Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers (12147 Views)

7 Truths About SEO That You Wont Be Told Anywhere Else / 7 Funny Things About BLOGGING. / 5 Hot Niches Nigerian Bloggers Underrate -Techinfo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 1:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
Everyone and their dogs are creating blogs everyday. Yes, that's because blogging can be very lucrative. After all, Linda Ikeji, Uche Pedro, and several others are proofs to that effect.

But with the rate at which everyone is hopping onto the bandwagon of blogging, one might start to get worried about competition and all that. My friend, the truth is there are much fewer successful blogs than useless ones that will never make a dime. So, the blogosphere might seem saturated, but there's always room for new entrants to turn blogging into a business if they play their cards right.

Here in Nigeria, we have several thousands of people who claim to be bloggers, but the truth is only few of these people really make decent income online. Majority of blogs run by Nigerians are either struggling or outright failures. So, there's no fierce competition! Unless you think competition entails running a race with failed ventures.

Now, let's talk about how to become a successful blogger in Nigeria.

You've probably been told that all you need to do to start making money from blogging is to create a free blog, copy interesting articles from other blogs (or probably formulate lies and false news), slap up Adsense ads, and sit back to watch your bank account grow fatter. My friend, that's bullshi.t.

Now, let me ask you this: If you already read an interesting news update on Linda Ikeji's blog or Vanguard newspaper's website, would you still go ahead to click on the link to the same news posted by one unknown blogger? No, you won't! That explains why copy-and-paste blogging is one of the best ways in the world to waste your precious time.

And it drives me crazy when anyone tells me he/she wants to start an entertainment/celebrity gist blog. For crying out loud, that's one of the niches where it's hardest to be creative, and to attract an audience. I'm not saying you can't build a successful entertainment blog now, but it's far more difficult than what obtains in other niches.

So, your first step towards becoming a successful blogger in Nigeria is to find a niche that allows for expression of creativity. One that you're passionate and knowledgeable about. And most importantly, one that Nigerians (or others outside) are searching the web for information on.

I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee.

So, the most important factor to consider when choosing a topic to blog about, to me, is not interest or passion. It's a market for that topic! Although interest and passion are equally important, an impressive number of online followership of that topic is more important because that's what determines how much money you'll make. Well, the financial worth of your target audience is also something worth considering.

Yes, virtually every Nigerian is interested about entertainment and celebrity gist. And they search Google for information regarding celebs and others. But entertainment isn't the only lucrative niche. Others include job search/careers, visa acquisition tips, education-related information, and lots more (see here].

I still have a lot to teach as far as blogging in Nigeria is concerned. But let me stop here for now. I'll be back to continue.

PS. Pardon any typographical, grammatical, or style errors you see in this piece. I typed this quickly and didn't bother to edit.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by macloaded: 11:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Thats actually true. You need to consider the available audience for your chosen niche before jumping into starting a blog. Concerning the Entertainment blog, i think its those that have enough money to promote it that are succeeding int it because the blog becomes popular in a very short period of time and before you know it, they start getting Private advertisers.

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Kensharval(m): 5:58am On Jun 16, 2016
Nice one there bro. I'm now following you.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Talkloaded: 6:46am On Jun 16, 2016
My Man, you are on point.

The way entertainment/ celebrity bloggers tak full Naija no be here. I used to be one of them.

But I decided to change my Niche to Inspiration/ Motivational / Tech Blog.

Now God is blessing me wella.

Reportinq from talk loaded. Net

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by yomalex(m): 6:47am On Jun 16, 2016
Okay
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by henrydadon(m): 6:47am On Jun 16, 2016
smiley op I agree with you with what about creating a niche for your self..most of this so called entertainment blog just post the same news all over again..check out Naijasinglegirl blog..her blog is successful today because she never join the bad wagon.she different..she found her own style of blogging..she created her own original articles or story..even though most of her story might be fictitious and over exaggerated..people still find her her funny and keep coiming back for more..and very soon by God grace I see her becoming very big in the nearest future wink

3 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 16, 2016
Good article.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by dadafe(f): 6:47am On Jun 16, 2016
Truth is, it's never easy
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by gidimasters(m): 6:48am On Jun 16, 2016
Abeg Check My Signature
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Lifehack: 6:49am On Jun 16, 2016
Watch how to apply for Npower programe for employment of 500,000 Nigerians

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYk_CMcZD4M[/flash]

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Endougs(m): 6:54am On Jun 16, 2016
True talk
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by maximunimpact(m): 6:55am On Jun 16, 2016
here we go again....... internet expertrates

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by mbaeke1(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2016
Will love to learn either forex trading or blogging, which is better? If possible the two, will need somebody that will put me through. Thanks
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by realGURU(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2016
@ webincomeplus, "I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee."
this part u said got me shaking my head in disbelief. If blog like www.physicslectures.info can have such huge traffics in less than six month[ i check from the blog archive] i doubt ur statement. Infact am copying that physics blop but my niche will be biology. See what blog expert said about niche blogging and stop misleading people https://www.nairaland.com/3121336/profitable-blogging-niche

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by sped1oro(m): 6:59am On Jun 16, 2016
You are spot on with this piece. Many of the so called bloggers only copy and paste articles, write-ups from other websites and blogs instead of being creative themselves. I belong to a forum on Facebook, Bloggers Helping Bloggers, I shared my experience with the group and informed them that I had made over 2.5m income from one of my blogs and some pessimistic fellows do not understand how I did it. Though my blog is not popular but I get targeted traffic who pays for the services I offered. With www.hollalaycan.com I have set up nylon factories for some clients and receive my consultancy fees in hundreds of thousands. So it's not about being popular or adsense but being paid for what you offer with your blog.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by iamord(m): 6:59am On Jun 16, 2016
How valuable is the niche architecture and tourism.. What what's their cpc.??
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Whizzcute(m): 7:00am On Jun 16, 2016
The bitter truth
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Ajusshi: 7:00am On Jun 16, 2016
angry
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by GoldenJAT(m): 7:00am On Jun 16, 2016
it all boils down to passion, perseverance and never say die attitude.. if all these things mentioned above are lacking, then one's ambition as a blogger is over even before it gets started... as we all know, Rome wasn't build in a day... the Linda ikeji we are hearing of 2day probably started from somewhere and here she is 2day.. alot of people wanna hit it big at d very 1st time of trying... without knowing there is always a starting point... if it doesn't start paying now.. it will eventually, if d right machinery is put in place... GOOD MORNING NAIRALANDERS.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by ORI1(m): 7:01am On Jun 16, 2016
True talk OP, Fakers is what most of these bloggers are.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:02am On Jun 16, 2016
macloaded:
Thats actually true. You need to consider the available audience for your chosen niche before jumping into starting a blog. Concerning the Entertainment blog, i think its those that have enough money to promote it that are succeeding int it because the blog becomes popular in a very short period of time and before you know it, they start getting Private advertisers.

Thats it

Blogging is not for Kids
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by babarazy: 7:02am On Jun 16, 2016
Nice info op. But, are you a successful blogger?

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by VocalWalls: 7:03am On Jun 16, 2016
The truth about blogging? And you only wrote about entertainment niche?

You should have just gone in for those in that niche than write like you're addressing bloggers generally.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:03am On Jun 16, 2016
GoldenJAT:
it all boils down to passion, perseverance and never say die attitude.. if all these things mentioned above are lacking, then one's ambition as a blogger is over even before it gets started... as we all know, Rome wasn't build in a day... the Linda ikeji we are hearing of 2day probably started from somewhere and here she is 2day.. alot of people wanna hit it big at d very 1st time of trying... without knowing there is always a starting point... if it doesn't start paying now.. it will eventually, if d right machinery is put in place... GOOD MORNING NAIRALANDERS.

Thank you
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by ybnlphyno: 7:05am On Jun 16, 2016
I can get your site approved for Google AdSense *note* USA AdSense non verified for a small fee contact me if interested 08132909269
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Tolzeal(m): 7:06am On Jun 16, 2016
Dude... you speal the right shiit
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by AnodaIT(m): 7:09am On Jun 16, 2016
Like you affirmed, I strongly believe that there is no competition in blogging in Nigeria, the gists boys are coming and going everyday cos they don't have quality information.

In a country of over 150m people and over 20m smartphones, someone does a birthday party and you see the same set of pix in hundreds of blogs.

But Nigerians are extremists (yeah they like to occupy the far end of the pole), there are the gists boys on one end doing copy and paste, fabricating stories and recycling junk pix from 5 years back while on the other extreme the naijasinglegirl pride herself with writing original stories ONLY (it can be boring) .

My ideal blog would be one that has a decent mix of the two, one that has good quality one oneor two trendy/interesting gists everyday while I still hungrily expect an original juicy story in between
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by babyfaceafrica: 7:11am On Jun 16, 2016
K
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by sped1oro(m): 7:12am On Jun 16, 2016
I am ready to show anyone interested in blogging how to make money from your blog apart from adsense and private adverts.
You can give me a call at 08170327317 for details.
www.hollalaycan.com
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by DJBIGGY(m): 7:14am On Jun 16, 2016
forget all that yans.... u can still be an entertainment blogger and be successfully any day. problem is that Nigerians are messed up lazy and want the easy way out. what stops a health blogger from copy issues from health sites and claim they wrote it.

there are a thousand and one product in the open market and online market. what make you unique us content, content, and still content.

if Nigerians can learn to be innovative, blogging can still take over as the best entrepreneurial business one can. offer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 16, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Good
Good article.
I'm allergic to blogs, wouldn't waste a click on them especially if it's a celebrity blog. Their life, their headache.

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by frankmoney(m): 7:23am On Jun 16, 2016
Following

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Classic Ways To Make Money From Blogging / How I Increased My Website Traffic To 1000 Unique Visitors Daily / What Are The Best Nigerian Forums?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.