Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Why Faith Is Bad - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Faith Is Bad (16626 Views)

Faith Oyedepo's 60th Birthday: Adeboye, Enenche, Ibiyeomie Others Attend / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 12:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
buskie13:
Where did u get ur stats from?
if you were to look at stats; judging from stats in the bible satan only killed 10 people compared to the countless amount of people killed by God in the bible undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 12:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
But that didn't include some of God's most impressive slaughters. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? The Bible doesn't say, so there's no way to know for sure. But it's possible to provide rough estimates in order to get a grand total, and that's what I'm attempting here.

Total with estimates: 25 million.
winner01:
Thanks dear.
bolt000, you may need to check out this thread; https://www.nairaland.com/2988881/atheism-terrorism-annihilation-quest-atheistic
it will give you more info on atheism and terrorism.

In the past 100 years alone, atheistic leaders and their governments under the banner of atheistic communism have caused the death of somewhere between 158,368,610 to 259,432,000 human lives. The historical record of collective atheism is thus 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition. This means that the average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by winner01(m): 12:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
bolt000:
But that didn't include some of God's most impressive slaughters. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? The Bible doesn't say, so there's no way to know for sure. But it's possible to provide rough estimates in order to get a grand total, and that's what I'm attempting here.

Total with estimates: 25 million.
Let me pretend to agree with you. Even at 50 million, it still pales in comparison with atheisms over 200 million lives lost within a mere 100 yesrs.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Isaacmacdon(m): 12:41pm On Jun 19, 2016
Didn't bother reading cos the "logical ones" or "atheist" has got nothing to offer other than mere questions cradled with the dirt of human reasoning. This here is an example. Moreover, the o.p didn't state what type of faith because in the present world today, the word "faith" has been misunderstood. Faith is not speaking into existence, it is hoping nd believing in your heart that God would do a new thing. Read the scriptures nd you'd see instances of faith.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
Faith is not bad as such. Faith without awakening your third eye, the eye of faith, is like trying to cross a busy highway with your eyes shut.

the invisible world that surrounds us is much more interesting and vivifying only if we can awaken the eye of faith, the third eye.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 12:55pm On Jun 19, 2016
winner01:
Let me pretend to agree with you. Even at 50 million, it still pales in comparison with atheisms over 200 million lives lost within a mere 100 yesrs.
You Seem To Always Mistake Atheism With Advocating For The Devil, You Failed To Observe The Initial Arguement Which Says "more People Have Been Killed In The Name Of God Than Of The Devil"(not of atheism) you seem to not know the first meaning of atheism(doubting the existence of any supernatural being or any god or gods). Incase You Dont Know; Not More Than 10 People Were Killed In The Name Of The Devil(not Atheism). So Enough With Your Statistics About The Atheist Killing.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 12:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
Isaacmacdon:
Didn't bother reading cos the "logical ones" or "atheist" has got nothing to offer other than mere questions cradled with the dirt of human reasoning. This here is an example. Moreover, the o.p didn't state what type of faith because in the present world today, the word "faith" has been misunderstood. Faith is not speaking into existence, it is hoping nd believing in your heart that God would do a new thing. Read the scriptures nd you'd see instances of faith.
You'll Be Pardoned Because You Didnt Read The Post. undecided
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
adeaks:
And what happens when they stand up to scrutiny? Would you then believe that God exists?
I would be shocked if that happened, but yes, I would be forced to change my mind based on what the evidence actually proves or strongly suggests. I am not an atheist by wilful unbelief. I am an atheist because the evidence for any God is just not there. The things touted as evidence are fabricated, twisted, exxagerated, misinterpreted, etc. The more you look, the less you see.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Oladim001(m): 1:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
winner01:
No one is threatening you with anything. You people claim that the bible is hogwash, You don't believe in the Bible so why bother with a "lie"? undecided.. The fact that you feel this threatened proves that you do believe in God.
I never said i don't believe in God so whats this one talking about?:> undecided
winner01:
No one is threatening you with anything. You people claim that the bible is hogwash, You don't believe in the Bible so why bother with a "lie"? undecided.. The fact that you feel this threatened proves that you do believe in God.
I never said i don't believe in God so whats this one talking about?:>
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by armadeo(m): 1:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
The question I ask is do you have evidence God doesn't exist?
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Isaacmacdon(m): 1:12pm On Jun 19, 2016
bolt000:
You'll Be Pardoned Because You Didnt Read The Post. undecided
lol.. funny.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
buskie13:
Where did u get ur stats from?
All the people killed in religious conflicts in history were killed in the name of God. The genocide of Canaan in the Bible (which probably never happened), the Christian crusades, the various Islamic jihads, radical Islamist terror attacks, etc. I've not heard about any conflict in which people were fighting and killing other people in the name of Satan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Oladim001(m): 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:
I would be shocked if that happened, but yes, I would be forced to change my mind based on what the evidence actually proves or strongly suggests. I am not an atheist by wilful unbelief. I am an atheist because the evidence for any God is just not there. The things touted as evidence are fabricated, twisted, exxagerated, misinterpreted, etc. The more you look, the less you see.
I thought you said you were gonna change the topic to a less ambiguous one.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
Oga Seun has really said enough but let me quickly clarify one misconception.

Theist (believer) and Atheist (Unbeliever)

What that above means, We Atheist don't assert that God don't exist because we can't prove his non existence rather, We choose not to believe because we can't stay in the same universe with such a megalomaniac God who wants to be praised all the time, I mean all the time.

Flipping the script

The burden of PROOF lies on theists to prove the existence of their God and if they can't they got psychological problem which is abnormal and to combat that abnormality, they come up with a defence mechanism called FAITH.

So I guess that's what Seun is tryna address but in one word, All what Seun was tryna say is "FAITH IS BLIND".

3 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Engrobiorah(m): 1:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:
You just stunned me embarassed
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:
All the people killed in religious conflicts in history were killed in the name of God. The genocide of Canaan in the Bible (which probably never happened), the Christian crusades, the various Islamic jihads, radical Islamist terror attacks, etc. I've not heard about any conflict in which people were fighting and killing other people in the name of Satan.

Lol that's a fact religion has killed more in the name of God.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 1:52pm On Jun 19, 2016
aaronson:
Oga Seun has really said enough but let me quickly clarify one misconception.

Theist (believer) and Atheist (Unbeliever)

What that above means, We Atheist don't assert that God don't exist because we can't prove his non existence rather, We choose not to believe because we can't stay in the same universe with such a megalomaniac God who wants to be praised all the time, I mean all the time.

Flipping the script

The burden of PROOF lies on theists to prove the existence of their God and if they can't they got psychological problem which is abnormal and to combat that abnormality, they come up with a defence mechanism called FAITH.

So I guess that's what Seun is tryna address but in one word, All what Seun was tryna say is "FAITH IS BLIND".
You Hit The Nail Right On The Head.. 100%
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 2:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
winner01:
Just as every war fought by a religious person is not a religious war, every war fought by an atheist is not an atheist war. Religious war are wars which are fought with a religious motivation.

However I'm not here to promote atheism as such but to urge people to base their beliefs on evidence and reason. If that leads you to religion, that's fine by me (but it won't).

Hitler's wars were fought to promote an agenda that was very much faith-based. He believed in the superiority of the Aryan race and that Jews ought to be exterminated. There is no rational basis for those beliefs. He was shocked when a man from a race he considered inferior (the black race) dominated the Olympics held in Germany, but that did nothing to change his views. He also claimed to be a Christian (the bible blames Jews for the death of Jesus)

Unlike Hitler, the Soviets were certainly anti-religious, because they considered religion as a threat to their communist ideology. They wanted the state to occupy the position of God - that which is believed in and obeyed and never criticized or questioned - in the minds of their citizens. This is at odds with what I'm advocating on this thread which is to question and criticically examine every belief and its supporting evidence.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:
Faith in anything that is not true is bad. More people have been killed in the name of God than in the name of the devil.

I am of the opinion that most People Confuse Religion with the existence of God...

God exists ....however , the probelm started when Religion was fashioned out as a way to exploit people through the existence of God....

The idea of his existence can be likened to a situation in a particular town where there is famine and drought.. Now in the town, a Stream is found... The stream contains healthy water and is very clean...

Now some group of people ( Religion ) who were the earliest to get to the stream source,spring up and say for one to get the water, he has to do this, do that or else the water would destroy their stomach...

They started collecting money and other things for people to get to the stream and everyone became accustomed to the myth that without doing all those rights of dancing around the river, cutting nearby grasses( religious activities ) and all, the water will destroy them

and a lot of this groups of fraudsters were formed... (different types of religion were formed )

However, unknown to many. This same stream runs along into various undergrounds where people are drinking and getting fulfilled without going through any rituals... All this people attempt that the water is still good for drinking without all their the religious attempt proves abortive as the people held strong that the rituals must be performed before access can be gained.

This other people go to the stream.,drink the water and nothing happens to them but the fraudsteras tell their followers that they were just enjoying a certain grace and feeling pain inside and that they will soon die if they dont join them in doing the rituals.

God existence is not in all these miracles or religion , it is in the mind.. It is subconscious and reacts with thinking...A part of you cant deny it.. Your mind and soul connects with it.

The God might not be in the line of most religious doctrines but there is a part of it that tells, guides and protect you.... Your subsconsciousness..

God exists but religion is sham...

2 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
bolt000:
You Hit The Nail Right On The Head.. 100%
Thank you sir'.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by AccidentalGenius: 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
God was made in the image of man.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Omooba77: 2:33pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:

They are not fabricated Seun, the problem is that you choose to believe your own belief. God exists and is real. I have gone the same path as an atheist before,have read alot about metal physics that make us belief things happen by mere coincedence. God is a reality
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
aaronson:
Thank you sir'.
You Are Welcome.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2016
Iamsynord, I Swear I Could Kiss You Now If I See You #nohomo. You Just Layed Down Your Facts In The Most Simple And Realistic Manner I Have Ever Seen. Buuuuttt, Still I Doubt The Existence Of A Supernatural Being Or God. You Are Brilliant Tho.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 3:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
Iamsynord:
I am of the opinion that most People Confuse Religion with the existence of God ...
... God exists but religion is sham..
According to the Mariam-Webster dictionary, religion is "the belief in a god or in a group of gods" (source). As long as you believe in God, what you're practicing is still religion. What you are against is organized religion and what you're promoting is personal religion, but it's still religion.

God existence is not in all these miracles or religion , it is in the mind.. It is subconscious and reacts with thinking...A part of you cant deny it.. Your mind and soul connects with it.

The God might not be in the line of most religious doctrines but there is a part of it that tells, guides and protect you.... Your subconsciousness..
This is an exercise in semantics: "God is my subconscious. My subconscious exists. Therefore God exists". My rebuttal to this is to say let us stick to the dictionary definition of God: "the perfect and all-powerful spirit or being that is worshipped especially by Christians, Jews, and Muslims as the one who created and rules the universe" (source). If you don't believe in the God in the dictionary, you don't believe in God. Also, I suspect that you have no evidence for the claim that there's a supernatural thing in your subconscious that guides and protects you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Isaacmacdon(m): 3:41pm On Jun 19, 2016
"only a fool would say that there's no God" Hope u dig that? I didn't carve that out, its there in the scriptures. Keep whining from now till thy Kingdom come. All I see is delusion which I pray would be loosened.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Omooba77: 3:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
Seun:

According to the Mariam-Webster dictionary, religion is "the belief in a god or in a group of gods" (source). As long as you believe in God, what you're practicing is still religion. What you are against is organized religion and what you're promoting is personal religion, but it's still religion.

This is an exercise in semantics: "God is my subconscious. My subconscious exists. Therefore God exists". My rebuttal to this is to say let us stick to the dictionary definition of God: "the perfect and all-powerful spirit or being that is worshipped especially by Christians, Jews, and Muslims as the one who created and rules the universe" (source). If you don't believe in the God in the dictionary, you don't believe in God. Also, I suspect that you have no evidence for the claim that there's a supernatural thing in your subconscious that guides and protects you.

Webster is just a book;we can as well use Bible definition or Traditional African belief by Johnson
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
Oladim001:
I thought you said you were gonna change the topic to a less ambiguous one.
I can't find a better word to describe what I'm alluding to, which is a belief that is not based on objective evidence and reason but a decision to believe. I think this is exactly what most people understand by the word "faith" in a religious or biblical context. Belief based on choice.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Omooba77: 3:50pm On Jun 19, 2016
1 a : devotion to duty or a person : LOYALTY b : the quality of keeping one's promises. 2 a : belief and trust in and loyalty to God b : belief in the doctrines of a religion c : firm belief even in the absence of proof d : complete confidence.
Definition of faith - Merriam-Webster's Student ...
www.wordcentral.com › cgi-bin › student
Seun:

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by MaziOmenuko: 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Nice thread.

One thing though it baffles me when Christians opine that Christianity is not a religion.
Christianity is a religion, no matter how hard you try to paint it as a way of life, or a relationship with Jesus, Christianity is a religion, and as all religion, is a major drawback on the development of man and his society as it introduces discrimination, division, slavery, gender inequality and other social vices.

You can't run away from the truth.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by HARDDON: 4:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
You don't have faith ? Yet u sleep @ night with d bliv you wud wake up to see the brightness of a new dawn? undecided

Faith idea is bad yet u live life hoping for the best? undecided

Faith idea is bad yet you have a lot of answers hanging over ur neck unanswered? N your mind can't think them tru? So u really evolved from apes?

Faith idea is bad ? go read up d history of all those who walk by sight.....

To live is to have faith whether consciously or otherwise.

You can't see beyond your nose in this wicked world yet u claim faith idea is bad?

If u don't know what faith is, here let's help u: it is the substance of things hoped for, the very evidence of things not yet visible.

In a nutshell, it is bliving with total assuarance b4 seeing it come to fruition.

If faith idea is bad, then humans ain't really living but merely existing like every other lower animals
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 4:23pm On Jun 19, 2016
HARDDON:
You don't have faith ? Yet u sleep @ night with d bliv you wud wake up to see the brightness of a new dawn? undecided

Faith idea is bad yet u live life hoping for the best? undecided

Faith idea is bad yet you have a lot of answers hanging over ur neck unanswered? N your mind can't think them tru? So u really evolved from apes?

Faith idea is bad ? go read up d history of all those who walk by sight.....

To live is to have faith whether consciously or otherwise.

You can't see beyond your nose in this wicked world yet u claim faith idea is bad?

If u don't know what faith is, here let's help u: it is the substance of things hoped for, the very evidence of things not yet visible.

In a nutshell, it is bliving with total assuarance b4 seeing it come to fruition.

If faith idea is bad, then humans ain't really living but merely existing like every other lower animals
You Mistake Not Having Faith At All And "Why Faith Is Bad".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Paul Adefarasin And Wife, Ifeanyi Adefarasin Celebrate 23rd Wedding Anniversary / Pastor Peace Ibiyeomie Celebrates Christmas With Widows And Orphans (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.