Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days (17416 Views)

Forex Reserves Gain $455m In One Week Amid Intervention / CBN Injects $186m As Forex Reserves Beat $30bn / Naira Gains Momentum, Closes At 390/dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by realjoker(m): 12:04pm On Jun 13, 2016
By Obinna Chima

Nigeria’s foreign exchange (forex) reserves have maintained positive momentum this month rising slightly for five consecutive days.

Data gathered from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) website at the weekend showed that the reserves derived mainly from the proceeds of crude oil sale, climbed from $26.373 billion as at June 2, 2016, to $26.401 billion as at June 8, 2016.

The slight uptick was primarily due to a rise in crude oil prices, which climbed to $51 per barrel last week. Oil prices fell about three per cent on Friday after data showed the United States oil drilling rig count rise for a second week in row and a stronger dollar weighed on demand for greenback-denominated crude futures.
Nevertheless, Nigeria still faces macro-economic challenges, which have seen outflow of both foreign portfolio investors as well as foreign direct investments. Disruptive activities of the militant group, Niger Delta Avengers, in the oil-producing Niger Delta have sent Nigeria’s oil production to a multi-year low of 1.7 million barrels per day (mbpd). Alhough oil prices are trading above $50/barrel on the back of this, price gains will not be enough to compensate for lost output by the country.

It appears that the worst is far from over as the militant group has continued to threatened more attacks in weeks to come. Furthermore, expectations of a truce appeared to have been dashed after the Avengers stated that, contrary to news reports, it is not – and will not be – engaging in any dialogue with the government.

“By implication, funding the recently-passed N6.1 trillion budget may become something of a tall order if militant attacks persist, as Nigeria’s crude production target of 2.2mb/d is already appearing unrealistic,” analysts at CSL Stockbrokers Limited stated in a report.

Analysts at FBN Quest noted the peak in crude oil price from its recent floor in January, saying the budget assumption of $38 per barrel has started to look conservative. They predicted an end-2016 spot price for Bonny Light of $55 per barrel.

“The success of the President Muhammadu Buhari agenda rests upon whether its expansionary fiscal stance will deliver the capital spending and the jobs to make its contribution to a revival in the economy. This, in turn, requires that it comes close to hitting its ambitious targets for non-oil revenue generation.
“These are heady projections and the impact of the 2016 budget will not be felt much before the end of the year. Beyond the fiscal, the FGN would do well to clarify its policies and trumpet its successes, given the limits on the patience of voters and markets,” FBN Quest added.

They also predicted that there would be unexciting growth this year and next. Analysts at the firm also projected that a combination of government spending, sector-specific reforms and a modest rise in oil revenues should deliver unexciting growth of 3.5 per cent in 2017.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/06/13/forex-reserves-gain-positive-momentum-rise-for-five-straight-days/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by keally: 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2016
Any independent confirmation? Believe APC at your own risk and peril

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by baby124: 12:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
NDA are working to raise the oil price and increase our reserves when the pipelines are back up and working. Thumbs up!

1 Like

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by 989900: 12:36pm On Jun 13, 2016
keally:

It is free info on Cenbank's site.

The meager rise means little in the present scheme of things anyway.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by realjoker(m): 12:56pm On Jun 13, 2016
keally:

so a news from thisday newspaper owned by a pdp goon is now a mouthpiece of apc? I am losing hope in all this irredeemable election sore losses.

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by salabscholar01(m): 1:43pm On Jun 13, 2016
if only we can stop been our own worst enemies, Nigeria will move forward.

6 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Cherishing(f): 1:44pm On Jun 13, 2016
And Naira keep on going down like sag breas.t

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2016
Jonathan must have started refunding directly into the treasury cheesy

You know that PMB had travelled to London and Jonathan was also there. grin

All these had happened in the last five days of PMB absence cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by eleojo23: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2016
Keneking:
You are always high on Jonathan.
That name always intoxicate you, why?

28 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Tonnierichy(m): 1:46pm On Jun 13, 2016
Its all looking good.....

More positives this week please
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Olateef(m): 1:46pm On Jun 13, 2016

1 Like

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by ddippset(m): 1:46pm On Jun 13, 2016
No no no please don't spoil my day! Iam a wailer and I hate such news.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by hahn(m): 1:46pm On Jun 13, 2016
Things are still expensive undecided

ddippset:

Olateef:

Tonnierichy:
G

eleojo23:

I hope whatever you guys intend to type will affect the price of tomato in the market undecided

14 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by spiffyzaki: 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
I am not a mediocre to start rejoicing or praising an ineffectual government over a 0.1%rise. cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by martineverest(m): 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
Economy is picking up.. Remaining dollars
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2016
keally:

This news is inconsequential, how much is a dollar to naira. cool

Nigerians and mediocrity.

3 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by worlexy(m): 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2016
I take any information coming from this government like a pinch of salt, I just need to wait for only 2 weeks to see if there won't be a counter information denying the initial one. So, my legs are crossed for now!

4 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Adesiji77: 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2016
smiley
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by lafuria1(m): 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2016
Not significant enough.
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by jaybee3(m): 1:52pm On Jun 13, 2016
The rise is less than 1% so nothing to write home about

1 Like

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by NwaNimo1(m): 1:52pm On Jun 13, 2016
$26.373 billion as at June 2, 2016, to $26.401 billion as at June 8, 2016

As far as I'm concerned this does not represent movement!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2016
baby124:
NDA are working to raise the oil price and increase our reserves when the pipelines are back up and working. Thumbs up!
Lame talk, clap 4 urself...kudos!!!
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by philips70(m): 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2016
realjoker:
so a news from thisday newspaper owned by a pdp goon is now a mouthpiece of apc? I am losing hope in all this irredeemable election sore losses.

You must really bear with them because they will never stop.

2 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by eleojo23: 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2016
hahn:

I hope whatever you guys intend to type will affect the price of tomato in the market undecided

This your own comment has affected the price of tomato negatively. My supplier just told me that the price just went up by 0.1%
angry

1 Like

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by innocent04: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2016
Ok
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Tokt: 2:02pm On Jun 13, 2016
With Buhari, i can sleep with my two eyes closed knowing fully well that my money is safe but with Jonah-daft, I dare not.
Yet fools will say they are yet to see change.

4 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by figment232(m): 2:05pm On Jun 13, 2016
Keneking:

You know that PMB had travelled to London and Jonathan was also there. grin

All these had happened in the last five days of PMB absence cheesy
ZOMBIE NA ZOMBIE

1 Like

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by snochk: 2:10pm On Jun 13, 2016
NwaNimo1:
$26.373 billion as at June 2, 2016, to $26.401 billion as at June 8, 2016

As far as I'm concerned this does not represent movement!
Will you say it's shaking or dancing rather creeping. Anywhere we need to start asking more questions?. My own question how much tax have you ever paid to Nigeria?. Answer

4 Likes

Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by Integrityfarms(m): 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2016
Talking rubbish
Re: Forex Reserves Gain Positive Momentum, Rise For Five Straight Days by ZUBY77(m): 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
What is the need when we cant access it.
It is only rising for Buhari and his cronies, so you can go and post this article to their websites.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Aliko Dangote's 'heaven On Earth' Mansion That Can Make One Confuse / KAM Steel Acquires Standard Methallugical Company, Targets 10,000 Jobs / How Do I Write A Program Proposal For A Radio Station? Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.