Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA (63470 Views)

Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana / Journey To Ghana By Road And My 1 Week Experience Here / 10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by jessica23: 6:30am On Jun 17, 2016
@ Onatisi and V0lvo, how about hair making (fixing, braids etc)? My younger brother is considering relocating his business to a nearby African country and Ghana seems to be first on his list, what would you advise?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 6:43am On Jun 17, 2016
jessica23:
@ Onatisi and V0lvo, how about hair making (fixing, braids etc)? My younger brother is considering relocating his business to a nearby African country and Ghana seems to be first on his list, what would you advise?
If he is good and ready to pay his dues then he will eventually scale through , outside Nigeria there is no rushing to be a millionaire within 3 months unless the person wants to end up dead or jailed. So if he is ready to climb the ladder patiently and legally then Ghana is good for him ,but have u considered Gambia too? Generally a good African male hairdresser will make it in whichever country he finds himself . Tell him to visit first,talk to hairdressers,he shouldn't be proud and must be ready to prove his skills. He will make it

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Fury007: 7:12am On Jun 17, 2016
I am a Nigerian, i was transferred to Accra by a Nigerian company... and i have over 6 years experience residing in Ghana.

Pros:
1. Stronger govt institutions
2. Better security
3. Stable power supply

Cons:
1. Higher cost of living than Nigeria.
Illustration:
petrol sells for 3.64 cedis per litre, that is about 350 naira per litre.
Electricity tariff is so high that some small businesses have collapsed.
Most items are more expensive in Ghana than in Nigeria when you do the conversion from cedi to naira ( i only buy a few things in Ghana, i buy most of the items i need when i travel to Nigeria. Even my Ghanaian colleagues give me money most times when i travel to Nigeria, asking me to please buy several items for them from Nigeria). Naira has far more purchasing power!

2. Many Ghanaians do not like Nigerians because they feel Nigerians are domineering. It's like the annoyance u av for a domineering "big-ger" brother. Don't be deceived by the slow and steady xter.. it's a guile.. you can be had.
You may be loved for the money you bring, after which the love disappears.
Nigerians (both sexes) have more love from Ghanaian women than their men because we are lively and usually show a higher sense of family camaraderie.. some responsibility. Some say it's because we spend better than their men smiley

In conclusion, seeing is believing. Nothing beats experience.

If you earn in dollars, you would find both Ghana and Nigeria quite nice to stay. If you earn in the local currency, Nigeria is more probable a better place to live.

In short, its all about the Benjamins.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by komek(m): 7:37am On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:

This calculation is misleading and wrong. I dont want to sound pessimistic about the guy moving to Ghana ,but I think it is advisable he goes to Ghana for a week before moving and of which I am sure he will change his mind. I am off to my politics section

Good one. That country is nor economic friendly at all.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 7:47am On Jun 17, 2016
grin

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by onatisi(m): 7:48am On Jun 17, 2016
komek:

Good one. That country is nor economic friendly at all.
but one thing I have come to realize is that it isn't about where you are that matters but who you are and what you are
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 17, 2016
iamord:

What you are experiencing is just culture shock and adapting. It's the same everywhere tho it varies, the same way you will say things are hard in ghana is the same thing in Nigeria. Things have become expensive too. You can hardly find good food to eat. The only quickie meal is Indomie, if you want to go higher usually swallow like small or semi eba or fast food junk etc. Security is so not it. Even by day you gas shine eye. It's the same thing. But that should not discourse him. If he is sure of what he wants to go and do there

You dont know what you're saying,things used to be way cheaper than this during kuffor's (of blessed soul) rule Then mahamar came and made life difficult for ghanians.
The price of everything from water to electricity increased over 150%. nigerians were okay with this because the naira became even more stronger than the cedis now buhari came which his stubbornness, the Naira cannot even compete with ordinary backyard cedis. I'm so ashamed of west Africa. I see now that Nigeria is falling. An economy of 180million people cant even compete with that of 25million people.
Sad really.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 17, 2016
Fury007:
I am a Nigerian, i was transferred to Accra by a Nigerian company... and i have over 6 years experience residing in Ghana.

Pros:
2. Better security
3. Stable power supply

Cons:
Illustration:
Most items are more expensive in Ghana than in Nigeria when you do the conversion from cedi to naira ( i only buy a few things in Ghana, i buy most of the items i need when i travel to Nigeria. Even my Ghanaian colleagues give me money most times when i travel to Nigeria, asking me to please buy several items for them from Nigeria). Naira has far more purchasing power!

2. Many Ghanaians do not like Nigerians because they feel Nigerians are domineering. It's like the annoyance u av for a domineering "big-ger" brother. Don't be deceived by the slow and steady xter.. it's a guile.. you can be had.
Nigerians (both sexes) have more love from Ghanaian women than their men because we are lively and usually show a higher sense of family camaraderie.. some responsibility. Some say it's because we spend better than their men smiley

If you earn in dollars, you would find both Ghana and Nigeria quite nice to stay. If you earn in the local currency, Nigeria is more probable a better place to live.

This is the unfiltered truth. The only good thing about ghana is constant power, which is now bloody expensive.
Life is better in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by komek(m): 8:01am On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:
but one thing I have come to realize is that it isn't about where you are that matters but who you are and what you are

A plate of rice that will not satisfy u will cost u about 5GH which is over 600naira. Bottle water that they sell for 50naira here is about 1GH 1p. Which is over 130naira. If u now move down to villages like Nkwakwa, Abetifi , etc...u will just die of HBP...
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by coachwilcox(m): 8:15am On Jun 17, 2016
Fury007:

Pros:
2. Better security
3. Stable power supply

Cons:
Illustration:

Glo staff?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 8:19am On Jun 17, 2016
Penisinpenisout:

You dont know what you're saying,things used to be way cheaper than this during kuffors rule. Then mahamar came and made life difficult for ghanians.
The price of everything from water to electricity increased over 150%. nigerians were okay with this because the naira became even more stronger than the cedis now buhari came which his stubbornness, the Naira cannot even compete with ordinary backyard cedis. I'm so ashamed of west Africa. I see now that Nigeria is falling. An economy of 180million people cant even compete with that of 25million people.
Sad really.

On this note I concur 100% . SuperSupremo , I hope you are taking note.. @ Penisinpenisout as a Ghanaian Nigeria I understand both countries and i share similar views. Waste Africa is a big shame and is evident evidently the high level of corruption. Ghana and Nigeria have be disappointing. And this economic crisis we are both experiencing was purposely orchestrated. I saw both coming but we are divided by tribal lines to even come together and reason. But am optimistic that Ghana will pick up and be back on track. The dumsor has eased and there is alot of investment in the power sector. The oil sector is picking up despite the falling price and the country is promoting some ingrown incentives to boost the economy. So am very optimistic
Cedis was never meant to be ordinary but one of the biggest in the world. Same goes to the naira. But the economies have been hijacked by greedy people and the citizens divided and ignorant. It's not about the size of the people but their vision and Zeal to work towards it with the scarce resources available . Which is evident in nkrumahs vision.

7 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by teeghurl(f): 8:19am On Jun 17, 2016
komek:

A plate of rice that will not satisfy u will cost u about 5GH which is over 600naira. Bottle water that they sell for 50naira here is about 1GH 1p. Which is over 130naira. If u now move down to villages like Nkwakwa, Abetifi , etc...u will just die of HBP...
Omo Ghana. Hmmmm undecided
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by V0lv0(f): 8:24am On Jun 17, 2016
Fury007:

Pros:
2. Better security
3. Stable power supply

Cons:
Illustration:

You were spot on with a lot of things but just want to address a few misconceptions.

1. All over the world you will find that women are generally more friendly an excepting to outsiders than their male counterparts. If you go to America, South Africa etc you will find that you will get more "love" from the woman. If a Ghanaian man and a Ghanaian woman went to Nigeria who do you think would get more luv? the women would get more luv from the guys more likely than not. This is the truth and if you travel more you would understand why.

2. Just like you have some Nigerians who hate Ghanaians you will find some Ghanaians who hate Nigerians. That however does not mean every Ghanaian or every Nigerian. I know some Ghanaians who went to Nigeria and had the worst experience ever. Does it mean all Nigerians are bad and that Nigeria is a bad country with bad people? Like I said many Ghanaians tend to be wary of Nigerians because of experiences. It does not mean that we hate you. If you are a good person and you come to Ghana to do legit business or are gainfully employed than you will not suffer or have any issues in Ghana.

5. People should try and be objective and provide proper advice. Everywhere you go you will find some things that are better than your country and some things that are worse than your country. This is why you need to analyse what you want to do first in any country but the best experience is visiting the country itself. Life is tough everywhere and its even tougher in another country if you do not have some steady flow of income and are not legally residing there but if you do than you will enjoy it. This goes for anywhere in the world if you are not legal and don't have steady income you will suffer.

6. Not all Ghanaian women 'love' or are interested in Nigerian men so just becareful because I see a lot of generalisations here. Yes you will find some girls that will like Nigerian men either because they had good experience dating you, bad experience with ghanaian men, want to try something different or the money hungry ones who love the flashy nature and the spending. Those are not the majority so saying Ghanaian women love Nigerian men more than their own men because we feel they are more responsible is a fallacy of the highest order. The reverse is the case besides most women prefer their own men then others so this is normal.

In conclusion Ghana is not heaven. It's still a third world country just like Nigeria but will obviously have some things that are better than Nigeria and some things that are worse. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I always believe that if you are doing okay in your country then unless you can go and do better elsewhere, its better you stay in own country than go and suffer in another country. The good thing about Ghana is that its close to Nigeria but for other people who relocate to far away countries, its not as easy to come back home bearing in mind costs and all.

Btw I was not replying just to you alone just in general.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by achimotan(m): 8:24am On Jun 17, 2016
gambus007:

Thank you bro...people think ghana is ok but i keep saying it nigeria is better than ghana.i remember one landlord telling me he hate nigerian[b].without nigeria product ghana is nothing[/b].i dont b fool by electricity and co.

Which Nigerian products are you talking about?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by grandstar(m): 8:28am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
You were spot on with a couple of that. You into info marketing?
Yes, I want to go onto it full time.

My poor web design skills is a big minus as I am presently having designing a squeeze page. I am going for web design training soon.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 8:31am On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:
what you have said is golden and is what matters.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2016
That's cool bro.

But you really don't need to be going for a web design training. There are lots of toolz out there that can help you simplify the process of building web pages. It's important you focus on the vital aspect which is marketing. You can even outsource the designing of yohr web pages.
grandstar:
Yes, I want to go onto it full time.

My poor web design skills is a big minus as I am presently having designing a squeeze page. I am going for web design training soon.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by phibetakappa: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2016
V0lv0:
You were spot on with a lot of things but just want to address a few misconceptions.

1. All over the world you will find that women are generally more friendly an excepting to outsiders than their male ccounterparts. If you go to America, South Africa etc you will find that you will get more "love" from the woman. If a Ghanaian man and a Ghanaian woman went to Nigeria who do you think would get more luv? the women would get more luv from the guy and more likely than not. This is the truth and if you travel more you would understand why.

2. Just like you have some Nigerians who hate Ghanaians you will find some Ghanaians who hate Nigerians. That however does not mean every Ghanaian or every Nigerian. I know some Ghanaians who went to Nigeria and had the worst experience ever. Does it mean all Nigerians are bad and that Nigeria is a bad country with bad people? Like I said many Ghanaians tend to be wary of Nigerians because of experiences. It does not mean that we hate you. If you are a good person and you come to Ghana to do legit business or are gainfully employed than you will not suffer or have any issues in Ghana.

5. People should try and be objective and provide proper advice. Everywhere you go you will find some things that are better than your country and some things that are worse than your country. This is why you need to analyse what you want to do first in any country but the best experience is visiting the country itself. Life is tough everywhere and its even tougher in another country if you do not have some steady flow of income and are legally residing there than you will enjoy it. This goes for anywhere in the world if you are not legal and don't have study income you will suffer.

6. Not all Ghanaian women 'love' or are interested in Nigerian men so just becareful because I see a lot of generalisations here. Yes you will find some girls that will like Nigerian men either because they had good experience dating you, bad experience with ghanaian men, want to try something different or the money hungry ones who love the flashy nature and the spending. Those are not the majority so saying Ghanaian women love Nigerian men more than their own men because we feel they are more responsible is a fallacy of the highest order. The reverse is the case besides most women prefer their own men then others so this is normal.

In conclusion Ghana is not heaven. Ita still a third world country just like Nigeria but will obviously have some things that are better than Nigeria and some things that are worse. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I always believe that if you are doing okay in your country then unless you can go and for better elsewhere its better you stay in own country than go and suffer in another. The good thing about Ghana is that its close to Nigeria but for other people who relocate to far away countries, its not as easy to come back home bearing in mind costs and all.

Btw I was not replying just to you alone just in general.
V0lv0 are you a Ghanaian? I like what you've written, that's the plain truth.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 8:43am On Jun 17, 2016
Lol. The country has never being this unstable.
SleekAboki:

You would feel at home in GH once you have steady inflow of liquid. I always feel at home in any part of Africa I so decide to experience.

I wonder what you still doing in Naija up till this moment?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Venzal: 8:44am On Jun 17, 2016
Lol. Thanks for the heads up. I will commit what you've said to heart, bro
caprini1:
Dude I've lived in GH,....and it was one day back home in naija,that my eyes cleared after church service at MFM..not kidding.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by V0lv0(f): 9:02am On Jun 17, 2016
phibetakappa:

V0lv0 are you a Ghanaian? I like what you've written, that's the plain truth.
Yes I am a Ghanaian
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 9:08am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
Lol. The country has never being this unstable.
it also affected my biz here. All countries have their pros and con

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by iamord(m): 9:11am On Jun 17, 2016
caprini1:
Dude I've lived in GH,....and it was one day back home in naija,that my eyes cleared after church service at MFM..not kidding.
what was your experience
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by patwilly(m): 9:11am On Jun 17, 2016
How about the price of food, foodstuffs and provisions?
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by declaro(m): 9:18am On Jun 17, 2016
AzontoGhost:

3000 Ghanaian cedis = 152502.5882
Nigerian naira

Please, 3000 Ghana Cedis is not 152502.5882 Naira but your answer is correct on paper. In reality it is between 270000 and 290000 in Naira. Thanks.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by declaro(m): 9:20am On Jun 17, 2016
Venzal:
DaVinciii... I have just gone through a lot of the listings on the website you recommended, and I am really impressed. I now have an exact estimate of what it'd take to move over and be properly settled.

Thanks for your help.

I have one little question though... Like how much in Naira terms is 3k Ghana Cedis? I have tried checking online. I am not getting anything definitive.

Please, 3000 Ghana Cedis is not 152502.5882 Naira but his answer is correct on paper. In reality it is between 270000 and 290000 in Naira. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by V0lv0(f): 9:23am On Jun 17, 2016
Another thing in mind is its not always easy to compare one country to another. If I start comparing and saying price of food in Ghana is way cheaper than South Africa therefore Ghana is better is a fallacy. South Africa has a higher cost of living and thus things will be more expensive but if am in the country legally and am earning an income that is sustainable to meet my environment than I will be be just fine.

what should be considered as well is the money derived from the business/employment you will be making in Ghana. For example if I am working in a company in Ghana and I make 3000 cedi's and I go to South Africa which has a higher cost of living and am earning the same amount in rand equivalent than I wont survive as things are more expensive. Same like I cant relocate from South Africa to Ghana and expect the same salary that I am earning there as the cost of living is cheaper in Ghana. So these are the things you need to consider. The decision you make today does not only affect you but will also affect your future kids etc

Personally the things that I also consider are education, crime and safety, health sector are there good hospitals etc, peace and the people. If for example you do not like the people than you will never ever fully enjoy the country you stay in.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by alaskido(m): 9:41am On Jun 17, 2016
1/ You need your international passport and yellow fever card.
2/ Houses are quite expensive. You have to pay like 2 - 3 years.
3/ Some areas in Ghana are rough but Accra is more peaceful. I worked there for 2 years.
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by ekefre4(m): 9:52am On Jun 17, 2016
WHYUS:

As in about 6wks ago Zenith bank charged me 51k for 500cedis,
Ecobank is about 10k for 100 to 110cedis
Currently I think GTB rate is d best @ 80naira for 1cedi
Unless u won't be getting cash thru ATM withdrawal
I don't do atm here as I generate my income locally. All I do is send money into my naija gtbank acct 4 use when I'm back

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Amajerry83(m): 10:07am On Jun 17, 2016
ACCRA IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE THAT NIGERIA
Re: I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA by Amajerry83(m): 10:08am On Jun 17, 2016
ACCRA IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Ten Most Notorious Neighbourhoods In Lagos / NNEWI - The Small Town Of The Super Rich By Forbes Magazine / Anthony Joshua And Andy Ruiz Jr Meet In Saudi Arabia (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.