Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I (77766 Views)

What Happened To The Naira Swap / Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Good News. The Naira Is Now 245 To $1. See Inside! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Max24: 7:51pm On Jun 15, 2016
AreaFada2:
When Buhari stops using dozens of SAN to fight his certificate fraud case in court and simply present it, we can let him talk about corruption. Until then he is one big scam and hypocrite.
Even if Buhari does not have certificate how does that offence equals that of a looter ? Is it his certificate that will build roads, hospitals, schools and other social infrastructure ? All the other Presidents we av had that have certificate what had been their impact on us ? What was the impact of Jonathan's PhD certificate upon our lives. Upon all of Jonathans PhD the British
Prime Minister said Nigeria is fantastically corrupt.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:52pm On Jun 15, 2016
Shym3xx:

You did selective reading (albeit ya conclusion is also wrong) but didn't read this except from the end of page 4 and beginning of page 5:

This flexibility (floating), however, usually comes at the cost of some loss in credibility and, thus, tends to be associated (on average) with higher inflation. Alternatively, fixed exchange rates reduce the degree of flexibility of the system but impart (in theory) a higher degree of credibility to policy making. Since the public believes that, under fixed rates, the primary goal of monetary policy is 5 to preserve the exchange rate parity, they moderate their wage and price expectations, thus allowing the economy to attain a lower rate of inflation.

^^^The key point there is inflation.

If you read further, page 5, that theory does not work.

This, of course, is an oversimplification. In fact, as history has shown again and again, fixed exchange rates often fail to impose macroeconomic discipline and end up in major devaluation crises

From my brief study, a floating exchange rate is flexible enough to deal with shocks that would increase the inflation rate.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Shym3xx: 8:01pm On Jun 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If you read further, page 5, that theory does not work.

This, of course, is an oversimplification. In fact, as history has shown again and again, fixed exchange rates often fail to impose macroeconomic discipline and end up in major devaluation crises

From my brief study, a floating exchange rate is flexible enough to deal with shocks that would increase the inflation rate.

You don't learn by reading one line in a certain context, then center your argument on it - without reading the whole research paper. Read the whole paper: it explained fixed exchanged rates, managed float, and free float. Once you do that, you'll have a better understanding. Reading an excerpt and forming half-baked argument based on it, is a lousy way to learn.

Once you read the whole research paper with the examples used as case studies, you'll understand why it's arguably only two countries that are practising the full pure/free floating policy the CBN just announced. And these are advanced countries. Emerging economies run from it.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by tiwiex(m): 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
Image123:

Sure, I stand by whatever i said. All was done in the best interest of the country and to plug and block the leakages of a seriously bleeding country. When there's trouble, you TROUBLEshoot until you arrive at a good place. The new plan is not the destination by the way, it is a when all else fails policy IMHO. It is not a magic wand that sweeps away all our economic woes. Buharinomics is still very much on point compared to what obtained previously. That one where FG borrowed and looted with impunity, where the coordinate minister confessed to high blood pressure and incessant headache. I'll choose Buharinomics a thousand times. The man is not as rigid or bigoted as painted, this picture is clearer by the day.

I don't think Buhari has any economic plan. The drop in naira was expected with the capital control. it was a futile effort. It didn't require an experiment to do what CBN just did. The demand and available supply already spelt the situation. So why delay the evil day and suffer while at it? Like I said, Buhari will deliver not because he knows what to do but because reality eventually leaves him with no choice. We didn't need to get to this point on FX and definitely not with the Niger Delta. CBN made the announcement 3 weeks ago but just released the modalities today. They were clearly not ready and just started work on it. Please help Nigerians beg him to slow down on his ego for the sake of the country. Let the advisers take charge. That is why they were appointed. Good move at last but Buharinomics just means trial and error without a need for the trial due to available expert advise.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 989900: 8:13pm On Jun 15, 2016
What we have is not a pure free float. The CBN will intervene from time to time, Emefiele said.

Although the detailed framework and operational guidelines of the market will be released to the public immediately after this Press Briefing, permit me to highlight its key aspects:

The market shall operate as a single market structure through the inter-bank/autonomous window;

The Exchange Rate would be purely market-driven using the Thomson-Reuters Order Matching System as well as the Conversational Dealing Book;

The CBN would participate in the Market through periodic interventions to either buy or sell FX as the need arises;

To improve the dynamics of the market, we will introduce FX Primary Dealers (FXPD) who would be registered by the CBN to deal directly with the Bank for large trade sizes on a two-way quotes basis; . . .

The above is what you could refer to as 'dirty float'/'controlled float'/'managed float' system . . . only few countries i.e Canada, Switzerland, and some very few others, practice the 'clean float' system in the real sense of it.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by StepTwo: 8:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:
For those wondering what it means, follow @tunjiandrews on Twitter. He's a smart and objective Economist who analyses Nigerian economy on the radio. And he and other economists are all saying this is a good decision. Even some economists who are totally against Buhari are for this policy. One even said that this was what should have been done since last year.

From all indications, this is a good policy. It will apparently break the hoarding and speculation. And most people didn't see it coming (they assumed CBN couldn't keep fighting).

Basically, if you're hoarding dollars to speculate in the hopes of reaping a windfall, better go and dump them now. Because dollar will be open for competition.

aunty, abeg no vex. I be Agric/Environmental Engineer.

abeg, dis floating of a thing, is it going to affect orices of goods or its just all about d dollar or rather d exchange rate?
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Shym3xx: 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2016
This is from the first line of the news posted on the first page:

The Central Bank Governor has just announced a full float of the Naira in a press conference in Abuja. The CBN Governor informed a stunned audience that the exchange rate will be market determined and that the CBN will also participate in the market occasionally.

^^^Even if you have acute glaucoma, if you can see "float", you should be able to see the "full". Full float = free/pure float.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

abeg, dis floating of a thing, is it going to affect orices of goods or its just all about d dollar or rather d exchange rate?

Oyingold posted a nice report from Nairametrics. This in a nutshell is what we should expect.

In other countries where a full float was launched, the value of the currency of the home country did plummet woefully before it found its level. However, the rates between the interbank market and the parallel market did narrow which we expect will also replicate in Nigeria.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by chrisnero(m): 8:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
In the words of Ifeanyi uba, the govenor of CBN and minster for finance is applying academic economics instead of Pratical economics. The governor said" the have a enough reverse to play in the market that is probably €26billion as qouted by shararepoters. With the new policy, there will be rush for dollar which will increase the price because the new price will be determined by the market force as he said.. when the demand is high,the price will increase. We have the issue of militancy in the Niger delta region which constitute more than 70% of our reserve, now tell me, when the €26billion goes down due to rush,how can we replenish our reserve? Try and error is all I see in this policy

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Erifenz: 8:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
This is the best policy so far from cbn

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:27pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

The drop in our currency value is due to the scarcity of dollars this will cause. However, it will stabilize as soon as dollars come in due to the demand for it and the liquidity of the market.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Erifenz: 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Good policy from cbn so far
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Onegai(f): 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

The exchange rate affects everything in Nigeria, because we import 90% of what we use everyday in the country. Because dollar hiked and fuel increased and some other factors came in, everyone increased their prices of what they were selling. Manufacturers could no longer import their raw materials so they too increased prices. This policy apparently will stop greedy people from artificially causing currency speculation (because banks will tell you they don't have dollar to sell you to transact your business but meanwhile they had sold it to BDC operators to make profit).

But will prices of things come down? Yes, in the long run. Because everyone will know that dollar has season to buy high or buy low. And everyone that needs it can then plan accordingly. So no more rushing helter-skelter for availability.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
chrisnero:
In the words of Ifeanyi uba, the govenor of CBN and minster for finance is applying academic economics instead of Pratical economics. The governor said" the have a enough reverse to play in the market that is probably €26billion as qouted by shararepoters. With the new policy, there will be rush for dollar which will increase the price because the new price will be determined by the market force as he said.. when the demand is high,the price will increase. We have the issue of militancy in the Niger delta region which constitute more than 70% of our reserve, now tell me, when the €26billion goes down due to rush,how can we replenish our reserve? Try and error is all I see in this policy

This is not trial and error. Fixed/Pegged exchange rates led to financial crises repeatedly. Sticking to it will cause more harm.

I disagree with Ifeanyi Uba and I agree with the policy.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Image123(m): 8:43pm On Jun 15, 2016
tiwiex:

I don't think Buhari has any economic plan. The drop in naira was expected with the capital control. it was a futile effort. It didn't require an experiment to do what CBN just did. The demand and available supply already spelt the situation. So why delay the evil day and suffer while at it? Like I said, Buhari will deliver not because he knows what to do but because reality eventually leaves him with no choice. We didn't need to get to this point on FX and definitely not with the Niger Delta. CBN made the announcement 3 weeks ago but just released the modalities today. They were clearly not ready and just started work on it. Please help Nigerians beg him to slow down on his ego for the sake of the country. Let the advisers take charge. That is why they were appointed. Good move at last but Buharinomics just means trial and error without a need for the trial due to available expert advise.

There's nothing so good or great about the move. It's devaluation of the naira in other words. He tried as much as possible to avoid devaluing the naira. There is no gain there. It is like a patient or doctor doing all things possible to avoid an amputation or a tough surgery. It's a last option thing for him.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by blackprowler: 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
joseph1013:
After crashing the economy with his stubbornness, Buhari goes back to his vomit and does the same thing he swore not to do, both on local and international media.

May we not be cursed with leaders whose egos are bigger than their love of the common good of the masses.

Thank you very much my dear brother. You're absolutely spot-on in my books and I already said it on my own too. Anyone who wants to be so stubborn must be a very VEERY knowledgeable person who knows more than others and is seeing something the rest may not be seeing. Not this Buhari. Running a country democratically is very different from obstinately ordering your troops to their deaths in a war. Much damage has already happened. I don't know what can be salvaged now

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by AreaFada2: 8:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Max24:

Even if Buhari does not have certificate how does that offence equals that of a looter ? Is it his certificate that will build roads, hospitals, schools and other social infrastructure ? All the other Presidents we av had that have certificate what had been their impact on us ? What was the impact of Jonathan's PhD certificate upon our lives. Upon all of Jonathans PhD the British
Prime Minister said Nigeria is fantastically corrupt.

Well, let Buhari first return the 4 billion traced to Midland Bank in London in the 1970s. Then we can compare who looted more. Mind you, 4b plus was about 4 billion plus £ at that time too.

Cameron said so because he probably has evidence right from that same 1970s, Shagari's govt, IBB govt ($12.4 billion gulf war oil windfall), the billions returned from Abacha loot, $16 billion infrastructure money missing from OBJ's time, etc. Some of us have been around long enough to have witnessed many events in Nigeria's history.

Even the oil executive pastor defending Buhari before the queen still has his eyes on oil. Afterall Buhari is minister of oil.
You must be another pedestrian tribal bigot to believe Cameron was referring to GEJ govt alone.

Looting or no looting, at least GEJ built 16 new fed universities, brought railway back, Agric boom, roads better, airports better, we became Africa's biggest economy, I had 16 to 18 hours of light, I bought a bag of rice for N9,000, petrol under 100 Naira, etc. GEJ did not build a private university for himself, unlike OBJ & Atiku who built own university apiece while in power.

So, the two-faced cowardice and bigotry of certain people in Nigeria is well-known. cool
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by StepTwo: 9:13pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:

The exchange rate affects everything in Nigeria, because we import 90% of what we use everyday in the country. Because dollar hiked and fuel increased and some other factors came in, everyone increased their prices of what they were selling. Manufacturers could no longer import their raw materials so they too increased prices. This policy apparently will stop greedy people from artificially causing currency speculation (because banks will tell you they don't have dollar to sell you to transact your business but meanwhile they had sold it to BDC operators to make profit).

But will prices of things come down? Yes, in the long run. Because everyone will know that dollar has season to buy high or buy low. And everyone that needs it can then plan accordingly. So no more rushing helter-skelter for availability.

@ TheGoodJoe

does this mean with d floating thing, the prices can only come down if the dollar irself falls to d naira?

forgive my economic naivity.
yes, i am an economic dummy.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guyman02:

The East (Cyrenaica) feel that the West is backing western Libya since the murder of Gaddafi to subjugate them. The first tranche of $700m worth of Dinar printed in UK for Libya Central Bank did not get to them in the amount they expected and therefore decided to print their own currency and they feel that since the oil is in their area they should control it.

What they have done is to align themselves with Russia who can protect them at the UNSC from western attempts to invade them. But as at today America is dropping bombs on the East under the guise of fighting ISIS in Libya but in actually fact they are helping their stooge in Tripoli to expand their territory. its a divide and rule tactics and has nothing to do with Freedom and Democracy.

Now the East has started to ship OIL while Britain has proposed a draft resolution at the UN to enable Nato warships search for weapons in the Mediterranean sea; this is a ploy to prevent ships from the East shipping oil out of Libya. So the Chinese are coming with their ships to lift crude and will not allow Nato to board their vessels.

Imagine!! These lunatics have decided not to use their mother-lands as battle ground but to use foreign lands where they can launch their newly manufactured weapons and test their military might.

Shame!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by Onegai(f): 9:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

@ TheGoodJoe

does this mean with d floating thing, the prices can only come down if the dollar irself falls to d naira?

Long explanation coming up:

You are a landlord who buys land in Lekki phase 1 and builds a block of flats there. You promptly make the price N250,000 because you want to sell instantly and get money. But is that the true value of that house? No. That is what CBN was doing fixing a bank rate of N199.

Your Lekki neighbours are pissed off (they know how much it should be) and punish you by constantly defacing your property, making you spend money to maintain it. And that cycle is getting expensive. That is what CBN was doing using our reserves to strengthen the Naira.

So you hire an agent and tell him you want to rent your building instead and he should show it around and see how much renters are willing to pay. You know that they will pick a value cheaper than the rest of your neighbours but more expensive than your selling price (simply because everyone will be rushing it, making your building more profitable). That is a Floating currency.

Now, you will keep making money as long as you maintain the place. For Nigeria, that means we have to encourage people who have foreign currency to need to buy Naira. In other words, we must be selling something attractive, manufacturing and exporting rather than importing. So that those doing so will be paid in dollars and since they live in Naija, must change those dollars to Naira and there will be enough dollar in the system and those who (genuinely) need to import will get them cheaper and goods will be more affordable since we have a good balance of trade.

Nigeria imports 90% of everything we consume (stvpidly) but exported only crude oil and crude oil prices fell and our economy deflated. But now, those guys exporting Agriculture or Leather Hides or any made in Nigeria goods will be paid according to what the Naira is and will change it and put more Dollar in seculation. So that people importing medical equipment can do so cheaply. And prices of goods will stabilise. Not fall drastically but won't be hyper-inflated.

Let us know how much the Naira is truly worth. But this policy is a long-term policy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by grandstar(m): 9:47pm On Jun 15, 2016
The naira will hit 260-265 within a month at the official and black market.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:51pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

@ TheGoodJoe

This floating exchange rate is more of reducing the rate at which the price of goods and services go up in recent times.

This policy is to reduce that. I do not know much about if it leads to reduced cost of good and services. It is more of reducing the rapid growth of prices.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by vikaosi: 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
What happened to the Chinese Yuan deal? Thought by now Yuan would be floating everywhere. Govt should be more open with its citizens.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

@ TheGoodJoe

So demand and Supply of good and services locally can play a role in price of goods. This floating exchange rate reduces bread getting more expensive because dollar exchange rate went up.

Other things like competition, availability of goods can drive down the price of goods and services.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by StepTwo: 10:05pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:

Long explanation coming up:

You are a landlord who buys land in Lekki phase 1 and builds a block of flats there. You promptly make the price N250,000 because you want to sell instantly and get money. But is that the true value of that house? No. That is what CBN was doing fixing a bank rate of N199.

Your Lekki neighbours are pissed off (they know how much it should be) and punish you by constantly defacing your property, making you spend money to maintain it. And that cycle is getting expensive. That is what CBN was doing using our reserves to strengthen the Naira.

So you hire an agent and tell him you want to rent your building instead and he should show it around and see how much renters are willing to pay. You know that they will pick a value cheaper than the rest of your neighbours but more expensive than your selling price (simply because everyone will be rushing it, making your building more profitable). That is a Floating currency.

Now, you will keep making money as long as you maintain the place. For Nigeria, that means we have to encourage people who have foreign currency to need to buy Naira. In other words, we must be selling something attractive, manufacturing and exporting rather than importing. So that those doing so will be paid in dollars and since they live in Naija, must change those dollars to Naira and there will be enough dollar in the system and those who (genuinely) need to import will get them cheaper and goods will be more affordable since we have a good balance of trade.

Nigeria imports 90% of everything we consume (stvpidly) but exported only crude oil and crude oil prices fell and our economy deflated. But now, those guys exporting Agriculture or Leather Hides or any made in Nigeria goods will be paid according to what the Naira is and will change it and put more Dollar in seculation. So that people importing medical equipment can do so cheaply. And prices of goods will stabilise. Not fall drastically but won't be hyper-inflated.

Let us know how much the Naira is truly worth. But this policy is a long-term policy.

okay.

so that is like saying it will be more effective if we can match up export with import?

or rather do more of exporting than importing?

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by StepTwo: 10:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

This floating exchange rate is more of reducing the rate at which the price of goods and services go up in recent times.

This policy is to reduce that. I do not know much about if it leads to reduced cost of good and services. It is more of reducing the rapid growth of prices.

which means for existing prices to go down other factors needs to come in?

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
StepTwo:

which means for existing prices to go down other factors needs to come in?

Exactly. You are on point.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by COMPAQ(m): 11:10pm On Jun 15, 2016
What I need is someone who works in treasury of any bank in Nigeria to tell us at what rate the market is likely to open at on Monday.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by outflank: 11:31pm On Jun 15, 2016
Maxymilliano:
Trial and error governance ...
You just had to say that before me. Excellently true.
Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by StepTwo: 11:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Exactly. You are on point.
oh!
i was rather too expectant.
thanks for your time

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 14(m): 12:05am On Jun 16, 2016
Lets start here, the current rate which is N200 to $1 is not the true value of the naira. The true value
of Naira could be above N300 to the dollar.
If the CBN adorpt floating system, it means the currency will find its value based on how much its
traded. if there is more flow of dollars into Nigeria, that boosts the naira, it will appreciate. if there is
more importing of goods from outside, which means people are spending more naira to buy goods
from outside the country, the naira will depreciates.
What this means is, if the Naira remains above N300 to the dollar for more than 12 months, that in
turn will throw Nigeria into 3rd biggest economy in Africa after Egypt and South Africa.

1 Like

Re: CBN Floats The Naira, The Implications For You And I by 14(m): 12:06am On Jun 16, 2016
COMPAQ:
What I need is someone who works in treasury of any bank in Nigeria to tell us at what rate the market is likely to open at on Monday.

Between N300 to N330 to the dollar

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kuda Bank Called EFCC On My Friend Over N800k - Bryson Adah Cole / 5 Profitable Things That Will Always Sell In Nigeria / Jamil Abubakar: Meet Fatima Dangote's Pilot Husband-to-be (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.