Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,405 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) (35382 Views)

A Love From Above (An Educative Relationship Story) - Full Episode / $ex Story: A 'one Night Stand' Experience I Can Never Forget (must Read) / HERO (A Violence, Mind Control And Sex Story) a story by Queenliz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by joanee20(f): 12:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
Enjoying this great story..kudos

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by CuteChiluv: 1:07pm On Jun 16, 2016
I guess this should be a starting point for them, just trying to picture their faces , hot seat activated, well done

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 6:00pm On Jun 16, 2016
Episode 11

For some seconds, I stared at Tolani. She was a beauty to behold. She had this innocent face of a teenager but she seemed matured at heart. To be honest, I felt a little restrained considering the highly esteemed manner with which Tayo referred to her in his writings. I was expecting him to start a conversation, he was expecting me to do the same, while Tolani sat there watching both of us.

‘Tayo, will you say something?’ I said telepathically.

‘I thought you came here to assist.’ He appeared to be implying.

‘Of course, I came to assist, not to take over your responsibility.’

‘Can’t you just do this for me? I don’t know what to say.’

‘For the love of God, just say something!’

Our telepathic conversation continued for about half a minute. When I saw that Tayo was not going to say anything, I had to do something. I got up, and poured Tolani a glass of water from one of the bottles Mrs Okafor had earlier brought.

“Water,” I said, stretching the tumbler to her. “I’m Femi, and it’s a pleasure to you.”

“Tolani,” she said, collecting the water. “Thank you.”

“Tayo, has some things he’d like to say, but I can leave the room if it will make you two more comfortable.”

“No!” They said together.

“You don’t have to leave. I’m assuming there is nothing you don’t already know about the whole thing.” Tolani added.

“I’ll just sit and listen then.” I took a sit on another chair while they sat facing each other.

“Tolani,” Tayo finally gained the confidence to start, “I came to apologize for everything that happened. It’s all my fault; I shouldn’t have gone that far, I should have done something about it when I observed that things were getting intense between us, I shouldn’t have …”

“Tayo,” She interrupted, “You don’t have to blame yourself. We were both careless and unwatchful. Initially, I blamed you for everything. I hated myself for becoming friends with you, for moving with you, and for sleeping with you. But, I’ve been made to realize that I needed to stop passing the buck to someone else if I was ever going to heal. I don’t entirely blame myself either. WE made the mistake.”

“I still feel the need to apologize,” Tayo cut in.

“Apology accepted.”

The sincerity with which she said that was impressive that I had to ask, “So, you are good? I mean, you don’t have anything against him?”

“Not anymore. Forgiving him has helped me forgive myself too. And, yes we’re good. I’ve healed, and I’m still healing. So, we are good.”

“That’s kind of you, Tolani.” As I was now a part of the conversation I asked further, “How did you meet Mrs Okafor? Tell us about her.”

“Mrs Okafor is an angel.” She paused. “I guess she was sent to earth for me. I went to her when I had nowhere else to go. I was scared to go through with the abortion alone, and when Tayo didn’t support the cause, I had to find an alternative. It wasn’t that I did not have money to do it myself, I just wanted him to be involved. Today, I’m happy he didn’t send the money.” I caught Tayo smiling at himself in a satisfactory manner.

“Then,” Tolani continued, “A lot of other things began to rush through my mind. The shame I was going to face was the most tormenting. I was afraid of what my parents would do too. I couldn’t deal with the whole situation alone; had I done that, maybe you’d have heard the story of a lady who jumped off a bridge months ago. The Bible is always right; it was right when it said, ‘Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety (Proverbs 11:14).” She paused to drink some water before continuing.

“Mrs Okafor is the wife of the youth pastor in our church. Since I got to her, she has corrected me, made me realize my mistakes and prayed with me. But she has never judged me. Not even once. She was of great help in breaking the news to my parents. If she hadn’t been there that day, I can’t imagine what would have happened. Though my parents were disappointed in me, but with great wisdom, she was able to calm them down. Mrs Okafor promised them that she would see to my welfare and ensure that it didn’t interfere with my academics

“Within a week, they forgave me and have been supportive too. There was a problem though: I couldn’t forgive myself. Each time I talked about you, I felt the hurt all over again. Your incessant calls were not helping either. I cried for days, lost appetite, and couldn’t sleep. I began to emaciate. When Mrs Okafor observed these, she collected my phone and changed my line, booked me for weekly counselling sessions in her hospital and registered me for antenatal care with her own money. I kept insisting that I didn’t wish to keep the baby because I didn’t want to bring a child into the world to suffer. Mrs Okafor suggested that I could take the baby to an adoption agency. She also said that if I didn’t mind, she could adopt the child since she’d been in a childless marriage for 5 years. She said she believed God would still answer her prayers, but if that would make me feel better, she’d discuss with her husband to consider adopting the baby.”

“So, you are going to give her the baby?” I asked in surprise. Maybe this was the time to ask both of them the question I had for Tayo, “Will she return the baby to you when you and Tayo finally get married?”

“What?!” They screamed together as if I was cursing them.

Quick question: How many months pregnant is Tolani?

To be continued.

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-11/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2016
CuteChiluv:
I guess this should be a starting point for them, just trying to picture their faces , hot seat activated, well done

Thanks dear... Am Encouraged! smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2016
joanee20:
Enjoying this great story..kudos

Thanks Friend! smiley smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by joanee20(f): 8:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Thanks Friend! smiley smiley
You so welcome

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by jacy67(f): 10:49pm On Jun 16, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Thanks for coming by jacy67. Though you arrived late angry
better late than never. It's a life changing story. I was so curious that I don't wait for next update. So, I've read all the episode from your blog.
Thanks for the mentions

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 1:58pm On Jun 17, 2016
jacy67:

better late than never. It's a life changing story. I was so curious that I don't wait for next update. So, I've read all the episode from your blog.
Thanks for the mentions

You're always welcome dear! smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 2:02pm On Jun 17, 2016
Episode 12

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: … a time to keep silence, and a time to speak” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 7).

There are Bible passages that you may not fully understand their import until you find yourself in a position to apply them. That moment, in Mrs Okafor’s office, was the moment I truly understood what the wise king wrote. I understood that you could still be very wrong even if you were asking a right question, if you ask at the wrong time.

I had been thinking about what Tayo’s decision would be about his relationship with Tolani, and I planned asking him about it. I remember they’d broken up, but I wanted to know if it was temporary or permanent since he seemed to be very fond of her in his writings. Perhaps, I should have asked Tayo before we ever got to meet Tolani face to face.

Tolani’s reaction was appalling. She got up from her sit with a rage I didn’t expect. The beauty of her face shrank into surly facial expression. ‘Anger indeed makes one ugly.’ My hand reached for the button…

“DON’T!” She hollered. “Don’t even dare touch that button!” I withdrew my hand quickly.

“Do you think you can fool me? Or, you think I don’t understand where this is going.” Immediately she said that, my error dawned on me. They obviously had not talked about getting married to each other. Possible reasons flooded my mind: ‘Maybe she’s still angry with Tayo for what happened. Or, could it be Tayo who didn’t want her anymore because of the mistake they’d made? Or, wait! What does she mean by “where this is going”? Hope she’s not thinking we came here to propose…’ I had to speak out to save myself immediately.

“No, Tolani. I’m very sure it’s not what you’re thinking.” I stood up to make myself clear.

“Sit!” She barked at me. I just made matters worse. I obeyed as quickly as possible and sat like a guilty pet awaiting its owner’s judgement.

“How did you know what I was thinking? Tell me. How?” I was flummoxed. When she saw the confusion written all over my face, she left me and turned to Tayo.

“So this was your plan. Right? Walking up to me and talking about Physics all that time; walking me home and buying me lunch; paying me visits and pretending to be ‘just a friend’. Poor me!” While she was busy ranting, I quickly pressed the button. In fact, I pressed it repeatedly to make sure Mrs Okafor heard it wherever she was.

“How did I not see this coming?” Tolani continued, “I know now, only that it’s too late. Now I know what your plan was: you wanted to marry me but you needed to be sure I wasn’t infertile, or that you were not sterile. How dumb I was! Now that you have proved your point, you brought your friend here to propose on your behalf…” She busted into tears. Tayo remained speechless.

Just then, Mrs Okafor walked in.

“What is going on here?” Tolani was already in tears while Tayo’s head hung low. Mrs Okafor turned to me, “Femi, talk to me. What happened here?”

“It’s all my fault. I am very sorry. I guess I said something wrong.” I turned to Tolani to apologize.

“Stay away from me!” She said in anger. Facing Mrs Okafor, “Did you know about this too? And you agreed to it?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Tolani. Will you calm down while we talk this over?” She suggested.

“Ah! Tayo, so you tricked her too? Shame on you! Shame on you. How could you be so heartless? How could you do this to me? Tell me why. I mean, of all the people …”

“TOLANI!” Mrs Okafor shouted, “I’m sitting right here and you’re acting this way? I said, sit down and let me listen to what happened.” Tolani sat down on a separate chair, sobbing in sporadic intervals.

“Yes, Femi, I’m listening. What happened?”

To Be Continued...

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-12/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2016
Episode 13

One good thing about counsellors is their ability to listen to people without interrupting. I think it makes them more attractive. After listen to my side of the story, and comparing with Tolani’s earlier display, she was able to reconcile us all with one another. However, the question I asked still remained unanswered and I was dying to know the answer.

Tolani gave me a smile and apologized for her unadvised behaviour. She turned to Tayo, who had not spoken a word since, and gave him a familiar smile. He recognized the signal to mean an apology, wore a smile that didn’t last and shrugged in indifference. He had actually been thinking about my question. He and Tolani had truly not discussed the prospects of what they had—if it could even be called a relationship.

Tayo admired Tolani; she was everything a man could want in a woman. There was just one problem: he never thought of marrying her. They had talked about things they would do in the future as married persons, but they never talked about getting married to each other—at least not in any direct terms. Tayo’s concern was that if he told her he never had the intention of marrying her, wouldn’t she be offended?

Tolani immediately deduced from Tayo’s response that something was on his mind. They were once close, so it was easy for her to hear his unspoken words.

“What’s on your mind, Tayo?” Her question jerked him back to consciousness.

“Erm, nothing. Nothing serious.” He tried to hide his being lost in thoughts.

“That makes it easier for you to say, since it’s ‘nothing serious’.” Tolani commented. I waited patiently to hear what was on Tayo’s mind and wishing that our thoughts would be the same.

“Let me come in here.” Mrs Okafor interrupted to save Tayo. Somehow, she knew what Tayo could be thinking and foresaw that if he presented it himself, it could raise again a settling dust.

“I prepared a few questions for both Tayo and Tolani to answer. Would you like me to take you through the questions or you prefer to go through them by yourselves? If you choose the latter, that means Femi and I would have to excuse you?”

They looked at each other and agreed to have Mrs Okafor coordinate the session. I stood up, pretending I wanted to leave, “You can stay too, Femi.” Tolani said. Tayo concurred with a nod and I was happy because I couldn’t imagine missing a session like that.

She started by appreciating the maturity which they both displayed in handling the matter. Though they overreacted in some cases, she let that off as their being human. She asked different general questions, including how resentful they felt about each other before and after they met her. Their responses seemed pleasing to her. They both agreed that at some point they blamed the other person while they hated themselves. Tolani explained that the counselling sessions were particularly helpful in healing her broken heart. Tayo commended my persistence despite his consistent rejection until I broke through him. He described me as a friend who was closer than a brother—one who was there for him at his hour of need.

The counsellor went further to ask what their plan for the unborn child was. Tolani was the first to respond. She made it clear that one major reason she decided to keep the baby was because of the option of placing him for adoption which would give him the care he deserved. She never thought of that as an option until she met Mrs Okafor. Tayo confessed that he was ill-prepared to father a child at the moment and couldn’t think of a better alternative, especially if the Okafors would be willing to adopt the child.

“Would you still go on with this plan even if my family won’t be able to adopt the baby?”

“But, why?” Tolani asked, feeling disappointed. “During my last scan, I was told the baby’s okay.”

“Tolani, it’s not about you or the baby.” Mrs Okafor replied with a smile.

“Then, why don’t you want him? Or, is it because of anything we said or did?” Tolani’s face was beginning to change.

“As I said, it is neither about you nor is it about Tayo. I have good news.” She paused to assess our reactions, then continued, “The good news is that about a month ago, I discovered that I had taken in too, and that has caused me to reconsider our…”

Before she could finish her sentence, Tolani sprang on her in uncontained excitement. Mrs Okafor who had been waiting for her own bundle of joy for the last 5 years was finally going to have it. We were all happy for her.

“I ask that we keep this secret for now.” Mrs Okafor managed to say after she was released from Tolani’s grasp.

“Let’s come back to you. Since I won’t be able to go through with the adoption anymore, we need to have a concrete plan for the child.” Turning to Tayo, She asked, “What do you suggest?”

“I maintain my initial stance because I still lack the resources—financial resources especially—to cater for the child. However, I believe Tolani’s convenience is paramount and I will support whatever she feels is best for her in this situation.” I was not sure where Tayo was going with this but he was dashing my hopes of being an uncle too soon.

‘Why wouldn’t he want her to keep the baby? I sensed money’s not the main issue there. He was probably trying to get the baby as far from him as possible so that his parents wouldn’t know. That must be it!’ I needed a proof to ascertain the theory in my thoughts. I shifted in my seat, thinking of what to say. ‘NO!’ Not again. Talking at that time was a bad idea.

“Tolani, the ball is in your court. What do you think is best for you?” Mrs Okafor asked.

“I … I don’t know. I just want the baby to be fine and well taken care of. I really wish there was something I could do.” Tolani’s answer showed that she was having second thoughts about the initial plan.

To Be Continued...

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-13/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2016
Episode 14

The atmosphere was tense. A prospective mother was about making a decision to either keep the first fruit of her womb or present him for adoption by an unknown family. If she did the former, she couldn’t guarantee that she would be able to provide for the all the child’s needs; if she chose to do the later, she could be risking a lifetime of unanswered questions about what his whereabouts and well-being would be. She had more worries: ‘If the child found out in future that she gave him away to another family, would he hate her for it? What if he grew up to become a very successful person? What if…’

She ruminated over these for minutes. After placing all her cards on the table, she reached a conclusion eventually.

“I’m keeping him.” She hesitated a little, then continued, “I know it sounds half-baked but that’s my decision. I am already bearing the shame of having an unwanted pregnancy, the labour pains await me too. I can’t go through all that for nothing.”

“That is a good decision, my dear.” Mrs Okafor said. “Can I make a proposition?”

“Of course ma.” We all turned to her. She was the woman of the moment. In the last few hours, she had proffered solutions to the toughest of our various problems. We knew whatever proposition she wanted to make would be laudable.

“If you both feel convenient with it, Tolani can keep the baby while my family will contribute to the financial upkeep of the unborn child. She can even live in our guest room for as long as she wants because she’s more like family now.”

“That sounds perfect.” Tolani remarked. She looked at Tayo expecting a reply. He too seemed pleased with the idea.

“Good.” Mrs Okafor commented. “Let’s consider the final question. I’ll need to ask you this individually. So, Femi and Tayo, please excuse us for a minute.”

Technically, Mrs Okafor asked them the same question I earlier did, only that she asked with more wisdom and maturity, and certainly not in the exact words I used.

Tolani had already told Mrs Okafor in their previous sessions that she had no intention of getting married to Tayo. She opened up that initially she thought they would end up together because of his eloquence, virtuoso, and godliness. However, just before their sexual affair, she knew that there was no way there. The only restraint then was that she didn’t know how to end things with him because of her admiration for him. After she became pregnant, the infatuation died down completely.

Tayo told Mrs Okafor that his relationship with Tolani was merely a friends’ affair which they didn’t intend to become romantic in any way. He liked her, but long before he got her in trouble, he was convinced beyond any doubt that she was not ‘the one’. Deciding to marry her because she’s pregnant for him would be tantamount to marrying out of pity, which—among other things—is a very wrong reason to get married.

After confirming from both parties that neither of them had any matrimonial intention towards each other, she brought them together and finalized matters. She challenged them not to allow their fault to repeat itself between them or with anyone else. She also counselled them not to allow the past they’ve had to destroy their future. They were to strive to ensure that their future spouses were not made to pay for the mistakes they made in the past.

She wished them well and returned Tolani’s phone to her. Tayo will have to contact her more often as the expected date of delivery was just about a month away. We all thanked Mrs Okafor and took our leave.

As Tayo and I walked back to the park, he tapped me gently on the shoulder and said, “Femi, I want to ask you a question and I need you to be completely honest with me as a good friend. Can you promise me you’ll do that?”

“Ask me anything, Tayo. I promise to be as sincere as possible. After all, what are friends for?” I said with all confidence.

Tayo stopped, looked straight into my eyes, and asked, “Do you think I should tell my parents?”

To Be Continued....

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-14/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by joanee20(f): 7:06pm On Jun 18, 2016
Kwontinu o...I dey your back

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2016
joanee20:
Kwontinu o...I dey your back

Thanks friend smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 12:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
Episode 15

Pastor Adekunle was a strict man. Before he got called into the ministry as a full time pastor, he served briefly with the army. He used to tell of the rigorousness of their training sessions. His home was a mini-barrack. Back in the day, when I was much younger and used to go over there to spend the holiday with my friend, he would sit us down and read a set of rules to us before anything else: You must not get out of bed before saying your morning prayers. All house chores must be done before breakfast. You must finish all your holiday assignments within the first week of the break…

Aside those, the life there was regimented. You dared not sleep beyond 5 am. Hearing his footsteps alone was enough to summon your spirit from whatever dreamland you went back to the land of the living. Otherwise, horse whips would do the work. To him, waking up late meant no other thing than that you played too much during the day or was awake beyond bed time. Breakfast was served at 8 am, lunch at 2.30, and supper at 7.30, after which we were allowed to watch the television for just 30 minutes. The evening prayers would be said for another 30 minutes before daddy shooed us to our bedroom. ‘Early to bed, early to rise.’

After we were gone, he would settle down to watch the news or whatever it was that he watched, while we would hide in the room playing games. He believed we were asleep, so we kept our voices as low as possible. We’d invented several paper, number, and word games that sometimes kept us till midnight. We had a jotter where we kept our scores hidden under Tayo’s bed while the games tools were stuffed in a shoebox under a pile of clothes concealed somewhere in the wardrobe. Getting caught playing games at bed time meant we would do frog jumps till our femurs ached and we could barely stand upright.

As non-indulgent as he was, he still represented a caring father who listened to us anytime we had genuine issues. He taught us the Scriptures, answered our questions and, occasionally, told us stories. Sometimes, especially on weekends, he would take us out for an early morning jog. We usually came back almost breathless.

Tayo’s mom was a nice woman—by our judgement. As far as we were concerned, she was our saviour. Anytime we did something wrong, we ran to her first. It’s not that she cosseted us. No. She only seemed to understand our childhood tendencies more than her husband. She corrected us when we needed correction, but in a more tolerable way.

I remember this one time she grounded us for a whole day for fighting in church. One of the children in the Sunday School had said something mean to Tayo and I had to defend my friend by hitting the boy. A fight ensued, the youth pastor broke us up and reported us to Mrs Adekunle. She decided not to tell her husband because she knew what thorough beating we would get. Instead, she shortened our ration of food during supper that night. Who dared ask for more? The day after, after dad had gone out to the office, she locked us up in different bathrooms and we didn’t come out until it was supper-time. Compared to Pastor’s horsewhips, that was fair. And, that was the last time either of us ever fought in church.

Things haven’t changed much. He is still very much of a stern disciplinarian. Looking back now, I appreciate those disciplines he instilled in us early in life. They have moulded us into responsible young men. But now, Tayo had made a mistake. Neither of us could predict what his reaction would be.

‘Tayo was just healing.’ I thought. ‘This is probably not the best time. But then, Tolani would soon be delivered of a baby boy. Wouldn’t it be fair to let the Adekunles know they were going to be grandparents in few weeks’ time?’

I had to say something. “I am of the opinion that you should tell them.” He looked worried. “I have no idea how you will present it to them but they deserve to know.”

“I know they do… but I’m afraid.” His countenance fell. “I’m too scared to imagine what my father’s reaction would be.”

“In the worst case, he could disown you.” He looked terrified. Should I have said that? “But, I’m sure he won’t. You’re his only son.” I added quickly.

“I need to think deeply about this.” He concluded as we continued our journey home.

Days passed. I longed to know what his final decision was. He didn’t mention it when we met in church on Sunday. We didn’t have time to talk that much because he was busy attending to people who hadn’t seen him in months. They wanted to know what kept him away for so long. He only told them he needed the break but that he was back and better.

For me, I was finally free from the endless questions on his whereabouts, especially from the head usher. No one, aside me, knew the main reason behind his long absence. He’d asked me to keep it secret, and I’d agreed. Everyone was glad to have him back.

Eventually, he came to my room during the week. He had thought of something. “I have decided to tell them.” He looked searchingly into my eyes as if he was expecting me to comment. Then he continued, “But I can’t do this alone.”

“What are you insinuating?” I interrupted. “I’m not facing your father with this kind of news. I think I’ve done enough as a friend should do. If you need my help in any other way, I’ll be here for you. But to help you break this news to your parents, I’m sorry, I’m out.”

“If my best friend is rejecting me already, then my father would be justified to disown me.” His eyes welled up with tears. That was my Achilles’ heel. Seeing him cry made me emotional.

“I’m not rejecting you, Tayo.” I toned down. “I just think this is a family matter that must be settled indoors.”

“You are my family, Femi.” He managed to say between sobs. “You are the only brother I have.”

He was right. He was his parents’ only son, just like me. My parents’ frequent out-of-town journeys made me spend more time in their house. We were like each other’s brothers.

I thought for a while. “I think I have an idea.”

“Spill it!” He dried his eyes waiting to hear what I had to say.

“I think Mrs Okafor can help? She was able to help Tolani break the news to her parents, she should be able to help you too.”

“I’ve thought of that but I don’t know if she’d want to.” We had met her only once. Though she’d spoken to Tayo within the week, he didn’t want to bother her with his cross.

“There’s only one way to find out.” I offered my phone. “Call her.”

The phone rang twice. No one answered. That was unusual. Mrs Okafor always answered her phone—ALWAYS. I collected the phone and redialed, putting it on speaker volume. The line rang again, and just when it was about to disconnect, it was answered.

“Hello!” The voice wasn’t hers. It was a man’s. ‘Maybe it’s her husband.’ I whispered to Tayo to whom I had passed the phone.

“Hello sir. I want to speak with Mrs Okafor.” He struggled to say.

“Is that her name? The owner of …” He paused. He seemed distracted. Talking to others around him while he was on the phone with us. What a lack of telephone manners! Indistinct discussions went on in the background. We tried in vain to pick any meaningful sentence.

“Over here. Please come faster. She’s bleeding. I was walking by when …” The siren of an ambulance wailed loudly that we couldn’t hear the rest of what he said. That should be the voice of the man holding the phone. We became worried and impatient.

Soon he was back on the line. “What did you say her name was again?”

“Mrs Okafor. Please, tell us what is going on. Is she alright?” He left speaking with us again, repeating the name to someone around him.

“I can’t say for sure.” He told us. “I saw her lying on the floor in front of a psychiatric hospital. Maybe she’s one of their patients trying to escape before she was hit by a cab.”

“No, she’s not a patient. She works there.” We argued.

“Well, she has been taken inside. I hope she makes it. It guess it was a ‘hit-and-run’ and she’s lost much blood.” The line went dead.

Without second thoughts, we prepared and left to see her.

To Be Continued...

CC: Mynd44, Lalasticlala

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-15/
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 1:45pm On Jun 20, 2016
Episode 16

Why do bad things happen to good people?

The answer to this question has always eluded me. I’d asked my parents before but they could not give me a satisfactory answer. “Son,” dad said after I asked why Dan died at such a young age, “God doesn’t owe any of us explanations of why He does the things He does, neither do we have any justifiable ground to question His sovereignty.” His answer was always the same every other time I asked. Mom often added, “God does what He likes, to who He wants, when He pleases. We may never know why, but—if we are His children—we can only trust that He has our best interests at heart. When we get to heaven, we’ll know it all.”

Maybe it’s true that heaven holds all the answers we’ll never know till we’re there. I sure must make that heaven. I need to see Jesus because I have some questions for Him. I’d like to know why Daniel, my childhood friend, had to die of leukaemia before his sixth birthday. I’d like to why Juliet, my niece, had to taste a little bit of hell in a fire accident that consumed her skin and deformed her face, leaving her with permanent disabilities. I’d like to know what algorithm defined which and whose children were born with holes in the heart, boneless limbs, or even still-born. Those horrifying thoughts sent a shot of cold shivers down my spine as I paced around.

Feeling depressed, I sank into a chair in the hospital lobby knowing I would probably never get answers to my questions—at least, not on this side of eternity.

Sandwiched between Tayo and Mr Okafor, I wondered what they were ruminating in their minds. Mr Okafor had been called immediately his wife was brought to the hospital. He was told she went to buy some fruits and was already on her way back before a driver swerved off the road making her stumble till she fell, before veering back, and off. She’d fallen on her tommy which landed heavily on the watermelon she was carrying, while she hit her head another ball that rolled out, knocking her unconscious. The doctor had assured him before we arrived that she’d be alright but he couldn’t guarantee the safety of the unborn child. It was the same doctor who had conducted her pregnancy test.

More questions busied my mind.

Why do the wicked live for a century while the righteous are cut off in the prime of their years? Why is it that those who barely attend lectures and cheat in exams get away with it forming genius while diligent Christian students who preach against examination malpractices keep having failed references? Why is it that those who have legitimate businesses hardly make profit enough to cater for their families while the fraudsters are swimming in wealth? Why do young ladies who prostitute their lives away keep getting pregnant for abortionists while those who married in the will of God cannot even conceive from dawn to dusk, after years of marriage?

Why is it that after waiting for the fruit of the womb for half a decade years, Mrs Okafor had to lose her first seed to a drunk driver, while we still hoped she herself survives?

Why this? Why her? Why now?!

I was jolted by the creaking of the door leading to the emergency ward. I sat up, stretching to catch a glimpse of what was happening inside. The door went ajar revealing the doctor who was removing blood-stained gloves and ditching them in a trash can behind the door. Two nurses appeared, one carrying a file, while the other waited on the doctor. Mr Okafor stood up to meet the doctor as she approached, gazing searchingly at her.

“I’m sorry, Mr Okafor. We tried the best we could. Your wife is okay but we had to evacuate the fetal remains to—” Doctor Sarah’s words met Mr Okafor’s teary eyes. Another dashed hope. He’d waited for years just to hear her tell him she was pregnant. When she finally did last month, he had taken her shopping for herself and the unborn child. Who cared if it’s a boy or a girl!

“If it makes you feel any better”, she added quickly, “Her womb is intact, which is a miracle because the impact the fruit had on her was what caused the bleeding. I’m sure you’ll have another one.” She patted him on the shoulder in a consolatory manner before making her way to another waiting patient. He’d have to wait a little longer; his wife needed a short rest because of the blood she’d lost. Tayo and I offered our condolences and promised to return the next day.

Now that Mrs Okafor wouldn’t be able to help us with our plight, we had to find another way.

“How about asking Tolani about it? Maybe she could tell us what Mrs Okafor said to her parents and how the whole thing went.” I suggested.

“She already has enough on her plate. I don’t want to bother her with my own concerns. Plus, I can’t meet with her without Mrs Okafor’s consent.”

“But you can talk with her over the phone for as long as you want.” I protested.

“Yes.”

“Then, you’ll call her as soon as we get home.”

The journey home was rather strange. Tayo hardly spoke, and when he did, it was laconic. Every now and then, he took deep breaths, then exhaled loudly. I kept wondering what he had on his mind. He sure had much to think about: he was going to be a father in a short while and he still hasn’t been able to wrap his mind around the best way to present the situation to his father of strict demeanour. I better leave him with his mentation.

We arrived the hostel late. The car had a puncture which took time to fix as the driver didn’t carry a spare tyre. We went straight to Tayo’s room ready to make the call. Tayo was dialling Tolani’s number when my phone rang. It was Mrs Okafor. I signalled him to continue with his call while answered mine.

“Hello, Femi.” I could tell Mrs Okafor’s voice from anyone else’s; she had this warm telephone voice that bore the force of a thorough massage. This wasn’t hers, it was Tolani’s—gentle and innocuous. Why was Tolani calling with Mrs’ Okafor’s number?

“Hello, Tolani. Good evening.” Tayo, whose call had gone unanswered looked toward me when he heard me mention Tolani’s name. “Is Mrs Okafor around?”

“Yes. She asked me to call on her behalf. She appreciates your visit.”

“Oh. It’s nothing. After all she’s done for us, that’s the least we could do in return.”

“She also wants to know why you called earlier in the day.”

“You mean this afternoon? We just wanted to ask her opinion about something.” He paused for a moment contemplating telling her, but he quickly changed his mind, “It can wait.”

“I’ll tell her you said so.”

“Please do. And you, how’re you feeling?” I expected her to be weak and indisposed, and maybe bedridden—after all, she’s pregnant. My tone conveyed my thoughts.

“Pregnancy is not a sickness, Femi. I feel well and dandy.” Really? I used to think of pregnant people as sick folks. It’s a good thing I’m learning this. My silence sold me out. “I’m sure you didn’t know that before.” I do now. “I missed Tayo’s call a moment ago, is he there with you?”

“Yes, he is. You want to speak with him?”

“I think he wants to speak with me.” I passed the phone to Tayo.

After they exchanged pleasantries, Tayo went on to ask how Mrs Okafor was able to help her inform her parents. She explained how furious her father got when he was told. If not that she’d grown into a lady, he would probably have flogged her that day. She told of how it took the intervention of Mrs Okafor to calm him down and make him reason with them that the deed had already been done and nothing could be done to undo it. They needed to focus on the solution. Her mother was quiet but sad, shaking her head in pity and giving her daughter sorry looks. Tolani knew she was a bad example to her younger ones who were still in high school.

Tolani quickly changed the subject of their discussion when she heard footsteps but Mrs Okafor had heard enough to know what was going on. “I thought you were resting.” We could overhear Tolani ask.

“I was, until I started hearing the trend of your conversation with Tayo. He hasn’t told his parents, has he?” Mrs Okafor’s voice became clearer as she approached Tolani. “Let me have the phone. Hello, Tayo.”

“Good evening ma.” Tayo stammered a response. “Hope you’re feeling better?”

“Yes, I am. It’s just a bruise around my chin and a slight headache.” She sounded like everything was alright. “We need to talk. Is tomorrow okay by you?”

“Ma, do you really have to go to work tomorrow? You need to rest.”

“I’m off for the rest of the week, you’ll have to come over to my house. We have a little family matter to discuss.” She’d once told us Tolani was more like family to her. Obviously, Tayo too had become one.

“Tomorrow it is then. Do have a restful night ma.” She wished me the same and ended the call.

To Be Continued...

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-16/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by TONYE001(m): 2:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
Olajhidey22:
Roaster Call:
Lalasticlala, Ishilove, Semid4lyfe, Obinoscopy, Maiconyoung, Jacy67, Snowangel, Joepretty, Oyay, Dandypearl, heemah,iykekelvins, joanee20, Missmossy, virtuedagirl, ashatoda, missviva, iykekelvins, luciangelymail, Heemah, DandyPearl, Bellovers, Sageez, Afz9095, Ysadiq, VMtuppence, Calmdove, Domido, Maggielovely, Rukkydelta, Damyem, Mutdam, Olaxtra, Daslad, M003, Ernie98, Kingphillip, Youngseraph, Emerald18, Jhybho, Fiyah, Chinwezdasilva, Jsharp, Adajiboyy, Ideatoprince18, Deesquare01, Nidaxj, Snowangel, Gbens2000, Spdazzy, Mattkent, Dimssy, Hefelove, Iyoha240, gbens2000, vaxt, TONYE001, Mczigx, saxwizard, SimpleBea, bukaty, Maiconyoung, Euniz, dadido, oluangelkay

Sincere apologies to names i can't recall, you're all welcome.

Please let me know if you guys are following so i can proceed.

Je suis la...

Thanks for the mention..

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 4:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
TONYE001:

Je suis la...

Thanks for the mention..

Je vous en prie grin

You are welcome

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 4:45pm On Jun 20, 2016
Episode 17

The day started like all other days. Mrs Okafor had sent her home address the previous night, and prepared to go see her. Since the new semester started, I’ve been usually less busy on Wednesdays. My project supervisor gave me the day off so I could gather resources for my research work. I was learning quite a lot by observing Mrs Okafo. Although I might have mentioned it in passing that I was a student of psychology, we hadn’t had time to talk about my career exhaustively. Perhaps, this would be my opportunity to relate with her on a professional level.

Should anyone question my presence, I had a ready defense: ‘If Mrs Okafor regarded Tolani and Tayo as family, then I was family too. Tayo had referred to me as his brother when he needed my help. If Tayo was a brother to me, and a family member to Mrs Okafor, then I was Mrs Okafor’s family too.’ The logic looked sound to me. Fallacy of whatever!

Tayo and I set out early enough. I didn’t have to prove to him why I should go with. Even if I didn’t want to, he would have compelled me. Maybe my presence gave him some extra courage to face his ordeal. I’d observed that he felt more comfortable with me around. Typical of good friends, I guess.

We arrived our destination early enough. Mr Okafor had gone to his place of work. Mrs Okafor was resting on a garden chair outside the house, with a book in her hands. She led us inside the residence: a three-bedroom flat apartment. The walls were painted cream, perfectly matching the chocolate-coloured door-frames. An oil painting of a nursing mother hung on the wall. I like this woman’s faith. The brown sofa cast an invisible shadow on the shiny-black tiled floor. A vase of Aloe vera gave the living room an ambience of floral scent.

“Feel at home, gentlemen.” She opened the refrigerator and presented us with pairs of bottled water and drinking glasses. She soon returned with a jug of chilled juice. The jugful tasted uniquely refreshing. “Is this homemade?” I asked.

“My hubby’s recipe. He doesn’t like all these sugary potables and candied bars. He blends fruits for his juice.” She gave us a searching look. “Most young men of these days prefer to buy soft drinks, don’t they?” Tayo and I laughed out loud. “As long as it is soft.” I remarked.

“Tolani will be here presently. She’s likes to sit with Debby in the kitchen.” Who’s Debby? I almost asked. Just then, a beautiful young lady approached from the left-wing of the house with a plate of fries. As soon as she dropped the plate on the stool, Mrs Okafor did the introductions.

“Tayo and Femi, meet Debby, my little sister. Debby, meet Tayo and Femi, our ‘friends’.”

We stood as we exchanged handshakes. “It’s a delight to meet you,” I said, wearing a broad smile. She simply smiled back, saying nothing as she returned to the kitchen. “She’s a nurse.” Mrs Okafor added. “She just finished her course last month. She comes visiting occasionally but came in last night when she had about my accident.”

“She’s beautiful.” Did I just say that? My mouth was running loose again. Mrs Okafor gave me an explain-yourself look. I set to work promptly, “I mean, that is a beautiful profession. Nursing is a beautiful profession. And, nurses are beautiful, aren’t they? Looking like angels in their uniforms as they walk around the hospital premises, helping the helpless.” The more I struggled to defend myself, the more entangled I became in the web of my words. I’d better stop talking! I took a quick sip from my glass of juice, again.

“Looks like someone has interest in nurses.” Mrs Okafor said wryly. “How much do you know about them?”

I thought the topic had ended, but she wasn’t going to let me go easily. I summoned courage to give an answer. “Interest? Not really. I have a nurse for an aunt and she’s known for just two things: fixing cuts and sticking butts.” I said that as Debby walked back in with the entrée. “No offence intended.” I said, looking in her direction.

“None taken. I actually find that funny.” She smiled softly, then said instructively, “We fix cuts and stick butts, but we can do way lot more than that.” Finally, she’s talking. I wanted to sustain the conversation by asking her another question, but she turned back almost immediately after setting the table, while Tolani replaced her.

Tayo who’d been busy pouring over a magazine glanced at the prospective mother of his unborn son. She greeted us casually and took her seat beside Mrs Okafor.

“You have been quiet, Tayo.” Mrs Okafor observed. “And, your food is getting cold. Eat, after that, we’ll talk.”

We set to work immediately while Tolani and Mrs Okafor excused themselves to talk outside. Debby must be a good cook. I mumbled. Maybe this is what she meant by nurses being able to do ‘way lot more than that’. We consumed the cassava flower with a combination of masculine and esurient intensity. The assorted melon-vegetable soup replete with stock fish, clawless lobsters, and roasted turkey leading the way for each bolus. And, there was homemade juice to flush it down! Neither of us had had such a good meal in weeks. It was really sumptuous.

Our hosts came back inside almost immediately we finished eating, that I began to think they’d been watching us all along. We thanked them for the meal while I resisted the temptation to comment on the toothsomeness of the food. It was obvious who the cook was and I didn’t want anyone to start thinking I was interested in her. Or, was I?

Tayo returned to the magazine he’d been reading. He’s still a voracious reader. He reads anything and everything he laid his hands upon. When Mrs Okafor asked him about his father, he shifted in his seat first. He went on to describe how firm and stern his father could be, citing several instances of his father’s expression of disapproval. None was close to palatable.

“I learnt your father is a pastor.” Mrs Okafor said without any particular expression on her face.

“Is that a good thing or not?” Tayo was curious to know why she asked.

“Both. One would have expected more from a pastor’s kid. But then, it’s also good for you in this case. It could be your get-out-of-jail-free card.”

“How do you mean, ma?” Tayo asked, puzzled. “Especially, the second part.”

“You’ll see.” She waved his question away. “Tell me about his routine.”

“He goes to his office in the church every weekday. He holds series of meetings with other pastors most of those days; some within the city, some without. He gets home late on Wednesdays because that’s the only day he has to counsel and pray with the members. He goes out visiting visitors after the Sunday service. That’s basically all.”

“That means he’ll be counselling today.” Mrs Okafor wanted to confirm.

“Throughout today.” Tayo emphasized.

She thought for a moment before speaking. “That means we have a journey to make.”

To Be Continued....

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-17/

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by TONYE001(m): 4:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Je vous en prie grin

You are welcome

D'accord.. wink

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 5:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
Episode 18

Tayo dissented with Mrs Okafor on the idea. I don’t know what he was thinking. Maybe he was expecting her to hand him a script that he would perform while breaking the news. On the contrary, his counsellor had other plans. He tried to dissuade her on the grounds of her health to which she replied, “I feel better than you. Everyone here can testify to that.” She was right. Tayo’s look said more than his mouth; he was sick within.

“I know you feel okay, but ma, the journey is long and you shouldn’t be driving yet.” He pushed harder to see if he could deter her from going.

“You say that like it’s more than an hour drive from here. It won’t hurt to drive that far.” Mrs Okafor insisted, noting Tayo’s reluctance.

“Are you not going to say anything?” He was facing me now. “Or, are you with her on this?”

“Except you have a better plan, I am. It’s you she’s trying to help, Tayo.” I would have offered to drive but neither Tayo nor I had a driver’s licence yet. My dad had insisted that I wait till after graduation before getting mine.

“Debby can drive you there.” Tolani chipped in.

“Oh dear, I know she’d want to but I’ll prefer her to stay at home and take care of you.” Mrs Okafor said, turning to Tolani.

“I’ll be fine on my own. Plus I have an appointment with Doctor Sarah at noon.” Tolani was almost due. She’s expecting in two weeks’ time or thereabout.

Debby agreed to drive. Tayo sat in the front seat beside her, while I and Mrs Okafor sat at the back, giving us time to talk. We talked about my proposed research work.

“I’ll be writing on The Effect of Therapy on Depressed Individuals.” My project supervisor had earlier accepted and approved my proposal. He wished me well if I could find enough case studies for my research. He lamented the discouraging situation of how fewer people attend therapy these days. I put the question to her, expecting her expert opinion.

“Getting people into the counselling room is one thing, making them talk is another. ‘You can force a horse to the river, but you can’t force it to drink.’ Some people are so curled up in their shells that it may take several sessions to get them talking.” She paused as if she remembered something, then continued. “One of the lessons I’ve learnt as a psychological therapist is that, sometimes, all you need to solve a problem is simply sharing it.” Tayo turned back giving an acknowledging smile. Then, without saying a word, he turned away.

We talked some more and she promised to assist in whatever way she could. As soon as we rounded off our discussion, Tayo’s awful silence became louder. It overshadowed Liszt’s piano works that had been playing softly.

“Are you sure everything is okay with you, Tayo?” Mrs Okafor asked, feeling concerned.

Tayo looked back, hesitated and replied, “No. Everything is not okay.”

“Everything will be alright. You just need to take a deep breath and relax. You are going to be fine.” Mrs Okafor tried to encourage him, thinking he was only nervous about confronting his dad with the news. He’d sinned. Though, now forgiven by God, he couldn’t tell how soon his father would forgive him or what it would cost.

Tayo nodded. I squeezed his shoulders gently from the back and encouraged him too. He place his hands on mine. “Thanks.”

We arrived the street of the church before 1.00 pm. Debby pulled over about 2 blocks from the church as planned. Mrs Okafor gave a hint of the next step. “I’ll go in alone. Keep your phones on, when and if need be, I’ll call you to join me.” She didn’t say what she’ll say when she gets inside.

Tayo apprised her on the layout of the building. The church secretariat was located on the left-wing of the building. The secretary’s office led to the pastor’s office on the right, and the conference room on the left. Pastor Adekunle’s office was the one with a transparent sound-proof glass wall. He had it installed as a precautionary measure for himself while maintaining his counselees’ privacy. We said a short prayer committing Tayo’s dad’s heart to God. We also asked for wisdom for Mrs Okafor before she stepped out of the car.

Debby was humming along to the Mozart’s Exsultate, Jubilate and every other piece in The Essential she was playing while Tayo sat silent, still. I tried to distract myself with a Journal of Mental Health I found beside me. I turned the pages without giving much attention to its contents.

After about 20 minutes, Mrs Okafor rang Tayo and told him to join her. I breathed a prayer for my friend.

Now that only Debby and I were left in the car, I felt it was time to chat her up, but she was enjoying her music, and I felt it would be rude to intrude. I cautioned myself, not wanting to make a fool of myself, again.

“Would you mind checking up on them?” Debby asked, as she slot in a mix of other classical compositions. They’d been gone for almost an hour and neither of us had heard anything from them.

“I wish I could.” I didn’t know what mood Tayo’s dad was at the moment and I wasn’t ready to find out. “They’ll soon be back.” I assured.

“If you say so.” She returned to her humming while texting on her phone.

Now that she’d opened the floor, I felt more convenient having a conversation. “You seem to like classical music.”

She looked into the rear mirror, shook her head and replied, “More than you know.” She was surprised when I joined her on Don Giovanni, and hummed along to other tunes.

I was about asking another question when Mrs Okafor appeared. And then came, Tayo and his father. My lips froze. My heart began to pound. Pastor Adekunle’s face was difficult to interpret from a distance. As they came closer, I observed that things probably went well. I was dying to know how that happened. What did she say? How did she say it?

To Be Continued.....

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-18/

2 Likes

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by hefelove(m): 10:04am On Jun 21, 2016
nice story bur abeg update quickly o

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by CuteChiluv: 10:59am On Jun 21, 2016
I love this story, enjoying every updates, so inspiring and alot of lessons to learn, no one is above mistakes and when the deed is done, how we handle the issues matters alot, i feel for tayo for who he is and where he is coming from, thankGod for his good friend, Grace is really needed., well done, sir

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 1:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
hefelove:
nice story bur abeg update quickly o

Ayam sowrie ma embarassed.. Updating the remaining episodes right away smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 1:56pm On Jun 21, 2016
CuteChiluv:
I love this story, enjoying every updates, so inspiring and alot of lessons to learn, no one is above mistakes and when the deed is done, how we handle the issues matters alot, i feel for tayo for who he is and where he is coming from, thankGod for his good friend, Grace is really needed., well done, sir

Simple, precise and short summary of lessons learnt. I love that smiley
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2016
Episode 19

Tayo couldn’t return with us. When I greeted his dad, he didn’t say much to me but Tayo had told me he had to see his mom, and so he wouldn’t be journeying back with us. He would come later in the day if he could still make it, or wait till the next day. ‘After finding out that I’d known earlier, did Tayo’s father still trust me?’ I wondered. As soon as we got back on the road, I wanted to spill all the questions in me but I had to start from somewhere.

“How did it go in there?” I asked.

“It went as expected.” Mrs Okafor answered, knowing I would want to ask more.

“What does that mean? Fine?”

“Obviously. It was fine. At least, you didn’t see us running out of his office with our shoes in our hands.” We all burst into a roar of laughter. “But seriously,” she continued, “His dad was heavily disappointed in him. He didn’t know when a tear began to roll down his cheek.”

“Really? But, what and how exactly did you tell him?” I made my curiosity known.

“To start with, he knew I was coming.”

“How?” I was puzzled. “Did Tayo call him before you got there?”

“I doubt that. He couldn’t have had the courage to do that. When I got to the secretary’s office, I asked to see the pastor. The woman behind the desk asked if I had an appointment and when I said no, she told me the pastor had been expecting me. When I met the pastor, I introduced myself as a youth counsellor in a neighbouring state and asked him why his secretary said he’d been expecting me.”

She went further to say how the pastor said the spirit of God had informed him that he would be having a visitor other than one of his regular members, but had kept other details from him. The pastor was eager to hear what she had to say. She said she told him Tolani’s side of the story, how she committed immorality with a young man, got pregnant, planned to abort the pregnancy, but changed her mind after coming to her for counselling.

The pastor was excited and had commended her effort. He’d also asked if the lady in question needed further spiritual help, and that he would be willing give it in any way he could. It was then she told him that it was the young man involved who needed help at the moment, not the lady. She told him the boy said he had repented of his sin and was forgiven by God, but didn’t know how to tell his parents or secure their forgiveness. Pastor Adekunle, still unsuspecting, had volunteered to help the young man; he’d thought the boy’s parents were members of his church and that it wouldn’t be difficult to plead with them on behalf of their son. “If God has forgiven the offender, who’s man not to forgive?” She said, quoting the pastor.

She’d asked if she could call the boy in. The pastor had agreed, and that was when she called Tayo to come join her. When Pastor Adekunle saw Tayo through the transparent wall, he couldn’t believe his eyes. He had asked Mrs Okafor if that was a coincidence or that was the person she just called. On receiving confirmation that it was Tayo they were expecting, it hit him as a big blow.

As Tayo joined them in the office, he’d quickly prostrated and started begging for forgiveness. Mrs Okafor had sat there watching how the pastor would react when he discovered that he had bound himself with his own words. He couldn’t say anything for seconds until he sniffed and bowed his head to hide the tear that was rolling down his cheek.

She had excuse herself from them for some minutes so they could have the father-son talk. She hadn’t heard what they talked about but she could see from the other side that he ranted for some minutes while Tayo remained prostrate on the floor. At a point, Tayo had knelt down while he seemed to be explaining things to his father, then prostrated again and started pleading. Later, Pastor Adekunle had opened the door and called her back inside.

He’d thanked her very much and asked for an opportunity to meet the lady as soon as possible. And then, other things followed.

“That was a great feat you performed, I must say.” I commented when she was done. “In a nutshell, he had to take his own counsel.”

“Yes.” Mrs Okafor replied. “I actually saw that coming.”

“As a professional counsellor,” I asked, “have you ever been in a situation where you have had to take your own counsel to others?”

“All the time, my dear. All the time. Just this week I had to do that. When I had the accident and lost my unborn child, I thought of what counsel I would have given if it had happened to someone other than me, then I took the counsel. It’s hard and painful at times, but over the years I have trained myself to do that. If it wouldn’t work for me, then I shouldn’t expect it to work for others.”

“That is impressive.” Debby said.

“And instructive.” I added. I’d just learnt an important lesson that I wasn’t going to forget anytime soon.

By then, we were already approaching the bus stop where I was to board a cab to my hostel. I alighted at the stop and waved them goodbye. Tayo’s parents came the evening of the next day to meet Tolani. They promised to take full responsibility of her care and the baby’s. Mrs Okafor said she’s decided to do that already, yet they insisted.

The following week, Tolani was delivered of a bouncing baby boy. The child was christened Benjamin Boluwatife Adekunle. Tolani remained in the Okafors’ apartment where Tayo paid her occasional visits.

Tayo became regular in church again. Our friendship was renewed, I was an ‘uncle’, Tayo was now a father and life continued. I was glad that everything had returned back to normal … until Tayo and I fell in love with the same person.

It Continues still...

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-19/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
Anyone still following atall sad
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by CuteChiluv: 4:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
I anm following ooo see me at your back, hot seat activated, fell in love with the same person, hmmmmm,,,,,,

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
CuteChiluv:
I anm following ooo see me at your back, hot seat activated, fell in love with the same person, hmmmmm,,,,,,

Thanks for the encouragement. Now let's continue!

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 4:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
Episode 20

Months after Ben’s delivery, I noticed that Tayo had soon relapsed back into his depression. I confronted him with my observation and demanded an explanation. “Your greatest fear is over. Your parents have not disowned you. Tolani is fine, and so in Benjamin. What then is your problem?”

“I’m fine, Femi. It’s nothing serious. I’ll get over it.”

“What are you getting over? Is anything wrong, again? And, please don’t tell me there is another Tolani somewhere.” I said, half-joking, half-serious.

“Do you now see me as someone who sleeps around?” Tayo’s visage spoke displeasure. “Because I made a careless mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life, you now see me as a regular fornicator?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to insult you.” I moved closer and hugged him gently. “You are my brother, you know? Whatever bothers you, bothers me.”

“Not in this case, Femi. I need to deal with my own problems this time. I don’t want to keep nettling you with my headaches. You have your own life to worry about too. In fact, this is not something you can help me with in any way.” He replied, freeing himself from my embrace.

“I may not be able to help, but I can listen to you. Sometimes all you need to do to feel better is talk about it.” I persuaded him to open up till he did.

“It’s about my grades.” He cupped his face with his palms.

“Grades? What about them?” I knew Tayo to be a very brilliant chap. “You are one of the brightest brains I’ve ever known. What is going on?”

“They’re low. My internship report that was supposed to carry many points was a mess. The emotional trauma I was suffering then didn’t allow me to concentrate. I rushed the report, left out important details and submitted in haste because I wanted to get out from this environment and go far away. Even when I resumed for the new session, the days I locked myself up and didn’t attend lectures, I missed assignments and tests. I’m suffering the consequences now.”

I stood speechless for some seconds. He was right; I couldn’t help him with this. We weren’t even in the same field. “What are you going to do now?” That was the best I could say.

“I’ll try to make up for the lost points in this final semester. Though I may not be able to graduate with a first class, I will try to strengthen my current grade so that it won’t keep drowning.”

“Make sure you that. And, if there’s any way I can be of help, don’t hesitate to let me know.” We rounded off our talk while left for a meeting in the church.

During the days of Tayo’s exile, Sister Maria, the head usher and member of the Protocols Department used to ask after Tayo very often. After almost every service, she would come to me and ask if I’d heard any word from him. My usual answer was ‘No’, and I also encouraged her to keep praying for him. At a point, I started suspecting that something fishy might be going on but I brushed off the thought as quickly as I could. Was she not the head usher? And was it not her duty to know who was and wasn’t in church? Perhaps, she was just doing her Christian duty of being her brother’s keeper.

On a particular Sunday, I was expecting her to come and ask after him as usual. I had prepared an answer for her, and maybe a few interview questions too—like asking if she was asking out of goodwill or for personal purposes. And she did come indeed.

“Good morning, Pastor.” Two knocks came on the door that was already opened as Sister Maria peeped in. “That was a wonderful sermon, I must say. I was blessed.”

“Oh! Good morning, Sister Maria. I’m glad you were blessed.”

“I really was. I’ve never heard the parable of the sower expounded with such clarity before. And the prayer session, wow! I had to re-examine my heart to know what type of soil’s in there. God bless and keep you for us in Jesus’ name.”

“Amen.” I nodded in agreement as I quickly allowed my own message minister to me too.

“This is for today’s service. Someone’s name is still missing.” She handed me a hand-written attendance book. I gazed at the sheet, a little concerned about the figures at the moment, while mostly admiring the beautiful lettering with which she’d penned the report. Her comment was an indirect question. I had to think of an answer.

“Have you tried calling Brother Tayo? Because, I have tried reaching him several times, but hasn’t answered or returned any of my calls.” I said, forcing a smile.

“If he isn’t answering your calls, there’s no chance he’ll answer mine either. We’ll just keep praying for him.” It looked like she sensed an air of not wanting to talk about him with her, or whatever it was that was wrong with me, so she withdrew. Maybe she thought I’ve not tried hard enough, or that I knew more than I was telling her.

It was our conversation that Sunday that contributed to my decision to sit at Tayo’s door till he opened his door that Saturday morning. I didn’t want to face Maria with the same old tale. And thankfully, I didn’t have to because Tayo was back in church the following day. I’d kept an eye on them to see what would happen but I noticed they just greeted casually, talked briefly, and parted. I felt a breeze of relaxation blowing in my direction, yet I remained very watchful. I was convinced within myself that either of them had something up their sleeves.

As the weeks multiplied into months, little Ben started growing, his face becoming more like his father’s. Mrs Okafor had been taking care of Tolani and the baby as she promised. I’d gone there frequently while I was working on my dissertation. Mrs Okafor was very helpful. Of the cases I used during my research, Tolani was one of the patients whose cases proved very useful. She agreed that Mrs Okafor release the details of the therapy sessions she had with her, and that she would be willing to answer any further questions if I had any. A few others also gave their support, and the research was successful.

Tolani had some issues with her studies too. She missed a number of classes because she was too shy to go to school with a protruding belly when all her friends knew she wasn’t married. The fear of the looks, the mockeries, and the side talks troubled her. She eventually faced her fears early enough after some sessions with her counsellor, and she scaled through. It was though at first, but eventually her friends rallied round to support her academically, mostly out of pity. When she missed any lecture, there was someone willing to bring her the notes to copy, explain things to her, and help with her assignments. Being a brilliant student herself, she caught up fine.

Though, I’d not gone there for the past few months, as the final exams approached, I paid Mrs Okafor a visit. I needed some practical guide to solving some questions. Since we’re family now, I visited her at home. The moment I opened the door, I was greeted with a sight that made me both happy and shocked—happy to see Mrs Okafor was pregnant again, and shocked to see Tolani whom I hadn’t seen since the last time she drove us to Tayo’s dad’s office. All the times I’d gone there, I’d asked after her only once and I was told she travelled. I hadn’t asked any further to keep them from misinterpreting my actions. I had feelings for Maria already, and though I was still praying about it, I didn’t want them to think I was falling in love with Debby.

The moment I set my eyes on Debby, it was as if all the feelings I had for Maria disappeared. I cautioned myself quietly and tried to be as composed as possible. I knew I was going to have an emotional tough time there with Debby around, so I braced myself for any eventuality the moment I sat down.

To Be Continued

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/06/a-friend-in-need-episode-20/
Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by CuteChiluv: 4:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
I love the way Mrs O. approached the matter with femi's dad, and also the question Tayo asked Mrs O. " have you ever been in a situation where you have had to take your own counsel to others", and she replied, and in summary " if it wouldnt work for me, then i shouldnt expect it to work for other" , it really stroke me,,, learning alot, God bless you for bringing this wonderful work to us ,,more grace

1 Like

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by CuteChiluv: 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2016
I think there was a mixup with the names, @ tolani and debby, it was debby that drove them to meet Tayos father and not tolani, if i read well

3 Likes

Re: Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) by Olajhidey22(m): 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2016
CuteChiluv:
I love the way Mrs O. approached the matter with femi's dad, and also the question Tayo asked Mrs O. " have you ever been in a situation where you have had to take your own counsel to others", and she replied, and in summary " if it wouldnt work for me, then i shouldnt expect it to work for other" , it really stroke me,,, learning alot, God bless you for bringing this wonderful work to us ,,more grace

A big AMEN to that prayer...... Thanks for finding this worthwhile, and i'm more glad you are grabbing some lessons outta this and not just being entertained. Stay blessed smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sites To Download Free Ebooks. / Underlying Love (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / You're Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.