robbers visited people' houses when they returned from abroad. Unknown to me, my family was making plan for me to live inside a military barrack for that purpose.

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Iko5000: 1:57pm On Jun 07, 2016
OP I'm guilty of number 6 and even my family support that , so there . [size=12pt][/size]
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by blackprowler: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:
Some Nigerians, when they return from abroad often display some nasty and childish habits when they return home, and these silly and childish attitudes are enlisted below;

1. Unnecessary use of foreign accent to intimidate local people

When some Nigerians living abroad return home, they begin to use these foreign accents to create unwanted scenes. They do this to show people that they are not of the same class. A times when you tell them, you can't understand their statement, they will say "Are u deaf"? The ones that annoy me most are those based in cotonou, Ghana, Uganda, china forming British accent. Honestly these ones need serious psychiatric evaluation.

2. High level of Pride

Living abroad is not a guarantee that one will be richer than Dangote or Mike Adenuga so why the overbloated ego? Some will even make it look like they're doing you a favour talking to you. This is common with the ladies.

3. Unnecessary show off

I know of some Nigerians who have lived their whole life abroad and are still able to be casual. But for some, they will wear socks and jacket under the intense sun and will be screaming to people's hearing that they regret coming to Nigeria.

4. They condemn our local dish

When a friend of mine returned from Canada, he told me to take him to a restaurant because he went hungry and I was elated he still has passion for our local dish. I took him to one fascinating local restaurant at Ibadan. When they served us pounded yam/egusi soup complimented with all sorts of assorted bush meats. Instead of eating the meal, he walked out from the restaurant telling me he couldn't eat that shiiit . Honestly, I was embarrassed by his comment.

5. They demand for undue Respect

Some of them are so proud that they will give you this proud look because they feel you want to beg pounds or dollars from them. I really don't blame them, after all it is what they experience often when they visit home as friends, family and even enemies want to benefit from their pocket.

6. Hotel becomes their home

I know most of them prefer lodging in a hotel because they are scared of mosquito bite, non availability of light and other negative factors in their parents' house. Though I wouldn't call this a silly act but I feel staying in your parents' house especially when located in the village will attract more parental blessing.

7. They neglect their old friends

This is common to some abroad based Nigerians. They tend to ignore the friends they left in Nigeria because they feel they have climbed the ladder of greatness. Last year, a very good friend of mine arrived from the UK and what surprised me most was that he refused to come to my house after a week of arrival. I used my church mind to go to his place and he started acting like I came to beg for money. This silly attitude of common with some of them.

8. They condemn our culture and values

It's a pity that some Nigerians are so engrossed with the westerner culture that they view African culture as being fetish and archaic when they returned home. For them to prostrate for elders and even their parents is like displaying stupidity act. This is nothing but outright nonsense.

You have a serious inferiority complex. Me sef I went abroad and I now speak "foneh" - the correct one o. Unfortunately for you, I learnt most of it here over a period of 20 yrs and was able to practice there. I've further improved it right here in Nigeria. If u wan learn, pay money and enrol and I will teach you. Just bring along Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary There are many people who learn it here only for incapable people to gather and emotionally blackmail them as you're doing here (and I'm certain you'll get enough supporters). Have you heard Onyeka Onwenu speak before? Or Olu Jacobs? Get a life, ok!

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by redcliff: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2016
smellingmenses:
this is so unlike you...what happened NL got to you too?

I hate it when people feel like they have an authority in a certain field and their opinion is fact. Meanwhile they are so ignorant and have no clue. This is not his first time..
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by smellingmenses: 2:00pm On Jun 07, 2016
just pass a lotta crackheads in here....you don't wanna mingle..

redcliff:

I hate it when people feel like they have an authority in a certain field and their opinion is fact. Meanwhile they are so ignorant and have no clue. This is not his first time..
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by dipznano: 2:00pm On Jun 07, 2016
akpamfet:
You didn't add that they always complain and get unnecessarily irritated at the way Nigerians drive and disobey traffic rules....as if that's new to them... undecided
A cousin of mine kept doing that, he only stayed 3 years abroad...

U call 3 years 'only'??

3 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2016
Sanmel:
lol
pls can you explain the meaning of your signature to me? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:

U still dey house na. Even though Ghana na abroad but make u go country like Russia or Ghana, u go miss semo and egusi soup sharp sharp
I mean here in Deutschland cool cool
One plate of Semo is 7€ shocked shocked
grin grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by kellykings84: 2:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
Dat someone complains about driving is not a bad tin. If U too live abroad for a year wit sane environment nd driving, u ll b irritated wit d way Nigerians drive and use d horn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by wristbangle: 2:03pm On Jun 07, 2016
sukkot:
thats that primitive mind you still have brah. you are still stuck in the prehistoric stone-ages spiritually. this is what the bible calls ' the valley of dry bones '

grin continue to eat those premature lamb meat and others processed with laser. Shebi u know cancer is real?
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Ojady(m): 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
The day you go and LIVE in a developed country legally, pay taxes, enjoy basic amenities, where 96.9% of everything works, where people are still in touch with what makes them higher animals, become socially adapted to the way of life there...then and ONLY then...can you come and post such an erroneous piece...
First of, life as a blackman, emphatically as a Nigerian is terribly challenging, for any Nigerian to live in Europe or North America, critical to your survival is how quick you can adapt, shedding most if not all of the Nigerianess you have, which is a hard thing to do...especially if you're over 18...
Now after going through the unimaginable to become a globally civilized person, you think one or two visits to Nigeria is going to just switch a person back to Nigerian again right? Seriously?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by sukkot: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:

grin continue to eat those premature lamb meat and others processed with laser. Shebi u know cancer is real?
continue to eat bat and rat and snake shebi you know ebola and AIDS and leprosy is real right ? grin

3 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by dipznano: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
seunny4lif:
OP forget that Food matter
I dey chop Semo, Eba and Nigerian Jollof rice anyhow for here
My friends no dey joke with me about those food
Where I dey?
Ghana Ghana now grin Abi Ghana no be abroad cool

I dey smell British accent for ur post grin grin
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by martineverest(m): 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2016
Most of the ppl dat display such lifestyle are illegal immigrants or legal immigrants doing illegal business

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by blackprowler: 2:07pm On Jun 07, 2016
Let me continue sef, since Alex Usifo just bagged PhD. Have you heard Alex Usifo (I like to call him Talab Abass) speak before? Or Ramsey Nouah, or Keppy Ekpeyong-Bassey, Wole Soyinka, Gowon. I can't count finish. Have you watched old tapes of how Nigerians spoke English in the '60s and earlier? Nigeria is continually and irrevocably going backward since "Independence" and anyone who tries to measure himself against the better standards we used to uphold is emotionally blackmailed by the massive majority of the backward people

4 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by florrie0110: 2:07pm On Jun 07, 2016
[quote author=redcliff post=46354599]

Stoopid post... and stooopid you[/quoute tongue[quote author=redcliff post=46354599]

Stoopid post... and stooopid you[/quoute. you sef stooooooopid
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by smellingmenses: 2:08pm On Jun 07, 2016
egunmogaji hi
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 2:08pm On Jun 07, 2016
grin grin grin grin
You know init grin
dipznano:

I dey smell British accent for ur post grin grin
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by wristbangle: 2:09pm On Jun 07, 2016
tosyne2much:
Nice write-up oga Wristbangle

But how come I don't do all these despite the fact that I have been to Ghana quite a few number of times ? In fact, I still roll with my guys whom I left in Nigeria and I also patronize our local restaurants to devour eba, amala and the likes.

Guys, click LIKE if you want God to take you abroad this year, other click SHARE if you want to remain in Nigeria and keep enjoying terrorism of Boka Haram, Fulani herdsmen and NDA while they last

Lol. See plenty people liking your post. People wan run leave naija. Chai it is well.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by redcliff: 2:09pm On Jun 07, 2016
smellingmenses:
just pass a lotta crackheads in here....you don't wanna mingle..

Il do that. I just got too engrossed in my anger for this post.

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2016
Ojady:
The day you go and LIVE in a developed country legally, pay taxes, enjoy basic amenities, where 96.9% of everything works, where people are still in touch with what makes them higher animals, become socially adapted to the way of life there...then and ONLY then...can you come and post such an erroneous piece...
First of, life as a blackman, emphatically as a Nigerian is terribly challenging, for any Nigerian to live in Europe or North America, critical to your survival is how quick you can adapt, shedding most if not all of the Nigerianess you have, which is a hard thing to do...especially if you're over 18...
Now after going through the unimaginable to become a globally civilized person, you think one or two visits to Nigeria is going to just switch a person back to Nigerian again right? Seriously?

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by overboard(m): 2:10pm On Jun 07, 2016
I call it symptoms of 'Diasporalysis'.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by wristbangle: 2:11pm On Jun 07, 2016
sukkot:
continue to eat bat and rat and snake shebi you know ebola and AIDS and leprosy is real right ? grin

Werey!! gringrin hahahaha.

Shey I say I dey chop bat, rat and snake ni?

Abeg I no be lalasticlala whey him dey chop peppered snake with stout everyday
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by martineverest(m): 2:12pm On Jun 07, 2016
I see most of dem as fools....i have siblings who have spent more than 25 yrs abroaad.they even speak my native dialect/pidgin more dan i do....their lifestyle is as simple as a,b,c....i've noiticed that d educated and legal working ones live modest lifestyle than d those doing illegal or menial jobs

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by sukkot: 2:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:

Werey!! gringrin hahahaha.

Shey I say I dey chop bat, rat and snake ni?

Abeg I no be lalasticlala whey him dey chop peppered snake with stout everyday
grin grin grin
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by wristbangle: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
seunny4lif:

I mean here in Deutschland cool cool
One plate of Semo is 7€ shocked shocked
grin grin

Ah! 7 pounds for a plate of semo? Shey eran oya dey inside?
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by ted1741: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
You sound extremely jealous and I venture to say that you will probably do the same if not worst if you are privileged to travel out of Nigeria. You make these accusations without actually realizing or factoring lots of health and societal changes the body goes through once you live in a certain environment. A good example, a friend of mine came back, was down to earth, eating, drinking and socializing like he never traveled out before, a simplistic guy. One day, he fell sick with none stop running stomach and almost had heat stroke and had to be rushed back to Canada. The Dr. in Canada after running series of tastes told him he was lucky to be alive because he had malaria, other impurities and serious food poisoning. I also know someone who came and was kidnapped. Experience of most Nigerians who come back on visit is identical, everyone wants to take advantage of you as "Johnny Just Come", the act like Nigerian police, you visit them, wetin you bring come, they visit you, wetin you get. The demand is relentless. So, before you judge, there are genuine security and health reasons for some of the attitudes of the JJCs. When you live in certain area, your body adjusts to it whether heat, cold, pollution etc. Most Nigerians have by default, developed tolerance/immunization for mosquito borne diseases or even dirty water consumption, those abroad do not have such tolerance because of changes in their body. I have a friend who comes home yearly, everytime he showers, the sweat is like one who ran a marathon, once we step outside, his cloths are drenched in mins from sweat. It takes a lot of courage to live abroad and decide to come on a visit not to talk of the cost. I know some Nigerians that live in metropolitan cities within Nig for years without visiting their home towns, some speak with foreign accents eventhoguh they never left the shores of Nig and some rarely visit friends, etc, so, your enumerated offensive characteristics are not peculiar to the "been tos" and next time, don't be quick to judge yeye boy. Come to think about it, if you have ever lived abroad, you will know that social norms there are quite different and visiting is very rarely done. Everybody is busy all day to the point you may not see your next door neighbor day in day out, talk less of visiting. So, watch your mouth bros.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by 1metre: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
The accent tin should be ruled out, most guys from nigeria staying abroad are working with white people and remember our intonation is so deep that when we speak they find it difficult to understand you so you must try to imitate them to enable them understand you when u speak, if you work in such environment for so long, u are susceptible to have developed a fake accent. e no easy bro ooo

6 Likes

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by SuperSupremo(m): 2:18pm On Jun 07, 2016
wristbangle:

Ah! 7 pounds for a plate of semo? Shey eran oya dey inside?
open your eye abegi

Its euros rather

btw do they chop pounds for Netherland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Two Nigerian Men Fight Inside Airplane (Video) / Man Crashes Car And Leaves Girlfriend To Burn To Death In New York / Vehicle Climbs Lagos Pedestrian Bridge, One Feared Dead (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.