Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad (57647 Views)

Edo Indigenes Who Were Killed In Accident On Return From Spain, Identified. PICS / Photos Of 8 Edo Indigenes Who Died In Fatal Accident On Return From Spain / "My Sister From Abroad Survives Fatal Accident On Way To Benin" (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by saintkeppy(m): 10:28am On Jun 22, 2016
BlessedFellow01:

I think it has to do with the mindset of the persons involved. I agree some of the things you wrote there may be true while others may not be true. You may need to see things from the other person's perspective before drawing a final conclusion.

My greatest fear when returning to Nigeria some years ago was security. I believe you must have heard of cases when robbers visited people' houses when they returned from abroad. Unknown to me, my family was making plan for me to live inside a military barrack for that purpose.
. Which kind military barrack?, ahbi u dey return to Maiduguri from abroad?
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by saintkeppy(m): 11:10am On Jun 22, 2016
manny4life:
@ronald4lif couldn't have said it any better and more importantly the friend part. It's hard to interact with a friend residing in Nigeria who just want to be friends other than feeling some sort of entitlement to the friendship. I distanced myself from two friends, it's not about pride, but anytime I say hello whether on FB or Whatsapp, they begin to tell their life story and the next thing is money. This went on for a few year and at some point, end of last year, I realized it was not worth it, so even when they say hello, I don't respond because the hello is about money. Why can't I laugh and joke with my buddies without you telling me how you need money for this and that.
. Why can't u just lend a nigga a helpin'hand if u have the capacity, u can as well talk some sense to him by encouring him into venturing into biz, then see on how to raise him something substantial(capital) to start the biz, this way u have successfully laid to rest the issue of money beggin' disturbances. If u have the Grace to give, Select few of ur trusted friends &empower them in ur own lil way u can, teach 'em how to fish rather than givin'em fish all the time. GOD Blesses a cheerful Giver. Human Capital Dev./Empowerment is also a Service to Humanity.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by djlaqua91(m): 1:31pm On Jun 22, 2016
@ wristbangle , please change this topic to "Some Nigerians". Don't generalize. "He who casts the first stone.....
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 22, 2016
saintkeppy:
. Which kind military barrack?, ahbi u dey return to Maiduguri from abroad?

I dey tell you wetin happen grin My family is based in the south not Maiduguri.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by bukolacole(m): 4:44am On Jun 23, 2016
vizkiz:
lol, when my uncle came back the first thing he did was finish the whole plate of pounded yam in front of him... So remove the part where you mentioned "they condemn local dishes" na that one them miss pass cheesy
. May God bless you, don't mind the guy.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by bukolacole(m): 5:47am On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=wristbangle post=46332123]Some Nigerians, when they return from abroad often display some nasty and childish habits when they return home, and these silly and childish attitudes are enlisted below;

1. Unnecessary use of foreign accent to intimidate local people

When some Nigerians living abroad return home, they begin to use these foreign accents to create unwanted scenes. They do this to show people that they are not of the same class. A times when you tell them, you can't understand their statement, they will say "Are u deaf"? The ones that annoy me most are those based in cotonou, Ghana, Uganda, china forming British accent. Honestly these ones need serious psychiatric evaluation.

2. High level of Pride

Living abroad is not a guarantee that one will be richer than Dangote or Mike Adenuga so why the overbloated ego? Some will even make it look like they're doing you a favour talking to you. This is common with the ladies.

3. Unnecessary show off

I know of some Nigerians who have lived their whole life abroad and are still able to be casual. But for some, they will wear socks and jacket under the intense sun and will be screaming to people's hearing that they regret coming to Nigeria.

4. They condemn our local dish

When a friend of mine returned from Canada, he told me to take him to a restaurant because he went hungry and I was elated he still has passion for our local dish. I took him to one fascinating local restaurant at Ibadan. When they served us pounded yam/egusi soup complimented with all sorts of assorted bush meats. Instead of eating the meal, he walked out from the restaurant telling me he couldn't eat that shiiit . Honestly, I was embarrassed by his comment.

5. They demand for undue Respect

Some of them are so proud that they will give you this proud look because they feel you want to beg pounds or dollars from them. I really don't blame them, after all it is what they experience often when they visit home as friends, family and even enemies want to benefit from their pocket.

6. Hotel becomes their home

I know most of them prefer lodging in a hotel because they are scared of mosquito bite, non availability of light and other negative factors in their parents' house. Though I wouldn't call this a silly act but I feel staying in your parents' house especially when located in the villagej will attract more parental blessing.

7. They neglect their old friends

This is common to some abroad based Nigerians. They tend to ignore the friends they left in Nigeria because they feel they have climbed the ladder of greatness. Last year, a very good friend of mine arrived from the UK and what surprised me most was that he refused to come to my house after a week of arrival. I used my church mind to go to his place and he started acting like I came to beg for money. This silly attitude of common with some of them.

8. They condemn our culture and values

It's a pity that some Nigerians are so engrossed with the westerner culture that they view African culture as being fetish and archaic when they returned home. For them to prostrate for elders and even their parents is like displaying stupidity act. This is nothing but outright nonsense. Am so sorry sir, but if I may say, you are a victim of envy and frustration. The fear of medical bill will make you stay safe and secure, two nights at Houston Methodist
Hospital will round up to at least $5000. When you convert that, you will receive sense sir.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 1:02am On Jun 25, 2016
Sanmel:
It's self-explanatory.
yes ma.
I thought you had a deeper and mystical interpretation to it.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 25, 2016
Why do you care so much about there behavior and not change your perception about people abroad some say they don't call how many of you do even call them or ask how is everything why are people writing stupid things like this. Why not care about yourself first than bugging others.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 05, 2016
Amefrica:

Haha just seeing this bro. I can relate to everything you just said. Good for me, there are like 4 different big parking spaces (free). US is expensive for sure, that is why I'm in love with Canada..
maybe you live in a small town or city. if you move to big citiez in canada, parking is scarce and pricey except you park at a mall or walmart and walk 30 minutes to your destination. There are free parking in very small city US too.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
princey83:

maybe you live in a small town or city. if you move to big citiez in canada, parking is scarce and pricey except you park at a mall or walmart and walk 30 minutes to your destination. There are free parking in very small city US too.

At my workplace, was where I was referring to. We have. Of course, there are metre parking around the city.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2016
Amefrica:

At my workplace, was where I was referring to. We have. Of course, there are metre parking around the city.
most workplace in america and canada offer free parking with the exception of some big city downtown offices and hospitals, and communal services areas like an airport.
Ronald4life is working in a CBD. That is why parking would take half his pay cheque. Same applies to big cities all over Europe, Africa, US and Canada. if he was working outside CBD, he would be easiily find free parking too.
And i dont think the US is more expensive than Canada. The reverse is the case. You know people cross the bother to US to buy stuffs lke booze, cigarrete, cloths, cars, postage and even toothpaste.lol. cost of housing(buying or renting) is cheaper in the US too, mobile phone and internet is cheaper too. Flying accross the US is cheaper too. hoes are cheaper too grin. ....i can go on and on. An advantage canada has over the US is free health care.
Re: 8 Disgusting Habits Displayed By Nigerians When They Return From Abroad by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 26, 2016
I love this

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Two Nigerian Men Fight Inside Airplane (Video) / Man Crashes Car And Leaves Girlfriend To Burn To Death In New York / Vehicle Climbs Lagos Pedestrian Bridge, One Feared Dead (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.