Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,699 members, 7,805,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Move Back To Nigeria Club - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Move Back To Nigeria Club (10914 Views)

A Thread For People Who Wants To Leave Nigeria (move Out Of Nigeria Club) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Move Back To Nigeria Club by ell77(f): 5:40pm On Nov 25, 2006
JUST WAN'T TO POST SOME STORIES FOR THOSE PLANNING OR CONSIDERING MOVING BACK TO NAIJA. FOUND THIS SITE ONLINE AND THEY HELP PEOPLE RELOCATE THERE ARE ALOT OF STORIES TOO. I AM NOT INVOLVED IN THIS ORGANISATION OR ANYTHING BUT IT SEEMS LEGITIMATE. JUST GONNA POST SOME PEOPLE'S STORIES HERE FIND THE REST ON THE SITE (http://www.es-africa.com/).

Ohi's Story (http://www.es-africa.com/morestories.asp?action=article&id=11)

I left Nigeria in a hurry. Not because I was running away but because the opportunity to leave came very suddenly. I was about half way through my course in the University of Ibadan, sitting at home on one of those long strikes when a friend suggested I explored schooling abroad. A few weeks, and many expensive phone calls later, I was on my way to a sleepy university town in the UK, recommended by my head of department. It was a miracle that even in the midst of a strike, I was able to get my transcript and a covering letter within two days and without parting with a kobo. Just goes to show that the system can and does sometimes work. It was easy to go, but hard to leave in a way. The experience was different from the times I had been on holiday, but I was finally going to do a course that was more practical than the almost purely theory based education I had been getting. It was an adventure, so like the hobbit, I took up my gear and the sheets of prayers my mom thrust in my hands and off I went.

I had an interesting time in the UK. There were of course many things that one couldn¡¦t do and get at home which I enjoyed. But more than anything, it confirmed to me that people make a system, and that their attitudes and values have more to do with its success than anything else. Why do I say so? For one thing, whilst there was the normal quota of guys doing their best to reinforce the anecdotal stereotypes of Nigerians, there were many more who just decided. They just decided to do it; to put their heads down and work and play and travel and party as hard as anyone else in the world. Academically, most of those who didn¡¦t get caught up with the distractions of the city lights were at the top of their class. So the confidence my parents had gently instilled in me, that we were no different, no better, no worse than any people anywhere in the world, was reinforced. There is no lacking gene, just a different mindset that separates us.

It wasn¡¦t so easy getting adjusted though. I arrived 5 weeks into the school term in the middle of a cold November, was in a town where there was no home food, and there were no other Nigerians in the school! The last shock turned out to be a blessing as it forced me to become immersed in another culture, and not just surround myself with familiar things in a strange land. There were things that I discovered on my travels (the UK being such a great hub for the budget jetsetter) that I took on board as good, and flagged as undesirable things I did not want to see in my homeland. It also made even more glaring the things that make us seem to crawl and not walk like those around us.

After all the studying was done, I made a half hearted attempt to apply for jobs in the UK. I had just finished an MBA, and at the time the market was resistant to foreign hires, not as pliant as it is now with the various migrant schemes. Also the only other English speaking haven, America, needed you to sign away your life and be caged in the albeit large expanse of those united states for a few years. This and a quite prodding, coupled with the weariness of living a somewhat nomadic experience made me look homeward. My whole family was in Nigeria and I wanted to catch up with them again after four years. I had been going back home at least once a year, so I was as comfortable there as in the UK. I was also keen to cut my teeth in the engineering world, and there was and interesting ¡¥world class¡¦ experiment going on back home. So I sent in my CV and got interviewed in the UK, finalizing my employment in Nigeria.

My main worry was having to while away the first year doing youth service. Fortunately, back then I was swimming against the tide (notice the cheeky dig at the newcomersƒº) so employers were open to allowing one fulfill the obligation to the government, whilst taking you on as staff. At that time, it wasn¡¦t against the rules to do so, though I hear that things are different now.

Another concern was being stifled in the system and not being able to develop my skills at a level consistent with the developed world. Again, God smiled on me, as the project was a truly international one, and being cocooned in a little island off the coast of Port Harcourt afforded a buffer that allowed us to create our own little world. This was a place where one believed things could work, and this encouraged us to work without a mindset of total futility. And things did work. There were the usual frustrations, especially those that come with working in an expatriate dominated environment, but I felt a disproportionate amount of energy was spent griping. Whilst a lot of the reasons for undermining the local staff were mere propaganda, the fact still remained there were gaps that needed to be filled to allow one stake a claim for competence. It wasn¡¦t anything magical. There was of course strong incentive for the expatriate staff to preserve the myth of ¡¥expatriate¡¦ being a synonym for ¡¥expert¡¦.

I found that without an inferiority complex one could get a lot further, and that if one stopped talking and kept getting the magical experience that kept us locked out of the key meetings and discussions, your work showed for itself. Even if advancement didn¡¦t come from the organization one was with, I realized there is nothing more valuable that the skills and knowledge one has and the competence to deliver to customer and create wealth. This was something not everyone appreciated. Unfortunately, the mismanagement, abuse and media propaganda that we have experienced have blinded us to our self worth. There is a tangible belief by much too many that things just have to be different in Nigeria. I saw it in the way people triple checked everything I said before daring to believe I could be right, and how some joker could be sitting across the table talking absolute horse manure and their words would be taken as gospel because he didn¡¦t own a green passport. I saw it in the way the security guys check me, but waved the car behind me on. Thankfully, I had a clear focus, and since there was nothing much else to do I threw myself into the work and the seemingly impossible task of actually making a difference in the organization by the way I worked. I tried not to treat people with the same preferential treatment they showed me, me being on the lower end of the food chain of course for being both young and Nigerian. I kept working and learning and trying to block out the noise that told me that things could never work. Did things work out for most people I met there? Not for all, but there were a few of my colleagues that had caught the bug, and who realized that the real value was in the experience that we were gaining and not just a paycheck, and hanging around them made things more bearable. I found there is still too much of a colonial mentality kicking around. The most interesting thing is this is not a function of living/schooling abroad or not, as I find people who have never set foot out of country who get it, and those who have never lived in-country who don¡¦t. If anything, I prefer to tell people I schooled in Ibadan, especially foreigners as they nod knowingly as if to say you could only be that way because you were lucky enough to be molded by their institution. In fact, the most pivotal statement in my educational life (¡¥read to understand, not just to pass exams) came from a Nigerian lecturer. These were things I knew before I left our shores, things my parents instilled by example.

If there was ever a statement that made me want to put some serious hurt on someone was for them to say that things would fall apart if a Nigerian was running my company. They don¡¦t even say present company excluded! That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard and it tells me that for all the education we receive, there isn¡¦t that much enlightenment. It is at par with saying Columbus discovered America or Mungo Park the River Niger. There is a lot of ignorance on both sides of the world economic divide, the difference being they think they can and we can¡¦t and we think they can and we can¡¦t, so they do and we don¡¦t achieve. When the telecoms boom was going to take off, many around me said it would never work. This was Nigeria after all. I stood in amazement, wondering at what level of ignorance could make them think that those who were investing billions of hard earn dollars into a venture had embarked on it without doing their homework! Therein lies the malaise. We believe that things won¡¦t work, so if the builder doesn¡¦t give us a straight wall we shrug and still pay him his full wages. By not being a demanding customer, we rob him of the chance or raising his level of quality and learning something new. I recently showed my mother¡¦s veteran gardener how to get a straight line by tying some rope between two sticks. You should see his hedges now. Last time I was home, my mom was almost bamboozled into buying a brand new water pump, but after checking it out I found it had bad bearings and got it fixed for a fraction of the cost. Were these people stupid or sinister. No, just unaware.

Personally, I don¡¦t think that moving back is for everyone. There are those whose whole family relies on the paycheck they get abroad, so there is a great incentive not to move back. There are others that cannot seem to believe they survived Nigeria and never see themselves going to that ¡¥jungle¡¦. I don¡¦t think that moving back is for them either, but I would like to remind their fake behinds about the times that we slept on springs and washed toilets in boarding school. Not saying it was ideal, or that I require my kids to go through this, but we still had fun through it all and at least it thought us, some of us at least, that we aren¡¦t too big for anything. For one thing it has helped me not to look down or anyone, a quality that I definitely want my kids to imbibe.

But there are a few who make the choice and decide to come home. Now there are a lot of ills in the society, but there is also a lot of potential here. Nigeria is one of the last frontiers. It is the wild wild west of Africa. We have a market of 130 million and fortunes still sitting in the ground. For those who decide to come home, who feel constrained by the limits of being in diaspora or are looking for an opportunity to shape the landscape of a nation, this could be the long term holiday destination of choice.

Be warned though, it is not a quick fix. It is not going to be possible for us to change the sea and air ports, the hygiene of Lagosians or the frustrations of the Cotonou boarder in the second year of our return. This is a mid to long term project peeps, so you just have to keep at it. I feel the best way to ¡¥make a difference¡¦ is to make a truck load of money and do it the right way. Do something productive and value adding: a venture that doesn¡¦t involve oil and gas and government contract. What I think is missing in the country are a few progressive minded people each worth a billion dollars or more: people who will put their vision and passion and the right values into their organizations. Who by the sheer effectiveness, efficiency, quality and value for money would blow all the other jokers out of the market and take on world. Who would have the ear of the government because they make up 10% of the GDP and employ 30% of the professional workforce. That¡¦s what we need. Maybe one day one of those guys would run for president, but if you had serious minded people controlling the economy, who need things to work better to aid them, and who had their own wealth (not just foreign shareholding) at stake, the pressure for change would be better.

If you think this is all pie in the sky check this. Our GDP is about $40 billion, (absolute, PPP adjusted about 100 billion) with oil related proceeds making up the lion share of this. If you could take $1 (=N=140) from every man woman and child in the country you would contribute to 0.3% of our GDP.

For me, coming home was the right decision. I love traveling so the rest of the world never seems too far from me, but my base is still Nigeria. I¡¦m thrilled whenever I hear people who chose to come home, cos then the community grows bigger. We do have ills, but there are usually socio-economic factors that drive them, not an inherent laziness or corruption. So make your choice. If you choose not to come home, then be the best ambassador that you can be, don¡¦t slag off the country at every opportunity, show your kids and the world the best of the culture and drop the worst. And oh, call mom once a week, everyone has a phone now so excuses!

By the way, if you do chose to comeback, remember: the target is 1 billion dollars, US. (by Ohi, Oil and Gas)

1 Like

Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ell77(f): 5:52pm On Nov 25, 2006
Ndidi's Story

If you had asked me during my senior year at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania whether or not I planned on returning to Nigeria upon graduation, I would have responded with a clear “NO.” Given the immense hardships in Nigeria under the Abacha regime, the country’s future looked bleak. Even my parents, who often are so optimistic about Africa, could not imagine that any attractive opportunities existed for me in the Nigerian business landscape. In addition, I had an exciting offer from McKinsey & Co. and was looking forward to starting work in their Chicago office. However, a surprise offer from a start-up company, whose management still cannot explain how they got a hold of my resume, sealed my fate. My six-week internship experience, during the summer of 1995, served as an introduction to the Nigerian corporate environment and gave birth to a fervent desire to return home.

This passion was fuelled by my exposure to the widespread poverty faced by countless Nigerians, the huge social and economic gaps created by our weak and ineffective private and public sectors, the stagnation of most of my peers from high school, and my strong belief that a few small contributions could make a tremendous impact on the lives of people. With each passing day, my burden for women and youth grew stronger, as did my interest in the nonprofit sector and my conviction that promoting entrepreneurship in Nigeria, and indeed Africa, was critical to the Continent’s sustainable development.

Over the next several years, and after a short-term transfer to the Johannesburg Office of McKinsey, and a stint as a consultant with an International non for profit foundation’s West African office, based in Lagos, I could not imagine life outside the Continent. Each experience proved more challenging and fulfilling than the other, and wetted my appetite for more!

Overwhelmed by the prospects of repaying McKinsey for the salary advance that they had provided for me when I enrolled at HBS, I returned to the Chicago Office. However, restless and unfulfilled, I resigned in May 2000, and returned to Nigeria to serve as the pioneer executive director of a nonprofit organization Foundation in Nigeria committed to fostering business and entrepreneurial development among Nigerian youth. Moving home and starting an organization in Lagos was no easy feat. Despite the numerous challenges that each day presented, I felt an inordinate amount of personal and professional satisfaction from my work! Today, this foundation operates offices in two of Nigeria’s major cities, has served over 400 Nigerian youth through a program of Entrepreneurship and over 5,000 Nigerians through its ancillary services. The organization has received numerous international awards, including the recognition as one of the winners of the 2002 World Bank Development Marketplace Competition.

The wonderful support that I received from Nigerians and friends of Nigeria residing in the United States during my first few months at this organisation revealed the need for a an office in the US. I envisioned that this organization would serve as a credible channel through which resources, information and management support would flow from the U.S. to support entrepreneurial efforts in Nigeria. The US office received its 501(C)3 status in January 2002. Through its Boston office and the amazing support of committed Board members and liaisons, it continues to -send business text books to Nigeria, match students in the U.S. with suitable internships in Nigeria, and to operate an E-based Mentor-Match Program.

In December 2001, I resigned from this foundation (I currently serve as a board member) and relocated to the United States, to join my husband while he completed his MBA at HBS. During this time, I developed a vision for another nonprofit organization committed to inspiring, empowering and equipping a new cadre of African leaders by providing leadership training and executive coaching for entrepreneurs and youth and by conducting leadership research. Since its inception, it has successfully participated in a range of capacity building efforts for entrepreneurs and young leaders in Africa through projects for the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation in Rwanda and the Harvard Business School. In the past few months, the organisation has formally launched its Leadership Institutes in Nigeria, through a generous grant from the another foundation and hopes to impact the lives of entrepreneurs and youth across the country in 2004 and the Continent in future years.

More recently, in collaboration with my mother, I have also launched an organization committed to helping female university students residing in Southeastern Nigeria to achieve their highest potential. Through the support of the Global Fund for Women, the Association of Women’s Rights in Development and the Open Society Institute of West Africa, this organization has begun to have tremendous impact of the lives of young Igbo women through its roving movie series, leadership institutes, one-on-one coaching sessions and career workshops.

Given my roles as a new mother and a social entrepreneur, who happens to reside in Lagos (one of the most erratic cities in the world), there is never a dull moment in my life. During my most trying moments, I sometimes question my rationale for opting for a career in the Nigerian nonprofit sector. However, I must confess that the emotional and spiritual fulfillment that I have received from heeding God’s call for my life has been absolutely priceless, a decision that I would take over and over again. In deed, I am privileged to have a faithful and gracious God, a very caring and supportive husband, doting parents, fantastic siblings, great mentors and loyal friends. They all inspire and challenge me on a daily basis, as I strive to make a small difference on the African Continent.

By Ndidi, Non Profit
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ell77(f): 6:00pm On Nov 25, 2006
Ify's Story

I worked for a small sized project management consultancy firm in the UK as a strategic and financial consultant. I worked there for three years post my second degree and I enjoyed it; well at least up until January 2002. During those three years I acquired an innumerable amount of skills and I knew I was an asset to my colleagues and the organization at large. I had put in time and considerable effort and in January 2002 I decided it was time to receive my dues in the way of an attractive pay rise commensurate to my growth and contributions to the firm. I was 25, with two degrees from highly prestigious universities (University of Bristol and Kings College London), intelligent, sociable, yes I was black but I did not perceive this latter attribute as a barrier.

The reality though was that it was, as long as I remained in the UK I was considered a second-class citizen. My requests and contributions were appreciated but not considered as important as the next first class citizen. It would take me longer to achieve as much as the next person who possessed lesser skills than I did. Ultimately there was a ceiling on my achievements and I could not run away from that. I came to realise bitterly that I could only go so far in the UK. I could have decided of course to play the race card and fight for racial equality and affirmative action. I mean I had seen many Indian individuals do it and succeed but alas it went against my moral upbringing! If I was to be recognized it could not be on the race card for race was not a skill.

This realization led me to look further a field for other job opportunities. My siblings were in the United States and I toyed with that idea briefly but discarded it soon after. America was not for me I decided. Instead I started looking at Nigeria, Africa, my home. I convinced myself that it was only in this continent that the sky would be my true limit. I went for a job fair where a number of multinationals came to the UK yearly specifically to look for interested African employees (both graduates and young professionals) to work in their home countries. After a series of interviews I had two job offers, one from a Brewing company and the second from an Oil and Gas company.

On my application form, I actually specified November 2003 as the period I would be available for employment, however the offers that came through were for immediate start that is in 2002. One thing led to another and I made the move back home in November 2002. I resigned from my small consultancy firm, had my farewell parties, did my Lagos shopping, relocated on a Saturday and started work on a Monday (My second mistake - I jumped right into my new life without giving myself time to adjust and transit).

It was a total and utter culture and professional shock. On starting my new job, I realized I had been foolhardy in trying to negotiate and clarify the terms of my employment from the UK (My first mistake). I did not ask the right questions nor did I make sufficient enquiries. I accepted the offer from the Brewing company, after one trip to Lagos to see the Human Resource Director. They actually employed three of us, three girls, under a programme referred to as Young African Talents. We were employed on a platform of change, change agents bringing a breath of fresh air into the company with our different professional and academic backgrounds with vast opportunities for international exposure and growth. Sounds great hey! Well when we arrived we were astounded when we realized that the programme was actually a graduate programme that did not take into consideration the fact that I was nowhere near graduate status. I was confused and angry, I felt as though I was moving backwards not forward as I had expected. In addition to this there was the dreaded NYSC debate. I left Nigeria at the age of 16, after my stint at Queens College, I obviously had not served so I was in effect a corper to be paid by law a meager corpers allowance.

Not only was I mentally fraught, my new employer had an induction programme the first two weeks which attached you to the customer service department and the guys who actually go out into the field to sell their products. Now the company’s products are beer and the field comprises of market places and beer parlours. On one sunny day I made my third mistake, I ate with one of the sales rep in a dodgy looking canteen out of sheer hunger. The next morning my body was also fraught. I spent the whole morning in the bathroom suffering from the pains of bad food. It was until I familiarized myself with Immoduim, (now a trustworthy friend) that I got better and felt I could face the world.

After a series of battles and long drawn out discussions, a compromise position was offered to me on my two issues but as far I was concerned it was not good enough. I started looking at other companies and I managed to get an offer from a small consultancy firm that reminded me of my old firm. This time round I asked all the right Nigerian questions. I was happy, I resigned.

Now a lot of people within the company did not believe we (that is the three girls employed) would stay. The Young African Talent programme had not been a very successful one in the past and they perceived us as brats. We complained too much, were not willing to blend into the system. What they did not realize was that we were employed on a platform of difference so blending in was not an option. My resignation letter thus went into the details of my actions. It was a one-page attestation of what I believed was wrong with the system. I gave them 2 weeks notice (the contractual period) and circulated it around to the necessary people. The MD/CEO received a copy of my letter and called me to his office for a meeting. At my first meeting with this formidable man, he grilled me about my actions and the letter and I responded. I shared my past (education & professional exposure) with him, my aspirations and the reasons I left the UK. After a 2-hour session, he explained to me how he could not let me resign and how he would personally do everything he could to address my issues. He re-emphasized the notion of change and asked me to work with him to implement change in the company where necessary. He said that if the system could frustrate someone like myself (with my professional and academic background) out after only two months that there had to be something wrong with the system. After 2 weeks of negotiations and considerable to-ing and fro-ing, I decided to stay. I am still with them today.

I still fight battles every day, I am working for a big bureaucratic organization where each man guards each process in order for him to be king of one procedure, with powers to delay and frustrate. I have become more assertive and aggressive. I remind people of my intelligence and I demonstrate it whenever I can. I work hard but am not political about it. I do not stay in the office longer than I have to in order for people to recognize my work. I demonstrate my skills through the work I am given to do, the discussions I have with top management and the contributions I make.

It’s been a year since I made the decision to move back and I do not regret it. Working and living in Nigeria is an existence that is real and injects you with a newness of life every day. As you’re battling with okadas, traffic, LASTMA and the heat you feel alive here in a way you do not feel anywhere else in the world. Everything is possible here both the good and the bad, but it gives you hope because there is so much room for improvement. If you fight hard enough you can attain everything you want. It is a sea of endless opportunities. It’s worthwhile and I’m happy. Our generation are cursed (bear in mind though that by cursed I mean in the Chinese sense, where to lead an interesting life is a curse) we are impatient and in a hurry, we want things to happen now, today. It’s what we are used to; patience however is a necessary attribute to have.

Patience that is not compliance! I tell myself everyday that the second I become compliant is the day I will need to go back to the UK. The day when I accept things as they are not as they should be is when I know that there is no longer hope for us returnees in Nigeria. Till that day I will remain fighting for what I believe in, knowing that I am making a difference in my only little way and that it this is my home!

(by Ify, Marketing, 2003)
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Wazobia(m): 10:13am On Jan 19, 2009
Hello,

Why not check out http://jidesalu.com and follow the experiences of a family who recently relocated to Nigeria after almost 20 years living in the UK. It provides a fascinating insight into life in Nigeria.

For your nostalgia, especially for those in diaspora, www.jidesaluimages.com will just do that in terms of telling stories through pictures.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by lucabrasi(m): 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2009
@poster
this is really insightful and shows an angle to the experiences fo moving back home devoid of the usual traffic,lights and what not,ill have a look at the website and keep u with itxxthanks
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by meetyommy: 11:54am On Feb 03, 2009
All this makes a whole lot of sense and quite insightful, i really support that Nigerians go overseas only to get leverage, i mean study amongst other useful stuffs,
Somehow i think it gives an edge when one returns home,
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by londoner: 1:03pm On Feb 03, 2009
I'm very seriously thinking about it. Trouble is, I dont know where to start. I was born and raised in London and all my immediate family is in the Uk, but I feel I want to be based Nigeria (for a year or so first to test the water).

I was thinking about doing my youth service this year, but its very daunting, it seems to be impossible to get assistance if you are not someone who was born in Nigeria.

Any advice? I would also like to be put in touch with others who are in my position. You know what they say, two heads are better than one.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Busybody2(f): 2:46pm On Feb 03, 2009
@ post

Well-balanced and on point and good for reflection.

londoner:

I'm very seriously thinking about it. Trouble is, I dont know where to start. I was born and raised in London and all my immediate family is in the Uk, but I feel I want to be based Nigeria (for a year or so first to test the water).

I was thinking about doing my youth service this year, but its very daunting, it seems to be impossible to get assistance if you are not someone who was born in Nigeria.

Any advice? I would also like to be put in touch with others who are in my position. You know what they say, two heads are better than one.

In the same boat as you, but kicking myself that I should have gone when youth service for overseas candidate was just for three months. Not that it really matters anyway, one can always arrange to do it in Lagos.

My plan was to go for 6 months, but I chickened out and reduced it to 3 months and recently I have been contemplating on 6 weeks, I need to make up my mind real quick before I change my mind again, lol

IMHO, the only problem you would encounter is the lethargy and apathy that permeates the Nigerian system and way of life. They are so laid-back, it might come as a shock to your system, especially due to the fact that you are coming from a Country where everything is done per hour. 

Would love to know how you get along smiley
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by londoner: 8:15pm On Feb 03, 2009
@ Busy Body, I think now those coming from abroad must do the full year. I checked the site today.

As far as Naija being "laid back" that is either an understatement or metaphore for BONE IDLE, lol

I was there last November, and I have never seen so many people asleep on the job, literally. In fact one of the reasons I want to go is sheer annoyance and frustration with what I saw. To me, it amounted to a senseless waste of potenial of a people and great nation. Could you believe I even went to the Youth Service headquarters in person to find out about doing it, I met a room full of middle aged men and women, chowing down to moin moin and rice. I asked who was in charge and was replied by one with a mouth half full of chicken "we are all in charge".

I think I was unlucky because I was a bit late to have submitted and was returning to London the next day. I asked if they have a website and was told "yes", but "I dont know the address". It became clear that the problem of unprofessionalism has eaten away at every facet of the society, people think that Nigeria's problem is from the government, I discovered it was the overall culture of the people which is holding them all back, from top to bottom.

I returned with even more resolve to get over there and do something positive there, no matter how small.

I really think it would be much more easier if people like us could embark on the youth service in small groups, at the same time. I am definately doing mine in Abuja though, hopefully.
Although, like you I feel time is running and if I dont do it this year chances are slim that I will do it at all. I would love to find a job there though, but its proving difficult too.

Anyone got any advice?
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Busybody2(f): 3:43am On Feb 04, 2009
londoner:

@ Busy Body, I think now those coming from abroad must do the full year. I checked the site today.

As far as Naija being "laid back" that is either an understatement or metaphore for BONE IDLE, lol

I was there last November, and I have never seen so many people asleep on the job, literally. In fact one of the reasons I want to go is sheer annoyance and frustration with what I saw. To me, it amounted to a senseless waste of potenial of a people and great nation. Could you believe I even went to the Youth Service headquarters in person to find out about doing it, I met a room full of middle aged men and women, chowing down to moin moin and rice. I asked who was in charge and was replied by one with a mouth half full of chicken "we are all in charge".

I think I was unlucky because I was a bit late to have submitted and was returning to London the next day. I asked if they have a website and was told "yes", but "I dont know the address". It became clear that the problem of unprofessionalism has eaten away at every facet of the society, people think that Nigeria's problem is from the government, I discovered it was the overall culture of the people which is holding them all back, from top to bottom.

I returned with even more resolve to get over there and do something positive there, no matter how small.

I really think it would be much more easier if people like us could embark on the youth service in small groups, at the same time. I am definately doing mine in Abuja though, hopefully.
Although, like you I feel time is running and if I dont do it this year chances are slim that I will do it at all. I would love to find a job there though, but its proving difficult too.

Anyone got any advice?

ROFLMAO grin grin grin

Have to be patriotic and diplomatic, hence the use of the word laidback grin

The ones I know teach in schools, but I will try and find out more information for you sha, cos I am sure they all can't be teachers na cheesy
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 04, 2009
Im a corper. Came back home in July in time for August batch B. You would have to register in Abuja.
The website is nysclagos.org its not up to date but I think it serves its purpose.
Like most civil servants, the NYSC staff are not the most efficient and sometimes you may have to grease their palms to get what you want done.
I did anyway.
Getting a job should be pretty easy if you use your personal contacts.
You need to be on ground to do this.
I will advice you to look for somewhere yourself before you go to camp otherwise your fate is left to the NYSC.
I know a friend and fellow foreign student who got posted to a local government. Think she sits at home now. If you ask me, its a waste of one year! But wise ones were quick to secure their own postings.
Believe me, you'll get frustrated with a lot of things back home, but with time you'll learn that there is no point getting pissed.
After all there is no perfect country and wherever you are coming from also has it upsides and downsides.
Goodluck
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ell77(f): 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2009
Sorry its been a long time since I posted here - thanks for all the contributions, quite interesting posts and links. I served in Nigeria from March 2008-March 2009. Batch A as a foreign student. I can tell you it was not easy, but it was well worth it. I have more of a leg to stand on whenever I visit Lagos. I lived as a Lagosian. I rode in danfo and Okada and BRT, everywhere i needed to go. I learned to drink pure water half-way and lay it on a table without it falling over, I learned how to haggle prices (from Plantain to Taxi ride). I learned how to argue with agbero without them killing me! I learned how to be independent in a state that is not tourist friendly. i learned how to encourage Nigerian schoolkids to be productive. I learned how corrupt and envious people could be. I learned how beautiful and wonderful they could be. I did not achieve so much in terms of work. But I achieved much in terms of personal mountains. I GREW - by FORCE!
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by spoilt(f): 11:57pm On Oct 26, 2009
ell77:

Sorry its been a long time since I posted here - thanks for all the contributions, quite interesting posts and links. I served in Nigeria from March 2008-March 2009. Batch A as a foreign student. I can tell you it was not easy, but it was well worth it. I have more of a leg to stand on whenever I visit Lagos. I lived as a Lagosian. I rode in danfo and Okada and BRT, everywhere i needed to go. I learned to drink pure water half-way and lay it on a table without it falling over, I learned how to haggle prices (from Plantain to Taxi ride). I learned how to argue with agbero without them killing me! I learned how to be independent in a state that is not tourist friendly. i learned how to encourage Nigerian schoolkids to be productive. I learned how corrupt and envious people could be. I learned how beautiful and wonderful they could be. I did not achieve so much in terms of work. But I achieved much in terms of personal mountains. I GREW - by FORCE!

Correct chic.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by candylips(m): 4:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
nice tales
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Busybody2(f): 11:50pm On Aug 16, 2010
ell77:

Awww, i feel nolstagic cry cry cry cry Eko akete cry
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ladej(m): 1:10am On Aug 19, 2010
no place like home,
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 21, 2010
Get the latest Scholarships for International Universities live from twitter immediately as it happens.
http://scholarships.targetedtweets.com/ for scholarships
http://studentvisas.targetedtweets.com/ for student visas
http://touristvisas.targetedtweets.com/ for tourist visas
http://premiership.targetedtweets.com/ all about premiership games and players
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by mimi234: 12:48pm On Feb 22, 2011
Busy_body:

@ post

Well-balanced and on point and good for reflection.

In the same boat as you, but kicking myself that I should have gone when youth service for overseas candidate was just for three months. Not that it really matters anyway, one can always arrange to do it in Lagos.

My plan was to go for 6 months, but I chickened out and reduced it to 3 months and recently I have been contemplating on 6 weeks, I need to make up my mind real quick before I change my mind again, lol

IMHO, the only problem you would encounter is the lethargy and apathy that permeates the Nigerian system and way of life. They are so laid-back, it might come as a shock to your system, especially due to the fact that you are coming from a Country where everything is done per hour. 

Would love to know how you get along smiley
londoner:

Hey guys couple years down the line and i stumbled across this thread, anwyays i'm also born and bred in London but i am Nigerian, and i really want to experience living in Nigeria, i was wondering how did you guys go about this youth corper thing, i'm graduating this year!! Is their a website or a way of going about applying to be a youth corper ALSO is it just teaching? i really don't like teaching loool Please reply back

Thanks x
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by mimi234: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2011
also in terms of accommodation , do they provide this? or do i need a relative to hook on to, ?? lol PLS REPLY
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ama27(f): 12:42pm On May 31, 2011
NYSC is pretty straight forward for foreign graduates. you need to go the the nysc office in the state ( before it was abuja) The website has all the details about what you will need

You will need the help of someone based in nigeria though and you will need to go down there to submit and all .

i am UK based , moving back to nigeria in august , i am hoping to do the 'C ' batch of NYSC in Oct . If you need to any other info you can drop me a line t.adesemowo@gmail.com

My journey of trying to move back started 2 years ago , its finally becoming reality . ticket bought , date set , im now counting down , sit everyday at my desk day dreaming . i ve got loads of friends who have moved back ( few have had to come back to the Uk though- naija is tough.

anyways good luck
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by lucabrasi(m): 1:27am On Jun 01, 2011
this thread seems like a million years ago now, been to nigeria every year and i finally decided to go on an extended stay last year,left manchester on the 17th of june and came back to the united kingdom 2nd week in november grand total of almost 6 months.
from my limited experience,and i can only comment on the places i have been to in lagos state where i stay,my home town and abuja a couple of times.
like the threadster,i rode on okada i even tried the painted danfo once wanted to try molue but didnt fond any around my area and i tried the various delicacies on offer,
i tried looking for a job,but after a couple of months i was getting offered the wrong jobs and not getting the job offers i wanted,i have since started retraining myself,taking some courses in photography ,lightning,use of photo shop in preparation to set up a photo studio amongst other stuffs.
you dont have to limit yourself to job hunting because lets face it frankly foreign degrees are not as exclusive as they use to be couple of years ago,i got the shock after my extended stay,think of business ideas.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ama27(f): 9:48am On Jun 01, 2011
@lucabrasi i cant agree with you more. my transition to naija has taken me 2 years and i am now finally making the move now. I believe it the right thing for me. the 2yrs has enabled me set the right expectations for my self, understand limitations, do away with ideals and embrace reality.

i want to do my NYSC because i want to tick that box and have the certificate. i have also started my own business and have some other things in the pipeline.
Loads of opportunities in naija, but its tough to break through.
goodluck !!!!

1 Like

Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 10:57am On Jun 01, 2011
ell77:

I had an interesting time in the UK. There were of course many things that one couldn¡¦t do and get at home which I enjoyed. But more than anything, it confirmed to me that people make a system, and that their attitudes and values have more to do with its success than anything else. Why do I say so? For one thing, whilst there was the normal quota of guys doing their best to reinforce the anecdotal stereotypes of Nigerians, there were many more who just decided. They just decided to do it; to put their heads down and work and play and travel and party as hard as anyone else in the world. Academically, most of those who didn¡¦t get caught up with the distractions of the city lights were at the top of their class. So the confidence my parents had gently instilled in me, that we were no different, no better, no worse than any people anywhere in the world, was reinforced. There is no lacking gene, just a different mindset that separates us.

This is just what it is, right there.
I always say nobody really stops you from living life the way you choose to. To a large extent, it is culture, traditional, and attitude that makes us different.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Busybody2(f): 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2011
ama27:

My journey of trying to move back started 2 years ago , its finally becoming reality . ticket bought , date set , im now counting down , sit everyday at my desk day dreaming . i ve got loads of friends who have moved back ( few have had to come back to the Uk though- naija is tough.

anyways good luck

Wow, na another person dey travel, na my own heart wan jump out through my mouth outta fear and trepidation embarassed Wishing you journey mercies oh my dear kiss kiss kiss

lucabrasi:

this thread seems like a million years ago now, been to nigeria every year and i finally decided to go on an extended stay last year,left manchester on the 17th of june and came back to the united kingdom 2nd week in november grand total of almost 6 months.
from my limited experience,and i can only comment on the places i have been to in lagos state where i stay,my home town and abuja a couple of times.
like the threadster,i rode on okada i even tried the painted danfo once wanted to try molue but didnt fond any around my area and i tried the various delicacies on offer,
i tried looking for a job,but after a couple of months i was getting offered the wrong jobs and not getting the job offers i wanted,i have since started retraining myself,taking some courses in photography ,lightning,use of photo shop in preparation to set up a photo studio amongst other stuffs.
you dont have to limit yourself to job hunting because lets face it frankly foreign degrees are not as exclusive as they use to be couple of years ago,i got the shock after my extended stay,think of business ideas.

Lol, tried the okada, felt soooo bad for all the deep nail cut i left on the dude just because I was clinging on for dear life i gave the driver a N1000 instead of the N100 fare embarassed Tried the buses, my skirt got torn angry Even kabukabu sef get as e be, the peeps I went to go and pay a surprise visit to, were not yet at home, was left stranded in Lord knows where, thank God for the kind maiguard who sent someone miles away to help me get another cab embarassed

Honestly, my blind loyalty to that Country is waning soooo fast, read some story about the length the Police would go to extort money from people, for example, accosting a guy who's just dropping off his babe and accusing them of banging in the car and then proceeding to strip the girl naked just to force the boyfriend to bribe them to free her girl undecided or maybe I should stop visiting the Politics section sha undecided

Kudos to you for not restricting yourself to just searching for jobs but rather creating one for yourself, thats the spirit babyboy kiss
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by ama27(f): 11:32pm On Jun 05, 2011
Busy_body:

Wow, na another person dey travel, na my own heart wan jump out through my mouth outta fear and trepidation embarassed Wishing you journey mercies oh my dear kiss kiss kiss .

Thanks o me sef i dey fear no be small.Am hoping my planning for the last 2yrs will help. i have also gone to naija every 3 months during those 2 yrs. so i have a clear pic and not romantising about moving to naija but with all that sef, i dey still fear , God is in control.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by Busybody2(f): 11:43pm On Jun 05, 2011
ama27:

Thanks o me sef i dey fear no be small.Am hoping my planning for the last 2yrs will help. i have also gone to naija every 3 months during those 2 yrs. so i have a clear pic and not romantising about moving to naija but with all that sef, i dey still fear , God is in control.

Hey, sorry for scaring you, it is well, God is your guide and your shield, He is indeed in control. May you fulfil all your heart's desires and may you always find favour and may you always have stories of glad tidings to tell that people would be wondering if you are in the same Nigeria, it is well wink
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by lucabrasi(m): 8:10pm On Jun 06, 2011
Busy_body:

Lol, tried the okada, felt soooo bad for all the deep nail cut i left on the dude just because I was clinging on for dear life i gave the driver a N1000 instead of the N100 fare embarassed Tried the buses, my skirt got torn angry Even kabukabu sef get as e be, the peeps I went to go and pay a surprise visit to, were not yet at home, was left stranded in Lord knows where, thank God for the kind maiguard who sent someone miles away to help me get another cab embarassed
lol but really if you put your mind to it and dont allow yourself to make comparisons with all the uk and usa you have been you will be fine,now that you can send cars of up to 15 years old to nigeria there are a lot of very very cheap cars that you can just send to use untill you get the proper nice car you are after.one thing i realised with naija is that ,there is nothing like impossibility or cant cope if you suck it up and stick with it,you had those experience because you are on holidays and you r not used to the way things are
Busy_body:

Honestly, my blind loyalty to that Country is waning soooo fast, read some story about the length the Police would go to extort money from people, for example, accosting a guy who's just dropping off his babe and accusing them of banging in the car and then proceeding to strip the girl unclothed just to force the boyfriend to bribe them to free her girl undecided or maybe I should stop visiting the Politics section sha undecided
dont mind those prophet of doom in the politic section,if you do a proper analysis you will realise that most of the people spreading the doom and gloom have not been to nigeria in eons of years and only pick and choose stories they find littering the internet.while i am not saying that these incidents do not happen or justifying them they are isolated incidents.if the police killed people everyday like its been reported how many people will be left alive in lagos?
look at the time a woman used her car to hit a police woman,nobody publicised that
countless times people have slapped policemen,in fact my late mum was a culprit of that one lol nobody talks about that one
police have accosted me with pounds in my pocket,they tried acting funny but as soon as they searched me they had no reason to hold me they let me go
last year a policeman stopped me on my way to sort out my ticket under the bridge opposite ayinke house at ikeja general hospital,he was huffing and puffing i didnt answer him,he called me yahoo yahoo when he saw my passport and some other papers i had with me i didnt answer when his oga came i defended every single paper and the money with my ticket the man just told me to go but for me to be careful with my documents and begged me for money but i ignored the guy.
the police most times cant do anything and cant extort money from you unless they have been able to find something untoward
Busy_body:

Kudos to you for not restricting yourself to just searching for jobs but rather creating one for yourself, thats the spirit babyboy kiss
abi o,im telling you there s a whole lot of busineses one can do out there,i also have that implicit believe that we diasporeans are th ones that will stimulate the economy and kick start the middle class revolution in nigeria because presently its only working class and high class
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 9:07pm On Jun 06, 2011
'Moving back to Nigeria' is beginning to sound cliche, and looks more like some sort of fad these days.
I'd like to hear what the reasons are for moving back to Nigeria, really. Can any of you guys say specifically?
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by candylips(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2011
^^ there are a lot of jobless dudes abroad since d beginning of recession
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 9:31pm On Jun 06, 2011
candylips:

^^ there are a lot of jobless dudes abroad since d beginning of recession

I'm sure.
Still not a good enough reason to move back to Nigeria really. Not that I am knocking it. I just don't get it.
Beyond finding a job, there has to be a concrete reason for moving back to Naija. Most people sound like they're fishing.

Indians don't just up and move back to India.
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by DisGuy: 11:53pm On Jun 06, 2011
Perhaps the same reason move to any other country? Opportunities work and business

Familiarity: culture, family

Nigerians also move to other countries apart from Nigeria, Canada, Dubai, SA

Indians/Pakistani also do it, to Asian countries most especially, sounds ore prevalent here cos its a Nigerian forum I suppose

there are also the F.I.L.T.Hs = Failed in London Try HongKong

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/business/worldbusiness/05iht-05expats.20605959.html

It's all about opportunities and as an emerging economic power invest will continue to flow in, competition for jobs wont be as fierce
Re: Move Back To Nigeria Club by AjanleKoko: 12:08am On Jun 07, 2011
Dis Guy:

Perhaps the same reason move to any other country? Opportunities work and business

Familiarity: culture, family

Nigerians also move to other countries apart from Nigeria, Canada, Dubai, SA

Indians/Pakistani also do it, to Asian countries most especially, sounds ore prevalent here cos its a Nigerian forum I suppose

there are also the F.I.L.T.Hs = Failed in London Try HongKong

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/business/worldbusiness/05iht-05expats.20605959.html

It's all about opportunities and as an emerging economic power invest will continue to flow in, competition for jobs wont be as fierce

Yes but even the article says

For those trying to cling to their increasingly insecure perches, career counselors are generally telling bankers to use their contacts to look for jobs locally instead of sending résumés halfway around the world.

"Stay put," said Paul Heng, managing director of Next Career Consulting Group Asia in Singapore. "I don't think there is a refuge anywhere in this world."

Least of all Nigeria.
Unless you are out of status and have absolutely no choice, or you have an actual opportunity to explore, I see no reason for opting to move back to Nigeria. Unlike Hong Kong and Singapore, Nigeria is a different proposition entirely.

(1) (2) (Reply)

South Africa Or Stay Back In Nigeria, Which Is Better / Security: LASG Begins Clampdown On Illegal Commercial Motorcycle Operators / Lagos Port Gridlock: Business Owners Narrate Impact On Investments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.