Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,244 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? (39652 Views)

Is This America Or A 3rd World Country / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by skedy1(m): 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Good day nairalanders,
I need your advice and help on what to do because I am totally confused.
I am 23, holds a Bsc from a Nigerian university.
I recently got into a masters program in the US with full tuition waiver and a generous monthly stipend that would cater for my living expenses. I already have my particulars to apply for my F1 student visa but I'm scared because of the uncertainty that lies ahead; also the exchange rate is not helping matters cry
I am sure I would get the visa but as I'm talking, I only have 100k left on me because I spent a lot during the application processes.
I can huzzle and get my flight fee because I still have 2 months to resumption.
Now, my headache is that I would still need up to $2000(roughly #700,000) to survive for the first month, pay health insurance and other small fees before I start receiving my monthly stipend of $1500.
School resumes August 14, what should I do?
Tried taking up loan from the bank but didn't work out.
I am confused at the moment.
Should I go ahead and get the flight fee, get to US with almost no amount except God provides an helper?
Or should I just forget about my America dream
I have exhausted all my options, God help me.
Please advice a brother.

N.B
My parents are old pensioners that only God knows when the government would answer them.

I am at a crucial point in my life.
Thanks

Cprof, pls give me proper intel on this masters program, tell me everything I need to know!!

Or maybe you should PM me! Tanx
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2016
DareFadi:

Showoff ke... this has nothing to do with showoff

This is about been smart and making decisions that are best for you without shouting ontop of the roof . Dont put your life and details out there. It adds no value . You still have many huddles in life to cross , you never even cross f1visa. The public wont be there to hold your hands in all huddles.

Put on your hustle hat and swim to the end. People with poorer background fight to d end . Asking for help is not bad but this post is just too much with all ur info out there

I still owe you $100 travel money but be wiser as you grow up and learn . First lesson limit what you put out there

Thank you sir.
I appreciate it

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:

The package doesn't include health insurance.
I'm not sure about the flexibility of selecting insurance company but the health insurance is $600/yr.

$600/year is pretty good deal. You don't need more than $1000 to survive the first month before your stipend kicks in. Share an apartment with another student ( depending on the city, that's between $250 to $600). Food is affordable (150-300)

Consider yourself lucky enough to get funded for Masters. Most dept. and professors/principal investigators only consider PhD track students these days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by seangy4konji: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2016
No let devil hear say you doubt...some need just 1% chance not to talk of 100 percent to enter USA at this critical stage of Nigeria.....

Just one chance...

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 10, 2016
People exhibit a lot of ignorance here. My parents couldn't afford to send anyone even to Ghana, yet I had an advanced degree from a foreign country. Ironically, the only country I ever paid school fees was in Nigeria. Yes, you could get tuition waiver, health insurance and stipend up to $40,000/yr in the US.

My advice to young students or graduates with a decent cgpa, rather than waste time practicing job aptitude tests, commit that time to GRE/TOEFL. If you're still in school, approach a professor in your university with a good publication history, tell him you would like to assist him in his/her project. Even if you couldn't get a publication from that, you could talk about the experience in your statement of purpose(SOP), an essay every candidate is made to write. What's more, you'd make for yourself a good refree because recommendation letter is an essential part of application.

I get it, most Nigerian professors are not really nice and approachable, but I doubt they'll waive off an opportunity to have a research assistant for free, borrowing from my own experience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by CProf: 4:01pm On Jun 10, 2016
Thanks everybody for the advice.
I have already made up my mind.
God bless y'all

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by biikeys(m): 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
CProf:
Thanks everybody for the advice.
I have already made up my mind.
God bless y'all

Good you did. Don't forget God.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Trini45: 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
Flashh:

I know the situation in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. But that doesn't mean one can't achieve his/her goals in life.

Those who aren't opportuned to travel abroad can't commit suicide and say it's the end of it.
and those who have the slightest opportunity should run for it...simple
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Flashh: 9:36pm On Jun 10, 2016
Trini45:
and those who have the slightest opportunity should run for it...simple
Lol... If you say so.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Obiwannn: 10:57pm On Jun 10, 2016
sleek82:
please check express entry on cic.gc.ca
I have some questions. Sent you a pm
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by don4real: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2016
sleek82:
i did it with my friend and we are both here with our families but it was easier that time....its much harder now. Check cic.gc.ca for details on express entry

Thanks
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by 19naia(m): 5:40pm On Jun 14, 2016
Thompsonneyo:
Bro I love the way you patiently encouraged him through your write up, it's really nice of you, am sure the op will be optimistic after reading this as this writeup is more than enough to help him,am certain he won't let go of this opportunity, kudos to you brother.by the way, where in the states are you?

I stay in Muhammad Ali's home town grin
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Royat1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2016
CProf:

NOTED SIR.
I'm not here to show off.
I've been tru a lot trying to figure out what to do,running skelter.( main reason why I posted this)
I wanted to give up, but now I'm taking the risk. Would try all my possible best.
Boss what course did u study at undergraduate level ? And what was your Cgpa ,did u take TOEFL and Gre? Please o share with me how u got d scholarship
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by DareFadi(f): 11:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
CProf:

Thanks sir..

How u getting along with everything. ...send me a pm
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by indianeagle(m): 11:00am On Mar 13, 2017
Indian Eagle offers cheapest flights to US. For best offers on flight bookings to US at Indian Eagle, we suggest you to book your flights 21-56 days in advance. However, if you have missed out on advance booking, you can still call us for we also offer cheapest last minute flights to US under attractive schemes like ‘Eagle Deals’ and ‘Secret Deals’. If you book with us today, you save a huge amount on your next booking with us. To know more about these offers you can either call us or log on to our official website.
Re: Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? by Chelseafan1: 9:38am On Apr 17, 2017
CProf:

1 &2). I studied industrial chemistry, going for MS Environmental chemistry at University of Rhode island,, Kingston.
3) I would pay a deposit of $600 befr registration.
Health insurance is $400/semester and i must pay befr reg. I checked up rooms on craiglist and the cheapest is $500/month. $300-$500 for miscellanous.
4) I finished NYSC in April. Currently coaching some students for neco and GRE where I make 60/month

Bro, Can u send me a copy of Gre questions please.
Phemmypresh2@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Container Falls Off Trailer On Ojuelegba Bridge, Lagos / Air Peace Promotes Saheed Amodu As Boeing 737 Captain / Plane Crashes Into Car While Trying To Take-off On The Street In Russia (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.