Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Computer Science: Where Can I Work? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Science: Where Can I Work? (37053 Views)

I'm Figures Phobia! Can I Work In A Bank Without Necessarily Counting Money? / Where Can I Work As A Motion Graphics Professional / How Can I Work For Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by czaratwork: 8:52am On Jun 20, 2016
have you thought of joining ISACA? It opens world of opportunities for you, They have certifications that are in demand. CISA, CISM, CRISC AND CGEIT. Also a new one came out last year called CSX which bothers on IT security and it has stages from beginner to mastery. You will be abreast with all the happenings in IT INDUSTRY like internet of things, big data, BYOD, ransomware. etc. you attend conferences where you can network and get to learn from the masters.

it does not come cheap though.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by hexy40: 9:01am On Jun 20, 2016
Obviously, many people commenting neither studied Csc nor mixed with those that studied, in a class of 60 only about 4 or 5 might be programmers or have all those skills u talk about, the rest read to pass exams and the skill they have comprises of Qbasic, intro to java, complex maths and how to party. So before we suggest game development, let's ask the op wat skills he has

6 Likes

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by allexy2: 9:06am On Jun 20, 2016
hexy40:
Obviously, many people commenting neither studied Csc nor mixed with those that studied, in a class of 60 only about 4 or 5 might be programmers or have all those skills u talk about, the rest read to pass exams and the skill they have comprises of Qbasic, intro to java, complex maths and how to party. So before we suggest game development, let's ask the op wat skills he has

@Hexy40-----》I 100 % percent agree with you on this. The is the most clever comment I have see on this topic

3 Likes

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by AmigoDeDon(m): 9:06am On Jun 20, 2016
Computer science graduate can work with Yahoo Yahoo.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by colli247(m): 9:08am On Jun 20, 2016
fernandoc:
You can work in cyber cafe as a computer operator.
NICE ANSWER BRO
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Danobal: 9:11am On Jun 20, 2016
Guy! why did u study course that u dont know anything abt.
This ur certificate is questionable
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Danobal: 9:12am On Jun 20, 2016
Guy! why did u study course that u dont know anything abt.
This ur certificate is questionable.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by colli247(m): 9:14am On Jun 20, 2016
NAIJA GRADUATE LIKE CERTIFICATE MORE THAN SKILLS

3 Likes

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by David25(m): 9:32am On Jun 20, 2016
SamMilla1:

This is exactly where youths start to make mistakes about what they want and who they are.
Someone suggested cyber cafe and you think a graduate is bigger than a cyber cafe.
What makes you a graduate is how you apply your knowledge and turn the cyber cafe around into something unique. A well organized cyber cafe gives you opportunity to do many computer works. That's being creative. The only problem I see in it is the unstable electricity issues
If you are waiting to work for Facebook or Google because you spent 4 years in a Nigerian University where your computer science lecturer probable didn't know half of what Computer science is, then you are going to be searching for jobs for the next 10 years.

Believe whatever you want, but if you ask me 100 times, my answer remains the same. A Computer science graduate is too big to be an employee of a Nigerian cyber cafe! I repeat Someone who spent 5 good years in the university is too big to be a computer operator in a cyber cafe!!! come on, how much can they pay him?
you can spare me the wonderful story of transforming a cyber cafe into something unique...

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by humbleself242(m): 9:51am On Jun 20, 2016
Computer village
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by RuddyFusion(m): 9:55am On Jun 20, 2016
Its interesting that a lot of guys here have started listing out possible jobs and possible places he/she can work....But the first question is as a Computer science graduate

What Skills/Set of Skills relating to your expected job domains do you have?

Do you have Database Design/Development/Programming Skills? and what flavor of SQL do you know?

Do you have Web design/Design related skills? and what tools of Web design/Designs do you know?

Do you have Web Development/Software engineering skills? and What programming language/languages do you know?

Do you have UI/UXD Skills? and what tools of UI/UX do you know?

Do you have SEO/DM/SEM Skill?.....To what extent are you grounded on those?

Do you have PC Troubleshooting/Hardware/Networking Skill?

Do you have data analyst skill?

Which of the above skills/combination of the above skills do you have?

What have you done/ or is doing to acquire the above skills or improve on what you know?

If you can answer any of the above questions then....you can find your way around where you can work....

Rutherford NWA Iheanacho A Computer Science graduate himself is signing off

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by femzysticks(m): 10:04am On Jun 20, 2016
blazeee:
If as a computer science graduate you still don't where your services will be needed then do you expect graduates of other fields to tell u where to work?

the matter tire me ooh

they guy just acquired a certificate

he is not into his field

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Funkybabee(f): 10:37am On Jun 20, 2016
pls can any body also give me some clue in where I can work because am doing a national diploma programme in com science in a field result awarded by futa akure

thanks
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Dainikel(m): 10:59am On Jun 20, 2016
U can work anywhere bro which I fink also depends on the connection. But honestly if U've got a little capital U could open up a mini computer centre & turn it to a cyber or for typing, photostat, scanning, printing & all the likes. Guys who started out on this have carved a niche for themselves already.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by tundelis(m): 11:13am On Jun 20, 2016
eleojo23:
OP, I am surprised at this your question. You read a course that belongs to the field of ICT which is in high demand right now.
I advice that you use your already acquired knowledge in computers to further develop yourself. Many companies and organisations are looking for the services of ICT guys as many of them are going digital in all their operations. Many hospitals are seeking to run online prescriptions and dispensing, online stock management, companies are going online and they need guys to maintain their servers etc.
So there are numerous opportunities if you are willing to go the extra mile to develop yourself beyond what you have been taught in school. And I believe it will be easier for you since you already have a computer science background.
please do you know these companies needing ICT guys I have diploma in comp. Engineering and interesting skills
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Intelligentdude(m): 11:14am On Jun 20, 2016
bensonlee770:
Nowhere to find job
I disagree Sir.There are lots of jobs but the question is this:Do you have the relevant skill?Cheers
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Intelligentdude(m): 11:16am On Jun 20, 2016
tundelis:
please do you know these companies needing ICT guys I have diploma in comp. Engineering and interesting skills
These Companies are everywhere.If you are in Lagos,focus your search on IT companies in Ikeja and Lagos Island.What you need bro is relevant Information.Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 20, 2016
Computer scientist can work in Computer Village cheesy cheesy
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by tundelis(m): 11:20am On Jun 20, 2016
Intelligentdude:
These Companies are everywhere.If you are in Lagos,focus your search on IT companies in Ikeja and Lagos Island.What you need bro is relevant Information.Cheers
being searching since January tho
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by budav4fem: 11:33am On Jun 20, 2016
pls call my number i we give u a work in my firm i am also a graduate of computer scientist 07064664519
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Odawaraigwe: 11:40am On Jun 20, 2016
I don't think you truly studied Computer Science, there is no true graduate of this field that will post such on the media. Am forced to ask you if you went through SAD during your university study then advise yourself.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by jiorhemen(m): 11:40am On Jun 20, 2016
fromnigeria:
For sometimes now, I have been
brainstorming on the above topic. I want to start taking my chances.
As a Computer Science graduate, what are the possible government and non-governmental establishments I can work with?
I dont know it all... Thanks for your input.
Most of the senior guys at Google Inc. did computer science. Folks in charge of Google programs such as Google Earth, Street View, etc did Computer Science. You did a very nice course and your skill is very much in demand. You only need to think creatively and research where your skill and creative intelligence are needed. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by SamMilla1(m): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2016
David25:

Believe whatever you want, but if you ask me 100 times, my answer remains the same. A Computer science graduate is too big to be an employee of a Nigerian cyber cafe! I repeat Someone who spent 5 good years in the university is too big to be a computer operator in a cyber cafe!!! come on, how much can they pay him?
you can spare me the wonderful story of transforming a cyber cafe into something unique...

Science graduates are required to be creative. Science is known for discoveries and inventions, not sitting in one bank hall counting people's money.
It's obvious you don't know what Science means.
You shout 5 years in a university as if half of the graduates know what they are doing there.
Isn't it Nigeria universities a again?

Your immediate problem here is that you think cybercafe means having a couple of computers and photocopying documents for people.
You can advice him to wait for Buhari's 5000 Naira because he will be here next year complaining that the Government has no jobs for graduates if he doesn't sit down and think of how to create something for himself.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by blazeee: 12:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
femzysticks:

the matter tire me ooh

they guy just acquired a certificate

he is not into his field
the guy is funny. How can one study a course for good 4 years and still don't know where his knowledge will be needed. It is something of shame
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by blazeee: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2016
David25:

this type of computer graduate that doesn't even know where his knowledge is needed is the type of graduate needed as cafe operator.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by udoh2k: 1:29pm On Jun 20, 2016
My heart bleed 4 ds kind of question. In ds information technology age? And u are a graduate of IT. You concentrated on certificate but ignored sabificate! Don't blame school.

But its not late.

You can start wt biz centre and work as computer instructor. From there u can get experience to start ur own.

Ideally u shd be a software programmer but only abt 5% graduate as programmer! computer sc is about software while computer engr is abt hardware.

so acquire skills in software dev...android apps are money spinners. Web applications are always needed. Freelancers like guru.com can give u jobs u can do from home if u hv d skill.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by DanielPop(m): 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
For NGO, try my kitchen! We may need your skills! undecided undecided
fromnigeria:
For sometimes now, I have been
brainstorming on the above topic. I want to start taking my chances.
As a Computer Science graduate, what are the possible government and non-governmental establishments I can work with?
I dont know it all... Thanks for your input.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by texazzpete(m): 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
hexy40:

Everyone knows the limitations of tertiary education in most Nigerian Universities.

We also know what can be learnt by students and individuals with the drive to learn. The assumption from most people is that the OP is one of the sensible folks who put the effort into self-development.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by LastSurvivor: 4:45pm On Jun 20, 2016
Phi001:

So are you one of the numerous customer care agents who pick our calls or you're in the technical team they keep directing our problems too?

I am a hardware engineer, I monitor BTS/BSC fault, escalate, troubleshoot and resolve..

1 Like

Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by LastSurvivor: 4:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
NarnieSnyper:

wow! That's great. If i may ask, what field in Computer science did u major in? I'm an Undergraduate and i'v always dreamt of working in a telecoms company.
Congrats!

I was good in C# "C sharp" programing language but went for telecoms training after my degree..
To b frank, what I am doing today was never taught in my Alma Mater..
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by Intelligentdude(m): 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
tundelis:
being searching since January tho
Search more cos there are lots of IT companies in Lagos.
Re: Computer Science: Where Can I Work? by fromnigeria(m): 8:55am On Dec 31, 2016
Insightful!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Call To Bar 2022: How A Little Girls Dream Became A Reality / Top Six Most Successful Women In Corporate Nigeria / Police Beats Man For Asking For His 2 Months Salary From His Boss(video+pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.