Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Dstv A Fraud? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dstv A Fraud? (2394 Views)

Alibaba Says Nollywood Was Built With Money Gotten From Fraud / Star Millionaire Game Show Is A Fraud / Hitv A Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv A Fraud? by phreakabit(m): 11:13pm On Aug 26, 2009
HOW COME DSTV KEEP PUTTING UP SPANISH LA LIGA AND EPL ADVERTS EVEN WHEN THEY KNOW THEY WOULD NOT SHOW THESE MATCHES THEY ADVERTISE. ALL THEY DO IS ADVERTISE IT AND THEN ON MATCH DAY THEY TELEVISE IT ONLY ON SS3 WHICH WAS INITIALLY AVAILABLE TO NIGERIA BUT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ONLY TO SOUTH AFRICA AND A COUPLE OTHER COUNTRIES, I GUESS THEY THINK NIGERIANS CAN BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE,JUST AS THEY DO IN THE MOBILE INDUSTRY, IT BEATS ME WHY THEY KEEPS TAKING ALL THE GOOD STATIONS AWAY BUT KEEP ON ADVERTISING THEM AMONG THEIR BOUQUET,RECENTLY ONE OF THE MOST ENTERTAINING STATIONS (GO TV) WAS YANKED OFF TOO,DAMN IT I WISH I HAD BOUGHT SOMETHING ELSE NOT THIS CRAP. THIS REALLY SUCK BALLS angry
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 1:38am On Aug 27, 2009
The Spanish La Liga starts on Saturday the 29th of this month. I didnt see any advert saying it would be any earlier than that.

They have the La Liga and its starting on Saturday. When you dont see it on the appointed date for it, then you have the right to sue them. Its like someone giving you a cheque to cash tomorrow but you go and try to cash it today then call up the person to complain.

For the EPL, they advertise for Nigerian viewers, the three matches per week that they are legally allowed to show. I watched Manu matches two times now on DSTV, watched Westham vs Tottingham , Mancity vs Black burn on DSTV. Just get the times right and you will get to watch.

They also have the full EPL package and Champions League for other countries and SA so when they are advertising the matches that are not for viewing in Nigeria, you see it clearly written at the bottom of the screen: "Excluding Nigeria" . Look well and you would observe .

On another note, if you live and breathe football, then for now, you should go get Hitv(caveat emptor).
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by darznets(m): 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
Well said, Soloqy
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by switched(m): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2009
@Soloqy
soloqy:

The Spanish La Liga starts on Saturday the 29th of this month. I didnt see any advert saying it would be any earlier than that.

They have the La Liga and its starting on Saturday. When you dont see it on the appointed date for it, then you have the right to sue them. Its like someone giving you a cheque to cash tomorrow but you go and try to cash it today then call up the person to complain.

On another note, if you live and breathe football, then for now, you should go get Hitv(caveat emptor).

Spot on, Soloqy (good to catch you here). I think phreakabit got his facts wrong. Some people may accuse DSTV of certain things but not the stuff phreakabit spoke about. You and I know where near-fraud is being committed in the Nigerian pay-tv terrain.

I just renewed my Premium subscription for another month today and I'm glad to do so. The past few days have been really good. What with the IAAF world championships, the high broadcast quality EPL games, a copious amount of pre-season warm-up games etc. And that is not counting a number of great movies and series; and well, naija sings, which may not be the best musical talent hunt reality show but still one which offers good entertainment and many talking points.

I was sad to see GO go (pardon the pun) and will be hoping DSTV compensates us by adding an equally entertaining channel as a replacement.

After all said and done, DSTV may not be perfect but in this environment where both goverment and private institutions take one for granted leaving you little or no recourse, DSTV are ok.

Finally, why are you being mean to the poor guy by suggesting HITV? If the guy can complain this bitterly about DSTV what do you think will happen to him when HITV handles him for a week? Maybe they'll start by yanking off half of the channels he paid for, and then he'll spend the next 2 weeks trying to reach their customer service. Eventually someone will tell him to upgrade his decoder somewhere in Ebute_metta. And all that will just be the beginning of the problems. I've been there.
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 9:34pm On Aug 27, 2009
@switched ,

My brother how you dey? For the hitv suggestion, you can see i clearly added a caveat to it. wink . Make no body come back to this thread and blame me for his Hitv woes.  grin .

I read from the other thread, that their Champions league coverage is a mess with terrible pictures. And of course, some of their staff came in to say, the people complaining should also take a look at SS6, SS10 and ESPN, that they too have bad pictures like their Hi sports channels.

And am like: What are these guys on? How could they be so blind to the blatant truth of their deficiencies. I have since looked at the SS6 and  SS10 again and still wondered out loud: Really what are these Hitv guys on?
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by phreakabit(m): 11:46pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ soloqy

Honestly pardon me if i am wrong, but after a close observation of your write up, i think you are an attempt by dstv to cover up their dishonest acts. I don't see why a fellow Nigerian who is subjected to the same treatment ,would some how want to protect the interest of dstv with no form of personal gain involved.

I don't know why you bought yours, but i bought my dstv some years ago solely for sports when ss3 was still available to Nigeria,but for some stupid,unexplainable reasons they just had to yank it off and replace it with ss3Ni, yes i watched the 3 matches you mentioned but you cant deny the fact that a whole lot more matches are showed on ss3. I mean we all know Nigerians are crazy about some sports than some other sports why the hell would they give us sports stations with rugby and F1 car races over the main soccer station ss3, for goodness sake if people work their asses off to make money and pay this high fees charged for cable tv which is relatively cheaper in South africa. Then i think they do need equal if not superior quality given to those in South africa and other countries in the southern region
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 12:40am On Aug 28, 2009
phreakabit:

@ soloqy

Honestly pardon me if i am wrong, but after a close observation of your write up, i think you are an attempt by dstv to cover up their dishonest acts. I don't see why a fellow Nigerian who is subjected to the same treatment ,would some how want to protect the interest of dstv with no form of personal gain involved.

I don't know why you bought yours, but i bought my dstv some years ago solely for sports when ss3 was still available to Nigeria,but for some stupid,unexplainable reasons they just had to yank it off and replace it with ss3Ni, yes i watched the 3 matches you mentioned but you cant deny the fact that a whole lot more matches are showed on ss3. I mean we all know Nigerians are crazy about some sports than some other sports why the hell would they give us sports stations with rugby and F1 car races over the main soccer station ss3, for goodness sake if people work their asses off to make money and pay this high fees charged for cable tv which is relatively cheaper in South africa. Then i think they do need equal if not superior quality given to those in South africa and other countries in the southern region

@phreakabit

Are you kidding me? Are you in this country at all? Did you even read through what i posted?

Dont you understand that there are broadcast rights and previledges which is gotten by making payments to original content owners?
Even a 10 year old in Nigeria now knows that DSTV dont have the right to show some EPL matches in Nigeria.

Surely you must have heard(from friends and colleagues), read(from newspapers and nairaland), seen(on tv for crying out loud) or imagined this issue before. I find this totally unbelievable unless you dont live in Nigeria.

If you were a football lover as you claim, then surely you must know the situation with DSTV VS HITV and EPL in Nigeria.

And since you totally ignored my earlier explanation to you(very concise) on why you are not watching all the EPL on DSTV, i have come to the concluson that this your topic is just a pathetic attempt by Hitv to clutch at straws on their way down.

You guys should stop playing the patriotism bullshit and do what is right. You dont expect me to take the whole load of crap that hitv dishes out at 6k and keep smiling because its owned by Nigerians.

And for the record, i used to be one of the main supporters/promoters of hitv on this forum.
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by phreakabit(m): 8:01am On Aug 28, 2009
@ Soloqy

No disrespect at all dude, but can you read or are you just learning how to? I never said anything about patriotism, as a matter of fact i am anything but patriotic, After all the so called leaders got us into all this mess, All i am advocating for is some SS3 zissh! is that too much to ask for, Besides we only get to watch the crappy matches never the good ones
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 9:43am On Aug 28, 2009
phreakabit:

@ Soloqy

No disrespect at all dude, but can you read or are you just learning how to? I never said anything about patriotism, as a matter of fact i am anything but patriotic, After all the so called leaders got us into all this mess, All i am advocating for is some SS3zissh! is that too much to ask for, Besides we only get to watch the crappy matches never the good ones

Is it possible for someone to be this slow at comprehension? Read through dude and stop being stupid. They are showing you the matches they have a right to. You are the one who cannot read cause I have posted almost an epistle to you on why you are not watching all EPL MATCHES . Goodness me, where did you come out from?
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by dreamara(f): 2:05pm On Aug 28, 2009
Seriously I only think DSTV sucks for removing GoTV. they killed me (literally) cos I loved watching shows there, esp.Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Miss Joyceln. They had better add that VUZU channel they promised else,
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 2:11pm On Aug 28, 2009
^^^^^^
Yes, the few times i watched go tv, there were fun things to watch. Dont know what their issue is with removing that channel.

What is the VUZU channel about?
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by pek(m): 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2009
phreakabit:

HOW COME DSTV KEEP PUTTING UP SPANISH LA LIGA AND EPL ADVERTS EVEN WHEN THEY KNOW THEY WOULD NOT SHOW THESE MATCHES THEY ADVERTISE. ALL THEY DO IS ADVERTISE IT AND THEN ON MATCH DAY THEY TELEVISE IT ONLY ON SS3 WHICH WAS INITIALLY AVAILABLE TO NIGERIA BUT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ONLY TO SOUTH AFRICA AND A COUPLE OTHER COUNTRIES, I GUESS THEY THINK NIGERIANS CAN BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE,JUST AS THEY DO IN THE MOBILE INDUSTRY, IT BEATS ME WHY THEY KEEPS TAKING ALL THE GOOD STATIONS AWAY BUT KEEP ON ADVERTISING THEM AMONG THEIR BOUQUET,RECENTLY ONE OF THE MOST ENTERTAINING STATIONS (GO TV) WAS YANKED OFF TOO,DAMN IT I WISH I HAD BOUGHT SOMETHING ELSE NOT THIS CRAP. THIS REALLY SUCK BALLS angry

phreakabit:

@ Soloqy

No disrespect at all dude, but can you read or are you just learning how to? I never said anything about patriotism, as a matter of fact i am anything but patriotic, After all the so called leaders got us into all this mess, All i am advocating for is some SS3 zissh! is that too much to ask for, Besides we only get to watch the crappy matches never the good ones

i believe you dont know what you are talking about or you are doing this deliberately to spite dstv. since hitv got the 80% right to show epl in nigeria, ss3n was created solely for nigerian viewship. if matches are advertised, they will tell you that it excludes nigeria. so, i dont see the basis for your outburst. secondly, the matches they show to you are the ones they have to show nigerians.
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 2:44pm On Aug 28, 2009
pek:

i believe you dont know what you are talking about or you are doing this deliberately to spite dstv. since hitv got the 80% right to show epl in nigeria, ss3n was created solely for nigerian viewship. if matches are advertised,  they will tell you that it excludes nigeria. so,  i dont see the basis for your outburst. secondly, the matches they show to you are the ones they have to show nigerians.

My brother , he has exposed himself as to his real motive for the thread.

Is there any football lover in Nigeria that does not know the current situation as regards the EPL in Nigeria? Even pre-teens have an understanding of the issue.

Even after i clearly explained things to him and even pointed him to where he can go watch all the football, he refused to highlight the part where i explained but instead, called me a cover up from DSTV. That alone exposed him for what he is.
Like i said earlier, its a pathetic ploy by hitv and its staff to clutch at straws on their way down.
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by dreamara(f): 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
soloqy:

^^^^^^
Yes, the few times i watched go tv, there were fun things to watch. Dont know what their issue is with removing that channel.

What is the VUZU channel about?
It's a replacement for GOtv. It's presently available to S.A, I don't know if Naija's gonna get it too but all d ame I tink we do. VUZu sirs shows like GOssip Girl, Entourage, America's Best Dance Crew, John from Cincinaitti, Aqua Teen Gunger Force, Robot Chicken AND SO ON. well, we'll keep our fingers crossed,
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by switched(m): 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2009
@Soloqy
Hey bro, I think you aren't getting across to the guy. I thought your point was clear enough.

Ok, the guy got DSTV a few years ago for purely sports reasons. Then, DSTV promised him all the sports he needed and they delivered. The fact now is that DSTV made it clear to all and sundry that they don't have the premiership 100% like they used to in Nigeria. So now they promised us only 20% of EPL games and they are delivering on that too.

So if one's interest is simply EPL, then it is clear that DSTV may not be that cool for him and they have made all that clear. The guy who lives and breathes EPL can simply discontinue his DSTV subscription and find an alternative where his desires are met. It would be unfair for such a guy to accuse DSTV of fraud!

On to other stuff. Are you awaiting BBA Revolution? And what is this thing with sending an SMS request in order to receive it. Also, are you still using the Strong or DSTV branded decoder? Someone said BBA may not be receivable by those using Strong. Any truth in that?

Always a delight sharing with you.
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by soloqy: 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
@switched

I disconitinued the use of the DSTV decoder cause i had a problem with it. Was lucky it turned out the card wasnt married to the decoder afterall.

So right now am using the Strong decoder. I think that since other channels can show on strong decoder, any other channel added(BBA channel) should show as well.

On the Big Brother, yes i got the text asking subscribers to indicate interest before they can watch it.

You remember what happened in the other BBA and the public outcry against it? They are now making it clear that BBA is rated 18 and not suitable for some people and thus, people would have to send an sms indicating interest before the channel would be enabled on their smart cards.

I think they are on the right track so people wont sue them for showing it or raise the kind of noise that followed the Ofunneka saga.

You will find out that its not easy to stay away from a show or programme on tv if its easily accessible to you but if you have to request for it, it may help those struggling with the idea to stay away.

After the ofunneka saga and the naked and sordid images people are posting about BBA in other threads, I too am struggling with the BBA concept and idea and so haven't made up my mind yet whether to request that it be added for me or not. Maybe before SEPT. 6, i would have made up my mind.

Am scared to even think of the things that the housemates may do in the house in this season's show since it seems the worst behaved person in the house usually gets to win.

Anyways, just heard they wont be having shower hour again where viewers ogle at naked flesh  grin . Thats a step in the right direction. Keep my fingers crossed
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by f1king: 8:22am On Dec 07, 2009
hello,i have a question,i will be going to nigeria in february for 6months and am an avid f1 fan,i just dey wonder which dstv channel dey show f1 and what is the coverage like in 9ja?, thankx
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by mamagee3(f): 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2009
All these unknown cable networks are fraudsters. tongue
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by Enigma(m): 3:43pm On Dec 23, 2009
mama-gee:

All these unknown cable networks are fraudsters. tongue

Interesting -  On Satellite Television Rebroadcast - Piracy and The Law in Nigeria

wink
Re: Dstv A Fraud? by man47: 8:10am On Jan 05, 2010
I'm totally agree with @ soloqy .

(1) (Reply)

New Station On Uhf 41 Ontv / SHOCKING!!! Female Presenter Bares All Her B**bs On Breakfast TV / FAUWAX Latest Hausa Film TRAILER Original 2019 Adam A Zango Zainab Indomi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.