Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,116 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:12 AM

What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? (1935 Views)

Driver Crashes Into A Residential Building After Accident Caused By Insect. Pics / Nigerian Man Yet To Be Located After Being Granted UK Residence Permit. Photo / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by olimeh13(m): 3:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
Although I haven't been to an embassy neither have I travelled out of Nigeria, but I have heard people talk about VISA, RESIDENTIAL PERMIT and WORK PERMIT but I get confuse anytime I hear people talk about this traveling documents.

I will be glad if someone can please explain the difference between them and if embassy also issue out RESIDENTIAL PERMIT and WORK PERMIT...

Your explanation can add up to my knowledge...

Thanks in advance...

cc:- mods kindly move this topic to front page so that I can get people's comment and post... thanks...
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
Nice thread. I myself don't even know it

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by dhavel: 4:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
olimeh13:
Although I haven't been to an embassy neither have I travelled out of Nigeria, but I have heard people talk about VISA, RESIDENTIAL PERMIT and WORK PERMIT but I get confuse anytime I hear people talk about this traveling documents.

I will be glad if someone can please explain the difference between them and if embassy also issue out RESIDENTIAL PERMIT and WORK PERMIT...

Thanks in advance...

cc:- mods kindly move this topic to front page so that I can get people's comment and post... thanks...

1. Visa: most be giving to anybody who wish to spend holiday outside his national country and can't WORK just to have fun.

2. Work Permit: after been giving visa to travel outside the country and d person. decided to make money the person needs a Work permit from the countries home affairs before he or she will be able to stay and work.....same goes for Study permit. No study permit No education abroad.

3. Resident Permit: should be issued to any person or who has stayed in a country for over 5-10 years without travelling back home or don wed a full citizen.

that's how much I understood it.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by olimeh13(m): 5:19pm On Jun 10, 2016
dhavel:

1. Visa: most be giving to anybody who wish to spend holiday outside his national country and can't WORK just to have fun.

2. Work Permit: after been giving visa to travel outside the country and d person. decided to make money the person needs a Work permit from the countries home affairs before he or she will be able to stay and work.....same goes for Study permit. No study permit No education abroad.

3. Resident Permit: should be issued to any person or who has stayed in a country for over 5-10 years without travelling back home or don wed a full citizen.

Thanks alot... but can resident permit and work permit be issue in the embassy here in Nigeria before traveling to that country If no, where can one obtain that
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by justwise(m): 5:28pm On Jun 10, 2016
olimeh13:

Thanks in advance...

Visa is just a family name for different types of permits that allows an individual to visit a foreign country, or to work, study, do business, live permanently etc...

America classifies it into different categories:

They have:

A-1 visa for Foreign Government Officials: Ambassador, Public Minister, Career Diplomat or Consular Officer, or Immediate Family

A-2 visa for Foreign Government Officials: Other Foreign Government Official or Employee, or Immediate Family

A-3 visa ..down to V-3 visa with individual requirements and entitlements

The UK classifies it into Tiers

Tier 1 visa for Investor ,Entrepreneur , Graduate Entrepreneur and Exceptional Talent

Tier 2 visa for Intra Company Transfers

Tier 4 visa down to Tier 5

Then you have spouse visa, visitor visa etc

Canada will call it study permit (F-1 visa for US or Tier 4 visa for the UK)

Is like somebody telling you that he is a Dr or a lawyer and you asked what type of lawyer you will hear things like family lawyer, employment lawyer, business etc

Work Permit can sometimes be called a visa e.g H-1B visa in US is a permit that is given to an individual in Specialty Occupation

They have that type of visa/permit from H-1B, H-1B1 down to Q1

In the UK Tier 1 or Tier 2 are all types of work permits and can also be called a visa.

Resident permit is called different names in different countries..US-green card, the UK- Indefinite Leave to Remain and Canada PR(Resident permit)

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by dhavel: 5:58pm On Jun 11, 2016
olimeh13:

Thanks alot... but can resident permit and work permit be issue in the embassy here in Nigeria before traveling to that country If no, where can one obtain that

Yes Work permit can be issued from there embassy in Nigeria but only if the company the person is to work with over there is involved. e.g the visa will be bizness visa instead of visit visa.

NO resident permit can't be issued from here, what there embassy can do is grant you 10years visa with multiple entry i.e

residents permit, green card or stay in handled by the each country's Immigration Office in there home land.

my understanding.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 12, 2016
^^I beg to differ. I was going through the Australia thread. Many skilled workers were issued permanent residence when they were still in Nigeria.

@Topic
Visa is just some name given to the various permits that allows you into a country. It also has an expiry date. Examples:

Tourist/visitors visa: allows tourist get into a country for the duration of their stay. Sometimes a country immigration/embassy/high commission could issue out a tourist visa of up to 2 years.

Student Visa: issued out to students for the duration of their course. Some countries issue a student visa with a work permit included in the visa conditions (i.e. the right to work for say 20 hours/week on your stu7den visa)

Business/conference: for those conducting business legally in the country and for those attending conferences or seminars

Graduate visa: for some countries, this is for people who have just finished studying(on student visa) but need a less restricted visa so they can work longer hours. Some countries limit students on student visa to 20 hours per week work. But with a graduate visa, you are allowed to work as many hours as reasonably possible and healthy and safe grin

Permanent residence (PR): Like green card, Canada PR card. Some countries issue Visas instead of cards. For some countries, these visa could last up to 5 years but can be renewed without hassle as it gives you right to remain in that country indefinitely

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 6:25am On Jun 12, 2016
dhavel:

I beg to differ again cheesy. A resident permit for some countries can be issued regardless of if the person has left the country to visit say Naija or not.

Some countries do not mind as long as that person hasn't spent a maximum of 90 days for each travel/year e.t.c
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by justwise(m): 6:29am On Jun 12, 2016
WellEndowed:

I beg to differ again cheesy. A resident permit for some countries can be issued regardless of if the person has left the country to visit say Naija or not.

Some countries do not mind as long as that person hasn't spent a maximum of 90 days for each travel/year e.t.c

Example of such country is?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 12, 2016
justwise:

Example of such country is?

Australia cool
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by justwise(m): 6:43am On Jun 12, 2016
WellEndowed:

Australia cool

You are referring to their work program?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 12, 2016
justwise:

You are referring to their work program?

I don't know what you mean?? but let me explain my post this way.

There are students in Australia who travel to Nigeria every year most times in December. Some are single parents and have their parents in Nigeria caring for their child. Lets just say a few of them after studies were granted permanent residence either by sponsorship or before their 18 months graduate visa ran out.

My post which you quoted was me disagreeing with dHavel who stated that one can only be granted PR if they have NEVER left the country for the 5-10 years they have supposedly been in that country
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by dhavel: 6:58am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=WellEndowed post=46495915]

I don't know what you mean?? but let me explain my post this way.

There are students in Australia who travel to Nigeria every year most times in December. Some are single parents and have their parents in Nigeria caring for their child. Lets just say a few of them after studies were granted permanent residence either by sponsorship or before their 18 months graduate visa ran out.

My post which you quoted was me disagreeing with dHavel who stated that one can only be granted PR if they have NEVER left the country for the 5-10 years they have supposedly been in that country

hummm a very close person to me travelled to usa and left after His 4 years and was not granted Stay...they told him if only he had waited another year before leaving the country.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by dhavel: 7:08am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=dhavel post=46523590][/quote]
he had to use another 5 years b4 he was giving his U.S.A passport
Re: What Are The Differences Between Visa, Residential Permit And A Work Permit? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 13, 2016
Before I became a citizen of my adopted country, I travelled every year. It did not stop me from getting my PR or my citizenship. If I remember what I was told by immi, as long as I haven't spent 90 days outside the country per travel or so. Not leaving the country for a visit before a PR grant or citizenship is unrealistic. I would like someone in the states and in the UK (cc justwise) to clarify how's it's done over there

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Travel To Haiti ? / In / Ethiopian Airlines To Offer 12-hour Flight From Nigeria To The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.