Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,211 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? (39651 Views)

Is This America Or A 3rd World Country / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 09, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
Are you a fine boy? If yes, gather all the babes forming love for you, tell them this same pity story. Trust me, they will set up a trust fund for you.
My cousin did it, very fine boy, he is in US now, with a wife and child. Those babes still dey wait am...
Op don't try this one oh. it worked for her cousin, in your own case, you might jam Amadioha grand daughter.

Bk to topic, pls take the risk. try to manage whatever you have till the stipends starts coming. if its possible sef carry foodstuffs from here.
And as someone suggested up there, tag yourself to some local churches. you will certainly get free meal.

See yourself as a survivor. illegal immigrants face worst situation yet they survive.
May Heaven guide you.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by meisterkitan(m): 7:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

I swear!... Lol.....

What would Jesus do? grin
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by princeonx: 7:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
SUPOL:
Seek d face of God in prayer n fasting to know his will. If it is his will den be rest assured He has gone before u to prapare d way
Smh

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 09, 2016
lrna01:
No don't go. Stay in this country that is facing imminent recession. In fact u can spend that 100k on your girlfriend.
To be sincere with u, if u can disappear to the us without flight please do.

Don't look back brother. Look for the closest Nigeria community there and tag with them for meals at least. There are so many churches that do food pantry; u can pack foods for free that u wouldn't be able to buy in naija.

kai!
is it that bad

grin
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by LifeIsSoEasy: 7:07pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hmmmm you still dey here dey "aks qwesion". Abeg grab this opportunity with both hands and legs. If it means eating 1 0 0 until things level, you will not die. Please don't loose this opportunity!
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by EbolaParasite: 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
Addicted2Women:
Who told you that you need $2000 to survive for the first month ??
Have you ever heard of Chinese buffet ?? Price rite ??
Wetin you wan chop ??
A loaf of bread is 99 cent

Food is the cheapest thing you can buy in America.

You need no health insurance.

Again, where this country called Nigeria is headed to, you better get the fucck out.

Welcome to the land of opportunities.
Even if you graduate, you will still stay here for a long time before you start thinking of going back

America is the only and best country in the whole wide world, other countries are just local governments

The $1,500 you're talking about is financial aid you get from your school every semester, it's a free money.
You can get up to $14,000 every year just for going to school. Nobody go ask you to pay it back

Please everyone ignore this poster. Don't be misled. Financial aid is for residents and citizens alike. You can't get it as an F-1 visa holder.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by kpolli(m): 7:10pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I need your advice and help on what to do because I am totally confused.
I am 23, holds a Bsc from a Nigerian university.
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
I can huzzle and get my flight fee because I still have 2 months to resumption.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
School resumes August 14, what should I do?
Tried taking up loan from the bank but didn't work out.
I am confused at the moment.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Or should I just forget about my America dream
I have exhausted all my options, God help me.
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

I am at a crucial point in my life.
Thanks

Na mansion you wan rent in your first month.... Bro you don't need that much, in my first month I spent less than 500.... Plus most schools allow you pay instalmentally for fees including insurance.... You have 3 months to hustle your ticket and $1,000.00.

Bro you can make it if you're serious

4 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by anyicash(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
You can't still afford it, it's just a normal dream like any other dreamer we ve got here.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Addicted2Women: 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
princeonx:

Good advise but my questions are how did he qualify for financial aid in the first place? He's coming on an F1 student visa which means he will be paying international tuition fees. Which government will pay that and still hand him $1,500 a month? Nigeria? Cux am sure u guys are not talking about US cux he must prove that he can afford the tuition and living expenses before they grant him admission as F1 student.

Financial aid are given to students whose parents are average or below average financial status.

If his parents makes below $90,000 every year, then he's qualified for a free hostel and financial aid.
That's not the only money will receive, he can apply for GRANT and they will add extra $3000 to the $1,500 financial aid making all the money total to $4,000
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by d2ddayo(m): 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
Well thats before uncle trump comes in o, so all you aspiring immigrants or wah ever name it is, jin us here before the gate closes and the bigger walls are built by president donaldo trump.
Addicted2Women:
Wetin you wan chop ??

Again, where this country called Nigeria is headed to, you better get the fucck out.

Even if you graduate, you will still stay here for a long time before you start thinking of going back

America is the only and best country in the whole wide world, other countries are just local governments

The $1,500 you're talking about is financial aid you get from your school every semester, it's a free money.
You can get up to $14,000 every year just for going to school. Nobody go ask you to pay it back
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
Adaobi12:
Op don't try this one oh. it worked for her cousin, in your own case, you might jam Amadioha grand daughter.

Bk to topic, pls take the risk. try to manage whatever you have till the stipends starts coming. if its possible sef carry foodstuffs from here.
And as someone suggested up there, tag yourself to some local churches. you will certainly get free meal.

See yourself as a survivor. illegal immigrants face worst situation yet they survive.
May Heaven guide you.
Adaobi oginni?
Stopeet o... This is legit means of survival I suggested and you are talking of amadioha's granddaughter. Im no defraud them na, it is gonna be free will donations.

I was just joking sha. Posters before me have said it all.
The instance of my cousin wasn't part of the joke grin.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Youngetskilz23(m): 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
Are you a fine boy? If yes, gather all the babes forming love for you, tell them this same pity story. Trust me, they will set up a trust fund for you.
My cousin did it, very fine boy, he is in US now, with a wife and child. Those babes still dey wait am...
and what if the all the babes forming love for him are dead broke most of you girls cant even afford comon mtn 100 box talkless of settin up a fund raising shiii.. btw fine boys attract ugly ,broke girls tongue

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by phelix001: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
here is my advice to you...
Kindly pick your things and start moving to the U.S... there are too many options there...meanwhile,kindly help me with the link to the school...am also a graduate and would cherish such opportunity...please forward it to amiablefelix@gmail.com...thank you.

CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

Thanks
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Zehner(f): 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
cheesy cheesy o my!
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

Adaobi oginni?
Stopeet o... This is legit means of survival I suggested and you are talking of amadioha's granddaughter. Im no defraud them na, it is gonna be free will donations.

I was just joking sha. Posters before me have said it.
The instance of my cousin wasn't part of the joke grin.
that one na coded fraud. ori na ehihie ocha.

like the ladies are hoping he is coming bk to them chai!!! ife nkea dikwa egwu.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
PaulkillermanAg:
I hate this, this is as foolish as it can get, the worse thing any human being has ever adviced.... your mental slavery is irredeemable ....

Welcome to Nigeria my friend, in 2016 where the world is exposed to all ways of reasoning some people would just stay put and do god this god that and that's why Nigeria is where it is, too much fools with low iq who can't reason out ways to change anything all they know is believe, pray, believe, curse and insult whoever is in power then pray such level of dumbness amuses and irritates me, no wonder the guys over there are busy stealing billions on a daily basis they all know the average Nigerian is as dumb as dumb can be, the smartest thing he can say is, god will punish them, lol like seriously, the change we really need isn't even Buhari or the government, it's us, we the young ones, thinksing outside the box, males and females alike not all this prayer, swears and insult talk, someone needs reasonable advice about taking a life changing step to go abroad to grener pastures and some people still reason this way, SMH angry sad cool

4 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Y2244(m): 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I am 23, holds a Bsc from a Nigerian university.......

You're in a very good condition. I really don't see why you're confused. Trust me, you don't even need any loan from any bank.

If I am in your shoes, I'll go to LinkedIn and look for Nigerians in that same school or even in the department you were admitted to. How'd you do that? Type the name of the school with Nigeria in front of it in the search query box. For example, "University of Texas at Austin Nigeria." That will come up with a result of those that have had contact with the school and Nigeria, of course including those who aren't Nigerians. From this result, you can use their profiles to filter Nigerians who are currently studying in the School. To extend the search to the department, you just have to add the name of the department to the previous search text.

Now, you can add them up and explain your situation to them. I'm sure you'd surely get someone that can even allow you stay with him/her pending when you get your own place. And since they're sure you'll be receiving stipend, they should be able to borrow you money.

We might have our troubles here due to religious and ethnic differences, but in an Oyinbo land, a Nigerian will most likely than not help a fellow Nigerian regardless of his or her tribe or religion.

Goodluck Prof!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by koolaid87: 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
Get out before the window closes...You're a survivor, put yourself to test..Jah is your strength

Peace
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by diva90: 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:

I wrote the standard tests GRE and TOEFL.
Had 320 in GRE 115 in TOEFL.
Also my cgpa was ok, 3.3/4.

Wow you are very smart! Now I see why they waived your tuition. Remember at the visa interview you would still have to prove to them that going to the US , you will not become a liability. Its very important that you not only enter the US well but that you make arrangements to avoid being stranded. If you have a relation or friend in the US or someone that knows someone u can stay with for a few days, I would advice that you take that alternative while you prepare to resume for school. Hotel fees may be too much for you to handle and I wouldn't recommend that. Or better still go to the US a few days or a week before you are to resume, contact and ask your international student coordinator for a waiver to get access to your accommodation earlier, explaining your situation to the school may be of benefit to you. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Y2244(m): 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
princeonx:

Good advise but my questions are how did he qualify for financial aid in the first place? He's coming on an F1 student visa which means he will be paying international tuition fees. Which government will pay that and still hand him $1,500 a month? Nigeria? Cux am sure u guys are not talking about US cux he must prove that he can afford the tuition and living expenses before they grant him admission as F1 student.

People get funding from the schools in the form of Research or Teaching Assistantship. You can check that up on Google for more information.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by DBestDoc(f): 7:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
I only have 100k
Please advice a brother.

N.B

Thanks
I can believe this. You have a full tuition waiver and monthly stipend, yet you can't hustle your way out?
you want to be spoonfed abe?

When i left the shores of Nigeria for studies too, i had just 200usd on me. That was about 45kngn.
My flight ticket was 278kngn, all cash hustled and arranged by me 100%. I was also around your age. Totally self(family) sponsored, no scholarship from anywhere and no guarantee of monthly upkeep stipend.
Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into wealth, but serious people work their way to the top.
You have 100k which is well above 300usd, full scholarship, guaranteed monthly stipend and you are asking if you should forfeit the opportunity lipsrsealed?

You can forfeit the scholarship so that a more deserving, self-motivated person can get it. Perhaps you are here to garner sympathy for someone to dash you money instead of hustling. If that's the case, na u sabi

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by DBestDoc(f): 7:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
Flashh:
There are two decisions involved for you here Mr... If you want to take the risk, you can go on and travel to the U.S.

If you don't want to take the risk, stay in Nigeria. (You can achieve anywhere).

It all depends on you.
staying in Nigeria my dear is a bigger risk. Nothing is guaranteed.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by titilopena: 7:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
Please man take your chance for better. You will never regret it.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by shine12: 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2016
Pls brother by all means.Move out.The opportunity that awaits you in the academic world is unprecedented.Of course seek God's will.But from what you've said please don't let this opportunity run from you.You can even get a PhD in a top University after and make your mark.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
Roland17:

The bold has to win the comment of the day, no contest.

win which comment of the day, America with all its war and lies and conspiracy theories, abegi, it's way better than most African countries but boi it stops there, try telling a confirmed London boy that america is the best and his a just a local government, and watch urself get stabbed with a knife, lol not a joke but the love a Londoner has for that city is crazy plus everything is almost perfect there too and so are other well placed European countries too...
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Iykon1313(m): 7:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
Please advice a brother.

N.B

Thanks

Bro, if u try and it doesn't work, defy the admission till January. Then u should v hustled some cash.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by JustHere2Observ(f): 7:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
Take your chance now.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Paulpenny(m): 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
Cprof take this advice

Addicted2Women:
Wetin you wan chop ??

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by EDIPO(m): 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
You will survive.

Do not contemplate staying back when you have this brilliant opportunity.

I'm dead sure you'll survive.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by heroshark(m): 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
CProf:
I wrote the standard tests GRE and TOEFL. Had 320 in GRE 115 in TOEFL. Also my cgpa was ok, 3.3/4.
3.3/4 a polytechnic or university? I don't know university use a 4.00 scale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Container Falls Off Trailer On Ojuelegba Bridge, Lagos / Air Peace Promotes Saheed Amodu As Boeing 737 Captain / Plane Crashes Into Car While Trying To Take-off On The Street In Russia (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.