Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. (63653 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / Lagos, Port-harcourt Airports Ranked Amongst 20 Worst Airports In The World / Abeokuta Ranked Fourth Worst City To Live In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Classcaptain1(m): 9:48am On Sep 10, 2016
Lucasbalo:
They will make those untapped forests a slum too.
grin grin grin
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by YourNemesis: 9:50am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

Like I said, you don't know the definition of a slum. Aba is only characterized with bad roads. Bad road alone doesn't make a city a slum.

I refer to slum site in Nigeria according to wikipedia.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/Lagos%2C_Broad_Street.jpg/300px-Lagos%2C_Broad_Street.jpg

Have you heard of the "floating slum"? It is in Lagos
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209520/The-world-Nigerias-floating-slums-Heartbreaking-photos-reveal-struggle-villagers-forced-live-shacks-water.html

What of the Mega city of Slum?
http://www.irinnews.org/news/2006/09/05/lagos-mega-city-slums

If Aba is a slum, then Aba must be a learner where Lagos is.

About the article you quoted, it doesn't have weight cause it is a mere academic research work and any body can write anything. The author didn't even state the source of that silly assertion. Meaning it is imagination.

The satellite imagery shows that Aba is well planed city. And that is true. But the only problem is Aba road and the current Governor is fixing some part gradually.

Lagos is a mega city slum.

yaaaawn.......
Dude, this is balderdash. You've got no point.
SE don't do slums indeed...lmao

1 Like 1 Share

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by photoshoot(m): 9:52am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

I want to get you properly, are u saying the gala sellers made those areas slums?

You been commenting blindly if since you are yet to get me, and also goes to show that you know nothing.. Classicme.

You would answer the question yourself, someone whose income per day isn't up to 500naira, where do you think they live? I know hawking northerners or the shoemakers, I understand they can't sleep anywhere; be it mosque, front of a shop, but where do our gala sellers sleep

And please don't ask me how I go to know that of northerners, just tell your relative in Lagos feeding you junk stories to go down to idi Arabs or a particular axis of agege to confirm.

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by EzeNri(m): 9:57am On Sep 10, 2016
Revolva:
Infact almost everywhere in lagos is a slum I must say ok almost every community except for VI lekki

Lagos is even better in infrastructure other part of nigeria are worst i prefer stayin in lagos slums than to live in other part of nigeria
Are you serious? You prefer to live in a Lagos slum than in any part of Nigeria?

In that case, I'll refer you to Makoko, the floating slum.

GoodLuck

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by HMZi: 10:02am On Sep 10, 2016
Kenya,i see you baby.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by CarterDavid30(m): 10:06am On Sep 10, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
Hmmm. Dirty place and some peeps do straf there... Smh

Lol. Na wetin do you be that. you burst my head ah swear
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by EzeNri(m): 10:08am On Sep 10, 2016
photoshoot:

You been commenting blindly if since you are yet to get me, and also goes to show that you know nothing.. Classicme.

You would answer the question yourself, someone whose income per day isn't up to 500naira, where do you think they live? I know hawking northerners or the shoemakers, I understand they can't sleep anywhere; be it mosque, front of a shop, but where do our gala sellers sleep

And please don't ask me how I go to know that of northerners, just tell your relative in Lagos feeding you junk stories to go down to idi Arabs or a particular axis of agege to confirm.
Ok. You have won.

Igbos made Lagos slum, there is no slum in SW, the entire SE is a slum.

It must be really hard for you to see Lagos in that list. You were expecting to see Onitsha and Aba. But in your disappointment you started pushing blames. Even if gala sellers live in a slum, are they the only people there, are there not more yorubas there? They met the slums there and will also leave the slum there.

Your insults won't stop the fact that Lagos is mega city slum and Makoko is a floating slum. Even if the entire SE is a slum, we still know their National Headquarters.

5 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 10:08am On Sep 10, 2016
Explorers:
11. Ilaje (Nigeria).

Residents of Ilaje live on the lagoon. This sprawling slum is one of Nigeria’s notorious dark spots. People here live under sordid conditions. You will find many poorly fed children playing about in this slum.
Your sources you cited for this list are from different channels? I think it doesn't tally.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by kdfinest(m): 10:12am On Sep 10, 2016
chai dis kenya sef, seems they are always topping in anything BADDDD. Hope their president house is not also a SLUM.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Revolva(m): 10:12am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

Are you serious? You prefer to live in a Lagos slum than in any part of Nigeria?

In that case, I'll refer you to Makoko, the floating slum.

GoodLuck

Lagos is far developed than anywhere in nigeria ok lagos is the NY of nigeria the rest of nigeria na rubbish ok I don't need to live in makoko ok bro easy ok if I wanna live in a ghetto in lagos there r far better slums in lagos ok from ajegunle apapa, okokomaiko ojo,infact almost everywhere in lagos is a modified slum

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Ghost01(m): 10:13am On Sep 10, 2016
StarPlayer:
The north is by far more infrastructurally developed than the south for your information. Go to sokoto, kano, gombe bauchi etc and see road networks, you go bow. Stop basking in ignorance
When it comes to road infrastructures, the north is ahead of the south.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by photoshoot(m): 10:20am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

[s]Ok. You have won.

Igbos made Lagos slum, there is no slum in SW, the entire SE is a slum.

It must be really hard for you to see Lagos in that list. You were expecting to see Onitsha and Aba. But in your disappointment you started pushing blames. Even if gala sellers live in a slum, are they the only people there, are there not more yorubas there? They met the slums there and will also leave the slum there.

Your insults won't stop the fact that Lagos is mega city slum and Makoko is a floating slum. Even if the entire SE is a slum, we still know their National Headquarters.[/s]

You have the habit of saying nonsense.
The same slum your folks *are trooping and still trooping*[continuous] to??

Have a nice day.
I do pray we cross part again.

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 10:24am On Sep 10, 2016
YourNemesis:

What are you saying lol

Huge sections of Aba is largely slum.
Slum to your own definition? Are you trying to redefine slum to soothe your floating ego?

Aba didn't make the list. So deal with that and keep your frustrations to yourself.

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by EzeNri(m): 10:25am On Sep 10, 2016
Revolva:

Lagos is far developed than anywhere in nigeria ok lagos is the NY of nigeria the rest of nigeria na rubbish ok I don't need to live in makoko ok bro easy ok if I wanna live in a ghetto in lagos there r far better slums in lagos ok from ajegunle apapa, okokomaiko ojo,infact almost everywhere in lagos is a modified slum
Nigeria itself is a slum. There is no world class city in Nigeria, though we have world class settlements.

Are u saying you rather stay in Ajegunle than live in GRA PH, Golf City Enugu, Maitama Abuja, Asokoro, Yenagoa.

I don't know about you. I no dey craze to try am.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 10:28am On Sep 10, 2016
photoshoot:

When we move some gala selling immigrants back to where they came from, be sure we would have no slum.
Lagos is Nigeria. If you claim its developments and advance infrastructure to the South West alone then accept the slums as well, stop being a bigot and double standard.

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Kgdavid(m): 10:30am On Sep 10, 2016
if i ever see or hear one negative comment on Nigeria from a Kenyan.... i mean if i hear peem!! that person will hear it from me
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by photoshoot(m): 10:30am On Sep 10, 2016
DriveByKiller:
Lagos is Nigeria. If you claim its developments and advance infrastructure to the South West alone then accept the slums as well, stop being a bigot and double standard.

What development and advancement does a gala seller contribute?
Pray tell me. Rather they constitute nuiscance

1 Like

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by EzeNri(m): 10:31am On Sep 10, 2016
DriveByKiller:
Slum to your own definition? Are you trying to redefine slum to soothe your floating ego?

Aba didn't make the list. So deal with that and keep your frustrations to yourself.
Me don explain tire give them. As you correctly pointed out, their inflated ego no go gree them learn.

Seeing Lagos there without any Eastern city is to hard for them to swallow. I'll advise you just leave them alone.

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 10, 2016
Kgdavid:
if i ever see or hear one negative comment on Nigeria from a Kenyan.... i mean if i hear peem!! that person will hear it from me
Nigeria has more slums. 20 million people in lagos alone? Thats half of the entire kenyan population. There is no way Kenya rivals you in this.

#Kenyan

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Priceless200(f): 10:40am On Sep 10, 2016
DonCortino:

Hehehe! he mistook you because of ur moustache. grin grin grin grin grin

Owh really... Didn't notice I have one... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by FunkyMetahuman: 10:43am On Sep 10, 2016
Muafrika2:

Nigeria has more slums. 20 million people in lagos alone? Thats half of the entire kenyan population. There is no way Kenya rivals you in this.

#Kenyan
mumurish post
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Kgdavid(m): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2016
Muafrika2:

#Kenyan

Based off your post, Nigeria should have more slums given that we are 4-5 times the size of Kenya.But this is faulty logic, since there is no reason why a larger population must necessarily mean having more slums.

And then according to this list Kenya has more than double the amount of major slums as Nigeria, despite having a much lower population.

But what is so shocking is that you have so many major slums within and around Nairobi alone. [s]Each one containing close to 100, 000 people. It's safe to say that close to 1 million people live in Nairabi's slums. How large is Nairobi if that much of it's population are slum dwellers?[/s]

Modified:

Just reviews the data and it turns out that you have at least 4.5 million slum dwellers in and around Nairobi alone! a good 10% of the Kenyan population dwells in slums, and thats counting only the major slums.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 10:59am On Sep 10, 2016
photoshoot:

What development and advancement does a gala seller contribute?
Pray tell me. Rather they constitute nuiscance

You're out of point, Mr. Photoshoot. And dare I suggest your descending to tribal banter is a huge disappointment?

My first encounter with you was when you sought support for your Mr. Nairaland quest, I thought you had a
broad mind.

That list is an international one, Lagos doesn't really represent South West, it represents Nigeria. It isn't for blame trading. Gala sellers abound in every major Nigerian city. But Lagos problem is unique.

Try and learn the history of Makoko before you start pointing blame-trading fingers.

3 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Revolva(m): 10:59am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

Nigeria itself is a slum. There is no world class city in Nigeria, though we have world class settlements.

Are u saying you rather stay in Ajegunle than live in GRA PH, Golf City Enugu, Maitama Abuja, Asokoro, Yenagoa.

I don't know about you. I no dey craze to try am.

Hahaha I mean lagos slum I prefer to manage dan other part of nigeria slum ok

See don't downgrade ajegunle oo there are better building there and clubs n hotels ok not all pic you see boutt ajegunle is right about there I was born there and stillrep there ok
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by DriveByKiller: 11:07am On Sep 10, 2016
EzeNri:

Me don explain tire give them. As you correctly pointed out, their inflated ego no go gree them learn.

Seeing Lagos there without any Eastern city is to hard for them to swallow. I'll advise you just leave them alone.

Some people will sell Nigeria off for a little piece of tribal leverage!

It doesn't matter to them if Nigeria takes the 1st position in slum-dome of Africa just as long as their tribal enemies get their fair share of the slum distribution.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by LeFreakSoChic(f): 11:20am On Sep 10, 2016
Nnetriplet:

I once read a book that was based on life on this slum

Yes, it is ''Faceless''. I thought it was fictional too.
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by StarPlayer: 11:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Ghost01:
When it comes to road infrastructures, the north is ahead of the south.
True that
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Okeikpu(m): 11:43am On Sep 10, 2016
mazimee:
Lagos also seems to be competing with Kenya grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ONE FUNNY THING IS THAT PPLE THOUGHT KENYA TOPED THE LIST sad
WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY ODUDUWA NATIONT IN THE COUNTRY DID..... START FROM AJEGUNLE,IJORA,AMUKOKO,LAFIA,ORINLE....... I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START grin THERE'S ABT 200 HUNDRED SLUMS IN LAGOS ALONE NOT 2TALK OF THE WHOLE ODUDUWA NATION grin ONE FUNNY THING IS THAT MOST OF THEM R HERE ON NL EXCHANGING WORDS WT D GR8 PPLE OF BIFRA grin

2 Likes

Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Okeikpu(m): 11:47am On Sep 10, 2016
Lucasbalo:
They will make those untapped forests a slum too.
grin
MY THOUGHT EXACTLY grin
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by osita76(m): 11:54am On Sep 10, 2016
Explorers:
A slum is a heavily populated urban informal settlement characterized by substandard housing and squalor. While slums differ in size and other characteristics from country to country, most lack reliable sanitation services, supply of clean water, reliable electricity, timely law enforcement and other basic services. Slum residences vary from shanty houses to professionally built dwellings that because of poor-quality construction or provision of services have deteriorated into slums.

Africa is a huge continent with a population of more than 1.1 billion. The continent’s population is set to double by 2050. More than 60 percent of urbanized Africans live in slums. They do not have adequate access to safe water, sanitation and other infrastructure. Their houses are of poor quality and are not secure. Kenya has one of the biggest slums in the world.
Here are the 20 worst slums in Africa.

Source: http://www.africaranking.com/20-worst-slums-in-africa/
cc: justwise, lalasticlala, obinoscopy
the brown roofs republic made the list, south west and dirtiness are like 5 and 6
Re: AfricaRanking: 20 Worst Slums In Africa. by Okeikpu(m): 11:58am On Sep 10, 2016
OP YOU REFUSED TO MENTION THE MIGHTY SLUMS IN AREWA NATION sad COMMON GUY'U NO TRY OH cry
THE SLUMS IN AREWA,ISLAMIC KINGDOM SUPPAX THOSE IN THE ENTIRE AFRICA.........OR ARE YOU AFRAID OF BUBU THE supporter of APC LEADERE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

VIO Uses Robot To Control Traffic In Abuja, Drivers Obey (Video) / This Is How To Wear Seat Belt When Pregnant / Barack Obama Paddling Shirtless On Hawaii Beach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.