Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? (39664 Views)

Is This America Or A 3rd World Country / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Mom007(f): 6:24am On Jun 10, 2016
Are you active in church? There should be someone who can help you there. Don't throw away the chance of a life time because of 2 months of discomfort else you have your whole life to regret it! Even if you have to live on scraps and in the streets until you find your feet there, get on with it! People have gone through a lot worse and at least you know that the stress has a limited time frame. I am talking too much.., am out!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 6:35am On Jun 10, 2016
DareFadi:

Na wa ooo. Naija getting worse and your are there asking questions instead of getting the hell out

Anyway when you get your visa send me a direct mail with proof and then i send you $100 travel money . All the best
Thanks sir..
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 6:40am On Jun 10, 2016
amanikondo:
Let us know which state and city you are going may be I can help.
Still undecided sir.
I'm weighing my options from the advice given here.
I have 4 offers but I chose university of Rhode island cos it offerred the highest stipend.
I got admitted to Michigan Tech, Tennessee tech and university of Tennessee Knoxville.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by litaninja(m): 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
Guy, just jejely carry your bags and vanish from this country. The uncertainty here far outweighs anything, anywhere.....godspeed.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by arcleye: 7:06am On Jun 10, 2016
just go for it ..... GOD will definitely see you through. #MOVE

MsNas:

I have a few questions for you...

1. What is your major?
2. What city/State are you going to?
3. Care to tell me what you need the $2000 for in the beginning? I mean break it down for me...
4. What do you do presently in Nigeria?

Answer those questions and I can give answers to your concerns based on your answers to the questions I asked above

From your answers, I will advise you to go for it. You're in the STEM field and you have a good chance of landing a job. I don't know much about RI (Rhode Island), but from my research about the town, it's a pretty small town. Cost of living is low You have a high survival chance. I don't know why your school is insisting you pay for health insurance upfront though, most schools will put it in your student bill and you can pay later. Contact the International Student Office or the Students Accounts Office to be double sure about the payment.

Try and connect with Nigerian students who are currently studying in the same school, they might help out with accommodation for a while, pending when you start getting your paycheck. If not, try to hustle the money from Nigeria and pay back when you get your checks. All in all, it's worth a shot and you'll be a fool (excuse my language, cheesy) to pass up on this opportunity. You've got a really good offer that many would kill for. Don't throw it away.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 10, 2016
admax:
Talk to your relatives, friends, etc Do all you can to get the money, if not possible please stay in the country.

You can travel for your Masters later. Who will change this country if you run away now?

So what have you done so far in changing the country?
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I need your advice and help on what to do because I am totally confused.
I am 23, holds a Bsc from a Nigerian university.
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
I can huzzle and get my flight fee because I still have 2 months to resumption.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
School resumes August 14, what should I do?
Tried taking up loan from the bank but didn't work out.
I am confused at the moment.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Or should I just forget about my America dream
I have exhausted all my options, God help me.
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

I am at a crucial point in my life.
Thanks

Brother, go to America. If you run out of money while there, send me a PM. We'll do something about it.
I wish you a safe flight.
Please don't give up quarter to your victory.
Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 10, 2016
banmee:
O'boy, forget going to America. That place sucks. I would seriously recommend staying in Nigeria. Way better. cool

Oh the guy living in fort polk. Awww. Maybe you need to change your environment.
And the US is worse than Nigeria? Are you trolling or what?
Please tell me the name of just one school in Nigeria that will give him stipends while he goes for classes? *crickets*
Troll.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Burgerlomo: 7:32am On Jun 10, 2016
Addicted2Women:
Who told you that you need $2000 to survive for the first month ??
Have you ever heard of Chinese buffet ?? Price rite ??
Wetin you wan chop ??
A loaf of bread is 99 cent

Food is the cheapest thing you can buy in America.

You need no health insurance.

Again, where this country called Nigeria is headed to, you better get the fucck out.

Welcome to the land of opportunities.
Even if you graduate, you will still stay here for a long time before you start thinking of going back

America is the only and best country in the whole wide world, other countries are just local governments

Gbam! You nailed it
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by opribo(m): 7:38am On Jun 10, 2016
America is a land of opportunity, there are many people like you they took the chance they are not dead and they have survived. Once you have you focus right and your head straight up you will survive. Another good thing is your age, you are young and this is the right time to take that chance. So go on I am totally with you but make sure you dont forget Naija in whatever you do because home is home.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Burgerlomo: 8:01am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

Thanks

Please curse anybody who discourage you not to go because such people are enemies of progress, see you will survive when you get there no matter what. Good luck and Congratulations. I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Oghumu1(m): 8:11am On Jun 10, 2016
Opportunities like this comes but once, take the risk and go for it, just put God first, he'll carter for you. Nothinh good comes easy, you might be the one to open the doors of blessings to your family so please brother grab this opportunity and take the risk. U can still seek for help in your church, talk to your pastors they will help you. Goodluck
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Burgerlomo: 8:11am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
Please advice a brother.

N.B

Thanks

Yes, travel to America to pursue your dreams, you will survive, you can go to the school office when you get there and speak to the guardian counselor about your predicament, and I believe they will assist you, or work something out with you till you settle down. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 10, 2016
19naia:

If you can get to US legally and all you are worried about is your first month, then that is no reason to worry. You have good provision if what stipend you claimed is true. And the possibility to secure a job in USA with a Masters level education is worth more than you can imagine. Salary ranges with a Masters degree can be over N1million a month and easily N2million in other places or with the right position over time.
Do Not Let One Month Define The Rest Of Your Life.

There are americans right now without a penny to their name and other foreigners who arrive with nothing. USA is the easiest place to be broke even if you have no friends or family that can help you. Every city will have charity places that you can search out such as "food banks" and even "homeless shelters" if you really need. Also finding friends and random people to help is not a big problem and the streets are so nice that if you find yourslef having to beg on the streets, you will feel like you are in oppulence compared to hustling publc transport daily on Nigerians roads to and fro a professional job or even compared to attending the finest schools in Nigeria.
You cannot starve to death at all in USA. The very first day any one collapses in the street from hunger weaknesses, ambulance will come to pick them up in airconditined luxury with the best medical equipment. And if you are admited to the hospital and they find it is hunger doing you, you will be fed and even refered for social assistance such as food bank connections. Many people every day are taken like this because of drug and drinkng excesses and rarely hunger.
Test what i am saying and see, you will have to be high on terrible mind bending drugs or lost in the wilderness to die from hunger in USA.
When the weather gets cold, homeless shelters are there and they even go out lookng for homeless people sleeping outside in the extreme cold, to bring them in so they do not die from extreme cold exposure. When the weather is warm, i am telling you, most street areas and under some bridges are cleaner and more well made than the dormitory i stayed in during school in Nigeria at federal government college. Even prisons here fine and clean pass dormitories at any major University in Nigeria. Airconditioning in prison sef, e pass air conditioning in many Nigerian hotels. Come and test it , i no lie grin

Your worst experence here from being broke for just a month, is nothing compared to working in Nigeria with no guarantee that you will be paid your salary for the next three months and still have to go to work. Any one who can rationalize working in Nigeria with risk of 3 or more months of unpaid salary ,but questions going to USA because of lacking the first Months expenses, is missing the real picture.
There are homeless people who live on the USA streets and they are fatter than the fattest person in Nigeria. They chop well under all conditions. The only USA people that truly look starved and like they are not well cared for are the ones who squander every generosity and good sense on drugs and other serious vice. You will be shocked to see how some oyibo here look devastated like ethiopia famine and BokoHaram attack combined, yet their environment is so pristine and generous. They have abundant supply of drug and loss of control of their will power to overcome. And many die young and suffering. Suffering the excessive abundance disease maligned to bad choices.
Other wise, there is no way at all you will suffer from being broke in USA for only a month. People with homes and good jobs in Nigeria suffer and even die sick from not getting paid salary.
I have witnessed cases in USA where the judge awarded foriegn workers millions of dollars and free permanent residency in USA because their boss did not pay them for many months and threatened to deport them if they complained. The boss lost the business and got jail time and the workers became rich. Even the free money Stipend will be paid faithfully. Salary, stipends or allowances are taken very seriously in USA and can bring expensive legal recourse against the boss owing salary even if it is the government.

Depending on what city you are living, that $1500 can be more than enough or not enough if you have to pay for housing out of it. Some places can have housing as low as $500 a month with all light and satelite TV signal expenses included, while others will cost $1500 monthly to rent even a basic small apartment. Shared housing where you rent a room in a house with other students will always bring cost down lowest ,and if you are in a small town, $1000 a month will cover housing and food. That cost can even be less if you learn where to find food banks giving out free food, even clothing can be found for free at charity places. Also ,other income opportunities are possible if you are in real need.
There are Oyino USA citizens who have only $800 a month with children to feed. They manage by accessing charity for free food and free clothing and other things.

Somewhere in USA tonight, there is a Nigerian (actually many grin) sleeping on the street with no home, no money or job. Some are in prison right now sef. And one thing they all have in common from that lowly position, is they fear deportation back to Nigeria more than their lowly circumstances.

I see homeless people on the streets in USA where they are laying/sleeping on the concrete and i look all around them and the place surpasses even the well manicured grounds of sheraton hotel compound. In nigeria, i see people with jobs such as lorry drivers or street hawkers or danfo conductor ,and they sleep on the streets and you cannot find any where as lowly in USA. The homeless people in USA have access to public toilets at many public parks and those toilets surpass anything I had in dormitory life in nigeria where i paid school fees to be. In fact, we had snake infested filthy pit latrines or the bush as the best toilet options.

Dont cheat yourself out of an opportunity so good that you can't imagine how good until you come and see for yourself. I hope the visa and all comes through and you may lose respect for Nigeria's efforts as many Nigerians do when they get accustomed to life in USA. Many Nigerians in USA will refuse to live free of charge in the finest hotel in Nigeria for the rest of their days if they could just stay in USA and be employed under a master degree qualification and earn enough to live and average life in USA and also earn a fair pension after 30 years.

Here is a picture of the worst area to live in in my city right now. And i would live there if my only other option was the finer areas of Lekki in Lagos or finer places of Abuja. Stabilty and functional roads, tap water, electricity and many other public services on top of opportunities.
Look at how people dont use fences and gates to conceal or protect their houses, and this is the high crime are, and still there is less home robbery crimes here than in Nigerian areas with houses fenced in and gated. They park the cars on the streets with no worries.

BTW, this area and that house with the flowers and banner is Muhammad Ali's house where he was raised as a boy when he first took up the art of boxing. It has declined into one of the worst areas in the city and is very cheap to rent there. But the champions house is preserved there and made a monument.
Bro I love the way you patiently encouraged him through your write up, it's really nice of you, am sure the op will be optimistic after reading this as this writeup is more than enough to help him,am certain he won't let go of this opportunity, kudos to you brother.by the way, where in the states are you?

8 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by adahgold(m): 9:15am On Jun 10, 2016
Run commot cause am about to do so.. ...

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by femysmart: 9:16am On Jun 10, 2016
Flashh:
There are two decisions involved for you here Mr... If you want to take the risk, you can go on and travel to the U.S.

If you don't want to take the risk, stay in Nigeria. (You can achieve anywhere).

It all depends on you.

Yes you can achieve anywhere.......but someplace you acheive with little effort
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by femysmart: 9:23am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
Please advice a brother.

N.B

Thanks

You know what to do already.....you just want to show off what you have. Or you want accommodation in the white house ni?
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by trumpclinton: 9:33am On Jun 10, 2016
yes na! America is the answer. Do not take a decision you will regret later. Don't not take a decision that will make your children annoyed with u in future. My father got an opportunity to study in UK but opted for a ministry job in Nigeria and furthered his edu in a naija university. The painful part of the story Is that I was born two years later .
When I was struggling for a UK visit some years back he said " if not for my myopic decision many years ago , you would ave been born in the UK.
Imagine the way I felt.

I am not saying Nigeria is bad oo. but studying abroad gives you an edge.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by DareFadi(f): 10:15am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:

Thanks sir..

I am not sure how wise it is to do a whole post about this when its really obvious on the better choice . And then in followup comments you putting details about yourself . If you have put this in the student visa section PART 9 just as a question then that one thing , but to make a whole post about your situation

If you are intelligent enough to get these offer you should be smart enough to make decisions that would benefit YOU without seeking validation from the Public........ Not a very smart decision at all .

If there was no internet would you not have the sense to make good decisions .... Be smart and careful what you put out there . Common sense is more than been book smart

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 10:38am On Jun 10, 2016
DareFadi:

I am not sure how wise it is to do a whole post about this when its really obvious on the better choice . And then in followup comments you putting details about yourself . If you have put this in the student visa section PART 9 just as a question then that one thing , but to make a whole post about your situation

If you are intelligent enough to get these offer you should be smart enough to make decisions that would benefit YOU without seeking validation from the Public........ Not a very smart decision at all .

If there was no internet would you not have the sense to make good decisions .... Be smart and careful what you put out there . Common sense is more than been book smart
NOTED SIR.
I'm not here to show off.
I've been tru a lot trying to figure out what to do,running skelter.( main reason why I posted this)
I wanted to give up, but now I'm taking the risk. Would try all my possible best.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by DareFadi(f): 10:44am On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:

NOTED SIR.
I'm not here to show off.
I've been tru a lot trying to figure out what to do,running skelter.( main reason why I posted this)
I wanted to give up, but now I'm taking the risk. Would try all my possible best.

Showoff ke... this has nothing to do with showoff

This is about been smart and making decisions that are best for you without shouting ontop of the roof . Dont put your life and details out there. It adds no value . You still have many huddles in life to cross , you never even cross f1visa. The public wont be there to hold your hands in all huddles.

Put on your hustle hat and swim to the end. People with poorer background fight to d end . Asking for help is not bad but this post is just too much with all ur info out there

I still owe you $100 travel money but be wiser as you grow up and learn . First lesson limit what you put out there

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Lewist(m): 1:15pm On Jun 10, 2016
@op this country is a land of milk and honey,you better find your way here if you can,look I just tire for you now you have d opportunity and you still dey there dey ask question abt US

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by sleek82(m): 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2016
don4real:

Bro, how did you go about the application for the visa then, yourself or with the help of an agent?
i did it with my friend and we are both here with our families but it was easier that time....its much harder now. Check cic.gc.ca for details on express entry

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by sleek82(m): 1:20pm On Jun 10, 2016
Obiwannn:

Niko hw u take apply for this PR Visa
please check express entry on cic.gc.ca
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by sleek82(m): 1:24pm On Jun 10, 2016
MagnaB:

Hello sir. I am trying to get to the university of Alberta for my master's study. Is there any help u can be of to me.
im sorry, there is little i can do as the university is about 3 hrs drive to where i reside...the university is in edmonton while i live in calgary

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Container Falls Off Trailer On Ojuelegba Bridge, Lagos / Plane Crashes Into Car While Trying To Take-off On The Street In Russia (Video) / Aerial View Of The Abuja City Gate And The National Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.