Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Embracing The Gig-economy To Your Advantage 1 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Embracing The Gig-economy To Your Advantage 1 (436 Views)

How Gig Economy Impacting The Education And Careers Sector / How Gig Economy Is Helping College Grads In Learning New Skills / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Embracing The Gig-economy To Your Advantage 1 by williamadelegan(m): 9:26am On Jun 15, 2016
“Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re the lion or a gazelle-when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.”
We live in business age without precedent: where there exists greater opportunities than ever for people – young and old – device and start a venture and prove a success on their own terms.
Success remains the ultimate yardstick for whether an entrepreneur and his or her idea should be respected.
However, the internet has prompted a profound acceleration in the development, growth, success – and indeed, failure – of companies and concepts: a business model that once would have taken decades to develop, today can bear fruit in a matter of hours; an ill – thought – merger is now exposed as flawed within weeks.

This is due to the speed at which a business concept can be devised and implemented online by utilizing success of targeted digital marketing in funneling millions of potential customers towards new concept.
In short, while we still respect the current – day Dangote, who has had their mettle tested and have been proven winners, we have also come to admire the people who come up with the big idea. The internet age has prompted us to respect innovation – more so than in previous decades because it has allowed us to witness the development of a service or concept first – hand.
This is an extract my my book Internet Income Blueprint, the book is still very much available for download at no cost. you can download it here [url]Internet Income Blueprint [/websiteincomeformulars]

PARADIGM CHANGE

In order to excel in this age, knowledge worker must have a differentiation factor; what makes you unique and exceptional?

In a country like Nigeria where the percentage of Nigerians with College degree is growing at a rapid rate. In 2015 for example, the total numbers of Universities graduate outweigh the total number of secondary school graduate in 1990. College is now the new high school.

The world today is changing faster than the average graduate can catch up with. Hence, learning has become a lifetime commitment. You cannot confront today and tomorrow’s challenges with yesterday’s knowledge. What you need is to develop and sustain a posture for a renewing knowledge and to find creative ways to apply timeless information.

Today, technology is the language of performance and wealth, and the determinant of how we live daily. We are in the cutting edge of work today. Globalization is making it easy for workers in third world nations living millions of miles away without leaving their base to render services to other organization. As a matter of fact the traditional work setting is slowly losing its grip and giving birth to virtual world of work characterize by freelancers and virtual assistants.

True to Moore’s law, computer chip has continued to double in power every eighteen month with little no significant increase in cost.

Few years ago, after a new governor of a particular state in Nigeria was elected, he promised he was going to employ 10,000 youth. On that note, free application forms were made available across the whole local government of the state. One of those evenings my phone rang and I received a call that I’ve been recommended to build an application that will enable them automate all the forms from all these numerous applicants. Since I was just resuming my final year in school then, I had to first get done with some school work, on that note, someone else did the design and I have to join the other team for data entry.

The experience turned my life around when I realised that that though the governor emphasize that the highest qualification needed from all applicants is NCE, over 95% of the applicants were all University graduates. Subsequently I was saddled with the responsibility of compiling all the data from all organizations involved in this automation process.

I was astonished in disbelief when I found out that though the governor made it clear that he was only going to employ 10,000 youth of which, the total number of applications I analyze were over 150,000.

Another gloomy part of the scheme was when it was time to choose some few ones for employment purpose, commissioners were involved to pick from different local government on a man-know-man agenda for a job that’s going to pay less than the minimum wage.

“The same still applies today when over 900,000 applicants were recorded by the Nigeria Police Force seeking to engage the services of only 10,000 personnel”.

At the conclusion of the project, my team director told me I have been offered a job with the government to continually manage the data among other responsibilities, this job come with a salary of over a $1,000, but since I was still a student, there was no way I could accept the offer, hence I was requested to recommend someone who am sure will not only perform at my level but also outperform me.

Unfortunately, I lost that opportunity because nevertheless that there were so many unemployed graduates around me; there was none skillful enough to take up that responsibility.

About 13 months after, my team director who was now at that time pursuing his Master degree in the U.K reached out to me on how I could handle some jobs from the U.K, it’s called outsourcing. Within a short time, the U.K Company issued me an employment letter and very quickly, jobs were sent across to me via mail and I got them delivered under the supervision of my team director. You want to ask what my job description was; I was offer a job as a web designer and I must confess that job pays me over 120% of my salary then, working less than 8 hours weekly.

It brings to mind indeed that in a flat world, anything is possible, breakfast in Dubai, Lunch in U.K, dinner in Australia….. Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Network Marketing As A Career / Learn New Skills: Courses In Qlikview, Tableau, Microsoft Power BI And More / Discover The Possibilities Of Business Intelligence & Analytics!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.