Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. (24141 Views)

"Olodo Governor That Can't Pay Salary" Senator Dino Melaye Lambasts Yahaya Bello / It's A Shame That 27 Out Of 36 States Can't Pay Salaries- Buhari / States Get Another Bailout To Pay Workers Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by wengerjay(m): 6:26pm On Jun 10, 2016
Ondo State Governor Olusegun Mimiko announced on Thursday that the State government is “broke” and therefore cannot afford to pay the striking civil servants’ their salaries.

Mr. Mimiko announced this while addressing the protesting workers, explaining that the State treasury is empty and that the government is struggling to survive.

“So, we can no longer pay salaries, even when they are due,” the embattled governor said to the workers.

The protesting workers in a deliberate action had earlier shut down the entrance to the government house to prevent Mr. Mimiko and his convoy from entering the building.

“The protesting workers disallowed him [Mimiko] entry into the government house and forced his convoy to stop at a meter to the main gate of the now ‘abandoned’ compound.

“Their real plan was to compel the governor to alight personally from his vehicle and publicly address them over their demands.

“Addressing them, Mimiko convincingly told the protesting civil servants to buckle up for a financial crash, as the State is broke,” our correspondent reported.

However, irritated by the action of some protesting workers who continuously hurled abuses on his government in a rude manner, the governor threatened to sack them from the services of his government.

“If you continue in this manner, I will sack you from the services of this State government, you can bet me! Because I am still your employer,” he said.

SaharaReporters learned that the workers are demanding the payment of their accumulated salaries from December and January till date.

In January 2016, Mr. Mimiko advised civil servants in the workforce of his government to engage in subsistence farming due to the declining economy of Ondo State and Nigeria at large.

This was as a result of a drastic drop in oil derivation funds from the international market, our correspondent further reported.

“You can do this at the backyard or front of your compound because I can’t guarantee the financial status of this State any longer,” Mr. Mimiko said when he attended a program at the State event center.

During Thursday’s protest, Mr. Mimiko spoke further and explained that the State monthly wage bill including pensions is N3.9 billion, adding that the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) still stands at about one third of the wage bill.

“Our monthly wage bill is still N3. 9 billion, and all the funds we are collecting from Abuja [federal allocation], oil derivation funds, Value Added Tax, Internally Generated Revenue put together is N1. 3 billion,” the governor told the protesting workers.

Mr. Mimiko begged the government employees to resume work for the sake of dying and sick patients in the government clinic, arguing that the strike is taking a toll on the health sector of the State.

“I am begging you because the continuation of this strike will not bring us any money,” he said.

On the strike, the organized labor leaders also held a meeting with traditional rulers in the State led by a monarch from Mr. Mimiko’s hometown, the Osemawe of Ondo Kingdom, Victor Kiladejo, but it ended in a stalemate.

Bosede Daramola, the embattled chairperson of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Ondo State, disclosed that the protesting workers are gradually dying of hunger and cannot continue to work on empty stomachs.

Mr. Daramola also declared that the strike would continue until the workers are paid their salaries
http://saharareporters.com/2016/06/10/ondo-state-broke-i-can%E2%80%99t-pay-workers-mimiko-says

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by CyerSeries: 6:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
True federalism is the way.. Its now or never!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by bensonlee770: 6:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
So once the corruption charges against the thieves who have bled our economy to a state of Anaemia are dropped, Ondo state will be financially buoyant to pay workers.
Mr Governor, your immunity is expiring and no amount of pressure from your 'Co - travellers' will stop you from being charged for corrupt practices perpetrated while in office.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 6:44pm On Jun 10, 2016
PDP......
Change the Change...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by persius555(m): 7:05pm On Jun 10, 2016
I cant remember any governor that has willingly resigned from office.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by wengerjay(m): 7:10pm On Jun 10, 2016
bensonlee770:
So once the corruption charges against the thieves who have bled our economy to a state of Anaemia are dropped, Ondo state will be financially buoyant to pay workers.
Mr Governor, your immunity is expiring and no amount of pressure from your 'Co - travellers' will stop you from being charged for corrupt practices perpetrated while in office.
Mimiko goofed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Leopardd(m): 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2016
I tot they have oyel in large quantities.

Osun, Ekiti, Ondo...

More still to come,

Niger Delta, una see why are against Resource control? cheesy cheesy

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by betterABIAstate: 7:19pm On Jun 10, 2016
But ondo produce more oil than the entire southeast na

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Pavarottii(m): 7:24pm On Jun 10, 2016
Very soon only Rivers, Lagos, Delta, Kaduna and Akwa Ibom that will be able to pay salaries.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by hundredhunndred: 7:26pm On Jun 10, 2016
betterABIAstate:
But ondo produce more oil than the entire southeast na

Bigot, Bayelsa a ND state is alsl owing 6 month salary. I know you are pained cos of Ondo, you will just kill yourself over nothing.

116 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by hundredhunndred: 7:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
Leopardd:
I tot they have oyel in large quantities.

Osun, Ekiti, Ondo...

More still to come,

Niger Delta, una see why are against Resource control? cheesy cheesy

So Ondo state is not Niger delta again? Lmaoo. Ibo man and greed.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by chinchum(m): 7:31pm On Jun 10, 2016
Pavarottii:
Very soon only Rivers, Lagos, Delta, Kaduna and Akwa Ibom that will be able to pay salaries.

Maybe you meant Lagos. This moth and next month allocation will be close to nothing, and the oil producing states will be hit like never before.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by wasco24: 7:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
cool
Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by myners007: 7:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
Its ironical for the Southwestern States to complain of being broke after voting for CHANGE.......In life you can only reap what you sow.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by chimah3(m): 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
Just negodu

2 Likes

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by justicejay(m): 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
Everybody is broke.
Even buhari ear is broke.
But hey come, don't tell me you are broke when you and your cabinet are still collecting your salary

8 Likes

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by lovebird65(m): 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
Okezie ikpeazu the best governor soo far diz year

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Angelo45(m): 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2016
I just dey observe

3 Likes

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
Can't pay workers? Lair. Are you APC?

1 Like

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
I told you people it's just a matter of time yorubaas will be exposed for the propaganda and mendacity they have peddled for decades. Like they told us... Ondo GDP is 10x larger than all SE states GDP. Ondo oil is larger than all SE states. Okay no worry! This is just the beginning...wait until oil revenue drops to Zero, you will see alamajiri status in SW...people begging for food with bowls. Fear of this is why they love One Nigeria!

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by chiedu7: 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
[size=13pt]Another Promise Cancelled[/size]

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by dhardline(m): 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
More hunger and more robberies looming.

This reccession we are in is obviously going to be the worst ever...

To your tents o isreal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by johnwizey: 7:35pm On Jun 10, 2016
Dis country tire me o

1 Like

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Tonnierichy(m): 7:36pm On Jun 10, 2016
Say Godddddd

1 Like

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by SleekyGee(m): 7:37pm On Jun 10, 2016
Rubbish! Even if u can't add to the state by building infrastructures do not subtract from it by holding the salaries of civil servants
What's wrong with South - West governors and salary delays (except lagos state) can't oyo , etiki, Osun and ondo state borrow some ideas from lagos state on how to generate internal income instead of depending on the government

It's so sad cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Lucasbible: 7:37pm On Jun 10, 2016
Everyone depenss on Niger Delta. ABEG how do they explain it in their local dialect that their salary has to be paid by Niger Deltans ? Na wa o

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by Built2last: 7:38pm On Jun 10, 2016
Mark my word...Most Governors will start shouting by the time we enter last quarter of the year.

Governors will soon stop using convoy because people will stone them.....

Dialogue is forever better than violence.

While the Ijaw youth council wrote several open letters to mr President to rethink his actions on Niger Delta maritime university and many other issues...

Some mofos cheered him on ..The new Sheriff is in town...

They forgot that you need money to fight and sustain war.

Nigetia is broke. With less than 26 billion in reserve you can't allow crisis start if you have sense.

He is a general, a no nonsense man. He will crush them like Bokoharam. ..almost two months now..The pipelines are still up in flame...Our president is still looking for health in UK....

Beg those boys....Ondo people will never go violent.

But for the North. ..it will be a disaster when the starvation start.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by OjukwuWarBird: 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2016
No SE/SS oil money No Salary. grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by betterABIAstate: 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2016
hundredhunndred:

Bigot, Bayelsa a ND state is alsl owing 6 month salary. I know you are pained cos of Ondo, you will just kill yourself over nothing.
what did I say?
Ondo produces more oil than the whole southeast na.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by martineverest(m): 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2016
another pdp govnor again?...bayelsa,ekiti and now,ondo..........pdp,broke and corruption are like bread,butter and jam

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by armadeo(m): 7:43pm On Jun 10, 2016
N.a. today.

Naija

Chai governors are confessing. Thank Gos for governor Ambode and lagos state oh. Lagos workers no even understand this one.

Chai. There is God oo9oooohh.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo State Is Broke,I Can't Pay Workers, Mimiko Says. by vikass: 7:43pm On Jun 10, 2016
But u can pay politician

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Williams and Associates Predicts Buhari’s 2019 Defeat And Atiku's Victory / Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Among Biggest Predictions For Nigeria In 2020 / APC Campaign Rally In Ovia South-West (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.