Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment (7620 Views)

Ohanaeze Accuses FG Of Bias In Call For Kanu’s Re-arrest / Borno Man Accuses FG Of Abandoning Victims Of IDP Camp Bombing (Graphic Pics) / Pictures Of Ogoni Clean-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by snailspeed: 1:37am On Jun 09, 2016
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) has pulled out of the much publicized clean up of Ogoni Land, citing insincerity and lack of commitment on the side of the federal government.

In a statement by its spokesman, Bamidele Odugbesan in Lagos on Wednesday, June 8, 2016. The oil giant stated that they noticed the government does not have a blue print yet for the exercise, also no fund has been approved by the government for clean-up.

Odugbesan said they having been calling on the federal government to show commitment but all to no avail.

He further said their own part of the money is ever ready and they won’t hesitate to return to the table whenever the the federal government deem fit to fully kick start the clean up because right now there is nothing concrete on ground, to be frank.

Meanwhile, it was reported last week that ace singer and performer, Timi Dakolo, turned down a call by the FG to perform at the event to flag of the Ogoni cleanup. No reason was giving for the action and attempts to get a response from the singer were unfruitful. Mrs. Amina Mohammed, Minister of Environment, expressed her disappointment via her Twitter account while congratulating everyone who participated in the event.

http://telegram.ng/post/187/Shell-Pulls-Out-Of-Ogoni-CleanUp-Accuses-FG-Of-Insincerity-And-Lack-Of-Commitment

1 Like

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by DONMAYOR19(m): 1:41am On Jun 09, 2016
lala come o, e be like say apc don carry their lie go finish shell do ogoni o.

22 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Sweetlemon(f): 1:46am On Jun 09, 2016
Seems like the West, Britain actually is really angry with Buhari. I am yet to figure out exactly why though. Could it be because of Buhari's determination to recover loots from them? Because ever since Buhari announced his visit to the UK to recover looted funds, UK has just been giving Baba bad eye up and down.
America started beefing Buhari after he turned down IMF offer.
If I got the information correctly, the bulk of the funds for the clean-up is not meant to come from FG but from the polluters. FG just flagged off the program last week, definitely perhaps when Buhari is back or when work implementation of the budget really kicks off, FG will source for their own part of the funds. Then again we all know how Buhari likes to take his time while doing sensitive things involving serious cash so why the hullabaloo from Shell? Why the hurry? Something is def wrong somewhere.
Hmmm. Baba God help us o.

8 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by romme2u: 1:47am On Jun 09, 2016
reserved

interested persons should contact mr. Bleep
Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by starpon1: 1:49am On Jun 09, 2016
buhari always fooling himself, so all this gragra about ogoni cleansing is just a camoflage? anyway am waiting to see the outcome.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by utytill(m): 2:03am On Jun 09, 2016
U seam,they expect timi dakolo to follow them go decieve ogoni pipu.i pity ameachi.

46 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by UjGina: 2:04am On Jun 09, 2016
Nigerians are so unlucky when it comes to leadership. For the past one year, its being from one trouble to the other

47 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 09, 2016
Really?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by vanbonattel: 2:05am On Jun 09, 2016
This government will turn out to be the greatest joke of the whole nations on earth. Every day the Nigerian government reaches new lows in every section.

The government is competing with itself to break all records in despicable buffoonery.

Can't we just walk in and chase these guys out of Aso rock before they sell it and use the money for Buhari travels?

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by vanbonattel: 2:06am On Jun 09, 2016
UjGina:
Nigerians are so unlucky when it comes to leadership. For the past one year, its being from one trouble to the other

I disagree,

Nigerians are world experts in only one thing, choosing the very worst of people as leaders.

32 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by ridwanayo(m): 2:09am On Jun 09, 2016
Apc has be insincere since they came into goverment,its from one lie to the other,they have being feeding us with lies nd propaganda since they entered into gov't
I always knew the ogini land clean up is all lies

27 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Nobody: 2:12am On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:
Seems like the West, Britain actually is really angry with Buhari. I am yet to figure out exactly why though. Could it be because of Buhari's determination to recover loots from them? Because ever since Buhari announced his visit to the UK to recover looted funds, UK has just been giving Baba bad eye up and down.

You don't go scot free when you attempt to abandon the world legal tender...dollar for any enemy Chinese yuan. Osinbanjo will replace Buhari soon. The first thing he would do is to cancel the chinese deal...mark my words. Buhari is finished!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Nobody: 2:17am On Jun 09, 2016
Yeye dey smell
Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by KissCODE(m): 2:22am On Jun 09, 2016
Where are all those that celebrated the sham called ogoni clean up campaign?

They should come & explain this.

Okay make lai muhammed, shehu garba & femi adesina come here and tell us more lies.

14 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Pavarottii(m): 2:44am On Jun 09, 2016
Me I knew it since, I was telling my colleagues and I asked dem a simple question "Which company did they give the contract to clean up during the speech of VP" they could not ansa, abi is it ghost that will clean it up?

U believe APC at ur peril.

Demonic/Confused/Satanic Party. God is Def not behind dem. That's why they av failed in all ramifications and there is cloud of darkness hovering round Naija which is causing hardship and hunger everywhere.
But God will vindicate those that never had a hand in this party. IJN.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by NavierStokes(m): 2:45am On Jun 09, 2016
I was singing here on nairaland since June of last year.
Clean-up exercise amounts to 1 billion dollars within the first 5 years , the NNPCs share of that is 550 million dollars, where is the loss making NNPC or FG going to get that amount from.
The oil companies have always been ready with their share, the government rather chose to play politics with this exercise leveraging on the very long projected timescale of the exercise (30 years). Below is a recent quote:

NavierStokes:
In his fanatical supporters own words "The president does not repeat visits, he already visited Ogoni land in 1984".

This clean-up remains one of the biggest sham these people will ever shore up, it's a pity that Jonathan didn't know how to do fakes not being a politician himself, he was a perfectionist who would want all the details to be taken care of before he acts. This was a project he could have just gone to kickstart with even 1 million naira and if work stops you explain to every one how it is a long term project and you are doing some work in the background until The end of your tenure. The APC understands it and will leverage on that to ride on people's gullibility.

The question I will ask, the clean-up is projected to cost about 1 billion USD, the JV partners will provide say 450million USD and the FG or NNPC has to provide 550 million USD, what plans has the government put in place for funding this sum, rather than deposit 10million usd as a take off sum? When is the next tranche of payments coming in? what's the government's strategy to get the work ongoing when it starts? What is the budget of ministry of environment? What provision is in the budget for this exercise ? It's not enough for the minister to say lack of funding will not stop the exercise knowing fully well there is no plan in place to ensure a continuous clean-up exercise thereby making it a rolling wave project.

Anyways those who will keep falling for propaganda can continue, in this Nigeria I smh for the largely ignorant population that can swallow any news hooks lines and sinkers without doing a critical analysis of the said news

Well, at the bolded, the IOCs obviously decided to not succumb to this dangerous dimension of propaganda and politics being played by this government for political points. Every well meaning Nigerian should appreciate them, rather than the zombies above me who are trying to pass on the blame to the western world.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by hansyllo(m): 2:51am On Jun 09, 2016
Is high time we let this people know that we are tired with their lies and deceitful life style.

12 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by LesbianBoy(m): 3:01am On Jun 09, 2016
Nigerians intelligence has never being insulted these much! These APC government will go down as the "WORST GOVERNMENT OF ALL TIME IN NIGERIA". How did we get here? angry

25 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by LesbianBoy(m): 3:02am On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Trut(m): 3:03am On Jun 09, 2016
APC chain everywhere

13 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Sweetlemon(f): 3:13am On Jun 09, 2016
Intellect20:

You don't go scot free when you attempt to abandon the world legal tender...dollar for any enemy Chinese yuan. Osinbanjo will replace Buhari soon. The first thing he would do is to cancel the chinese deal...mark my words. Buhari is finished!

Oh really? I'm really beginning to fear for Buhari's life. He needs special prayers because he is fighting a one-man fight against corruption and overbearing western forces the people whom he's fighting for don't even appreciate him. Don't even know what to say anymore sef. Smh

4 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Sweetlemon(f): 3:16am On Jun 09, 2016
If I got the information correctly, the bulk of the funds for the clean-up is not meant to come from FG but from the polluters. FG has just flagged off the program, definitely perhaps when Buhari is back or when work implementation of the budget really kicks off, FG will source for their own part of the funds. So why the hullabaloo from Shell? Why the hurry? Something is def wrong somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by NavierStokes(m): 3:21am On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:
If I got the information correctly, the funds for the clean-up is not meant to come from FG but from
So why the hullabo from Shell. Something is def wrong somewhere.

From where my dear, from where?

5 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by gratiaeo(m): 3:27am On Jun 09, 2016
Buhari APC have already failed Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Meriekriss: 3:27am On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:

Oh really? I'm really beginning to fear for Buhari's life. He needs special prayers because he is fighting a one-man fight against corruption and overbearing western forces the people whom he's fighting for even appreciate him. Don't even know what to say anymore sef. Smh

A wise man knows when to pick his battle.. Unfortunately, Buhari is proving not to be wise.. One man is fighting bokoharam, IPOB and he kept on making remarks that woke the sleeping militants. Buhari is the cause of his own problem. He could have fought the corruption and focused on treating everyone as equal, with that everyone including the ND and IPOB would have been interested in seeing Nigeria progress.. Tell me, who like war or bloodshed?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by Sweetlemon(f): 3:34am On Jun 09, 2016
Meriekriss:

A wise man knows when to pick his battle.. Unfortunately, Buhari is proving not to be wise.. One man is fighting bokoharam, IPOB and he kept on making remarks that woke the sleeping militants. Buhari is the cause of his own problem. He could have fought the corruption and focused on treating everyone as equal, with that everyone including the ND and IPOB would have been interested in seeing Nigeria progress.. Tell me, who like war or bloodshed?

Buhari did not make any remarks to "awaken" anything. These bastards are sponsored by ND elites whom Buhari wants to retrieve loots from. What's the crime in that please? We all saw how those bloody SS governors made demands for Buhari to drop charges against their people for the bombing to stop. Oh I forgot! You hate for anything good to come out from this administration right?
Issorite. I'm scared for the life of the number 1 and 2 men in the country though but I know that Baba God has a divine plan for us. God dey.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by donsteady(m): 3:34am On Jun 09, 2016
What's exactly APC is serious about?

4 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by SmartMugu: 4:14am On Jun 09, 2016
I knew it. A government that hasn't achieved anything meaningful yet wants to start with cleaning up Ogoni land. No plans, no blueprints. They must really think everyone is dumb.

6 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by M4gunners: 4:15am On Jun 09, 2016
Hahaha una never see anything yet. The King can now know who he is dealing with.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by knuckbuck(m): 4:15am On Jun 09, 2016
I knew something was fishy about this Ogoni clean-up thingy.

5 Likes

Re: Shell Pulls Out Of Ogoni Clean-up, Accuses FG Of Insincerity, Lack Of Commitment by lafuria1(m): 4:34am On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:
If I got the information correctly, the bulk of the funds for the clean-up is not meant to come from FG but from the polluters. FG has just flagged off the program, definitely perhaps when Buhari is back or when work implementation of the budget really kicks off, FG will source for their own part of the funds. So why the hullabaloo from Shell? Why the hurry? Something is def wrong somewhere.
The news is fake, the source is local online blog, international version is the UK Telegraph, here we have telegram.
Secondly, I find it odd adding news of timi dakolo not attending an event to a serious issue of pulling out.
The clean up is solely the oil company responsiblity, the planning and all, FG provides the enabling environment.

I searched for other sources, I was directed back to nairaland here, even the source doesn't come before nairaland, lol.

9 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Orders Payment Of N150bn To Petroleum Marketers / Fayemi At 56: Roles He Played In Ekiti And National Politics / LASBCA Vows To Demolish Buildings Without Permit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.