Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Easy Nigerian Dish - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Easy Nigerian Dish (5124 Views)

Easy Nigerian Recipe / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With / What Is The Most Popular Nigerian Dish? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2009
Hello everyone,

I want to surprise my boyfriend and cook for him. Unfortunately i'm not nigerian and i want to make him a nigerian dish.I came across a recipe for egusi soup online,but i'm a bit afraid of doing it. Can someone please advise me on what to cook and also give me an easy recipe ? Since he's a yoruba man, i would gladly prefer a dish from his tribe (egun).
Thanks a lot.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by MrCrackles(m): 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2009
Dont try egusi (mellon) soup. . . .
There are easier dishes you can get away with IMHO
Goodluck
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 6:51pm On Aug 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

Dont try egusi (mellon) soup. . . .
There are easier dishes you can get away with IMHO
Goodluck

You're right, i think egusi soup is not a good choice since it'll be the first time that i'm trying to cook for him. Do you have a recipe for IMHO? What kind of dish is it?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by MrCrackles(m): 6:58pm On Aug 30, 2009
blandyne:

You're right, i think egusi soup is not a good choice since it'll be the first time that i'm trying to cook for him. Do you have a recipe for IMHO? What kind of dish is it?
IMHO - IN my honest opinion! grin
I dont know about any other dish you can get away with. . . .
My mum had nightmares in the start with my dad but she got better. . .and now she's awesome wid it! tongue
I am sure there r peeps on this forum who can give you more options, in the meantime, i will find out and get back
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Hauwa1: 7:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
watery egusi soup with 2 mins eba lipsrsealed.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by MrCrackles(m): 7:09pm On Aug 30, 2009
*Hauwa*:

watery egusi soup with 2 mins eba lipsrsealed.
Dont be a muppet. . . cool
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Hauwa1: 7:14pm On Aug 30, 2009
dont be an adiye cool Brash, dont be an adiye.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 7:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

IMHO - IN my honest opinion! grin
I dont know about any other dish you can get away with. . . .
My mum had nightmares in the start with my dad but she got better. . .and now she's awesome wid it! tongue
I am sure there r peeps on this forum who can give you more options, in the meantime, i will find out and get back

lmao grin grin grin grin grin grin So sorry, i feel stupid right now embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Thanks, i will gladly appreciated it.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by MrCrackles(m): 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2009
*Hauwa*:

dont be an adiye cool Brash, dont be an adiye.
You are a goat. . . I understand Adiye is chicken right?
You are a boiled rabbit! grin
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Hauwa1: 7:26pm On Aug 30, 2009
and u a hairy agama, full roasted tailess agama  grin
nah, adiye is free roam Brash grin
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Rebarobyn: 7:45pm On Aug 30, 2009
I don't think you'll pull any Nigerian dish off (except the jollof-rice recipe) at a first try but I guess its the fact that you attempt it that matters so don't be scared to try, I'm sure your bf will appreciate it. The egusi is a nice one but do you know where to get the ingredients?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 7:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
@ Rebarobyn

Come on girl,at least give me some credits!!!! I'm able to make the Jollof rice, even though i haven't try the nigerian version per se but I'm Carribean and we have a dish pretty close to the jollof rice.

Like you said it won't be easy for me to find all the ingredients for egusi soup.However i did my homework and was able to find 2 african grocery stores not too far from where i live. I read online that i can subs the egusi seeds for pumpkin seed, what do u think?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by posakosa(m): 8:12pm On Aug 30, 2009
What about fried plantains with eggs or yam and eggs ? yuum

or you can buy the food and tell him you made it, undecided undecided undecided
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 8:18pm On Aug 30, 2009
posakosa:

What about fried plantains with eggs or yam and eggs ? yuum

or you can buy the food and tell him you made it, undecided undecided undecided

Well i can do the fried plantains (i know he loves them), but for the eggs, how do i prepare them? Should i fry, boil them or do i make scramble eggs. Please tell me.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Rebarobyn: 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2009
blandyne:

@ Rebarobyn

Come on girl,at least give me some credits!!!! I'm able to make the Jollof rice, even though i haven't try the nigerian version per se but I'm Carribean and we have a dish pretty close to the jollof rice.

Like you said it won't be easy for me to find all the ingredients for egusi soup.However i did my homework and was able to find 2 african grocery stores not too far from where i live. I read online that i can subs the egusi seeds for pumpkin seed, what do u think?

I think you should use the real egusi seeds, I've never tried pumpkin seeds so I dont know what it'll taste like
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by bluespice(f): 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
blandyne:

Well i can do the fried plantains (i know he loves them), but for the eggs, how do i prepare them? Should i fry, boil them or do i make scramble eggs. Please tell me.
u generally fry the eggs
however u can have them as sunny side up eggs,
scrambled eggs,
poached eggs,
the list is virtually endless
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by posakosa(m): 9:43pm On Aug 30, 2009
blandyne:

Fry is better,  with onions,tomatoes, green pepper/sausages or tuna,  yum! shocked shocked

just make sure he doesn't have like heart or cholesterol problems,
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Oluschenco(m): 11:58am On Sep 01, 2009
Fried egg + boiled fish + boiled/fried plaintain, its too much
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Fhemmmy: 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2009
Gari + water + Sugar + Milk + G.Nuts
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by chiejik(f): 8:54am On Sep 03, 2009
check on this thread,i gave out recipy for egusi soup to someone it will do you good.

NB dont add much salt on it
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Gabry(f): 9:40am On Sep 03, 2009
Why dont you just do a simple chicken and beef soup with Sugi? Thats my first recipe which my bf had taught me to cook which his mother had first taught him to cook

I am in a rush right now so I cannot explain to you how to cook but do let me know if u are interested and I will type it out for you. Thanks
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by CrazyMan(m): 11:27am On Sep 03, 2009
Better cook rice and stew or jollof rice since it's easy to prepare;

All those egusi and vegetable soup are a bit complicated; and since you're doing it for the first time, you might end up doing a mess; so my dear prepare the dish you know; then with time, you'll learn the difficult ones.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 3:05pm On Sep 03, 2009
Gabry:

Why dont you just do a simple chicken and beef soup with Sugi? Thats my first recipe which my bf had taught me to cook which his mother had first taught him to cook

I am in a rush right now so I cannot explain to you how to cook but do let me know if u are interested and I will type it out for you. Thanks

Thanks so much Gabry!!!! I will love to have the recipe. Sugi?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Gabry(f): 3:03am On Sep 04, 2009
blandyne:

Thanks so much Gabry!!!! I will love to have the recipe. Sugi?

Sorry. Sugi is actually sumthing which they replace with Garri cause there is no Garri in Malaysia. Its a type of flour and they mixed it with hot water (to replace garri) but if you have garri there, you just mixed it with hot water.

Ok heres the recipe.

Ingredients:-
Whole Chicken (Chop into pieces with its bone)
Beef cut to chunks(the first time he taught me, he bought beef tenderloin but actually it doesnt really matter)
Chicken Stock (Maggi brand) - the powderish type
Salt
Pepper
Tomatoes (Sliced)
Tomato puree (He got from a can)
Onions (Sliced)
Garlic (Chop)
Red Chilli
Garri
Oil

Preparation:
- Take a pot and put in the Chicken and beef chunks in it and fill it with water
- Bring it to boil
- Put in Chicken Stock, sliced onions and chop garlic and pepper
- When the meat is cook, take out both meat and keep at one side
- Please do not throw away the water in the pot as we need it later to make the soup / stew

- Take out a blender and blend tomato puree, sliced tomatoes and chilli together

- Get a Frying pan and heat up oil
- When the opil is heated up, pan fried the chicken and beef till golden brown

- Remember the water from the pot just now, that would be your chicken and beef stock (The Onions and garlic which you were boiling injust now together should also be kept there)
- Now you take back the stock and if the water is too much for your meat, than you pour out some water.

- Now put the stock in pot on the fire
- Pour in the pan fried beef and chicken
- Pour in the tomatoes and chilli paste which you have blendered just now
- put in salt and pepper for taste
- when it is bubbling boiled, than you switch off fire.

- Garri to be mixed with hot water untill it becomes like a dough

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You eat the garri with the Chicken and Beef Soup.

I have a picture here which I have cooked but this time I use chicken cause my friend could not eat beef and the 2nd picture below is not to eat with garri cause we have none so I made Sugi.

Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by chiejik(f): 10:10am On Sep 04, 2009
this looks yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Gabry(f): 1:59pm On Sep 04, 2009
Thanks chiejik grin
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Gabry(f): 2:01am On Sep 09, 2009
blandyne,

Do let us know how did it go.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Cman76: 7:23am On Sep 09, 2009
For all that might be interested, i found this site www.oduafarms.com where i get most of my smoked foods. Their smoked chicken is really delicious and can add accents to any dish you make : egusi, ogbono, pepper soup , 

I also like the fact that i get other ingredients easily on the site.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2009
Gabry:

blandyne,

Do let us know how did it go.

Thanks Gabry, i promise you i will.
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by blandyne(f): 6:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
Cman76:

For all that might be interested, i found this site www.oduafarms.com where i get most of my smoked foods. Their smoked chicken is really delicious and can add accents to any dish you make : egusi, ogbono, pepper soup , 

I also like the fact that i get other ingredients easily on the site.

Thanks so much, i visited the website so helpful. Do you know if they're based in the U.S ?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Gabry(f): 1:41am On Sep 16, 2009
I would assume that you have already prepared the meal. How did it go?
Re: Easy Nigerian Dish by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2009
[size=13pt]Hell'o Gabry. . .I miss you Die!!!! cry cry Where Have you been?? ,I saw your offline Ym and was really touhing________that i mistakenly press the (Closs window) botton while attempting to respond.

Great Memories my dear Friend and Most especially there on Facebook*eye Bling* grin grin so far i have not recieve your Poking there ooo, hehehe. . .i knew you like em Poking Upon Poking .

1 One and have a Blissful day-Your Friend:Ogaga S.O.S
[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chinese Sauce (recipes) / The Wonders Of Ofada Rice / Packaged Garri With Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.