Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,589 members, 7,801,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA (63416 Views)

Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana / Journey To Ghana By Road And My 1 Week Experience Here / 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by goodforsomthing: 7:40pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
Hello guys,

With the current situation of things in the country, I am thinking of shifting base to Ghana for now and watch how things pan out.

I have some questions I'd love travel experts in the house to help me tackle (if you currently leave in Ghana, all the better for me)

1. What documents will I be in need of in the course of this travel.

2. What's the estimated rate for getting good accommodation in Accra - like for over a six month period?

3. We have heard a lot about the power situation over there... is it really all that stable? (because I am into internet marketing).

4. How friendly and peaceful are the folks over there? (very essential as I no like 'kata kata' any day grin)

Please I'd love people familiar with life in Accra, Ghana to drop as much details as possible, so I can make an informed decision and know how to prepare myself. I'd be really grateful for your valued input.

God bless in anticipation.

P.S. Please no snide remarks/comments on this thread, please. Thanks

Pls start going fast fast so that will we know how many will remain. Naijabet man say so
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Kaira333: 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2016
Ghana must go ooooo
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by holyword: 7:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
If all of us run away from 9ja,is it boko haram that will stay put. many that ve traveled refused to come back to 9jria rather they ve naturalised there. oh God,send to us somebody like jerry rawling to nigeria. buhari that is playing holy for now,the time another president will enter and expose his evil deeds,you will shout also.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Consiglier: 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
onatisi:
If you can raise 3.5m ,then move to Togo instead .
Why Togo
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Emmaesty(f): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
Rolly83:
@OP,your plan your business!! I make close to $2700 a month doing one online business or the other...So how much u make doesn't matter,before relocating always think about the pros n cons instead of just jumping in a bus n say you're relocating without proper research.Enough said!!
Please what kind of online business is it? Can you please educate me cause I feel like I'm wasting my 3.5gb/month on less profitable things

12 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by evy1(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
livingoracle:

What they didn't tell you is that feeding in Ghana is hellish. Trust me, you will remember your homeland. A can of Amstel Malt is 4 Ghana Cedis, can you beat that?. Bathroom slippers is 4 Ghana Cedis, Big Eva Bottle water is 2.5 Ghana Cedis. I can list it on and on. Ghana is not what it used to be, things has changed. I don't like Ghana and I mean no insult. Nigeria economy is still very much prettier than that of Ghana. The only country you can compare Nigeria with in Africa is South Africa and I stand to be corrected and open to be instructed. Just prepare to eat their Okra soup with Tilapia fish, Palm nut soup, Kenke, Banku, Tuna fish, etc. O boy, naija food cost wella. You go miss home die, couple with the sun eh! Kwame and Nana go use you eat their breakfast in the morning, even Kojo and Mensa go do fake resident permit for you if you wan open bank account there. Naija boys don spoil GH. Beg no go Circle, Osun, Kole Gono, Labaddin beach, Adabraka, etc for night oo! Achama is a dangerous place for a cool headed guy like you. Let me greet you in a Phanti language, "Akwaaba!".
grin ;DBy the time OP withdraw 50 cedis come spend am,no fit account for wetin him.buy
Bro Ghana is not what it use to be before.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2016
Consiglier:

Why Togo
Low cost of living,good banking system ,plenty of fun.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
evy1:
grin ;DBy the time OP withdraw 50 cedis come spend am,no fit account for wetin him.buy
Bro Ghana is not what it use to be before.
Accra is damm damm expensive .

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Onlymewakacum(m): 7:59pm On Jun 16, 2016
Op. hope u r not mkin a decision without thinking of the flip side? Wat if the grass isn't greener on the other side? I know of a man that ran to Ghana lukin for greener pastures but only saw black pastures in Ghana and had to run bck to Nigeria like the proverbial prodigal son.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
Thanks for the info and input. I know why you are skeptical about my going there. What I do can get me paid anywhere in the world. Even if every other fails, Fiverr is one of my sources of income. It brings in at least $1k every month. Are you saying that will not be enough to live in peace and comfortably in Accra (which I think your 'fear' stems from)

Sup man. Might we pair up. I'm thinking about the idea too. I do internet marketing too
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Theoflux(m): 8:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
No sir. I am not moving out of Nigeria because of power supply. Things have become too unstable.

Thanks fir your input anyways.
If no be money yab man, Naija is the best despite the stroky power supply. Make money by God's grace and hustle here in Nigeria and you'll know the benefits beign a Nigerian and living in Nigeria is.
If I lie, ask Dangote and the rest. But I like your style sha, u no go die in silence; we no know broom wey dey kill fly.
I wish you all the best my guy. Consult elders(wise people) and a powerful man of God for more councelling.
Remember, "life na Pawpaw."

7 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Lucasbible: 8:11pm On Jun 16, 2016
If you are earning dollars and electricity is not your problem then why Ghana ? People are installing solar panels on their roofs and working from home in Lekki and they shop for all they need at jumia and konga and even order food online. Even ashawo can be gotten from badoo these days.

The only travel you should is tourism. Last i check...cost of living is relatively cheaper in Nigeria compared to Ghana.

I got friends there but its a rat race everywhere.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 16, 2016
The problem with most people is that they like saying bad things about other things that are not theirs. Suddenly everyone has this friend who went to GH and ran back. If this thread were about comparing just plainly comparing naija and Ghana, these same people will have friends who ran away from naija to Ghana and are living beautiful well. Smh

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by gambus007(m): 8:19pm On Jun 16, 2016
DaVinciii:
1. To travel to Ghana, you need only your international passport.

2. Just like in Nigeria, Gh landlords generally won't take 6 months rent. Most of them will ask you to rent for 3 years upfront, 2 years if you're lucky. Unless you will stay in a serviced apartment which is way more expensive.
When you get to Ghana, just walk along the streets of Accra you will see small sign boards with phone nos of accomodation agents and the costs of the apartments. I can't say how much for the apartments because I don't know what you like. visit www.tonaton.com (website like olx) and search for apartments. Don't worry, Gh is not like naija, 98% of listings there are legit. You can search here from naija and make your arrangements before coming.

3. When I first came here we had 24/7 power, but since like last year, the economy became very bad and light started NEPAing. Although unlike naija, they actually released timetable online so you will know when the light will come and go in your area. Well, since November last year, the light offs have stopped. there's now constant light but unlike before, they may take the light for a few hours like twice a week.

4. Ghanaians are friendly. Very friendly but are skeptical about Naija people (understandably).
i disagree with you about Ghanaians bn friendly..they are not.they are individualistic in nature..full of pride.things are very expensive.common coke cola sells for 3.5 cedis (259 nairaland)at rate of 74 to 1 cedis.good accommodation can not be less than 500 cedis per month(175,000naira per month)rate of 74 to 1 cedis.average meal which is less than mama put canteen is around 6cedis to 10 cedis(700 plus)..electricity is stable sha.etc...no security challenge,good transport system.opportunities for business if u look in ward.in conclusion Nigeria is better than ghana my opinion.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 8:24pm On Jun 16, 2016
adrianstylez:
The problem with most people is that they like saying bad things about other things that are not theirs. Suddenly everyone has this friend who went to GH and ran back. If this thread were about comparing just plainly comparing naija and Ghana, these same people will have friends who ran away from naija to Ghana and are living beautiful well. Smh
alas! Your head is there!!
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by MrCEO69(m): 8:26pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
Hello guys,

With the current situation of things in the country, I am thinking of shifting base to Ghana for now and watch how things pan out.

I have some questions I'd love travel experts in the house to help me tackle (if you currently leave in Ghana, all the better for me)

1. What documents will I be in need of in the course of this travel.

2. What's the estimated rate for getting good accommodation in Accra - like for over a six month period?

3. We have heard a lot about the power situation over there... is it really all that stable? (because I am into internet marketing).

4. How friendly and peaceful are the folks over there? (very essential as I no like 'kata kata' any day grin)

Please I'd love people familiar with life in Accra, Ghana to drop as much details as possible, so I can make an informed decision and know how to prepare myself. I'd be really grateful for your valued input.

God bless in anticipation.

P.S. Please no snide remarks/comments on this thread, please. Thanks
This Guy v said it all:.
DaVinciii:
1. To travel to Ghana, you need only your international passport.

2. Just like in Nigeria, Gh landlords generally won't take 6 months rent. Most of them will ask you to rent for 3 years upfront, 2 years if you're lucky. Unless you will stay in a serviced apartment which is way more expensive.
When you get to Ghana, just walk along the streets of Accra you will see small sign boards with phone nos of accomodation agents and the costs of the apartments. I can't say how much for the apartments because I don't know what you like. visit www.tonaton.com (website like olx) and search for apartments. Don't worry, Gh is not like naija, 98% of listings there are legit. You can search here from naija and make your arrangements before coming.

3. When I first came here we had 24/7 power, but since like last year, the economy became very bad and light started NEPAing. Although unlike naija, they actually released timetable online so you will know when the light will come and go in your area. Well, since November last year, the light offs have stopped. there's now constant light but unlike before, they may take the light for a few hours like twice a week.

4. Ghanaians are friendly. Very friendly but are skeptical about Naija people (understandably).
As for u na girls go kill u!
celestialAgent:

Light is good here in Accra but the bill is expensive.

Accommodation is reasonably cheap if you earn in Cedi. It also depend on area.

Ghanians are friendly. Lot of girls..

Good road, reasonable security level.

And lastly, the sun is hot here..
In general GH is a cool place if u v #MONEY if not the exchange rate will kill u! 1k is now 11cedi. Wat a pity.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by grandstar(m): 8:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
Venzal:
No sir. I am not moving out of Nigeria because of power supply. Things have become too unstable.

Thanks fir your input anyways.

Let me guess, as a marketer, the limit of international spending on cards monthly is a nuisance.

Also, the horrible payoneer exchange rate.

Also , a Nigerian address can scare off buyers. I use Britain in my autoresponder.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Anglovel: 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
Accra is a tough place .ghana is hard . Ghana is good for artisans and gainfully employed ppl. But for what the guy says he wants to do,he may run back to naija after sometime. There are better countries than Ghana which will suit him better but I think he should go there for week and talk to people on ground there I lived ther for 5yrs as a rtd magt bought my own house in east legon opened a large restaurant/bar sent all my 5kis top a religious sch in accra relocated back to naija in 2011 Y Ghanaians can be nicer than nig if u hve dollars to spend n once u r broke,they hve NO mercy for a Nigerian They hate us pls no offence n they can robe u blind n even kill u! I left my Nissan Pathfinder JeeP locked wth d keys wth me n in under d care of a ghanaian Lawyer(am an old lawyer by d way)he broke into d jeep,sold it n prayed I never return to claim my jeep,its now wth d CID hq accra for investigation,d lawyer confessed to selling my jeep n d CID are yet to prosecute him or recover my jeep,its one whole year now! Dats just putting it mildly,pls my son don't relocate to ghana just visit n do business time to time from Naila plsssss. My kids r schooling there since they r fluent in Twi language bt me,Never! I visit monthly n enjoy farming here in lugbe abuja as for ur ICT business u r better off here because u will have a huge clientelle here infact don't invest heavily there because u will come back empty handed!forget abt babes,light etc pls They Hate Nigerians Period! Be very careful Ghanaians r full of Guile"Slow n Steady!Good luck! u

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Myde4naija(m): 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
Some people enjoy running away from problems. I have a south African friend that want to come to Nigeria because of high crime rate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Barywhyte(m): 8:42pm On Jun 16, 2016
I can't find any meaningful reason why OP is running away. He hasn't stated a clear reason for that. Harsh economy is not a sound reason to run away fr a country where u make $1k per mnth from just one of ur online bizness, which means you are making close to 500k naira per month right now. ( I doubt that tho). I don't think economy or whatever can be hash 4 someone making such amount of money in Naija @ d moment.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Xtanixlax(m): 8:42pm On Jun 16, 2016
U will be needn a very gud halogen lamp to be seing "dem" in d afternoon. Buy one on ur way
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by gambus007(m): 8:47pm On Jun 16, 2016
Anglovel:

Accra is a tough place .ghana is hard . Ghana is good for artisans and gainfully employed ppl. But for what the guy says he wants to do,he may run back to naija after sometime. There are better countries than Ghana which will suit him better but I think he should go there for week and talk to people on ground there I lived ther for 5yrs as a rtd magt bought my own house in east legon opened a large restaurant/bar sent all my 5kis top a religious sch in accra relocated back to naija in 2011 Y Ghanaians can be nicer than nig if u hve dollars to spend n once u r broke,they hve NO mercy for a Nigerian They hate us pls no offence n they can robe u blind n even kill u! I left my Nissan Pathfinder JeeP locked wth d keys wth me n in under d care of a ghanaian Lawyer(am an old lawyer by d way)he broke into d jeep,sold it n prayed I never return to claim my jeep,its now wth d CID hq accra for investigation,d lawyer confessed to selling my jeep n d CID are yet to prosecute him or recover my jeep,its one whole year now! Dats just putting it mildly,pls my son don't relocate to ghana just visit n do business time to time from Naila plsssss. My kids r schooling there since they r fluent in Twi language bt me,Never! I visit monthly n enjoy farming here in lugbe abuja as for ur ICT business u r better off here because u will have a huge clientelle here infact don't invest heavily there because u will come back empty handed!forget abt babes,light etc pls They Hate Nigerians Period! Be very careful Ghanaians r full of Guile"Slow n Steady!Good luck! u
Thank you bro...people think ghana is ok but i keep saying it nigeria is better than ghana.i remember one landlord telling me he hate nigerian.without nigeria product ghana is nothing.i dont b fool by electricity and co.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ekefre4(m): 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
AzontoGhost:

3000 Ghanaian cedis = 152502.5882
Nigerian naira
That's not correct sir. N10000 will give you about Ghc 120. Thats just an official crap. Even if you see that amount when you use your atm card here you can't get that much because of the obnoxious bank charges since bubu took over
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ekefre4(m): 8:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
celestialAgent:
you are welcome.

I see you asked about exchange rate, don't be misleaded bro. The exchange rate is not friendly presently.

Yes, it used to be as AzontoGhost said (3000cedi = 152k) but now, the ish is different.

The truth is: as Naira fall against major currencies, it also fall against cedi.

3000 cedi now is equivalent to #270,000 (Withdrawal via ATM).

It sell cheaper at parallel market. You may get 3000cedi for 260,000 if you buy from local money changers.

Your best bet now is MoneyGram (Although ristricted to use for transfer now). Money gram charge 72naira to one cedi. And with that 3000cedi will cost you 216000k.

Caveat, do not rely on exchange rate provided by Google. It is inaccurate at the moment.

Reporting life from Accra

Peace.
Oga which bank do you use? I'm also in Accra and that's not correct @ all
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ponti93(m): 8:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
onatisi:
One thing u must realize is that moving out of Nigeria because of power supply is not a good reason. Because almost every country in the world have constant power supply ,power supply is the least on the worry list of 98% of countries work wide as it is considered a normal natural thing. With your profession,I think Togo will be ur best bet.
sir plz why do you think togo is better?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by bank2k4real(m): 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
AzontoGhost:

3000 Ghanaian cedis = 152502.5882
Nigerian naira

Pls ooo..as for the exchange rate
Its way different from what you see online

If you are withdrawing from the atm with your naija atm..you get 10 cedis to 1000 naira but if you are chaning at the border then 11 cedis to 1000 naira...pls take note at op

So if you go with 100k now...you getting either 1000 cedis or 1100 cedis

I do biz between naija ,togo and ghana so I know a lot...check my signature below

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by DisGuy: 8:56pm On Jun 16, 2016
gambus007:

i disagree with you about Ghanaians bn friendly..they are not.they are individualistic in nature..full of pride.things are very expensive.common coke cola sells for 3.5 cedis (259 nairaland)at rate of 74 to 1 cedis.good accommodation can not be less than 500 cedis per month(175,000naira per month)rate of 74 to 1 cedis.average meal which is less than mama put canteen is around 6cedis to 10 cedis(700 plus)..electricity is stable sha.etc...no security challenge,good transport system.opportunities for business if u look in ward.in conclusion Nigeria is better than ghana my opinion.

better electricity, no security problem, good transport links, peaceful and good biz opps

but Nigeria is still better ? undecided

there must be a big factor
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2016
Anglovel:

Oga ,you are wrong . Ghannians are very hospitable and nice but they have had thousands or even millions of bad experiences with Nigerians. Lets focus on why they react negatively to new Nigerians they are not sure of instead of calling them bad
why is it that Ghana prisons is brimming with Nigerians? Why not togolese or other nationals ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2016
livingoracle:

What they didn't tell you is that feeding in Ghana is hellish. Trust me, you will remember your homeland. A can of Amstel Malt is 4 Ghana Cedis, can you beat that?. Bathroom slippers is 4 Ghana Cedis, Big Eva Bottle water is 2.5 Ghana Cedis. I can list it on and on. Ghana is not what it used to be, things has changed. I don't like Ghana and I mean no insult. Nigeria economy is still very much prettier than that of Ghana. The only country you can compare Nigeria with in Africa is South Africa and I stand to be corrected and open to be instructed. Just prepare to eat their Okra soup with Tilapia fish, Palm nut soup, Kenke, Banku, Tuna fish, etc. O boy, naija food cost wella. You go miss home die, couple with the sun eh! Kwame and Nana go use you eat their breakfast in the morning, even Kojo and Mensa go do fake resident permit for you if you wan open bank account there. Naija boys don spoil GH. Beg no go Circle, Osun, Kole Gono, Labaddin beach, Adabraka, etc for night oo! Achama is a dangerous place for a cool headed guy like you. Let me greet you in a Phanti language, "Akwaaba!".
What you are experiencing is just culture shock and adapting. It's the same everywhere tho it varies, the same way you will say things are hard in ghana is the same thing in Nigeria. Things have become expensive too. You can hardly find good food to eat. The only quickie meal is Indomie, if you want to go higher usually swallow like small or semi eba or fast food junk etc. Security is so not it. Even by day you gas shine eye. It's the same thing. But that should not discourse him. If he is sure of what he wants to go and do there

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ponti93(m): 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2016
onatisi:

Low cost of living,good banking system ,plenty of fun.
can u giv us tips of how to relocate
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 9:05pm On Jun 16, 2016
ronald4lif:

3years upfront rent. WTF is that. shocked
like landlords don't demand 2years in Lagos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Ten Most Notorious Neighbourhoods In Lagos / Ada Onyilokwu Nigerian, Dies In London (photo) / NNEWI - The Small Town Of The Super Rich By Forbes Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.