Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Java Game Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Game Programming (2350 Views)

Android Game Programming For Subway Surfers / Game Programming Tutorials ( Angry Birds, Pvz Etc ) / Tutorials On Game Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Game Programming by tiana85(f): 10:51am On Aug 29, 2009
where can someone learn this in nigeria
Re: Java Game Programming by dueal(m): 12:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
@tiana85. The question should be 'where can on learn game programming in nigeria'. The answer is if i'm up to date 'currently nowhere'. Cause on average, as a starter u'll have to take approx 4 yrs intense training to be on. The language used is not the bigger issue here but the general overview of wat's needed to make a game a game. U could follow up on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-276737.0.html . I promise to keep things exciting. WELCOME.
Re: Java Game Programming by femu(m): 12:34am On Aug 30, 2009
I beg to differ with the view expressed above. It will NOT take you 4 years to learn Java Game Programming and you can [b]DEFINITELY [/b]learn it in Nigeria .
There are different types of games built for different platforms requiring different skill-sets. But there are some common denominators all game developers must appreciate, a sense of Creativity, a Good Story line, Great Graphics, Animation, Sound e.t.c all of these must be done with the intention to captivate your intended audience.
When it comes to Java Game Programming a viable platform for development is mobile phones running the Symbian Operating System.
U can check these link http://tekxtremeonline.net/babbles/2009/08/29/programming-an-appetising-insight-for-beginners/#more-75 to find out why.
Listed below are what you need to kick-off developing games on the Java Platform(JME/JavaFX)

[list]
[li]A good grasp of the Java Programming Language.[/li]
[li]If you can learn JavaFX(makes game programming even simpler) better. Go to http://javafx.com [/li]
[li]Download the Netbeans IDE with the Java ME  and JavaFX  Plugins.(http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/index.html)[/li]
[li]Learn SVG and how to create SVG Graphics.[/li]
[li]Learn how to use Adobe Photoshop[/li]
[li]Download an animation Sound Bank.----you can call me for this[/li]
[li]Learn basics of animation, learn how the timeline works .You can play around with Swish or Adobe Flash Professional for a while. [/li]
[/list]

An advantage of writing games in JavaFX is that your games will be simple to create and device independent. What do I mean. Your game will work on any device that supports  Java. i.e. Mobile Phones, Computers, Web, Blu-ray devices like PlayStation 3 via BD-J
The same skill will allow you develop smart mobile  applications.
NOTE: there is more to know but u can kickoff with these titbits.

For further details you can call 08034209301 or femu_2001@yahoo.com.
Re: Java Game Programming by dueal(m): 7:15am On Aug 30, 2009
@femu. I counter differ your statement that it doesn't take at least 4yrs to become a game programmer. In fact your post counters your statement.
1.Consider the packages u have to learn 'to kick off' as u stated.
Assuming the aspirant knows java, he/she has never done game programming with any language so the truth is he'll/she'll have to learn the uncommon packages in java that favour game development. Learning those takes time.
2. The aspirant might be good at playing logic and bad at doing maths, fact is, a larger part of creating games has to do with how well u r in math cause u need for starts, trig, matrix ,and vectors. Learning that takes time.
3. What if the aspirant has never done graphics with a digital paint program and can only sketch stick figures. Bringing him/her to speed will take time too.
4. Say the aspirant is wanting to create 3d titles. He'll/she'll have to learn a 3d modeling package like Blender/3ds max/maya. Learning that will take time too.
5. What about collision, physics, sound sync, game engine development, e.t.c. Even as a pro in the other fields it still will take one time to put all these together.
The only way to program games that won't take that long is with Html and Javascript and that's only if u know both. I've done a card and Q&A game with it.
Like being a hacker doesn't just mean u have the tools to hack that's why u r one, so also being a game programmer doesn't just mean u have the tools to program games make u one. Also u forgot to state where in the country one can go to and learn game programming u only left your phone number. It takes time and that's the truth, we nigeria's alway want to assume we can get there by taking shortcuts that are non existent.
Re: Java Game Programming by femu(m): 12:07pm On Aug 30, 2009
@dueal i appreciate ur efforts on d forum so far on "Video" game programming but try and appreciate the perspective.
There are games for different platforms requiring different skillsets and approaches. Not everyone wants to develop on a console okay! asides that the emphasis these days on development is focus, simplicity and agility.that why we have smart tools and frameworks to guide us. i.e. In JavaScript, u have JQuery and other smarties that help get the job done without being a JavaScript Guru.
In the past one year Java has undergone a lot of transformations using JavaFX technology.
JavaFX has made it easier 2 create animations, sound effects e.t.c. it was designed with d beginners(people who might av pref for programming as against designing or vice versa) in mind hence it integrates seamlessly with Photoshop.
Also if u av used d Netbeans IDE with d Mobility plugin u will appreciate ow damn easy it's 2 start creating games in Java.
Also we must appreciate Flash and ActionScript a very formidable combination for writing games on devices that run Adobe Flashlite.
Even in console(PS, XBox e.t.c) development there are frameworks for rapid development.
The advantage of Java is that majority of the phones in the world run on Symbian and BlackBerry O.S.
lets allow the beginners appreciate the eco-system.
When i started experimenting with ActionScript gaming in 2003 i cudnt wait 2 create my own graphics i downloaded them i wanted to get things done, same with d sound. learning is actually life long but we can start 2day.
simple maths and reasoning is what a beginner needs for now for any programming NOT a 4 years before u can be useful blueprint.
I will be happy to put anyone thru learning Game programming on any of the following Platforms: Java/JME/JavaFX, Adobe FlashLite.
Re: Java Game Programming by mizbelle: 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2009
can some take a look at this code and help me out being battling with it last night

Re: Java Game Programming by NSoul: 1:57pm On Aug 30, 2009
I'd rather develop games with Blender's game engine, and port them via Python. I know both, so it's easier to work with if i decide to go into the field.
I might experiment abit with JavaFX, since i have the mobility pack and FX SDK on my NetBeans,
Re: Java Game Programming by mizbelle: 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2009
for starters u know u can look at my codes then we can see ur games later , can help u market it LMAo grin
Re: Java Game Programming by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2009
Game programming in 4 years?jeezzz !!! there are so many books out there that can equip you with that skill in more reasonable time. Try Java Game programming for Beginners!! Awesome book

(1) (Reply)

After Learning Programming What Next?? / How Can I Open A File With .dat.pgp : Please Help / Microsoft Access Database - Please Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.