Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:16 PM

The Average Nigerian’s Faulty Conception Of Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Average Nigerian’s Faulty Conception Of Music (295 Views)

All Of Music / Categories Of Music Artists In Nigeria / Get The Best Finish Of Music/video Promotion To Stardom At Affordable Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Average Nigerian’s Faulty Conception Of Music by macquis(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2016
After absorbing myself in Jon Bellion’s recent Album: The Human Condition, I felt I had achieved a heightened state of music consciousness. In my liberality I considered sharing one of the most impressive songs from the album with a Childhood friend of mine. One minute after playing the song from his phone I notice a frown on his face, a sure sign of discontent. He takes off his ear-phones slowly, turns to me and says “this song no sweet jare, e wohn make me sleep”. He immediately deletes the song from his phone.

In other words if a song lacks an African fast-tempo beat or fails to fall within the category of Dance-hall, then such a song is not worth listening to in Nigeria. A very faulty conception of music.
After carrying out an intensive study on the Nigerian music industry and songs that have topped the music chart in the last 10 yrs, I discovered that Dance-hall songs topped the list. All those Nigerian music artists who have expressed themselves through music genres other than Dance-hall have vanished into thin air.

Trying to solve the puzzle as to why 99 percent of Nigerians today fancied Dance-hall songs over other music genres led me to an article that explained the typical African’s music root and fascination with drums. It further explained how the sacred love of drums and use of the instrument in Africa by our ancestors is unprecedented by any other continent in the world. It is therefore logical to conclude that if our ancestors held the beats of drums sacred, and loved to dance to the beat of drums, then we of this generation being their offspring would act no different, for we bear their genes and their blood runs through our veins. This perfectly explains why the average Nigerian’s love for music strictly leans towards the Dance-hall genre and why Dance-hall artists are the only ones getting all the recognition, fame, accolades, and ambassadorship.

I guess the typical African cannot be seperated from his drums as a result of his roots but there needs to be a paradigmn shift in our conception of music. Music genres other than Dance-hall have to be accepted, promoted and given adequate recognition in Nigeria if our Music industry is ever going to reach the state of perfection and not one-sidedness.

Source:
http://blarckbillboard.

(1) (Reply)

New Music! Dave Fortune - Elevating | @i_amdavefortune / Get In Here / Contact Me If You Know How To Create A Music Blog,its Very Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.