Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria (3652 Views)

Things I'm Learning Fast About Business / CAC Reviews Cost Of Business Registration, Says Now Cheaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 17, 2016
Business name registration is an important aspect of setting up businesses in the country. Ventures/Enterprises, Companies, Churches, Non-governmental organizations (N.G.Os) Clubs, Schools, Association and so on are usually registered under Companies and Allied Matters ACT, 1990 by Corporate Affairs Commission (C.A.C)[/b]Corporate Affairs Commission (C.A.C). The process of registering business can very tedious and stressful at time but if you are working with an accredited agent you can have your certificate in 3-4weeks. For newbies filling themselves, you may have your documents queried, rejected and have to wait for so long before you get your certificate so you have to understand the processes involve and the legal requirement in registering your Companies(LTD, PLC and UnlimitedLC), churches, NGO and so on.

[b]Steps required for registering Ventures / Enterprises:

1. Apply For Name Search (If approved, u proceed to next step otherwise you re-apply again)
2. Get business Registration form for filing, (Fill details of proprietor(s), address of business, date of commencement, etc.
Note: Some documents may be required during filling depending on the nature of the business such as proficiency certificates, membership certificate or license document etc.
3. Get your certificate with Certified True Copies in two (2) weeks after filing. If queried or CAC request for re-validation, u may have to repeat some process.

Steps required for registering Companies in Nigeria (Example: Limited Company)

1. Apply For Name Search (If approved, u proceed to next step otherwise you re-apply again)
2. Get Set of Forms (CAC 2, CAC 2.1, CAC 3, CAC 7 …)
3. Prepare a Memorandum of Association (MoA) and Article of Association (AoA) ( You need a lawyer to do this for you or an experienced CAC accredited agent)
4. Apply for Stamp Duty at FIRS office with your Share Capital and MoA & AoA Documents (It takes about three days to process)
5. Fill your set of forms ( attached are Copies of ID card of directors and company Secretary, or any other documents depending on your business objects)
6. Submit the forms with MoA & AoA and other documents. Then get your certificate in two weeks after filing.

See images of Registered Company Certificate and Memorandum and Article of association Stamped by FIRS

For any other information or support on registering your Enterprise, company, Church, NGO and so on,

Call: 07046492047 or 07015530202

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by HawksDude(m): 8:16pm On Jul 13, 2016
Hey sammeyd, I got my business name queried because i included "advertising" my business name description which they said I need to be a member of apcon to do. What can I do about that?
Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
HawksDude:
Hey sammeyd, I got my business name queried because i included "advertising" my business name description which they said I need to be a member of apcon to do. What can I do about that?

There are some business categories that require further registration/license before they can be allowed to operate. Advertising is one of them. If you want to register an advertising agency, you should register with APCON like they said. Alternatively, you could remove the advertising if you are not going to run an advertising business. Things like that could be dicey. It's important to be on the right side of the law if you plan to build a business brand that lasts.

You could also ask them there at CAC what you should do so that they give you accurate information depending on what you really want to do.

Here are answers to other frequently asked questions regarding business name registration: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/register-business-name/

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by HawksDude(m): 10:31pm On Jul 13, 2016
delivite:

There are some business categories that require further registration/license before they can be allowed to operate. Advertising is one of them. If you want to register an advertising agency, you should register with APCON like they said. Alternatively, you could remove the advertising if you are not going to run an advertising business. Things like that could be dicey. It's important to be on the right side of the law if you plan to build a business brand that lasts.

You could also ask them there at CAC what you should do so that they give you accurate information depending on what you really want to do.

Here are answers to other frequently asked questions regarding business name registration: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/register-business-name/

Cheers!

Thanks so much for your response. Since its possible to remove the "Advertising", I guess I have to visit them. The prob now is that I did it online and its not editale online.
Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2016
HawksDude:

Thanks so much for your response. Since its possible to remove the "Advertising", I guess I have to visit them. The prob now is that I did it online and its not editale online.

Still you should visit them and ask them what your options are. Doesn't hurt.
Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by geni(f): 11:59am On Jul 22, 2016
delivite:

Thanks
Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
HawksDude:

yes, u cannot use advertising if u are not a member of APCON. u need license or membership certificate of APCON to include that in your business objects. Professional fields such as Consulting, Training, marketing ,pharmacy, law firms, medical fields do require certificate of competent from a recognized institution or higher academic qualifications.
To register your company or business with ease, call us @ 08100585820 or 07015530202
Re: What You Need To Know About Business Registration In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
delivite:

if you are removing it. closer business objects to that which do not require license is information service activities, communication services.

(1) (Reply)

Wholesale 3D Lashes Manufacturers, Mink Eyelashes Suppliers - Elour / N10million To Invest. / Please Help What Business Can 2 million Naira Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.