Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Why Faith Is Bad - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Faith Is Bad (16584 Views)

Faith Oyedepo's 60th Birthday: Adeboye, Enenche, Ibiyeomie Others Attend / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by TrajansKong: 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2016
jahstech:
I just saw a rainbow today yet again. Am waiting for science to give an explanation to that concept, am yet to see any

Statements like the above are the reason, I'll have to step away from the religion section of Nairaland again - at least for a while.

How can anyone respond to this abysmally low level of intelligence without feeling like a sadistic abuser of mentally-impaired children.

That's not good for me, or our people.

I need to rethink everything. Again.

Bye, for now...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
TrajansKong:

Statements like the above are the reason, I'll have to step away from the religion section of Nairaland again - at least for a while.

How can anyone respond to this abysmally low level of intelligence without feeling like a sadistic abuser of mentally-impaired children.

That's not good for me, or our people.

I need to rethink everything. Again.

Bye, for now...

It goes both way my friend, when I see some comments am forced to think as well, "How can some1 think like this despite the wealth of knowledge we have around us?" Believing we are all intelligent creatures we try to make the other person reason with us.

You can't help me from the MENTAL DARKNESS YOU perceive am into with that comment you just made.
I assume I need help and I need most down-to-earth person to explain to me.

Am a mathematics student and I hate it when my fellow mathematicians solve mathematics as if it is magic, I guess you are familiar with the mathematics called SURD, if you want to teach a layman SURD, you don't just tell him SURD 16 is 4, he will never learn, the best way to help him is break it down to the lowest possible.

That's how i reason and that's how I want things explained to me...

Thanks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by CAPSLOCKED: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
jahstech:

It goes both way my friend, when I see some comments am forced to think as well, "How can some1 think like this despite the wealth of knowledge we have around us?" Believing we are all intelligent creatures we try to make the other person reason with us.

You can't help me from the MENTAL DARKNESS YOU perceive am into with that comment you just made.

Am a mathematics student and I hate it when my fellow mathematicians solve mathematics as if it is magic, I guess you are familiar with the mathematics called SURD, if you want to teach a layman SURD, you don't just tell him SURD 16 is 4, he will never learn, the best way to help him is break it down to the lowest possible.

Thanks.

NOT MY BUSINESS,
BUT IF IT'S ABOUT THE RAINBOW YOU JUST SAW AND YOU ASKING FOR EXPLANATIONS FROM SCIENCE TO PROVE THAT GOD IS REAL, MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN AVERAGE SECONDARY SCHOOL KID WHO'S GAT A SCIENCE TEXTBOOK.

2 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 4:04pm On Jun 30, 2016
Omooba77:

if you believe Ogun,Sango,Oya,I wonder why you still doubt existence of Almighty God. It is a choice.

I prefer to use common sense. Your almighty god came to earth disguised as a Jew person because he had to sacrifice himself to himself. Doesn't make sense.

There is a source of the universe, but that bible didn't come from it. Everything in nature is replete with the source, there are no special people or chosen tribes.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by TrajansKong: 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2016
jahstech:

Thanks.

smiley You are correct, and I hope you accept my an apology for my rudeness.

It is just that this forum is so full of religious people making statements like the one you made that it is hard not to be baffled at the kind of discourse we generally entertain as Africans.

Rainbows have a straightforward explanation due to the refraction of light through rain or water particles in the sky. It is not supernatural and no one has been amazed by it in centuries.

My bad manners are caused by the realisation of how many centuries behind other ethnic and cultural groups we are in interpreting the natural world , and the fact that our spookist religious mania will imprison us forever.

I'm worried because I have children. Magic and Jesus have corrupted African minds and morality, and sometimes I get scared and angry to the point of rudeness. They can't inherit a world where we still believe in witches and talking animals while other peoples are preparing to explore the universe and leave us behind permanently to play with their disused and abandoned gods!

jahstech, thanks again for your graciousness. I hope what I've written makes sense, but surely you can see that the gods abandoned by our slavemasters and colonisers are not the way forward for us? I can't stand the thought that we'll die of ignorance...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2016
TrajansKong:

smiley You are correct, and I hope you accept my an apology for my rudeness.

It is just that this forum is so full of religious people making statements like the one you made that it is hard not to be baffled at the kind of discourse we generally entertain as Africans.

Rainbows have a straightforward explanation due to the refraction of light through rain or water particles in the sky. It is not supernatural and no one has been amazed by it in centuries.

My bad manners are caused by the realisation of how many centuries behind other ethnic and cultural groups we are in interpreting the natural world , and the fact that our spookist religious mania will imprison us forever.

I'm worried because I have children. Magic and Jesus have corrupted African minds and morality, and sometimes I get scared and angry to the point of rudeness. They can't inherit a world where we still believe in witches and talking animals while other peoples are preparing to explore the universe and leave us behind permanently to play with their disused and abandoned gods!

jahstech, thanks again for your graciousness. I hope what I've written makes sense, but surely you can see that the gods abandoned by our slavemasters and colonisers are not the way forward for us? I can't stand the thought that we'll die of ignorance...

I once told Seun, I think on this same topic or another thread that I can never fault him for the way he reasoned on some certain issues, same with you, the point you raised up there are very very valid, I 100% agree with you. FALSE religion has put the entire humanity in shambles, YOU can imagine just yesterday I saw a thread of a man of god praying for men with small joysticks for them to have bigger ones, and the so called followers who call themselves worshipers of god were all presenting themselves, that shows you the level of insanity FALSE Christianity and Religion in general has driven this world.

Instead of using christianity/religion to set reasonable morals, upright youths, a better future, christianity/religion is awash with the direct opposite, crime, hatred, terrorism, fornication, adultery, just to mention a few.

Reasonably, one is forced to question religion/christianity as a whole, but then what I see all around me is not what is actually contained in the Holy Books.. A closer look tells more than meets the eye...

Note that I said FALSE Religion/Christianity, meaning there is a TRUTH, but since the FALSE ones predominates NO one cares/believes you anymore if you try to tell them that's not the way Religion/Christianity ought to go, but instead Christianity/Religion is condemned in it's entirety.

CAPSLOCKED:

NOT MY BUSINESS,
BUT IF IT'S ABOUT THE RAINBOW YOU JUST SAW AND YOU ASKING FOR EXPLANATIONS FROM SCIENCE TO PROVE THAT GOD IS REAL, MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN AVERAGE SECONDARY SCHOOL KID WHO'S GAT A SCIENCE TEXTBOOK.
Sorry prof, I skipped some part in my secondary school days, that's why I made such lame remarks.

I stand to be corrected in whatever I type, I WANT TO LEARN, but I also need those who are eager and ready enough to answer my QUESTION...
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2016
Weah96:

I prefer to use common sense. Your almighty god came to earth disguised as a Jew person because he had to sacrifice himself to himself. Doesn't make sense.

There is a source of the universe, but that bible didn't come from it. Everything in nature is replete with the source, there are no special people or chosen tribes.

the bolded, NICE and LOGICAL Reasoning, another proof that false Religion don't know what they are saying or doing, you don't force someone to believe something illogical and when I ask you, you say that's the way it is, doesn't make sense...
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 12:05am On Jul 01, 2016
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BySEC_zeD1mjcUJHeklCZ1BrUnc

For those who care to ask questions, not just questions but reasonable ones, you are free to go through the above. A wise saying once said, "the one replying to a matter without hearing the FACTS is FOOLISH" don't draw conclusions hurriedly, there are and would alway be 2 sides to every coin.

Like I said am like an open book, if you are willing to take your time to explain to me am more than willing to hear you believing we are all intelligent creatures.

Angrily throwing out a student because you feel the question he asked is stupid still doesn't solve the question he raised in the first place.

I stand to be corrected....

Cc weah96, trajanskong, seun.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Millex(m): 10:54am On Jul 01, 2016
What ever things are true, what ever things as just, what every things are of good reports, be an example of believers, restitution, forgiveness, meekness, kindness, love, long suffering and other fruits of the spirit etc are a result of faith.

Even the bible says it that not everyone calling God will get to heaven, that's why we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, daily putting our bodies under subjection. As it's our bodies that wants to hate, be greedy, fight, defend, etc. Those are all fruits of the flesh.

Surely there are a lot of people calling God and are saying they are Christians but how many are genuinely born again? That's the question that should be asked before saying with all the Christianity and faith in the world there are still problems. If everyone who claimed to be a Christian were genuinely born again, then all the old adamic nature of sin would be non existent. Wickedness would stop, hate would stop, etc.

Just because some apples aren't sweet doesn't mean all apples aren't sweet.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 1:02pm On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=Millex post=47097458]What ever things are true, what ever things as just, what every things are of good reports, be an example of believers, restitution, forgiveness, meekness, kindness, love, long suffering and other fruits of the spirit etc are a result of faith.

Even the bible says it that not everyone calling God will get to heaven, that's why we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, daily putting our bodies under subjection. As it's our bodies that wants to hate, be greedy, fight, defend, etc. Those are all fruits of the flesh.

Surely there are a lot of people calling God and are saying they are Christians but how many are genuinely born again? That's the question that should be asked before saying with all the Christianity and faith in the world there are still problems. If everyone who claimed to be a Christian were genuinely born again, then all the old adamic nature of sin would be non existent. Wickedness would stop, hate would stop, etc.

Just because some apples aren't sweet doesn't mean all apples aren't sweet.]

And how do you identify these "born again" if I may ask, all I see everywhere are worshippers of men rather worshippers of God, hence what so-called men of God say holds rather than what the Bible actually says. Fanatics and haters everywhere, when your leader pray for you and tell you is God's will for you to kill your fellow man, you believe and act blindly. Hence the caption I see recently; "welcome to the church/religion in general, you can take off your brain cos you won't be needing it anymore".
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Millex(m): 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=jahstech post=47101336][/quote]
By their fruits you shall know them. If you don't see the fruits, then they aren't it's simple, forget all the tongues, forget the holier than thou attitude. If you don't see meekness, kindness, love, long suffering, perseverance, clean mouths, humility, etc

Once again by their fruits you shall know them. You answered yourself already, worshippers of men, when you see a true worshipper of God you would know by their fruits.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 1:25pm On Jul 01, 2016
Millex:

By their fruits you shall know them.

Am currently seeing the fruit everywhere, and the result is why you see more and more people embracing ATHEISM, how can YOU prove to these ones who are disillusioned by RELIGION/CHRISTIANITY in general that a certain good, no matter how small, can come out of following such hideous path?
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 2:32pm On Jul 01, 2016
What does the evidence reveal? If evo-
lution is true, then it should seem at
least reasonably possible that DNA could
have come about by means of a series of
chance events. If the Bible is true, then
DNA should provide strong evidence
that it is the product of an orderly, intelli-
gent mind

@Jahstech: the author of the booklet is facing the same roadblock as the majority of Nairaland theists in that he or she doesn't understand the argument.

The whole booklet is occupied with the desire to prove science wrong, with the assumption being that if the science is wrong, then the bible is right.
Nothing could be further than the truth.

If the bible is true, then all of its biggest claims would also be true. What do I mean? Well, assume that you are speaking to an assembly of the original original bible authors from the middle east. They have just gathered outside your house to bring you the good news, that they all spoke to the intelligent mind who created life and DNA, and have brought you a book from the mind to read lest you die in ignorance. They also want money to pay ministerial bills, but that's besides the point. You first instinct goes "scam artists, con men" but you still allow them to speak.

This is where the argument is. The authors must earn the right to continue the conversation otherwise it's going to take blind faith to believe that they aren't pis.sing in your face and calling it rain water.
The book either validates itself or the claimants need to start moving mountains. The book should have a chapter called "Ways to validate the message for all future generations" and proceed to give recipe for everyone to receive proof that these are not con men.

Or the authors should move about 2 or 3 mountains and teach you the method. Then you can bring the book to your neighbors house and pass the message along.

It has nothing to do with evolution or science. Science is trying to understand the process of the universe's emergence and how life began. It was always an uphill battle because we're already in the universe. But I don't see why the bible is the necessary alternative.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Millex(m): 2:52pm On Jul 01, 2016
jahstech:

Am currently seeing the fruit everywhere, and the result is why you see more and more people embracing ATHEISM, how can YOU prove to these ones who are disillusioned by RELIGION/CHRISTIANITY in general that a certain good, no matter how small, can come out of following such hideous path?
It's a pity the only fruits you see are the bad ones, that's because a lot of people are just church goers and not truly born again. Enjoy your day
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2016
Weah96:
[b][/b]

@Jahstech: the author of the booklet is facing the same roadblock as the majority of Nairaland theists in that he or she doesn't understand the argument.

The whole booklet is occupied with the desire to prove science wrong, with the assumption being that if the science is wrong, then the bible is right.
Nothing could be further than the truth.

If the bible is true, then all of its biggest claims would also be true. What do I mean? Well, assume that you are speaking to an assembly of the original original bible authors from the middle east. They have just gathered outside your house to bring you the good news, that they all spoke to the intelligent mind who created life and DNA, and have brought you a book from the mind to read lest you die in ignorance. They also want money to pay ministerial bills, but that's besides the point. You first instinct goes "scam artists, con men" but you still allow them to speak.

This is where the argument is. The authors must earn the right to continue the conversation otherwise it's going to take blind faith to believe that they aren't pis.sing in your face and calling it rain water.
The book either validates itself or the claimants need to start moving mountains. The book should have a chapter called "Ways to validate the message for all future generations" and proceed to give recipe for everyone to receive proof that these are not con men.

Or the authors should move about 2 or 3 mountains and teach you the method. Then you can bring the book to your neighbors house and pass the message along.

It has nothing to do with evolution or science. Science is trying to understand the process of the universe's emergence and how life began. It was always an uphill battle because we're already in the universe. But I don't see why the bible is the necessary alternative.

Thanks a million @Weah96, I really appreciate your response.

I must say am lost at some point in your above explanation.

But I would highlight some parts and try to throw more light on them..

FIRST AND FOREMOST, I DON'T WANT TO INVOLVE THE BIBLE IN OUR CONVERSATION AS OF NOW, IT WOULD HINDER OUR PROGRESS.
SECONDLY, I WAS OF THE OPINION THAT ATHEISM IS BORN OUT OF THE FRUSTRATION RELIGION HAS CAUSED AND HENCE THEY CONCLUDE THAT THERE IS NO GOD..

Bringing that booklet up was to buttress the point that there has to be an INTELLIGENT BEING somewhere, somehow for all the various SCIENCE BREAKING DESIGNS on EARTH/IN THE UNIVERSE to EXIST.

ATHEISM vies toward EVOLUTION to help explain the existence of intelligent beings, so I wanted we all to reason if the level of intelligence around us can occur by mere CHANCE??

If the bible is true, then all of its biggest claims would also be true.
If you want us to discuss the above am also happy to, Who said it isn't relevant in our day? We can delve into that if you want us to.

Surely the message applies to future generation and if you care I can show you why I came to such conclusion. The term you used "CON MEN" comes in handy due to the assertion of the current so called men of god who have become lovers of money rather than lovers of God..

But I don't see why the bible is the necessary alternative.
For now don't bother yourself about the BIBLE please, it would make things more complicated for us.

Please kindly point areas, I might have reasoned wrongly..
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 6:40am On Jul 02, 2016
jahstech:

Thanks a million @Weah96, I really appreciate your response.

I must say am lost at some point in your above explanation.

But I would highlight some parts and try to throw more light on them..

FIRST AND FOREMOST, I DON'T WANT TO INVOLVE THE BIBLE IN OUR CONVERSATION AS OF NOW, IT WOULD HINDER OUR PROGRESS.
SECONDLY, I WAS OF THE OPINION THAT ATHEISM IS BORN OUT OF THE FRUSTRATION RELIGION HAS CAUSED AND HENCE THEY CONCLUDE THAT THERE IS NO GOD..

Bringing that booklet up was to buttress the point that there has to be an INTELLIGENT BEING somewhere, somehow for all the various SCIENCE BREAKING DESIGNS on EARTH/IN THE UNIVERSE to EXIST.

ATHEISM vies toward EVOLUTION to help explain the existence of intelligent beings, so I wanted we all to reason if the level of intelligence around us can occur by mere CHANCE??

If you want us to discuss the above am also happy to, Who said it isn't relevant in our day? We can delve into that if you want us to.

Surely the message applies to future generation and if you care I can show you why I came to such conclusion. The term you used "CON MEN" comes in handy due to the assertion of the current so called men of god who have become lovers of money rather than lovers of God..

For now don't bother yourself about the BIBLE please, it would make things more complicated for us.

Please kindly point areas, I might have reasoned wrongly..

I didn't bring up the bible. The booket created the false dichotomy by presenting the bible as the necessary alternative to evolution and abiogenesis. So technically you brought up the bible not me.

Pertaining to the existence of an intelligent being, we must first appreciate how loaded the phrase is. It can be interpreted anyhow, and I'll tell you why, using the well worn watchmaker analogy. When you see a watch, you assume that someone intelligent designed it. However, implicit in your thought process lies the dormant acknowledgement that the anonymous human watchmaker used materials that already existed. But the corresponding watchmaker of the universe must have used zero prexisting materials, a fact which makes this an unprecedented design process. Intelligent designers always use prexisting materials. What do you then mean by the phrase intelligent being? We only measure intelligence in material terms. What we seem to be dealing with are subatomic particles, the only materials that violate common sense, but I will leave it at that for now. In short, saying that an intelligent being did it doesn't add anything meaningful to the mystery. The whole thing is unprecedented. More specificity is required, and that is where the various holy books come into play.

I graduated from georgia state with a degree in cell biology, so I know a thing or two about evolution. However, my neighbor, an Ethiopian immigrant, not only didn't study biology but also doesn't have a clue about the evolutionary process. He was an atheist when I met him, with an extremely beautiful Ethiopian wife in tow. His wife is also an atheist. So no, I don't think atheists necessarily espouse the theory of evolution. Educated ones, maybe. As for me, I find the theory to be entirely irrelevant to the discussion of the existence of a particular god. The idea of a more general God would perhaps require a reconciliation of the theory of evolution, but the so called religious gods (who were really humans on psychedelic drugs ) make independent claims that are rejected by reality. It doesn't matter whether an amoeba could have assembled itself by chance gradually, religion has gone waaay beyond that. There are other claims involved now, like pot of stew speaking and resurrections. The biggest of all the claim is the original one, that the progenitor of the universe, is actually something that speaks to human beings. Just not to me or other atheists. That claim is independent of evolution. For example, let's assume i agree with your position, that the universe is not the product of chance. Where do we go from there? We either go back to the holy book or we go to sleep and admit that our knowledge is incomplete.

I don't personally believe that the universe is the product of chance, there are possibilities in the quantum realm that address every paradoxical aspect of its generation. What we know as magic or counter intuitive proposition exists for real when atoms are smashed into tiny pieces. Those tiny particles, which make up 100% of everything, behave in ways that defy common sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hear this, all you peoples. Pay attention, all you inhabitants of the world, Both small and great, Rich and poor alike. My own mouth will speak wisdom, And the meditation of my heart will show understanding. I will pay attention to a proverb; I will expound my riddle with the harp. Why should I fear during times of trouble, When I am surrounded by the evil of those trying to overthrow me? Those who are trusting in their wealth And who boast about their great riches, None of them can ever redeem a brother Or give to God a ransom for him, (The ransom price for their life is so precious That it is always beyond their reach) That he should live forever and not see the pit. He sees that even wise people die; The stupid and the unreasoning perish together, And they must leave their wealth to others. Their inner wish is that their houses will last forever, Their tents to generation after generation. They have named their estates after themselves. But man, although honored, will not remain; He is no better than the beasts that perish. This is the way of the stupid ones And of those who follow them, who take pleasure in their empty words. They are assigned like sheep to the Grave. Death will shepherd them; The upright will rule over them in the morning. Every trace of them will fade away; The Grave rather than a palace will be their home. But God will redeem me from the power of the Grave, For he will take hold of me. Do not be afraid because a man becomes rich, Because the splendor of his house increases, For when he dies he can take nothing with him; His splendor will not go down with him. For during his lifetime he congratulates himself. People praise you when you prosper. But he finally joins the generation of his forefathers They will never again see the light. A man who does not understand this, although honored, Is no better than the beasts that perish.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 10:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
Weah96:

I didn't bring up the bible. The booket created the false dichotomy by presenting the bible as the necessary alternative to evolution and abiogenesis. So technically you brought up the bible not me.

Pertaining to the existence of an intelligent being, we must first appreciate how loaded the phrase is. It can be interpreted anyhow, and I'll tell you why, using the well worn watchmaker analogy. When you see a watch, you assume that someone intelligent designed it. However, implicit in your thought process lies the dormant acknowledgement that the anonymous human watchmaker used materials that already existed. But the corresponding watchmaker of the universe must have used zero prexisting materials, a fact which makes this an unprecedented design process. Intelligent designers always use prexisting materials. What do you then mean by the phrase intelligent being? We only measure intelligence in material terms. What we seem to be dealing with are subatomic particles, the only materials that violate common sense, but I will leave it at that for now. In short, saying that an intelligent being did it doesn't add anything meaningful to the mystery. The whole thing is unprecedented. More specificity is required, and that is where the various holy books come into play.

I graduated from georgia state with a degree in cell biology, so I know a thing or two about evolution. However, my neighbor, an Ethiopian immigrant, not only didn't study biology but also doesn't have a clue about the evolutionary process. He was an atheist when I met him, with an extremely beautiful Ethiopian wife in tow. His wife is also an atheist. So no, I don't think atheists necessarily espouse the theory of evolution. Educated ones, maybe. As for me, I find the theory to be entirely irrelevant to the discussion of the existence of a particular god. The idea of a more general God would perhaps require a reconciliation of the theory of evolution, but the so called religious gods (who were really humans on psychedelic drugs ) make independent claims that are rejected by reality. It doesn't matter whether an amoeba could have assembled itself by chance gradually, religion has gone waaay beyond that. There are other claims involved now, like pot of stew speaking and resurrections. The biggest of all the claim is the original one, that the progenitor of the universe, is actually something that speaks to human beings. Just not to me or other atheists. That claim is independent of evolution. For example, let's assume i agree with your position, that the universe is not the product of chance. Where do we go from there? We either go back to the holy book or we go to sleep and admit that our knowledge is incomplete.

I don't personally believe that the universe is the product of chance, there are possibilities in the quantum realm that address every paradoxical aspect of its generation. What we know as magic or counter intuitive proposition exists for real when atoms are smashed into tiny pieces. Those tiny particles, which make up 100% of everything, behave in ways that defy common sense.

Thanks boss Weah96 for your reply.

I would have loved a little bit of simplicity, I find it difficult to grasp some of your expressions.
From our discussion so far, there are 3 things I can comprehend;
1: One doesn't need to be an evolutionist to be an atheist
2: There are a lot of loopholes that needs filling..
3: Gods as painted by religion sounds evolutionary.

The major reason I flee from evolution theories is because I see that the "loophole" as perceived by some in the bible are more easily understood than those of evolution. We can discuss that

Let's leave everything you know about some gods previously and try to work on everything from the scratch.
If you keep dwelling on the garbage you call religion around you, you won't hesitate to burn the bible even if it was meters away from me.

Viewing the same tool that they are using to their dubious advantage would overwhelm you..

If you allow me, I would show you some reference along with historical findings that can support it.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 7:33am On Jul 03, 2016
Weah96:

That we are even discussing this topic is enough proof that humans have being desiring answers for a long long time and that many doubted the existence of a supreme intelligent designer.

The argument has been on for ages and ravages on, what's left is for we to verify with the little facts we have.

The BIBLE pointed out that argument like these occurred in time past and would continue to occur, why would I doubt such a book that affect every endeavor of human life? There is nothing, I mean it, nothing you say now that is new and I can't point out a reference from the bible.

Just imagine this bible passage:
Now while Paul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him became irritated on seeing that the city was full of idols. So he began to reason in the synagogue with the Jews and the other people who worshipped God and every day in the marketplace with those who happened to be on hand. But some of both the Ep·i·cu·reʹan and the Stoʹic philosophers began disputing with him, and some were saying: “What is it this chatterer would like to tell?” Others: “He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign deities.” This was because he was declaring the good news of Jesus and the resurrection.

Note that the setting occurred specific location with specific names that can be verified.

In all, OUR arguments is not far from what they've discussed, no matter how intellectual we claim to be now, so is not a coincidence that we are faced with this challenge over and over again.

Cc Weah96, Seun.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2016
jahstech:

Now while Paul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him became irritated on seeing that the city was full of idols. So he began to reason in the synagogue with the Jews and the other people who worshipped God and every day in the marketplace with those who happened to be on hand. But some of both the Ep·i·cu·reʹan and the Stoʹic philosophers began disputing with him, and some were saying: “What is it this chatterer would like to tell?” Others: “He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign deities.” This was because he was declaring the good news of Jesus and the resurrection.

How does that passage lend any credibility to the argument that the writer spoke with spirit who told him that it was the creator of the universe? My position is I don't believe that the universe has the type of creator that speaks to selected people.

The whole bible is based on that. Im supposed to accept that someone I dont know communicated with something who told them that it was a creator. That's fine if the evidence supports their claim, but it doesn't.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2016
Weah96:

How does that passage lend any credibility to the argument that the writer spoke with spirit who told him that it was the creator of the universe? My position is I don't believe that the universe has the type of creator that speaks to selected people.

The whole bible is based on that. Im supposed to accept that someone I dont know communicated with something who told them that it was a creator. That's fine if the evidence supports their claim, but it doesn't.

Thanks boss, if you permit, would you want us to discuss the evidence I have by comparing the bible along with history?
Am requesting this because the bible writers all claim inspiration from God, a book inspired by the creator as they say it should have some noteworthy expression/remarks that cut across all facet of life. Can I show you these with facts?
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 8:12pm On Jul 03, 2016
jahstech:

Thanks boss, if you permit, would you want us to discuss the evidence I have by comparing the bible along with history?
Am requesting this because the bible writers all claim inspiration from God, a book inspired by the creator as they say it should have some noteworthy expression/remarks that cut across all facet of life. Can I show you these with facts?

Please do. I would love to see particular revelations which serve as evidence of divine inspiration.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 11:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
Weah96:

Please do. I would love to see particular revelations which serve as evidence of divine inspiration.

Please I would try to contact you via pm
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by freeradical(m): 12:54am On Jul 04, 2016
W
Seun:
Faith in anything that is not true is bad. More people have been killed in the name of God than in the name of the devil.
Which empirical data can you show to back this claim? I guess your faith in atheism is the driving force in your making these bogus claim about religion. Atheism requires tremendous amount of faith to profess. Secondly the God you so desperately jettison for lack on proof,what proof have you supplied to disprove his existence?
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 1:17am On Jul 04, 2016
jahstech:

Please I would try to contact you via pm
Cmon man. Do you have proof or not?
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 7:24am On Jul 04, 2016
Weah96:

Cmon man. Do you have proof or not?
Yeah boss, a lot of them, kind of too much I don't know where to start from. Wanted to send you a book I on the subject that's why I sent a pm, so i can send it to your physical address and you can read for yourself.
If you don't like the idea let me know.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2016
jahstech:

Yeah boss, a lot of them, kind of too much I don't know where to start from. Wanted to send you a book I on the subject that's why I sent a pm, so i can send it to your physical address and you can read for yourself.
If you don't like the idea let me know.

Bad idea. I asked for proof that the authors of the bible made contact with an invisible person, who turned out to be the creator of the whole universe.

Are you saying that there's nothing in the bible itself? I don't think that you appreciate the nature of the evidence.

There must be some revealing information in the bible which attests to its non human source.
So far, there's no revelation in the bible that could have only come from a non human. You're supposed to show me bible passages that prove it came from an omnipotent non human.

Does the bible mention the future Jew called Mark Zuckerberg by his name? Strangely enough, that would be considered proof by my standards.

Does it mention the exact mass of the earth and planets? Exact composition of air? Does it come with solutions to future mathematics problems? These are things that humans did not know 2000yrs ago.

I dont want to read another book. The proof should be inside the bible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by jahstech: 3:58pm On Jul 04, 2016
Weah96:

Bad idea. I asked for proof that the authors of the bible made contact with an invisible person, who turned out to be the creator of the whole universe.

Are you saying that there's nothing in the bible itself? I don't think that you appreciate the nature of the evidence.

There must be some revealing information in the bible which attests to its non human source.
So far, there's no revelation in the bible that could have only come from a non human. You're supposed to show me bible passages that prove it came from an omnipotent non human.

Does the bible mention the future Jew called Mark Zuckerberg by his name? Strangely enough, that would be considered proof by my standards.

Does it mention the exact mass of the earth and planets? Exact composition of air? Does it come with solutions to future mathematics problems? These are things that humans did not know 2000yrs ago.

I dont want to read another book. The proof should be inside the bible.
Sorry about that.
Have you ever read the bible before? Or you just shy from it cos of "popular opinion" of your class?
Am more than willing to show you what you need, was just trying to buy time and give you ample evidence of my claims, my job isn't giving me all the time I need.
I would get back at you first thing tomorrow morning.
Cheers.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Weah96: 7:12am On Jul 05, 2016
jahstech:

Sorry about that.
Have you ever read the bible before? Or you just shy from it cos of "popular opinion" of your class?
Am more than willing to show you what you need, was just trying to buy time and give you ample evidence of my claims, my job isn't giving me all the time I need.
I would get back at you first thing tomorrow morning.
Cheers.

I have read the bible. I did not notice any bombshell revelation made therein to suggest that the writers spoke to an omniscient non human. Maybe you care to point them out. What did you read in it that made you realize that it was commissioned by the creator of the universe?
Was there anything mentioned in it that no human being could have revealed?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Best Friend Is Crazy About TB Joshua, Advise Please / What Is The Difference Between Soul Winning And Evangelism? / Usher Embarrasses Comedienne Princess In Poju Oyemade's Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.