Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,795 members, 7,806,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations (1433 Views)

Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy / What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / 7 Myths About Fuel Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 16, 2016
Dear all,

I use a Camry 2002 xle v6 (bought in April 2016 toks). It comes with an inbuilt fuel consumption calculating system. My aim now is to understand the impact of the mpg reading i get.

Let me be clear here.

I have read about Fuel consumption, as well as the difference compared to Fuel economy, even how to calculate mpg and L/km manually.
The point i fail to understand (or better yet, no one has explained clearly) is how the mpg reading translates to your car's fuel economy.

E.g I have a reading of 15.3 mpg average driving from Okota to Lagos island on a daily commute.

Does this mean my fuel consumption is very high? or low? or am i expected to compare it with a benchmark reading?

What exactly do i make out of my 15.3 mpg reading Do i interpret it as the higher the mpg the better the fuel consumption or the lower the mpg, the better the fuel consumption.

Note:
My ECU scan reads P1135 Air/fuel sensor heater, bank 1 sensor 1 and
P1566 Cruise control harness
Re: Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2016
Abeg make person explain this thing na. Car gurus in the house pls help.
Siena gazzuz ikenna
Re: Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
Iluv:
Dear all,

I use a Camry 2002 xle v6 (bought in April 2016 toks). It comes with an inbuilt fuel consumption calculating system. My aim now is to understand the impact of the mpg reading i get.

Let me be clear here.

I have read about Fuel consumption, as well as the difference compared to Fuel economy, even how to calculate mpg and L/km manually.
The point i fail to understand (or better yet, no one has explained clearly) is how the mpg reading translates to your car's fuel economy.

E.g I have a reading of 15.3 mpg average driving from Okota to Lagos island on a daily commute.

Does this mean my fuel consumption is very high? or low? or am i expected to compare it with a benchmark reading?

What exactly do i make out of my 15.3 mpg reading Do i interpret it as the higher the mpg the better the fuel consumption or the lower the mpg, the better the fuel consumption.

Note:
My ECU scan reads P1135 Air/fuel sensor heater, bank 1 sensor 1 and
P1566 Cruise control harness

mpg means mile per gallon

so when you driving the car trip computer calculate that based on speed and position of the acceleration pedal

so some car constantly meausure mpg based on the accelelaration pedal position eg my audi a4 convertible if i let of my foot of the pedal the mpg becomes 000 the moment i step on it then start to calculate

so what it simply means that based on the speed you are driving and acceleration pedal you would be able to do 15miles per a gallon of petrol the gallon can be american or uk type but average a gallon is 5 litres

so your 15mpg at what speed would be travelling at ? mpg has a relationship with travelling speeds eg slow speeds gives you high MPG eg at 60 miles an hour would might get 30mpg then at 80 miles per hour the MPG drops to eg 22mpg

every speed gives a different MPG and lots of things affect MPG "My ECU scan reads P1135 Air/fuel sensor heater, bank 1 sensor 1"
they do affect MPG
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

then also the type of fuel you use also my drops your mpg eg fuel with less octane as recommended by your manufacturer
Re: Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
Thanks Zimdrill for the info. Fortunately for me, I can relate with what you have posted because I just realized in practial how it affects my car on my way home this night.

So I reset my mpg counter and decided to maintain an average constant speed of 60km/hr all the way from VI till Costain. My avg mpg rose to 29mpg. Then it occurred to me that it means I could drive a distance of 29miles per gallon of fuel.

This further makes it clear that the higher your mpg reading the better your fuel economy. However, it is relative to the speed of the car.
E.g @ a speed of 60km/hr I could drive for an estimated 29miles (47km) with just 1 gallon (3.8ltrs).

It is quite interesting how a quest for knowledge could leave you with an open mind to understand better.
Re: Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:06am On Jun 17, 2016
Iluv:
Thanks Zimdrill for the info. Fortunately for me, I can relate with what you have posted because I just realized in practial how it affects my car on my way home this night.

So I reset my mpg counter and decided to maintain an average constant speed of 60km/hr all the way from VI till Costain. My avg mpg rose to 29mpg. Then it occurred to me that it means I could drive a distance of 29miles per gallon of fuel.

This further makes it clear that the higher your mpg reading the better your fuel economy. However, it is relative to the speed of the car.
E.g @ a speed of 60km/hr I could drive for an estimated 29miles (47km) with just 1 gallon (3.8ltrs).

It is quite interesting how a quest for knowledge could leave you with an open mind to understand better.

yap you got it

the mpg does by manufacturer are always below 62ms/hr hence they always look good on paper they runs test while the car is stationary in lab

eg they say your get 35MPG as average meaning 35MPG on the highway at 60m/hr so imagine your is 400miles would you want to drive at 60m/hr just to achieve 35MPG ? on average its NO becoz 1 it will take more time to complete the journey unless if your are in a hurry 2 you would only maintian such speed if you havent got more money for fue, if you increase speed your MPG drops and travelling distance would also drop. if you had calculated your travelling distance based on 35MPG at 60m/hr = to eg 400miles and then you increase speed to 70m/hr your MPG will drop so that 400miles will drop to 350miles
Re: Fuel Economy/mpg Calculations by seyiojomu(m): 8:28am On Jun 21, 2016
OP ; the higher the MPG, the better for you

Simply put, when you have a high MPG value, it means you are driving economically and using less fuel to achieve more. When you have lower values, it means you are burning more fuel to do less work.

All this is dependent on ; traffic situations, Air condition usage, idle conditions, acceleration, action of wind against your drive direction etc the list goes on including the drivers expertise

(1) (Reply)

How Good And Reliable Is Chrysler Cars / BMW E36 Converted To Pick Up / Uber And Taxify Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.