Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day (488 Views)

Best Maid Of Honour Wedding Dance In Zimbabwe (video) / 2 Maids Of Honour....new Wedding Trend? / A Woman Of Honour Ms, Kemi Adewumi, Welcomes Notable Guest At , Ethan & Harriet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day by sauta(m): 2:08am On Jun 11, 2016
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, was on Friday hosted by the indigenes of Ile-Ife, Osun State, resident in the United States.
The monarch, with his entourage, was received at the J.F. Kennedy Airport, New York, by leaders of Ife indigenes and other Nigerians in the US on Thursday.

They said the action was to honour the monarch.A New York City Senator, Kevin Parker, and the Brooklyn Borough President, Eric Adams, said the city had secured a proclamation to declare Monday, June 13, 2016 as Yoruba Day.
According to a statement, the Ooni has also been billed to visit President Barack Obama at the White House, where he will receive an award.
The statement added that a number of programmes had been scheduled to honour the traditional ruler while in the country.
As part of activities in his visit to the US, the Ooni will on Sunday, June 12, 2016, be the Special Guest of Honour at the prestigious Odunde festival.
The festival, which promotes the culture of the Yoruba race, was created in 1975 by Lois Fernandez and Ruth Arthur, and attracts about 500,000 people annually.
The event will provide an opportunity for the monarch to interact with the over 3,000 Ife indigenes in the US on how to develop Ile-Ife.
The statement said, “On the same day, the Museum of the Contemporary African Diaspora Arts will receive the monarch in a private reception as well as a public forum session.
“Expected at the event will be Brooklyn Borough President and a New York City Public Advocate, Leticia James. The monarch will then move to the Mid-West and other parts of the country to attend economic and leadership summits before being received by President Barack Obama through The White House Office of Faith-based and Neighbourhood Partnerships.”
The Chairman of the Grand Reception Planning Committee and one of the leaders of Ife Ooye North America group, Chief Olubunmi Awopileda, said, “All Ife natives in the US are excited and energised for this epochal occasion. It will be an occasion to showcase our very rich culture with our king as the symbol.”

Source:http://sauta97..com.ng/2016/06/obama-to-honour-ooni-as-nyc-declares.html
Re: Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day by olatorich(m): 2:19am On Jun 11, 2016
Yorubas..... Making Nigeria proud since 1914
Re: Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day by otipoju(m): 2:24am On Jun 11, 2016
I dey come back.
Re: Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day by Kruzilano(m): 2:43am On Jun 11, 2016
One tin i like about yoruba people.. They are in for the name, not minding d pay... Clear diff btwn we the "proudly 5%" and d southwesterners.. Ibos!! I trust my people, if its nt putting 3 square meal on my table, nna si é ba foor... I love my 5%

1 Like

Re: Obama To Honour Ooni As Nyc Declares Yoruba Day by odave: 6:18am On Jun 11, 2016
This is a special Ooni, you don't sit in your palace and expect the whole world to come to you aid. You are doing it right sir! I heard he launched 100 Acre of cashew plantation recently. Arole Oodua, omo on'ife abure, may you live long!

(1) (Reply)

We Design, Print For Ur Events And Deliver To Ur Door Step / Women Who Made History…today / The Birth Of A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.