Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,772 members, 7,802,367 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Am I Fasting At All? I Eat Till 5:30am - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Am I Fasting At All? I Eat Till 5:30am (2831 Views)

Ramadan: Things That Do Not Invalidate Fasting / Can A Muslim Brother Approach A Muslim Lady During The Ramadan Fasting / Can I Eat The Food Prepared By My Girlfriend During Ramadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Am I Fasting At All? I Eat Till 5:30am by afolayan90(m): 7:36am On Jun 18, 2016
Question

Am I Fasting at all? I Eat Till 5:30am

Answer to the Question

Assalamun Aleikum Warahmotullahi Wabarakatuhu

Praise be to Allah

First of all, bear in mind that Allah has permitted the fasting person to eat and drink until dawn comes. He, The Most High, says: (Eat and drink until the white thread becomes distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn) (Al-Baqarah 2:187)

The exact cut-off time for Imsak (abstaining from food, drink, etc.) is the time of fajr (dawn); so if you eat until that time you did not commit any sin.

Most of the time people confuse between the preferred time and the permissible one; the preferred time for Imsak, according to scholars, is to finish sahur ten minutes before fajr.

In a response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following,

“You need not be overly confused about this issue, for it is merely a difference of opinion based on the distinction between what is preferred and what is merely permissible. There is no doubt that the cut-off point for consuming sahur is the arrival of dawn (i.e., fajr time). However, the preferred time for abstention is 10 or 15 minutes earlier than that”

The basis for establishing the preferred time of abstention (imsak ) is an authentic tradition from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). One of his Companions narrated the story of taking sahur with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Upon hearing it, someone asked him, “What was the time gap between your sahur and fajr salah?” He replied, “The time required to read fifty verses of the Qur’an.” It is estimated that this time can be 10 or 15 minutes and not more.

Based on some findings in Nigeria Lagos State to be precise, the distinction of the white thread of down from the black thread of night is evident around 5:30am-5:35am. So following the hadith of the prophet stating the time interval to be 10mins before fajr, it can be concluded that Imsak( abstention) time is 5:20am-5:25am.

However, it must be pointed out that the above mentioned hadith does not state that it is not permissible to consume sahur later or earlier than that, for it only states that it was the sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

As for the permissibility of consuming sahur until the arrival of dawn, it has been established by the clear text of the Qur’an: (Eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct from the black thread of night) (Al-Baqarah 2:187).

Almighty Allah knows best.

Source: http://salamng.com/am-i-fasting-at-all-i-eat-till-530am/
Re: Am I Fasting At All? I Eat Till 5:30am by IbBarham(m): 5:29am On Jun 20, 2016
Salam Alaykum... Then when is the imsak time in Ibadan and Oyo state in general?

1 Like

Re: Am I Fasting At All? I Eat Till 5:30am by afolayan90(m): 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
IbBarham:
Salam Alaykum... Then when is the imsak time in Ibadan and Oyo state in general?

Waleikum Salam warahmotullahi wabarakatuhu

The general Imsak time is 05:15am. However if you can observe the fajr yourself and determine the exact time in your location is a highly advisable.

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Maintain The Good Habits You Picked During Ramadan: / Bloody Ceremony: Muslims All Over The World Mourn The Slayin Of Mohammds Granson / Israelis Oppressive Behaviour Towards The Feeble Palestinians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.