Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question (1049 Views)

The Purpose Of Ministry Is Redemption Not Fame! / Reincarnation Proof: How To Remember Your Past Life The Easiest Way / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by HardMirror(m): 12:26pm On Jun 11, 2016
According to instinct of all living things, the struggle and mission of all living things is

1. TO STAY ALIVE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE

2. TO REPRODUCE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

Even the Genesis account of creation makes reproduction God's primary assignment to all living things, saying "Be fruitful and multiply"

So the question is why are all living things struggling to stay alive? Why are we all trying to spread our genes and dominate?

What is the purpose to life?

If we could live for one million years, what do we achieve?
Death seems more reasonable than life, yet we all want to stay alive.

Does life have any purpose?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by HardMirror(m): 12:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
Talk2bryant, allanphash7, newpundit, AdamuUcheOla, lepasharon, Uyi168, Sheenor, dragonEmperor, BuchiPrinzy, CltrAltDelicious, sample042, alves4, dwilliams, BlackHummer, mjconcept, foxe, Badboiz, gracehart32, Intrepid01, Immorttal, santori, Stanleyafam, elkonS, voizofone, KGBEAST, Ayomikun37
donnffd cloudgoddess
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Auki: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2016
God created everything for a reasons. Removing just mosquito from the equation will alter the balance of our planet. However, eliminating mankind will not effect the balance of the earth. Man is created for a higher purpose of worshiping God only.

1. Did you then think that We created you in vain, and that you would not be returned to us?

The Holy Quran 23:115

2. And I created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).

The Holy Quran 51:56

The purpose of our life is the worship our Creator in the many ways there are to worship Him (prayer, helping others, seeking knowledge, etc.).

3. …Who has created life and death so that He may try you which of you are best in deeds

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 11, 2016
This question has been long overflogged and debated upon but let me write from my perspective.

13 billion years ago, the universe took shape after the big bang now in the process of the universe taking shape, Fragment of the big bang was what brought about dark matter, the planets, Sun etc as we all know today as the solar system.

4.5 billion years back in one planet called earth, Actually the greeks named her Earth as she was unknown prior to then.

After the Big Bang, tiny particles bound together to form hydrogen and helium. As time went on, young stars formed when clouds of gas and dust gathered under the effect of gravity, heating up as they became denser. At the stars’ cores, bathed in temperatures of over 10 million degrees C, hydrogen and then helium nuclei fused to form heavier elements. A reaction known as nucleosynthesis.
This reaction continues in stars today as lighter elements are converted into heavier ones. Relatively young stars like our Sun convert hydrogen to produce helium, just like the first stars of our universe. Once they run out of hydrogen, they begin to transform helium into beryllium and carbon. As these heavier nuclei are produced, they too are burnt inside stars to synthesise heavier and heavier elements. Different sized stars play host to different fusion reactions, eventually forming everything from oxygen to iron.
During a supernova, when a massive star explodes at the end of its life, the resulting high energy environment enables the creation of some of the heaviest elements including iron and nickel. The explosion also disperses the different elements across the universe, scattering the stardust which now makes up planets including Earth.

So back to the question, Do life have a purpose?

No, because if man had a purpose by an intelligent designer called god, then there would be nothing like free will which man has today, again god could never have envisage the stages of creation to bring about life if the universe was what he was trying to create so, in order words, During creation is either god made a mistake while creating the universe or Man is making a mistake creating illusion of God.

You are meant to live, eat, survive , breed and die courtesy of the stardust from the star after the big bang.

Life is meant to be understood backward in order to live forward. The purpose of life is purposeless.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by HardMirror(m): 4:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
Auki:
God created everything for a reasons. Removing just mosquito from the equation will alter the balance of our planet. However, eliminating mankind will not effect the balance of the earth. Man is created for a higher purpose of worshiping God only.

1. Did you then think that We created you in vain, and that you would not be returned to us?

The Holy Quran 23:115

2. And I created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).

The Holy Quran 51:56

The purpose of our life is the worship our Creator in the many ways there are to worship Him (prayer, helping others, seeking knowledge, etc.).

3. …Who has created life and death so that He may try you which of you are best in deeds
Millions of plants and animals are extinct many without any effect on the ecology. What effect has the extinction of Dodos have on the ecology. We all want to believe god created everything and everything is useful. There are many animals we won't feel their impact when extinct. Most times we are only trying to save them for the sake of posterity.

Well as for god creating us for a purpose to worship him. Why? If god needed worshipers it would make sense to have created beings called worshipers who would effectively carryout their job of worshiping.

Then I ask again what is the purpose of life not what is the purpose of man.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by HardMirror(m): 4:45pm On Jun 11, 2016
aaronson:
This question has been long overflogged and debated upon but let me write from my perspective.

13 billion years ago, the universe took shape after the big bang now in the process of the universe taking shape, Fragment of the big bang was what brought about dark matter, the planets, Sun etc as we all know today as the solar system.

4.5 billion years back in one planet called earth, Actually the greeks named her Earth as she was unknown prior to then.

After the Big Bang, tiny particles bound together to form hydrogen and helium. As time went on, young stars formed when clouds of gas and dust gathered under the effect of gravity, heating up as they became denser. At the stars’ cores, bathed in temperatures of over 10 million degrees C, hydrogen and then helium nuclei fused to form heavier elements. A reaction known as nucleosynthesis.
This reaction continues in stars today as lighter elements are converted into heavier ones. Relatively young stars like our Sun convert hydrogen to produce helium, just like the first stars of our universe. Once they run out of hydrogen, they begin to transform helium into beryllium and carbon. As these heavier nuclei are produced, they too are burnt inside stars to synthesise heavier and heavier elements. Different sized stars play host to different fusion reactions, eventually forming everything from oxygen to iron.
During a supernova, when a massive star explodes at the end of its life, the resulting high energy environment enables the creation of some of the heaviest elements including iron and nickel. The explosion also disperses the different elements across the universe, scattering the stardust which now makes up planets including Earth.

So back to the question, Do life have a purpose?

No, because if man had a purpose by an intelligent designer called god, then there would be nothing like free will which man has today, again god could never have envisage the stages of creation to bring about life if the universe was what he was trying to create so, in order words, During creation is either god made a mistake while creating the universe or Man is making a mistake creating illusion of God.

You are meant to live, eat, survive , breed and die courtesy of the stardust from the star after the big bang.

Life is meant to be understood backward in order to live forward. The purpose of life is purposeless.

Well it is possible life has no purpose, by the way I am not interested in the purpose of man. I am more interested in if life has any high purpose. Even the life of an amoeba
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 11, 2016
HardMirror:

Well it is possible life has no purpose, by the way I am not interested in the purpose of man. I am more interested in if life has any high purpose. Even the life of an amoeba
Still No, Even that ameoba is trying to survival and feed in process it turns harmful to the host.

Over time, Man has improvised and evolve so much to call themselves high class specie because we have the ability to communicate with language and think out instinct. Man DNA and that of Apes are almost 98% similar.

Apes don't live looking for purpose for their existence rather Man are the only once who does so prior to our intelligence. But in essence no such thing as purpose or high life amongst any life on earth.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Olenzzy(m): 5:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
D question of whether life has a purpose is as old as man dat is if it doesn't predate humanity. To answer ur poser, I shall speak frm two planes- d Spiritual and d Practical. Frm d former point of view, Biblical record( which is inspired by Divinity) accounts dat d Creator is d Source of all living entities(Angels, man, animals, plants) both seen and unseen. According to available records, d Creator made these things for His own pleasure and praise. In other words, none of d these stuff will make sense except they fulfil d two mandates of giving pleasure and bringing praise or glory to d Almighty. Life's purpose is essentially wrapped in this mystery. Frm d practical perspective, Life is seen as an embodiment of solutions to existing & anticipated problems. It is about finding answers to questions; bring ing development to where none exist; creating solutions before problems occur. So its all about perspective. What is important therefore is d ability of everyone to meet both requirements. U MUST BRING PLEASURE AND PRAISE TO D ALMIGHTY WHILE ALSO BRINGING SOLUTIONS TO D PROBLEMS OF OTHERS. UNTIL A MAN DOES THESE THINGS, HIS SOUL WILL NEVER BE AT PEACE! Put simply, d essence of Life is to serve God and humanity with ur talents and resources where u r and within d time alloted to u.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by johnydon22(m): 7:06pm On Jun 11, 2016
HardMirror:

I'll be arriving at this on my thread 'Songs of the world' sooner or later..
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by God2man(m): 7:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
Ecclesiastic 12 , Read the last two verses.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 11, 2016
We can only assume.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by davien(m): 8:52pm On Jun 11, 2016
Hardmirror, it's just as you said.. Reproduction and self-protection or maintenance for as long as is possible.. Every living thing strives for those two things,so if one were to ask what the purpose of living things were it would be those two..
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 11, 2016
HardMirror:
According to instinct of all living things, the struggle and mission of all living things is

Even the Genesis account of creation makes reproduction God's primary assignment to all living things, saying "Be fruitful and multiply"

So the question is why are all living things struggling to stay alive? Why are we all trying to spread our genes and dominate?

"What is the purpose of life?",

A vey nice question indeed. I think that question should be a basic proof to explain the fact that there is an "Intelligent being" who created and owns the universe. He made all things for a purpose. You cant tell me that the ability of our planet earth to support life just happend by chance, theres an intelligence that is responsible for that.

Now, to answer your question, The purpose of life are To become a living being and to dominate what that "Intelligence" has created (the universe): One of The purpose of life is to come and utilize all these materials that has just been created. The individual comes, plays his part and leave; another one comes and do the same. and the process continues like that. This act of domination is being led by humans which has been specially endowed with intelligence to carry out this task. The purpose of man dominating the universe is limitless; a time is coming that we'll be colonising the other planets, moons, and other astronomical bodies of which you knw humans are already making serious preparation for that now.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Domislaz(m): 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
Stay true to yourself and the question will vanish. Animals do not deny their nature like most humans do that's why these sort of questions keeps coming. Humans are trying hard to be 'something else.'

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by donnffd(m): 8:47am On Jun 14, 2016
My simple take on this is that the question is invalid...

Imagine a lightning striking a tree at random and it starts a fire, the fire spreads around the forest burning everything in its wake...

Does that fire have a purpose?, i dont think you can even begin to ask that kind of question...

So life doesnt have a purpose anymore than pluto has a purpose, but we humans have evolved sentience and knowledge and consciousness(or the illusion of it), and by that, we can now define a purpose to our lives and the life of every other species on this planet and possible the galaxy...
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Image123(m): 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
HardMirror:

Life has no purpose without God, duh. That is why it is foolish for anyone to think there is no God, that's like basic sense. When you disbelief God, you look for purpose eternally. The purpose of life is to please God. Or as someone said,
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

BTW, not all living things are trying to dominate, that is a most ignorant statement having no backing whatsover. Who and what is a cow trying to dominate, or a sheep or a butterfly?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by urahara(m): 8:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Life has no purpose. U give ur self purpose.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Image123(m): 9:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
urahara:
Life has no purpose. U give ur self purpose.

Go and die already na. Is there any purpose for your life? You know the answer. Why complain about genocide or murder sef.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by urahara(m): 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
Image123:

Go and die already na. Is there any purpose for your life? You know the answer. Why complain about genocide or murder sef.

0977yggftty67t44567889tfggf45r2226
Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by bioye(m): 5:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
I like Olenzy's comment even though it's religious. But I totally disagree with donnffd's response even though he's not.

Does the totality of life on earth or anywhere else have a purpose? Maybe not. What about human beings?

It's a matter of perspective. I believe that my purpose in life is to be as happy as I can be whatever it takes to achieve maximum fulfillment. So that if I'm lucky enough to reminisce on my dying bed about my life, I would be content without regret. Also, I believe that by changing the world substantially before we go, we never truly die. And there are many ways to achieve that. You could raise children you'd be proud of. You could fight a cause to its logical conclusion. You could use your talent to create inventions that touch lives.

Pain, sadness, regret and the like are not enjoyable for most of us so why not choose something better?

Death? We should learn to love death. And we should be willing to die for the right reason. Life is not worth living when you have the fear of death.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Life? The Most Important Question by Splinz(m): 6:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
Life is meant to be understood backward in order to live forward. The purpose of life is purposeless
I can't help but feel sorry for this statement, such an unfortunate one. SMH

(1) (Reply)

Confused / Who Created Hell. . .the Abode Of Lucifer / Throwback Photo Of Pastor E.A Adeboye Ministering At Holy Ghost Convention 1987

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.